Author Topic: Anfield Road  (Read 20695 times)

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
Anfield Road
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:30:13 pm »
Looks like the houses etc behind the round are no more

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=240309&page=66

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: Anfield Road
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:58:42 pm »
What are the plans for the area Ben?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:14:21 pm »
What are the plans for the area Ben?

A big fuck off stadium, sometime this century...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Morse

• -- --- .-. ... . .-.-..
  • No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #3 on: August 9, 2008, 04:11:35 pm »
Don't bet on it...

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
« Reply #4 on: August 9, 2008, 07:01:53 pm »
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 9, 2008, 09:11:07 pm »
I did say this century, we have another 91 years and a bit to build it.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 12:35:38 am »
since they knocked down the houses and that guesthouse opposite where there is basically sod all now, and it was said over ten years ago they couldn't make the anfield road higher because it would basically be overhanging the road below..

now those buildings have gone, why can't they build a bigger anfield road end and go higher, and bend the road around the new building through the vacant space or near enough so the stand can get up?

dam, they used to have burger stalls and cuppas there.  always got my bovril from the little hut
can i have my old name back please?

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2010, 11:46:01 am »
since they knocked down the houses and that guesthouse opposite where there is basically sod all now, and it was said over ten years ago they couldn't make the anfield road higher because it would basically be overhanging the road below..

now those buildings have gone, why can't they build a bigger anfield road end and go higher, and bend the road around the new building through the vacant space or near enough so the stand can get up?

dam, they used to have burger stalls and cuppas there.  always got my bovril from the little hut

I've been saying that for years.
They can build a huge stand there.
They could make a stand like Atletico Madrids and run a road under it if need be.

They also have space adjacent to the Cent stand and there is space behind the Main Stand.

"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2010, 10:42:27 pm »
can't they bend the road round the stand and create a cheaper option?

it'll have a heck of a gradient for an underground road to re-emerge with arkles lane. i'm visualising in my head about 40 metres from the corner to the start of the stand.  space would be a hindrance but a good idea mind, even though it'll create chaos on the other end as a gradient will have to be created too

i don't know the structure of madrid. i could imagine the road is going underneath the footing, or the stadium footing is built on top of a series of 'culverts' ?
« Last Edit: July 6, 2010, 11:07:42 pm by johnsouthwales »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2010, 11:48:53 pm »
there's a lot of room on the centenary stand side to play with, 25m.  the main stand has about 10m.  2metres if they want to keep the carpark lmoa.

now, that is a thought.. pull back the centenary 20m, drag over the kop and anfield road, pull over the mainstand and there's your new space to work on the new stand without having to knock down the houses behind, leave the shankly gates as they are and the memorial..

i reckon that will work.  relocate the centenary stand in year one, complete rebuild.  20 metres should create 12 rows of seats (some 4000+ seats).  rebuild the kop in year 2 (1994 rebuild took from may to december, partial crowd from august to december) - span it out a little to blend in on edges with new centenary and new main stand (approx 1000 seats), rebuild new stand year 3 (4000 seats), year 4 anfield rd rebuild (2000 seats)  extra 11,000 seats and only moved 20metres 56,000 capacity

but, there's always a but... if the centenary has room for manoueverabilty, it doesn't mean there is room down at the kop end/kemlyn road junction onto breck road...

i don't know if there is already a thread exploring this angle, so apologies if there is

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2010, 09:29:35 am »
Mmm, hold on a sec, lets drag three stands over. Err how are you planning that one again?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2010, 09:42:41 am »
now, that is a thought.. pull back the centenary 20m, drag over the kop and anfield road, pull over the mainstand and there's your new space to work on the new stand without having to knock down the houses behind, leave the shankly gates as they are and the memorial..

And while we're at it, we can clean under the stadium.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 7, 2010, 12:35:27 pm »
I suppose it could be done with new footings. Probably things like sewer have to redone. Just a thought like.. Obvious the pitch will have to move 20m as well eventually. The only 3 options are stay put, stay put and build higher or up sticks.. Its a bit of a pity they didnt make the centenary stand a bit higher in 1991,the idea of moving wasnt in any equation in those days. Even if they did, there still would have been a hiccup with main stand eventually. There's only so much that can be built on top of pre existing structures

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 7, 2010, 12:41:58 pm »
How many millions do you think it would take to physically move three stands all built on foundations and plonk 20 metres to the south of where they currently are.

Not really thought it through.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #14 on: July 7, 2010, 01:05:54 pm »
there's a lot of room on the centenary stand side to play with, 25m.  the main stand has about 10m.  2metres if they want to keep the carpark lmoa.

i reckon that will work.  relocate the centenary stand in year one, complete rebuild.  20 metres should create 12 rows of seats (some 4000+ seats).  rebuild the kop in year 2 (1994 rebuild took from may to december, partial crowd from august to december) - span it out a little to blend in on edges with new centenary and new main stand (approx 1000 seats), rebuild new stand year 3 (4000 seats), year 4 anfield rd rebuild (2000 seats)  extra 11,000 seats and only moved 20metres 56,000 capacity

but, there's always a but... if the centenary has room for manoueverabilty, it doesn't mean there is room down at the kop end/kemlyn road junction onto breck road...

I have posted some bullshit at these boards, but this is ridiculous ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 7, 2010, 01:09:07 pm »
I have posted some bullshit at these boards, but this is ridiculous ...

If it works i'm getting him to move the blocks of flats i live in 5 mins walk from Pier Head and sticking it right next to the Liver Building. Should slide easily as it is downhill.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #16 on: July 7, 2010, 01:24:44 pm »
If it works i'm getting him to move the blocks of flats i live in 5 mins walk from Pier Head and sticking it right next to the Liver Building. Should slide easily as it is downhill.

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #17 on: July 7, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »

Yup ... That's it ... We just need to find a big enough tractor ...

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 7, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »
From reading these forums there are 3 houses behind the main Stand that are still occupied.

Are the rest of the houses/land owned by the club?
If they are moved out, then the space can be used for a new stand.

Also I am wondering if the pitch could be lowered like Barcelona did about 10 years ago which gained them a few thousand more seats.

Can the cent stand have another tier built upon it with the car park space?

Regarding the Ath.Madrid stand and the road.
Here is a photo:

"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 7, 2010, 03:03:47 pm »
Slightly bigger road than Anny Rd though, motorway or ring road from memory of being on it in a taxi 8 years ago.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 7, 2010, 07:00:41 pm »
ah right, the road in madrid is a level road directly under the stand, and not an incline.

as for the rest, it'll cost a few million for building a new stadium anyway.....

- even if it is Bullshit.  it's been said redeveloping anfield whether rebuilding what they have got now or even shifting it a few metres......what other options are there?  yes by all means build a bigger mainstand and stay put. (wasn't it said the roof of the kop is a hindrance for rebuilding the main?)

rebuild the main which will bring in an extra 4k seats. then what? redo the anfield road end with or without a tunnel and bring in another 3k.  52k .... then what? redo centenary then the kop or leave the kop as it is. 54 - 55k
if that can be done, go for it... if not, move over the park.  this debate has been going on for 8 years whether to move or not.. many people have been resigned to moving and accepted it.  many people hope they don't have to move
« Last Edit: July 7, 2010, 07:02:54 pm by johnsouthwales »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 7, 2010, 07:53:10 pm »
oh by the way, i wasn't meaning physically drag three stands over lmoa. that would be a job and a half  ;D

the only problem with doing that would mean the pitch will be 25 metres away from the mainstand for 3 to 4 years, the anfied road end would be on a squiff for a year. and the kop.
the whole stadium would be on a squiff for a while, and hardly worth the bother for making an extra 1000 seats on the kop end.  pity they couldn't do the both goal ends at the same time.

so, the only options are
1. rebuild mainstand, anfield road, centenary
2. up sticks
3. stay as it is

Offline alfonso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 8, 2010, 09:14:01 am »
pity they couldn't do the both goal ends at the same time.

so, the only options are
1. rebuild mainstand, anfield road, centenary
2. up sticks
3. stay as it is

They could rebuild the road end. They have space behind to make it huge. I don't see any issue with it being bigger than the kop. The Kop will always be the Kop.

Build another tier onto the Cent. Stand, if the space available allows it. The mancs did it with their ground.

Rebuild the Main Stand if all the land behind is finally owned by the club.

Surely there would be an increase of over 15 thousand seats to over 60k if we did that. Plus exec. boxes could be built into the road end and Main stand.

Most importantly we would still be at one of the most historic stadiums in the world and not some soulless dome.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #23 on: July 8, 2010, 10:14:42 am »
They could rebuild the road end. They have space behind to make it huge. I don't see any issue with it being bigger than the kop. The Kop will always be the Kop.

Build another tier onto the Cent. Stand, if the space available allows it. The mancs did it with their ground.

Rebuild the Main Stand if all the land behind is finally owned by the club.

Surely there would be an increase of over 15 thousand seats to over 60k if we did that. Plus exec. boxes could be built into the road end and Main stand.

Most importantly we would still be at one of the most historic stadiums in the world and not some soulless dome.

Great if could happen.

You're right about the Anny Rd stand, it could be huge now there is nothing but park space behind it.

Plus although they could possibly made it bigger than the kop, it would a two tiered structure so the Kop would remain the largest single tier stand in the ground.

It's been a long time since the club seriously looked at extending Anfield, in that time engineering technology has advanced, plus there is a lot more space on 2 sides of the ground to work with.

The club should really look into this option again, it's got to be a lot cheaper than moving a few hundred yards, plus as you say we get to stay in of the most historic grounds in world football.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 8, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »
jeez, i just realised something which i forgot about.  well, not forgot about, undervisualised  .looks like the centenary stand can't be redone, rebuilt, shitfted or whatever..... nightmare

i doubt if the occupiers of skerries road will be happy. the back of skerries road houses are closer to the stand than i thought after looking at a couple of pics.

and while at it, the kop can't be rebuilt even if there was room on the centenary side, as the kop is at an angle, and would end up in the middle of breck road.. oops ..

going back to the main stand, most of the houses appear to be empty on the side adjacent to the stand. some of the houses on the left hand side are/were boarded up.

if the mainstand was given the go ahead, all the properties on the right hand side would be pulled down, the stand would take over the space in the current carpark, the old carpark would end up where the right hand side  are now.  the residents would have a view that they didn't have before as all they see currently is the frontage of the houses to be replaced with a new frontage of the stand and a set of railings

Offline Tes

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 01:42:20 am »
Great if could happen.

You're right about the Anny Rd stand, it could be huge now there is nothing but park space behind it.

Plus although they could possibly made it bigger than the kop, it would a two tiered structure so the Kop would remain the largest single tier stand in the ground.

It's been a long time since the club seriously looked at extending Anfield, in that time engineering technology has advanced, plus there is a lot more space on 2 sides of the ground to work with.

The club should really look into this option again, it's got to be a lot cheaper than moving a few hundred yards, plus as you say we get to stay in of the most historic grounds in world football.

Sorted. Spades in the ground in what.....say........60 days?
Hicks and Gillett - forever in THEIR debt.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 12:18:48 pm »

Not read through this part of the site for a while (it's all seemed a bit pointless) but the above comment sums up my thoughts at the moment.

If we get new owners, and providing they are not a Hicks Mark II (god forbid), then the new stadium idea is going to be back in the spotlight. To avoid the situation at Valencia, I'd favour a redeveloped Anfield, done in stages, starting with the Anfield Road end. I say this, not just because of emotional ties, but because it might be the only way of increasing capacity and revenue without bankrupting us.

If we've got owners who put the club first, that means first and foremost ensuring that we're on a sound financial footing. Hopefully in time, debts can be cleared and profits used on strengthening the playing side and increasing the stadium capacity/revenue-generating ability. Paying for a new stadium, be it 60K or 70K, puts an immediate strain on that financial stability. The more pragmatic approach would be to increase the size gradually, concentrating on what is affordable.

With that in mind, is there anyone on here who could provide an educated guess as to how many more a) seats and b) boxes a redeveloped Anfield Rd end could potentially provide, now that there's the space to 'think big'?

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 12:37:03 pm »
Exacly how much land around Anfield is now free?

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #28 on: October 1, 2010, 07:52:48 am »
Can you highlight which parts on an aerial photo ?

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #29 on: October 1, 2010, 08:11:00 pm »
"How" it's done is not as important as "why"; otherwise the discussion would get bogged down in technicalities.

The important thing is that new stadium is not good for us and a redeveloped Anfield in better.

Redeveloping Anfield or building a new stadium is very much a technical issue ...

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 2, 2010, 02:33:28 am »
Let's assume for a minute that there are technical difficulties with Anfield (with views , sightlines, columns, corners, overhangs, pitch surround etc etc) and that these have been identified and solved. Let's then say you can extend Anfield to 60,000 with all the hospitality, boxes etc etc for significantly less borrowing or even in stages from cash flow and so create a lot more money for the team (and less for Mark II profiteers). Let's say we could see improvement by 2011 instead of 2014. Let's say we get to stay at Anfield. We keep the Kop, everyone has a great view, the new-look Anfield is bold, impressive and intimidating. Which would you choose - that, or a new stadium that will kill us?

You genuinely think that if it made financial sense to redevelop Anfield, a new stadium would be built just because it was new and shiny?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline belfast-connection

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 2, 2010, 07:19:02 am »
Redeveloping Anfield or building a new stadium is very much a technical issue ...

that would be an ecumenical matter
HE SAID ‘BIGGER’ PEOPLE ‘BIGGER’. OK, MOVE ALONG PEOPLE, THERE’S NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32 on: October 2, 2010, 01:00:45 pm »
No. But if a new stadium makes a great return for an investor (in the region of £30m a year) then that would be the reason they would want to build a shiny new stadium, even though there would be very little extra profit in it for the club and development of the team.

Then why were Moores and Parry pushing for the new stadium over the redev of Anfield? As neither of those were looking for the great return personally.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #33 on: October 2, 2010, 03:50:09 pm »
Let's assume for a minute that there are technical difficulties with Anfield (with views , sightlines, columns, corners, overhangs, pitch surround etc etc) and that these have been identified and solved. Let's then say you can extend Anfield to 60,000 with all the hospitality, boxes etc etc for significantly less borrowing or even in stages from cash flow and so create a lot more money for the team (and less for Mark II profiteers). Let's say we could see improvement by 2011 instead of 2014. Let's say we get to stay at Anfield. We keep the Kop, everyone has a great view, the new-look Anfield is bold, impressive and intimidating. Which would you choose - that, or a new stadium that will kill us?

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=258704.msg7394826#msg7394826

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 2, 2010, 04:08:45 pm »
No. But if a new stadium makes a great return for an investor (in the region of £30m a year) then that would be the reason they would want to build a shiny new stadium, even though there would be very little extra profit in it for the club and development of the team.

So you're saying that the new stadium would generate more money but not for the team? Err.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 2, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »
And you think we can afford to redevelop Anfield without loans? That's without the actual engineering problems involved...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: October 2, 2010, 04:55:05 pm »
And you think we can afford to redevelop Anfield without loans? That's without the actual engineering problems involved...

Exactly.

Is redeveloping Anfield free?

What about the loss in revenue for the multiple seasons we'd have to reduce the capacity to redo the certain parts of the ground?

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #37 on: October 2, 2010, 04:55:21 pm »
So you're saying that the new stadium would generate more money but not for the team? Err.
TMOI is saying that a redeveloped Anfield might represent a better financial answer than a 60k New Anfield. Which is true.

But because we do not know how much a 60k New Anfield will now cost, nor do we know how it will be built or financed, nor do we know how much a redeveloped existing Anfield would cost or how it will be built or financed neither he, nor anyone else, knows for sure.

The "investor" who builds a stadium could be the Clubs new owners, it could be G&H (Unlikley), it could be built by Independent Investors who then lease, or sell the stadium back to the club, it could be set up by the owner an an independent limited liability stand alone Special Purchase Vehicle, it could be LFC & Everton, and it could be built by an independent company to sell or lease back to LFC & EFC. The financial dynamics of each arrangement are quite different.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2010, 05:01:33 pm by xerxes1 »
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: October 2, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »
TMOI is saying that a redeveloped Anfield might represent a better financial answer than a 60k New Anfield. Which is true.

Thats all well and true (and Im not for one minute saying which would be the best idea), but his example he is giving for why it does suggests its purely down to 'an investor wanting a return' but that same argument exists for how we would fund any redevelopment of Anfield.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #39 on: October 2, 2010, 05:04:03 pm »
Quote from: xerxes1 on Today at 04:55:21 PM

Thats all well and true (and Im not for one minute saying which would be the best idea), but his example he is giving for why it does suggests its purely down to 'an investor wanting a return' but that same argument exists for how we would fund any redevelopment of Anfield.

I agree. His example is meaningless, uncosted comparisons with unknown owner/investment.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"