Author Topic: Baldurs Gate 3  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Baldurs Gate 3
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2023, 02:37:45 pm »
Not really. In the zones available to you, you do have the freedom to roam around and execute whatever you want in order you want. But you're funneled into areas and from what I know need to finish them before moving on to the next act and not really go back later. BG2 was pretty much 'here, go around and do whatever' - this is the world and it's yours.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2023, 02:57:23 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2023, 02:58:25 pm »
Yeah, I would agree with that. On the one hand, you have loads of freedom to do whatever you want and be creative whether it's during combat or when you're exploring the world. On the other hand, it really feels very streamlined in a way. One thing I also don't like is how they've implemented the companions. They all get thrown at you basically right at the start and all their stories are in a way connected to the main storyline and overlap each other. I'd love to use certain companions while following certain parts of "their" quest, but that would kind of mean constantly switching them and I'm not really a fan of that. Would very much have preferred it, if their stories were somewhat disconnected from the main story (some of them kind of are or at least they're not that closely connected to the main story), so they'd basically branch off and you could decide to follow a questline taking the companion with you for it.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2023, 03:22:27 pm »
I’m on Xbox so I will have to wait a while.

Is it more like Divinity: Original Sin than original BGs?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2023, 03:28:30 pm »
Bit more, not completely.
You can feel the skeleton is Divinity, but they've done their best to make it feel like old BG games.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: September 5, 2023, 11:05:23 am »
So took the plunge and bought last night, spent an hour on char designer alone, is nicely done.

I liked and have original Baldur's gate games, all boxed. Sad to hear this takes it's lead from Divinity more though, but what the hell, all decent games.

Pros:

Love the visuals and atmosphere, really nailed it there. Cinematics are extremely well done.
Audio, as the visuals, really nice.
Story and atmosphere, cannot really rate the story yet but it oozes D&D atmosphere.
Moddable. Seen a fair few mods available, will try some out once I have had a good run on my first character.

Cons:

The camera pitch is weird, would be nice to just hold the middle mouse and pitch and rotate the camera (on PC). Maybe I'm just missing something here but I rarely face where I want and it's annoying! Probably a mod there that fixes this, who knows.
Combat is decent but a little clunky, would have preferred an option to toggle turn based and live action combat. It is not a perfect game until that happens, which is very unlikely.
I have concerns it's not as sandbox as the other Baldur games, disappointing really.

So there you are, decent game with some things it could improve on, it's not the mega amazing best game ever in the whole world, if you're a fan of RPGs though it's a very slick and polished entry in the series.

- all in my opinion of course -

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #46 on: September 5, 2023, 03:59:10 pm »
Think you'll get used to the camera, I actually changed from middle click to right click and my brain started working. Before that I was using controller as I hated it.

That said, there are 3/4 camera mods on Nexus already so might be worth taking a look.
:D

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 6, 2023, 08:50:35 pm »
I played this for a couple of hours earlier. The character customisation depth is something else.

I don't usually play games like this although I did play a bit of Divinity 2 a bit back I just love the narration and variety of characters. I'm just finding my feet as there seems to be quite a lot of options in battle and the action wheel (on console) takes some getting used to.

Online Santiago

• Main Stander
  • Yeeeessss!!!
« Reply #48 on: September 7, 2023, 04:35:56 pm »
Been at this for days now and still in act 1, i keep restarting, same character, human fighter, specializing as eldritch knight with 2 levels of wizard, (going for a witcher build, not Geralt) although only L3 at the moment.  I think the problem is being able to dedicate the required time to get immersed into it, im still at the very high level superficial mindset at the moment and I need to be able to spend a proper amount of time getting into the gameworld.

Having said that, its still bloody great and i'm not even going to think about Starfield or AC:Mirage till im done with this

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #49 on: September 9, 2023, 10:42:13 am »
At the end of Act 2

Really is brilliant, one of the best games ever.

Would say don't bother restarting - make a lot of saves. It's in keeping with the D&D experience.
Experiment and have fun.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #50 on: September 9, 2023, 01:30:55 pm »
I absolutely love this game.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 9, 2023, 08:07:02 pm »
Reading about the guy who killed Act 2 final boss by slipping 15k gold in his pocket and one-shotting him with a weapon that scales with amount of money the enemy has. 🤣

Got to love the amount of creativity and effort.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 9, 2023, 08:08:33 pm »
I’m at the Gauntlet of Shar now. Really enjoying the game so far. Much more linear than previous BG games, but still a worthy successor.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2023, 09:26:01 am »
Did nothing this weekend except play this, god it’s fantastic. I’m just taking my time, looting everything that’s not nailed down, romancing Astarion

Seriously though, it’s shaping up to be one of the best games I’ve ever played. Starfield will have to wait.

Online Santiago

• Main Stander
  • Yeeeessss!!!
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2023, 12:35:55 pm »
Did nothing this weekend except play this, god it’s fantastic. I’m just taking my time, looting everything that’s not nailed down, romancing Astarion

Seriously though, it’s shaping up to be one of the best games I’ve ever played. Starfield will have to wait.

Exactly my weekend as well, too hot to do anything else.  I'm definately "in" now.  Limitless ways of handling encounters, opportunity to actually roleplay a CRPG.

Only 2 things I can think of to make it better
1. When in camp you should be able to manipulate all companions inventory without having to drop and add them from the party, it a real drag.
2. Should be able to change party members when it comes to skill checks, not all the time, not in surprise encounters for example, but why would you have someone try to persuade an npc when they are obviously no good at it!  I know there is the change character option when in convo but it doesnt actually do anything useful.

Other than that, GOY for me.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2023, 12:45:08 pm »
I definitely went too fast at the start and didn't really look around. I missed Gale, Asterion and Lae'zel at first. The latter is completely gone now but apparently she shows up later anyway.

Nearly at the end of Act 1 however I did venture into the underdark briefly and encountered a couple of minotaurs which completely wiped me out so I can't help but think I'm underleveled for that area. I still don't feel like I've entirely grasped the combat and the best way to always use each characters attributes.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2023, 09:49:36 am »
Though I really love this game, I have to say it feels infinitely more constricted and linear than the old Baldur's Gate titles, especially BG2. It's partially to do with the way it's broken into acts, locking you away from areas after you leave, never giving you that punch in the face of - holy hell, I can go anywhere (and get eaten by wolves immediately). But also bulk of the maps you are given to explore are largely to do with progressing the main quest. Old BG games had whole areas, huge dungeons and numerous details of this ancient world that had absolutely nothing to do with anything besides good old adventuring. You would stumble upon them, possibly on your way to do something about the main quest and get lost in them for hours. BG3 is not into adventuring all that much, at least so far as I'm starting Act 3. It's firmly keeping you focussed on progressing the story, peppering your path with some bonus quests and small areas, but nothing major.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2023, 12:54:21 pm »
The biggest issue I have with the linearity is that you get the majority of your companions thrown at you right from the beginning and all their stories basically take place parallel to the main story. I would very much have preferred it, if they had somehow split that up a bit more so you get to play with different groups and there's an incentive to do so instead of having to force yourself. For example, I haven't used Halsin at all, also left the other character you pick up before act 3 back in camp most of the time. And from the rest of the crew I rarely use the magician and the warlock and Karlakh also stays in camp most of the time, which is a shame in my view. Especially when you stumble upon something that concerns their questline during main story quests.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2023, 01:17:58 pm »
I really don't care all that much for companions, but yes, stockpiling them in the camp is kinda pointless to me. I've only really used Gale (who is now mostly in camp), Laezel, Shadow and Astarion. I haven't even tried the other ones, Wyll, Karlach (I'm a barbarian), Halsin, the new divine girl - all of them are just there for decoration.

Again, if it was one huge world, where you could travel back - they could probably just leave those you may want to recruit where you initially found them, or where they told you they'd be. As it is, they need to lug all of them with you.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2023, 07:16:42 pm »
Just bought this, the character creation screen is quite something. Gonna be here for a while...
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2023, 09:17:49 pm »
Don't really understand the linearity shouts on here to be honest.

The game has acts and those acts by-and-large are represented by regions or areas, but those areas aren't really a corridor. For example there's at least 4 ways to enter the second act, all completely different.

But in any case that is really discussing the world of Baldur's Gate which really isn't the meat and potatoes of the game. The narrative and combat is where this game is as far from linear as I've ever played, to be honest. It's not meant to be Elden Ring or Zelda.

I've been playing with my house-mate in co-op along with occasionally dipping into my single player run and after 10 hours the two games could not have been more different, especially considering how early game that is. I've mainly continued with co-op but I can't wait to finish my own game around Christmas time just to see how it all pans out when the threads are unraveled.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2023, 09:38:50 pm »
It’s just my feeling really. The world somehow feels more cramped even than old BG titles to me. It’s different in a way and I do feel it lost something by enforcing that area division by acts. Ideally those areas would still be open to travel back to, possibly seeing some changes based on the actions you’ve taken.

Story is nice and dense, main one that is. Combat I really like. I could see myself doing several playthroughs just to try out all classes I’m interested in, or experiment with multiclassing.

But I do think it lacks general, pointless, unexpected and random adventuring. Is there a single major dungeon anywhere that isn’t linked to the main story? Just some place to explore because it’s there, in this rich and old world.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 09:40:39 pm by Zlen »

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2023, 10:51:32 am »
My memory might be shoddy, but I’m pretty sure BG1 had Acts and everything you did inevitably led to moving on through them. Are you saying the difference is you can’t move back to old areas in the new game?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2023, 01:50:02 pm »
My memory might be shoddy, but I’m pretty sure BG1 had Acts and everything you did inevitably led to moving on through them. Are you saying the difference is you can’t move back to old areas in the new game?

Yes, it had acts, just small cutscene interludes.
No, not everything you did was in service of moving through to the next act, neither is it so in BG3.
It's not just going back through the entire map, as I said, it feels like any given area or quest is one of three thing, progressing the main plot, party member quest or some small side quest.

I mean, it's fine, just does in a weird way feel cramped.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2023, 05:50:25 pm »
Got myself massively hyped for this, and wasn't really feeling it for the twelve hours or so after the intro

Now I've got myself some decent gear, started moving into builds, got some buffs that make it feel like more of a fair fight (playing Tactician) and my party's abilities are working in tandem with one-another, and I'm bloody loving it. Helps that navigating the menus is becoming something that I don't have to think about, it's making moving items around and using one-use items a lot easier.

Don't know why the full screen character sheet with inventory only seems to be an option on the PC version. Wish the party size was 5 so I could get both Karlach and Lae'zel in :(
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 05:54:13 pm by rowan_d »

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2023, 07:16:18 pm »
This game just keeps on giving!....

Act 1 in the underdark..

Spoiler

Turns out nere is a right twat and so I have to do away with him, and all his absolute dwarf weirdo's! Completely outnumbered I manage to get the high ground, one by one I pick them off (spike growth came in handy slowing them down) The absolute buzz of finishing them all when you are outnumbered 3/1 is something else
[close]

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2023, 07:32:21 pm »
Ah so good to see…

Spoiler
Sarevok again. Handed his ass to him, though it was a challenging fight. Must try a run on tactician, balanced feels a touch too easy.
[close]

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2023, 12:40:43 pm »
Wish the party size was 5 so I could get both Karlach and Lae'zel in :(

Same! I love Karlach, but I’d miss Lae’zel’s snark too much.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2023, 06:20:31 pm »
Lae'zel is quite hilarious and actually has one of the deeper story lines.

Killed her at the start of my own play through when she gave me the ultimatum with the Tieflings, she's now just a corpse in my camp I can't ressurect. ;D

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2023, 06:24:49 pm »
Have to say, I kind of love all the characters (at least the ones you pick up right at the beginning). Astarion is quite hilarious as well...

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2023, 07:04:30 pm »
Have to say, I kind of love all the characters (at least the ones you pick up right at the beginning). Astarion is quite hilarious as well...

He’s a big softie.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2023, 07:14:33 pm »
And he hates clowns. 😁

Offline spartan2785

• Main Stander
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2023, 09:08:18 pm »
Gosh I don't think I've played a game in awhile that I have been so engrossed by, find myself looking forward during my working day to be able to play this, almost a part of me not wanting to socialize in order to get more hours in, been a long long time since a game has done that to me. 

I didn't nearly enjoy the two Divinity games as I have this one.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2023, 04:11:38 pm »
Act 3 is so dense.

Been plowing through it for a few days, still haven’t even opened the whole city map.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2023, 04:52:38 pm »
Only the final boss remaining for me. Pretty much ran most of my playthrough with my barbarian dude, Shadowheart, Laezel and Astarion. Only used Gale few times when I needed AOE spells or some other specific skills. I’ll probably play it again once it lands on Xbox and try some different classes.

Not sure how well balanced the levels/bosses are to be honest. I reached level 12 almost immediately after I entered Baldur’s gate. Been pulverising everything in my path since.  Few more levels and stronger end bosses would be better.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2023, 09:09:54 am »
Finished my first BG3 play through.
I would probably rate it around 8.3/10.
90-ish hours in the end and I was fairly diligent in turning every rock and chasing every quest I could.

The Good:
Decent, though not top quality story. I did find it interesting and engaging enough throughout. Classes and subclasses are very good, varied and link up well with what I think is the best aspect of the game - combat. Combat was excellent, almost all fights require something different from you. There are so many ways to approach them and ways to get through and I’ll probably do another play through just to try out different classes and have a go at hard mode for additional combat challenge. Some party members and villains were great and very memorable. The ones I ran with for 90% of the game (Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae’zel) all had me invested in their stories and were really well fleshed out. Though none reached the Jon Irenicus levels of epic - few villains were really great and by the time I faced them I felt we had history between us and I was itching to kick their ass.

The Bad:
Closing off the map and delivering it in bits and pieces just doesn’t sit with me. If they implemented an option where you can go back to previously played areas and see the impact of your actions, that would be great. Also the fact that you struggle to reach the city only to essentially remain locked in there, deprived me of one of the major joys of games like this. You find a big city/hub, set up, then go out adventuring, explore, come back to the city/hub, sell the shit you looted and go again. No such thing in BG3, in fact my main gripe with the game is a chronic lack of random adventuring, as almost everything is in some way tied to the main quest and drives that narrative forward. Also I think the level scaling is, or was in my case, pretty unbalanced. As I was fairly detailed in clearing out areas, I reached Lv12 almost instantly upon entering the city. Which made almost all subsequent fights fairly easy. My party peaked too early and for 20 hours I wasn’t collecting any xp, only loot.

The Meh:
Not enough great shops or legendary items. The overhyped guy you’re liberating with the hammer, turns out to be a wet sock with two spells and pathetic punches you need to work hard to keep alive during end game battles. Enchanting items would be a nice touch, giving some flexibility on what build to create. Some areas are buggy, nothing major. Party pathfinding, especially when it involves jumping - was consistently crap.

All in all, one to pick up again, possibly on a console after some GOTY/Ultimate Edition is released and everything is polished.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 09:32:44 am by Zlen »

Online Santiago

• Main Stander
  • Yeeeessss!!!
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2023, 01:02:38 pm »
Thanks for the review Zlen

I've got over 100 hrs and have yet to complete Act 1 (restarted about 4 times).

From my experience so far it could do with some quality of life additions, mainly around inventory management. I take your points about being restricted compared to the first 2.  Maybe a future add-on with procedurally generated random adventuring scenarios would be a good idea, better still, access to the toolkit so the community can create some custom content, like they did with NWN.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2023, 01:13:51 pm »
Yeah, inventory is messy at best.

Having to release a party member in the camp then take on another one - just to get something left behind in the inventory of the latter party member drove me up the bloody wall. Make them all accesible in the camp all the gear swappable as well, so I can level them up, test out the gear that would work with them and just not do pointless shit repeatedly.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2023, 01:26:48 pm »
This game has a stranglehold on me like no other game has since Disco Elysium, it's utterly magnificent

Just got to Act 3, had a bit of a roam around Rivington, actually had to do it twice due to a reload, went another way and despite being maybe 50 yards from where I was on the reload (the Circus of the Last Days) I found a whole new sidetrack that set me off in a completely different way for about 2 hours.

This game is one of the best games I have ever played

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2023, 02:17:37 pm »
The support they're doing via patches is great, really impressed with Larian