Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Remake (with added Rebirth)  (Read 28073 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Remake
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2015, 02:14:43 pm »
That's actually brilliant. I don't have a PS4, but if I did I think it would help for sure. In fact I'm pretty sure it helped a bunch with SNES games I played as a kid.

I'd still love an HD remake though.

I also probably wouldn't mind a FFXII system, or just any system where you actually enter into a battle screen and use skills. Something that vaguely resembles old school FF games.

Most important of all, it has to play that little fanfare at the end of every fight.
Dadadadah dah dah Dadadadah...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2015, 08:17:33 am »
The 3x speed mode helps with the original on the PS4.  How you can easily flip it on and off makes it a lot more enjoyable.  And unlike the same thing on emulators the music / sound effects stay at the normal tempo :)

Wish they'd release Final Fantasy IX in a similar fashion. Speeding it up on an emulator is a tad annoying, I'd happily pay £15 for that.

They should actually just remake Final Fantasy IX and sod this off, though maybe it will create a super AAA FF remake trend.
:D

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2015, 12:53:47 pm »
X already got remastered on PS4. They might as well remake the golden oldies along with 7. 9 is my favourite and 8 has its audience too.

I have 4 for the DS, it seems very character focused. The one I want to play properly is 6, I've heard too much about Kefka to NOT play it at some point in my life.

Offline The Real Rasta

• Leave Ronaldo alone!!!!!
  • Kopite
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2015, 01:06:10 pm »
Wish they'd release Final Fantasy IX in a similar fashion. Speeding it up on an emulator is a tad annoying, I'd happily pay £15 for that.

They should actually just remake Final Fantasy IX and sod this off, though maybe it will create a super AAA FF remake trend.
If they are remaking any Final Fantasy it should be VIII.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2015, 01:08:49 pm »
If they are remaking any Final Fantasy it should be VIII.

In the mighty words of Squall

"..."

Offline The Real Rasta

• Kopite
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2015, 01:13:02 pm »
In the mighty words of Squall

"..."
;D

It's my favourite game ever so I may be slightly bias haha, I'm a Final Fantasy nut so I'd take any remake going but I'm hoping this does well and they decide to remake others.

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2015, 02:53:42 pm »
IX for me! Not even on Steam though....
@TomNJones on Twitter

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2015, 03:17:31 pm »

I'm a bit tempted to get a Vita just for old FF games, there's loads available and I spend a good hour and half travelling every day. The only downside is I'll then be one of those grown men who play video games in public.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2015, 03:23:22 pm »
If they re-mastered 8 I'd be so happy, I bloody love that game and the story, absolutely awesome

JUNCTION FTW!

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2015, 03:32:50 pm »
If they re-mastered 8 I'd be so happy, I bloody love that game and the story, absolutely awesome

JUNCTION FTW!

Have you looked on PC? For some reason my memory is horribly fuzzy on this but I'm sure I played it a while ago on PC with a few mods and it looked decent enough.

Offline The Real Rasta

• Kopite
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2015, 03:43:43 pm »

JUNCTION FTW!
There is a remastered version available for PC, so I would think it'll make it's way to PS4 at some point. It's easily the best story of any Final Fantasy, Squall and Rinoa is probably the greatest love story ever and the junction system was awesome as was Triple Triad. I don't understand why it doesn't get more love personally.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2015, 03:56:40 pm »

I think thats because it never had a PC release back in day like VII and VIII.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2015, 04:26:06 pm »
There is a remastered version available for PC, so I would think it'll make it's way to PS4 at some point. It's easily the best story of any Final Fantasy, Squall and Rinoa is probably the greatest love story ever and the junction system was awesome as was Triple Triad. I don't understand why it doesn't get more love personally.

It wasn't VII and people really loved VII, so they didn't like VIII. I thought the junction system was brilliant, too. I remember how happy I was when I finally got Speed-J unlocked, it was the final piece of a devastating build. The summons were massive and powerful but would only get you so far, it was a waste of time spamming lesser monsters with them and against the big guns you had to use them cleverly. The draw magic thing was really clever, too.
And Rinoa. Damn that girl was just trouble, trouble, trouble, but you'd go up in some weird spaceship thing for her, even if all you could say to her was "..." half the time.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2015, 04:43:16 pm »
It wasn't VII and people really loved VII, so they didn't like VIII. I thought the junction system was brilliant, too. I remember how happy I was when I finally got Speed-J unlocked, it was the final piece of a devastating build. The summons were massive and powerful but would only get you so far, it was a waste of time spamming lesser monsters with them and against the big guns you had to use them cleverly. The draw magic thing was really clever, too.
And Rinoa. Damn that girl was just trouble, trouble, trouble, but you'd go up in some weird spaceship thing for her, even if all you could say to her was "..." half the time.

Yeah VIII was a really great game, I liked a lot of the characters and weapons too and the cutscenes were a huge step up from VII. It seems to get a lot of hate for the late twist in the story that I'm hesitant to spoil even now, but I don't remember it being bad enough to ruin the game for me at the time and I've enjoyed replaying it since.

I still haven't played IX, I've almost decided to buy a Vita + IX and that can be my Christmas holiday sorted.

Offline The Real Rasta

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2015, 06:53:10 pm »
Yeah VIII was a really great game, I liked a lot of the characters and weapons too and the cutscenes were a huge step up from VII. It seems to get a lot of hate for the late twist in the story that I'm hesitant to spoil even now, but I don't remember it being bad enough to ruin the game for me at the time and I've enjoyed replaying it since.

I still haven't played IX, I've almost decided to buy a Vita + IX and that can be my Christmas holiday sorted.
Maybe because I was only 8 when it came out but the the twist was believable to me so I've always accepted it. It was years after my first playthrough until I even realised people had such a big issue with so it's never affected my enjoyment and like you say it doesn't ruin the game anyway.

Offline The Real Rasta

• Kopite
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2015, 06:58:26 pm »
Yea junction system was great, spent so much time grinding but the satisfaction was next to no other once you were perfectly setup. I was in love with Rinoa as a young boy haha.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2015, 09:13:32 pm »

Triple Triad <3

The story was just great, Laguna's arc as well! I still remember the cutscene of Balamb Garden vs Galbadia oh man!!

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:52 pm »
It wasn't VII and people really loved VII, so they didn't like VIII.

I don't think it has much to do with that, I'm not a huge VII fan but with VIII it was a struggle to finish it. It had it's moments though.

You could just buy a PSP for like £20, download a PSI iso and you're sorted.

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2015, 11:36:38 pm »
I'm a bit tempted to get a Vita just for old FF games, there's loads available and I spend a good hour and half travelling every day. The only downside is I'll then be one of those grown men who play video games in public.

Me too, but spending a minimum of 100 quid just to play one 15 year old game seems excessive.
@TomNJones on Twitter

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2015, 12:29:04 am »

You could just buy a PSP for like £20, download a PSI iso and you're sorted.

Me too, but spending a minimum of 100 quid just to play one 15 year old game seems excessive.

Haha, yeah they're pretty pricey but then I have a PS Plus account which comes with a lot of free Vita games, plus it looks like quite a few indie devs have been putting their games on the Vita too so it's got a pretty decent library these days.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2015, 03:00:20 am »
I don't think it has much to do with that, I'm not a huge VII fan but with VIII it was a struggle to finish it. It had it's moments though.
VIII was somewhat of a downer compared to the excellently made VII so that is to be expected. I also find myself difficult to care much about Squall thanks to his uber-emoness throughout the whole game.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2015, 07:05:30 am »
VIII was somewhat of a downer compared to the excellently made VII so that is to be expected. I also find myself difficult to care much about Squall thanks to his uber-emoness throughout the whole game.

Still, what a tune

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/evS1w7PmpJU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/evS1w7PmpJU</a>

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2015, 09:06:14 am »
Still, what a tune

I see heard that and raise you

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B_MW65XxS7s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B_MW65XxS7s</a>
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2015, 12:30:21 am »
For me FF8 is only just behind 7 ... in my book they are the two best video games of all time.

Gameplay-wise there isn't much in it.  The materia and junction systems were both in a different league to any other RPG.  The world maps were both epic.  The combat was pretty much flawless at the time.

The characters were a bit stronger in 7 with Cloud, Aeris and Tifa in particular.  But Squall and Rinoa held their own.  I think the graphics and FMV in 8 helped make you connect with them a little bit more.

But the main reason 7 trumps 8 is Sephiroth.  Everything about him just drove the game.  He was so powerful and so compelling, and you were always one step behind him.  He didn't appear lots, but every time he did he just proved how damn awesome he was.  Without doubt the best ever villain in gaming.

Anyway that was a bit geeky. in any case they better had do us a remaster of 8 on PS4!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2015, 06:49:36 am »
I'm just gonna go and say it.. I like FFVIII more than FFVII. Way more.

Awesome FFVIII things:

1. Solid character design that has since only gotten wackier (Ix) excepted.
2. No shitty voice acting - I honestly think I would have liked FFX 200% more without Tidus's and Yuna's awful voice actors.
3. Open world map. There's just something fun about discovering things flying around on an airship.
4. Good magic system - IIRC a lot less grindy than FFX's
5. Good music
6. Some stirring scenes: Squall carrying Rinoa on his back down the train track to Esthar was great stuff for a teenage lass. As was Laguna and Julia.
7. Triple Triad is by far the best card game in the franchise, and very likely the best mini-game.
8. The world design is top notch - very beautiful game for its time.
9. The big side bosses are boss.
10. First game in the franchise with interactive limit breaks (I think?)

Things that weren't great about it

1. Other characters - I honestly don't remember a thing about Zell, Selphie, Quistis and Irvine, besides what they looked like. But this is more or less the case for most FF games
2. The story is quite needlessly convoluted and has a villain that is pretty much a less memorable Lavos from Chrono Trigger/Sin from FFX.

I'm still waiting for an HD 3D FFVI. Although I don't know whether that opera scene could be any more charming than it was in the SNES.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2015, 08:17:01 pm »

I was late to the FF bandwagon so I ended up playing VIII before VII, and I'd put both of them pretty much on par. VIII looked a lot prettier and had some really memorable environments, and I too really liked the characters (even Quistis the nervous teacher and silent Squall). I probably prefer the Materia system to junctioning, I just couldn't remember to extract magic during boss fights and that was often the best way to get the top spells, but then I really liked the weapon crafting and as you said, that card game was brilliant and sapped a serious amount of my free time in high school. VII had by far the best bad guy though.

I've just started IX but the first couple of hours have been far too lighthearted and jokey for me, and most of the fights have been in this weird acting style that just doesn't feel right. I'll persevere as a couple of hours is really nothing in Final Fantasy, but its hard to see it reaching the heights of the others I've played. I'll give VI a go too as I've heard people say it's the best of them all.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2015, 01:00:56 am »
I was late to the FF bandwagon so I ended up playing VIII before VII, and I'd put both of them pretty much on par. VIII looked a lot prettier and had some really memorable environments, and I too really liked the characters (even Quistis the nervous teacher and silent Squall). I probably prefer the Materia system to junctioning, I just couldn't remember to extract magic during boss fights and that was often the best way to get the top spells, but then I really liked the weapon crafting and as you said, that card game was brilliant and sapped a serious amount of my free time in high school. VII had by far the best bad guy though.

I've just started IX but the first couple of hours have been far too lighthearted and jokey for me, and most of the fights have been in this weird acting style that just doesn't feel right. I'll persevere as a couple of hours is really nothing in Final Fantasy, but its hard to see it reaching the heights of the others I've played. I'll give VI a go too as I've heard people say it's the best of them all.

Yeah, IX is weird, funny animal characters, takes ages before you can really do much, but there's a lot of depth to it once it gets going.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2015, 08:41:21 am »

Weird acting style? There are a few of those at the start I suppose but you hit Evil Forest before too long and the World Map opens up, it's all very Final Fantasy from there onwards. Most the of the game is pretty bleak too, though Zidane is a lot more up beat compared to Cloud and Squall.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2015, 01:58:52 pm »
Yeah, IX is weird, funny animal characters, takes ages before you can really do much, but there's a lot of depth to it once it gets going.

Yeah I figured it would just take a while, FF7 really did nail that first hour or two of gameplay when you compare it to the other games.

Weird acting style? There are a few of those at the start I suppose but you hit Evil Forest before too long and the World Map opens up, it's all very Final Fantasy from there onwards. Most the of the game is pretty bleak too, though Zidane is a lot more up beat compared to Cloud and Squall.

The last thing I did was hit the Evil Forest and fight the first boss there so that bit is out of the way now. If that style of battle had happened 10 hours in then I probably wouldn't have even mentioned it, but with FF games you always want to spend the first few battles getting to grips with the basics and the acting stuff was just a minor gripe with it.

Has anyone played Kingdom Hearts 2? A few people have mentioned the remake having similar battle mechanics and it'd be interesting to see what everyone thought of them, considering it's quite hard to tell what's happening based on what we've seen so far. I wouldn't mind some faster style battles, I really liked the combo system they used in X-2 so something similar but with more interesting characters would be great.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2015, 07:30:59 pm »
I know many may not agree. But I also enjoyed FFX as much as VII and VIII. I know it's a much different game and it's much more linear, but I really enjoy the story, the pacing of the game, the sphere grid system is maybe the best upgrade system in any Final Fantasy game and the actual battle turn-based system is on par with the best of the final fantasys.

For people who have a PS4, I think FFX remastered really is a must-buy as it's so well done.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2015, 09:40:27 pm »
I know many may not agree. But I also enjoyed FFX as much as VII and VIII. I know it's a much different game and it's much more linear, but I really enjoy the story, the pacing of the game, the sphere grid system is maybe the best upgrade system in any Final Fantasy game and the actual battle turn-based system is on par with the best of the final fantasys.

For people who have a PS4, I think FFX remastered really is a must-buy as it's so well done.

Just found the voice acting far too annoying. Awful, awful stuff and it just went on and on with no way to skip it. And then there was that terrible ball game thing that made no sense at all. Sacked it off pretty early on.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2015, 02:04:08 am »
Just found the voice acting far too annoying. Awful, awful stuff and it just went on and on with no way to skip it. And then there was that terrible ball game thing that made no sense at all. Sacked it off pretty early on.

Blitzball? I fucking love Blitzball. :P

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2015, 04:25:42 am »
Blitzball didn't really get my attention - just spent a little time here and there on it.

Now Triple Triad - that was awesome. The frustrations of almost beating Laguna, only to have him flip nearly all your cards over at the end :no

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2015, 09:24:42 am »
Blitzball was fucking awesome! But ye striple Triad in 8 was fucking excellent, I would love to see that again, a remake of VIII would go down a storm with me!!

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2015, 10:25:20 am »
Got to be 8 for the next HD remaster.  I'm still having a great time with 7.  I've just realised there are two 'cheats' in addition to the 3x speed.  When you click both thumb sticks it means you get no random encounters.  Not too bad.  But then when you just press in the right thumb stick every player keeps getting their HP, MP and limit break bars filled up to max.  Breaks the game as a challenge, but I've been using it when I've been about to die in a few boss encounters.

It's great if you're mainly playing for nostalgia.  It's only taken me 11 hours to get to Wutai, and I'll probably finish the game in less than 25 hours.  If it wasn't for the 'cheats' I can't imagine I'd finish it.  I forgot just how many random encounters there are.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:20 am »
Got to be 8 for the next HD remaster.  I'm still having a great time with 7.  I've just realised there are two 'cheats' in addition to the 3x speed.  When you click both thumb sticks it means you get no random encounters.  Not too bad.  But then when you just press in the right thumb stick every player keeps getting their HP, MP and limit break bars filled up to max.  Breaks the game as a challenge, but I've been using it when I've been about to die in a few boss encounters.

It's great if you're mainly playing for nostalgia.  It's only taken me 11 hours to get to Wutai, and I'll probably finish the game in less than 25 hours.  If it wasn't for the 'cheats' I can't imagine I'd finish it.  I forgot just how many random encounters there are.

Didn't know about that limit break cheat, might use that to smash the weapons into a different universe haha, those ar ethe only trophies I am missing  :-X

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 1, 2016, 04:10:24 pm »
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #117 on: January 6, 2016, 07:08:33 am »

I don't know how you can not play a game like FF7 and not want to do everything and max out your characters' stats. Imagine not omnislashing Sephiroth for 9999 per hit. Outrageous.

It would take forever, but I think that was part of the charm. Probably another reason I'm not playing these games anymore.

Yeah I figured it would just take a while, FF7 really did nail that first hour or two of gameplay when you compare it to the other games.

The last thing I did was hit the Evil Forest and fight the first boss there so that bit is out of the way now. If that style of battle had happened 10 hours in then I probably wouldn't have even mentioned it, but with FF games you always want to spend the first few battles getting to grips with the basics and the acting stuff was just a minor gripe with it.

I found XI's gameplay to be one of the more frustrating ones. Partly I think because the most damage that you can do at end game is 10,000 in one hit. I also didn't love that you had to learn skills from equipment.

But I think it has some real heart. Of VII, VIII and IX, I think it's comfortably the one that makes the most sense as a story by the end. I don't remember ever thinking.. 'gee, this is plot-twist is pretty absurd'. Which is not bad, considering I played this when I was a little bit older than when I played 7 and 8. Zidane is a more likeable and believable main character than probably anyone from Cloud to Tidus. Steiner, Beatrix, Vivi are also solid supporting cast. In terms of music, the main theme and the song with vocals both match up pretty well with those of VII, VIII and X.

And.. the villain is a genuinely well-rounded character with more to him than Seifer, Sephiroth, and certainly that jerk from X whose name escapes me.

I feel like when you compare it to the other PS1-PS2 games, to use an anime metaphor, the whole thing is a bit more Studio Ghibli. There's a loveliness about it, that feels like a fond childhood memory.

That said, when I tried to replay it I couldn't get past maybe the 5th hour, mostly because I didn't find the gameplay to be particularly enjoyable.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #118 on: January 6, 2016, 07:17:49 am »
I liked that you had to learn stuff from specific items, added a layer of strategy there.

Regarding FFIX, they're releasing it (finally) on PC in 'HD' with a bunch of features similar to the FF7 PS4 version, I.e. speed increase etc. :D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2019, 10:14:01 am »
March 3rd 2020 release date