Author Topic: The Indomitable Ibou  (Read 270123 times)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Re: The Indomitable Ibou
« Reply #2480 on: April 25, 2024, 11:15:23 am »
His confidence is shot, playing one week, getting dropped, injured, not playing well, injured again, back in team, dropped again and then brought back.

While he has to take some responsibility for that, so does the manager. His usage of Konate/Quansah all season has been weird and I think it's clearly had a negative impact on a) our second best defender when he is fit and firing and b) the defensive unit as a collective.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2481 on: April 25, 2024, 11:20:51 am »
Problem is he'll be in the team and playing great and then get injured. Then comes back and takes a while to get his level back, gets it back and then is injured again, rinse and repeat.

We can't carry all the injuries when he's so rusty when returning.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2482 on: April 25, 2024, 11:21:50 am »
Problem is he'll be in the team and playing great and then get injured. Then comes back and takes a while to get his level back, gets it back and then is injured again, rinse and repeat.

He should be a rotation option at best next season.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2483 on: April 25, 2024, 12:01:23 pm »

He got injured against Sparta Prague, maybe don't use injury-prone players in games like that when there's a title on the line.

Online William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #2484 on: April 25, 2024, 12:54:44 pm »
Hes looked a shadow of himself since the injury, can only think hes carrying something, Quansah is ahead of him on merit on current form.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #2485 on: April 25, 2024, 01:48:37 pm »
While he has to take some responsibility for that, so does the manager. His usage of Konate/Quansah all season has been weird and I think it's clearly had a negative impact on a) our second best defender when he is fit and firing and b) the defensive unit as a collective.

Weird or is it that Konate just can't play two games a week because he's got some kind of injury issue?
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2486 on: April 25, 2024, 02:27:10 pm »
He's had a season to forget. Best play Quansah for the remaining games and give Ibou a rest. Start again next season.

He shouldn't get into the France team on current form.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2487 on: April 25, 2024, 02:39:04 pm »
I like Konate and he has real potential.

Can or would we build a defence around him long term though? Durability is big question. Can he be relied upon to put together consecutive season where he plays 3500+ minutes per season?

The other question I have is ability. He’s a talented player. Could easily be one of the very best centre backs about. Currently he’s not that level for me. I do not think he’s a Top 5 centre back in the league at this stage. I don’t think he’d be 1st choice at City or Arsenal. I don’t think he’d currently be 1st choice at Liverpool if everyone is fit.

Be interesting to see what we do with Konate and centre back in general this summer.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2488 on: April 25, 2024, 07:41:32 pm »
Is it me or does he look better when Bradley plays?

Online slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2489 on: April 25, 2024, 10:27:27 pm »
Has he been released from DCL's manpurse yet? No wonder VVD was going mental. Last night the whole right hand side of our team was an abomination- TAA, Konate, Dom and Mo.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #2490 on: April 25, 2024, 11:17:57 pm »
Is it me or does he look better when Bradley plays?

Agree. The Trent in midfield experiment has put a lot on Konate's shoulders. Well actually his fragile legs have to cover so much more ground.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2491 on: Yesterday at 12:27:04 am »
At his best he's excellent but the injuries mean he's frequently working towards that level and, as others have noted, he doesn't get there quick enough. Leaves us in a pickle... do we gamble on an injury free season which would mean a prolonged period of excellence, or settle on someone more consistent at a lower level? Having said all that, I always felt Matip was the superior player, and he has been/ will be a big miss.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2492 on: Yesterday at 06:56:01 am »
Aye aye…. Another excellent player people have totally written off.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2493 on: Today at 08:22:03 am »

It's very premature to write him off - his age and top level means he can still be the future of our defence.

But it's impossible to dispute that he's been awful lately. To me, he's just as culpable as Salah and Nunez for our worst games. The drop-off is enormous and baffling.

And it would be foolish not to be targeting another good centre back in the summer. Even if Slot wants to use Gomez more at CB, I'd argue we still need one more quality option there with Matip gone. I'd love to think Konate can still be a pillar for us going forward, but relying on his fitness would be stupid.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2494 on: Today at 08:38:10 am »

Ibou is pretty good. It is clear to me though he will never be the type of CB we can rely on consistently to be the part of the core pair. If it isn't fitness, it will be form. If it isn't form, it will be fitness. He is too stop and go to fully rely on. He will be in the mix, when available might be the preferred option - but we should look to beef up the CB roster as long as he is here. Because it will be needed.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2495 on: Today at 08:55:01 am »
He is a beast of a CB but if we continue to play him as if he is a ball-playing center back, then he is just going to be an inconsistent failure. His passing is pretty poor, and his vision for a forward pass is non-existent.  So many times, it's tough watching him try to play the wrong pass, under hit, over hit, running with the ball forward and then turning back or losing the ball. It's much better to have Quansah perform this role than Konate.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2496 on: Today at 09:01:35 am »
To say Ibou is 'Pretty good' is very disingenuous in my opinion, until recently, he was regarded by many of being the best young centre back in Europe (justifiably in my opinion).

His fitness issues have been very frustrating and I think his very recent form has been poor, but how quickly we forget what he's like at his best (see Arsenal FA cup tie for reference). I think it's absolutely mental that people want him sold, he's a brilliant player and will only get better as he approaches his prime. Hopefully we can help him to solve his fitness issues.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2497 on: Today at 09:06:24 am »
I think Konate will improve when he stops getting into grappling matches and relies more on positioning. I think it's been documented enough that Liverpool aren't going to get the decisions with fouls so stop giving shit opposition ample opportunities to launch the box into our box because of cheap freekicks.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2498 on: Today at 09:11:01 am »
To say Ibou is 'Pretty good' is very disingenuous in my opinion, until recently, he was regarded by many of being the best young centre back in Europe (justifiably in my opinion).

His fitness issues have been very frustrating and I think his very recent form has been poor, but how quickly we forget what he's like at his best (see Arsenal FA cup tie for reference). I think it's absolutely mental that people want him sold, he's a brilliant player and will only get better as he approaches his prime. Hopefully we can help him to solve his fitness issues.

I didn’t mean to make him seem worse than he is at his best. But when describing a player it is good to look at the whole picture.

And from what we have seen so far, no matter how high his peaks are, he does spent a lot of time both injured and out of form.

So yes, I would classify him under pretty good for our team, with undeniable fact of unreliability keeping him out of our top echelon of players.

Don’t think that is im any way controversial.

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2499 on: Today at 09:51:27 am »
I didn’t mean to make him seem worse than he is at his best. But when describing a player it is good to look at the whole picture.

And from what we have seen so far, no matter how high his peaks are, he does spent a lot of time both injured and out of form.

So yes, I would classify him under pretty good for our team, with undeniable fact of unreliability keeping him out of our top echelon of players.

Don’t think that is im any way controversial.

I think it's fair enough to say all that. And we need to stop looking merely at a player's top level when judging them.

If Konate was at his best most of the time and seldom injured, then of course he's better than "pretty good", but let's face it, that isn't really the reality. We might not be able to improve on his peak level, but we possibly can improve by getting someone who can be at a good level more often.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2500 on: Today at 10:20:57 am »
The new Ledley King.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2501 on: Today at 12:07:37 pm »
All those points are fair guys, and I think the first position we should priotise in the summer is CB, I just don't agree with the "get rid" shouts.