Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 564437 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #6320 on: May 13, 2024, 10:54:03 am »
The other club will be limited by FFP/their revenues (the owners wont pump money in) and won't be able to go for the best talents initially so we'll still need to buy the more expensive ones (from the other club's perspective) ourselves.

Growing the other team makes it easier for them to sign players directly.

The easiest way to grow a future club is to sign commercial deals at the group level instead of at the club level. Look at City Group and its commercial partnerships. The issue here is that revenues that would have ended up at LFC may be diverted to the new club to help it grow more quickly.

Liverpool will also be paying transfer fees to the new club when we purchase their players and we could also end up paying consultancy fees to FSG for the work Edwards and the like do on our behalf.

A multi-club model is far more complex than people are assuming. There are also downsides as well as upsides, especially in the short term.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6321 on: May 13, 2024, 11:17:19 am »
The easiest way to grow a future club is to sign commercial deals at the group level instead of at the club level. Look at City Group and its commercial partnerships. The issue here is that revenues that would have ended up at LFC may be diverted to the new club to help it grow more quickly.

Liverpool will also be paying transfer fees to the new club when we purchase their players and we could also end up paying consultancy fees to FSG for the work Edwards and the like do on our behalf.

A multi-club model is far more complex than people are assuming. There are also downsides as well as upsides, especially in the short term.
Group level deals will be higher than what we'd get with the excess benefiting the "smaller clubs". If not, the people negotiating them are not competent and I don't believe that's the case.

The consultancy fees are not likely to be significant because Edwards is an FSG employee and FSG don't take a lot out of the club directly. FSG's main focus is on maximising the value of LFC and the new club in case they want to make an exit down the line.

For the transfer fee, that might be subject to any fair value regulations but see Savio's fee.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6322 on: May 13, 2024, 11:44:32 am »
This is worth a read regarding the Multi-Club Ownership model.

https://mrktinsights.com/index.php/2024/03/26/why-multi-club-ownership-doesnt-normally-work/
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6323 on: May 13, 2024, 12:17:35 pm »
Terrible take. Rafa wheeled and dealed on a shoestring to great effect. He saved our ass by turning nothing into something oon a number of occasions. The cancers were not buying him 75m defenders you may recall.

Yeah Rafa did a brilliant job. He didn't always get it right but he had absolutely no margin for error given the constraints he was under.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6324 on: May 13, 2024, 01:15:44 pm »

Yeah. It depends how much FSG invest in the project. I've worked for a multinational company. The UK company I was based at was more profitable, had more cash, and had better access to credit lines, and we were providing loans etc to less profitable, or loss making, branches in other countries. We were paying the majority of consulting fees too. I'd like to think FSG will be investing the funds rather than the latter, but they may say the footballing group needs to be self-sustainable and use LFC as the cash cow. I hope not.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6325 on: May 13, 2024, 06:18:56 pm »
Yeah Rafa did a brilliant job. He didn't always get it right but he had absolutely no margin for error given the constraints he was under.

Was asked not to derail the thread but I’ll have one last comment before leaving it.

Rafa did a good job managing us, his record in the transfer market was patchy at best. One of the worst aspects of how he operated in the transfer market was the sheer volume of transfers he made. It felt like every season we had a couple of new full backs and a couple of new wingers, very rarely actually improving on what we previously had. For every Arbeloa and Aurelio there was a Degen, a Kromkamp, a Dossena, a Josemi. Dirk Kuyt was probably the best wide player he signed and he was initially signed as a forward. Kuyt, Benayoun and Luis Garcia were probably the only wide players he signed that panned out, with the failure list including Nunez, Gonzalez, Pennant, Babel and Leto. I won’t even bother with forwards.

I get it, he was dealt a tough hand by the ownership, nowhere did I say he wasn’t and it goes without saying really. He still signed a lot of shite players, not 1-2 or 3-4, he signed loads of shite players. Some of them were on free transfers and so on but so what? They still needed paying, they still got signing on fees, they still had to be at the level to perform here. His approach to transfers was completely scattergun when he shown if he focused on a couple of quality players he could get it right.

I don’t want to continue talking about Rafa in this thread, my point was never intended to drag his name down, more to emphasise how good Klopp has been and how I believe Klopp’s approach to squad building to be the better way than Rafa’s. Rafa’s cold approach might have made selling players easier, but I’d rather a manager who gets every last drop out of a player when they’re here by gaining full commitment and loyalty, than a manager who never had any relationship with his players and players never being sure if they were on the chopping block come the summer. Klopp could have done a better job at moving a few players on, undeniably, but I just don’t think being completely cut throat is his style, and I’m quite OK with the trade off that comes with.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6326 on: May 13, 2024, 07:12:15 pm »
Good summary. The massive upside with Klopp is players will run through a brick wall for him. He creates such unity that it is a sight to behold. The slight downside is that with one or two, he held on slightly too long. But in the grand scheme of things, where perfection is elusive, I will take that minor fault all day long.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 07:13:53 pm by G Richards »

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6327 on: Yesterday at 01:14:50 am »
Klopp is a singular figure so it's understandable that you'd tear down your structure to keep him around. That's not to say he was perfect but he was such a better manager than anyone else that it made sense. Now that Klopp is leaving you need that structure back. Maybe Slot will win enough to where it's a problem again, that would be a good problem to have. For now though the odds are he won't so you need a structure in place to make sure you aren't varying wildly in recruitment from coach to coach.

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #6328 on: Yesterday at 09:16:47 am »
I find it interesting since Klopp announced he was leaving Edwards and Ward have both come back. I wonder if there was discord behind the scene's between them. Rumours Edwards didn't want to extend Hendersons contract etc. I do like the fact if there was they were too professional to say unlike the Rafa and Rodgers years.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #6329 on: Yesterday at 09:20:43 am »
I find it interesting since Klopp announced he was leaving Edwards and Ward have both come back. I wonder if there was discord behind the scene's between them. Rumours Edwards didn't want to extend Hendersons contract etc. I do like the fact if there was they were too professional to say unlike the Rafa and Rodgers years.

I also like this dispassionate, cold view on players when needed. This would have to apply to Darwin and Diaz, should large offers come in, although Nunez must have a high ceiling, so patience might be key there.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #6330 on: Yesterday at 09:21:05 am »

This makes little sense. We attract huge commercial deals due to our global following. How will a group entity that isn’t LFC attract such deals?
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #6331 on: Yesterday at 09:25:23 am »

If that is the case (and who knows), I'm glad they're back. Henderson's extension, bigged up by Burger Head in the Athletic, is one of the worst decisions we've made as a club in the last few years. Sentiment wins you nowt.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6332 on: Yesterday at 09:31:16 am »
I think this is where the style of Klopp's management and Edwards' strategy clashed unfortunately. Agree it's time to be ruthless. I don't think the loyalty to ageing players has worked out too well for us in hindsight.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #6333 on: Yesterday at 09:34:25 am »
Not sure where to put this but fuck it here will do

@_pauljoyce

Pep Lijnders wanted by Red Bull Salzburg as their new head coach

The Liverpool assistant manager Pepijn Lijnders is being targeted by the Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg to become their new head coach.

The Dutchman has previously been on the shortlists of both Ajax and Beşiktaş but the interest is now strongest from Salzburg, who sacked Gerhard Struber last month.

Salzburg are second in the Austrian Bundesliga behind Sturm Graz but could win an 11th consecutive title this weekend should results go their way. Sturm Graz hold a two-point advantage at the top of the table and host Austria Klagenfurt, while Salzburg are at home to third-placed LASK.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6334 on: Yesterday at 09:36:06 am »
The perfect match up that
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6335 on: Yesterday at 09:39:12 am »

Carragher posited the same thing on MNF last night, and I have to admit that it really pissed me off.

The team that is coming back are not going back to their old jobs, now that Júrgen is leaving.
They are coming in at a higher level, with a different remit - That of building a Multi-Club Organisation.

OK.  Júrgen probably took more control as time went on, but that was because the club trusted him with those responsibilities.
Now that he's leaving, we are going back to a model that has previously worked for us - Albeit with different personnel.  (Nobody is moving back into their old role).

Whilst I expect that Edwards helps Hughes if/when asked, I don't expect him to "teach" Hughes his job, in the way that he previously taught Julian Ward.

As I see it - We needed to restructure the management team for the future of the club (and the - hopefully - wider group), and the way that FSG have chosen to do that is by looking to the (very successful) past.
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #6336 on: Yesterday at 09:47:14 am »
Carragher posited the same thing on MNF last night, and I have to admit that it really pissed me off.

The team that is coming back are not going back to their old jobs, now that Júrgen is leaving.
They are coming in at a higher level, with a different remit - That of building a Multi-Club Organisation.

OK.  Júrgen probably took more control as time went on, but that was because the club trusted him with those responsibilities.
Now that he's leaving, we are going back to a model that has previously worked for us - Albeit with different personnel.  (Nobody is moving back into their old role).

Whilst I expect that Edwards helps Hughes if/when asked, I don't expect him to "teach" Hughes his job, in the way that he previously taught Julian Ward.

As I see it - We needed to restructure the management team for the future of the club (and the - hopefully - wider group), and the way that FSG have chosen to do that is by looking to the (very successful) past.

Question is would Edwards and Ward have comeback to the newer  roles if Jurgen was still here?

I know this multi role club ownership seems the way forward like the City Group etc.  But im not a fan of it.  Should be one owner one club.  So RB Salzburg going for 11 titles in a row(just read the Pep to them bit, hope he does well)  Are Austrian football fans happy with that model.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6337 on: Yesterday at 02:39:11 pm »
Question is would Edwards and Ward have comeback to the newer  roles if Jurgen was still here?

I know this multi role club ownership seems the way forward like the City Group etc.  But im not a fan of it.  Should be one owner one club.  So RB Salzburg going for 11 titles in a row(just read the Pep to them bit, hope he does well)  Are Austrian football fans happy with that model.
Neither Edwards or Ward are employed by Liverpool. So I suspect the answer is yes
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6338 on: Yesterday at 02:45:46 pm »
Ward was offered a similar role (as Global Technical Director) by Ineos, but opted to come back here so his faith in the ownership must remain strong, the rest is conjecture.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6339 on: Yesterday at 03:00:02 pm »
He's getting Friday's off and unlimited Nandos. How could he say no?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #6340 on: Yesterday at 03:03:34 pm »
Having a structure in place was what majority of us wanted - seems we have that and a new manager so the rest of our time can be spent on getting the right balance in the squad.

On the face of it, all looks well to be honest but how we'll do once klopp leaves remains to be seen.
Definitely a new era, and hopefully lessons from the past have been learned
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #6341 on: Yesterday at 03:12:09 pm »
Not sure where to put this but fuck it here will do

@_pauljoyce

Pep Lijnders wanted by Red Bull Salzburg as their new head coach

The Liverpool assistant manager Pepijn Lijnders is being targeted by the Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg to become their new head coach.

The Dutchman has previously been on the shortlists of both Ajax and Beşiktaş but the interest is now strongest from Salzburg, who sacked Gerhard Struber last month.

Salzburg are second in the Austrian Bundesliga behind Sturm Graz but could win an 11th consecutive title this weekend should results go their way. Sturm Graz hold a two-point advantage at the top of the table and host Austria Klagenfurt, while Salzburg are at home to third-placed LASK.
That would be a great opportunity for him, a fairly stable club, in Europe and have top talents coming through. Thought Beşiktaş wouldn't be a good fit as itll be an alien league.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #6342 on: Yesterday at 03:13:56 pm »
He's getting Friday's off and unlimited Nandos. How could he say no?
INEOS said he had to come into the office, but he'd rather work from his laptop so we got him back. Peri peri was just a bonus on the side.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6343 on: Yesterday at 03:33:00 pm »
Red Ron has released David Hasselhoff form the Dutch national team as his assistant so he can join the #Slot Army.

Sipke Hulshof will be replaced as Dutch national team assistant so he can go to Liverpool with Arne Slot.

[@Mkrabby]

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6344 on: Yesterday at 03:41:18 pm »
for fucks sake - can we get an autocorrect to "Spike". Much more badass, as well.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6345 on: Yesterday at 07:19:56 pm »
Red Ron didn't replace him. Hasselhoff quit.

Sipke Hulshoff has quit his role as assistant coach of the Netherlands allowing him to join Liverpool. He is replaced by Dwight Lodeweges.

Liverpool didn't want Hulshoff to go to the Euros and thus start later than Arne Slot.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6346 on: Yesterday at 07:22:39 pm »

Don't hassle the Hoff.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6347 on: Yesterday at 07:34:13 pm »

He was Looking for Freedom?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6348 on: Yesterday at 07:51:07 pm »

This makes little sense. We attract huge commercial deals due to our global following. How will a group entity that isn’t LFC attract such deals?

The company signing the commercial deal still gets Liverpool and the global following we attract. They also get the other clubs within the group. That then allows FSG to allocate the funds as they see fit. So if we buy a club with little FFP headroom then more funds can be allocated to that club. That then allows that club to attract better players which may end up at Liverpool in the future.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6349 on: Yesterday at 07:56:20 pm »
Red Ron has released David Hasselhoff form the Dutch national team as his assistant so he can join the #Slot Army.

Good news, Vin Dijk spoke very highly of him.
W

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #6350 on: Today at 12:21:55 am »
I also like this dispassionate, cold view on players when needed.

It's the view Bob Paisley had. Zero sentiment. He just knew when to move players on. His training as a physio certainly helped in that regard. Klopp is very Shankly-like in his approach to players. Like Shanks, some would argue he can be too loyal at times. Another thing I'd expect is that the last few years we've led a very German approach of letting players run their contracts down and getting nothing in return because of the perceived benefits of retaining a player outweighing the need to integrate a replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if that mindset changes.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6351 on: Today at 12:44:47 am »
It's the view Bob Paisley had. Zero sentiment. He just knew when to move players on. His training as a physio certainly helped in that regard. Klopp is very Shankly-like in his approach to players. Like Shanks, some would argue he can be too loyal at times. Another thing I'd expect is that the last few years we've led a very German approach of letting players run their contracts down and getting nothing in return because of the perceived benefits of retaining a player outweighing the need to integrate a replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if that mindset changes.

probably find out in the summer!  3 very big players’ contracts going into the final year.