Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 314616 times)

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #1720 on: March 7, 2023, 01:57:07 pm »
Keep forgetting that he's only 23, every time I look at him for some reason I think he's 27/28.

He's got a great touch and can clearly finish.  He's quicker than what a lot of people seem to say as well.  Must admit that I wasn't sure on him at first, but his price tag was a bit of a no brainer and looks like it was a very good bit of business, especially with the injuries that we had at the time and with Bobby now leaving.  Looks like he will be a fantastic player for us.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2023, 01:59:01 pm by jonnypb »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1721 on: March 7, 2023, 11:15:55 pm »
Gakpo is a surprisingly quick player who can cover a lot of ground with ease. He is strong when he has the ball and once he beats a player he leaves them for dead. His touch and skill is up there with the best and he’s going to be a big hit.
He lacks that acceleration that's needed on the wing to leave players for dead. In the middle, he's quick enough.

His skillset is good. I think he could improve aerially in an attacking sense given his height and impose himself more on games. He seems to be a confidence player. Looks completely different when he's on it. Hopefully, scoring two against United will give him that belief and he'll smash it from here on.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2023, 11:38:10 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1722 on: March 7, 2023, 11:16:35 pm »
Keep forgetting that he's only 23, every time I look at him for some reason I think he's 27/28.

He's got a great touch and can clearly finish.  He's quicker than what a lot of people seem to say as well.  Must admit that I wasn't sure on him at first, but his price tag was a bit of a no brainer and looks like it was a very good bit of business, especially with the injuries that we had at the time and with Bobby now leaving.  Looks like he will be a fantastic player for us.
He's a snip for what he cost.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1723 on: March 7, 2023, 11:36:58 pm »
Yeah he doesn’t look like he has the explosiveness that we look for in a winger so if he works out as a false 9 and Nunez as a wide forward who can also play 9 we are laughing. We are all rightly focused on the midfield but forwards are by far the hardest part of the game to get right. The whole team needs to be strong if we are to be among the best but getting a new forward line clicking will help us no end.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #1724 on: March 8, 2023, 03:30:19 am »
It might well not be the midpoint but I just don't think of Darwin as particularly tall,  nor do I think it's as outdated as you suggest.
Haaland, Weghorst, Isak, Mitrovic, Edouard, Havertz, Wood, Ferguson, Wellbeck, Solanke,  Calvert Lewin, Kane, Onuachu, Gakpo, Jimenez all seem taller or about the same height.  There are likely more (and no doubt plenty who are shorter of course)

He's about the height of Torres, who I never thought as a particularly tall striker.  It's all relative though and probably not that important  ;D.

Anyway, it's the Gakpo thread and he is tall.  The question I quoted about whether or not we are seeking out taller forwards deliberately is a valid/interesting one (and one I don't really know the answer to).

Darwin's taller than Torres and about the same height as Fabinho who's pretty tall. gakpo's pretty close to Van Dijk in height, so yeah, the lads up top are taller for sure but the difference is that they have stronger attributes than their aerial prowess in pace or technique. I think the idea has been to sign players with the right physical and mental attributes and enough technical attributes wherein they can be coached the rest.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1725 on: March 8, 2023, 01:23:13 pm »
Comparisons or even saying the 'new Firminho' should stop, he will be his own player and offer a new direction for our attack....Bobby is a one off.. plus an unfair burden like Hendo the new Gerrard or Clough the new Dalglish ( though to be honest I may have started that :D)

Gakpo is different player his own attributes he is direct , good feet , strong, looks up for the pass and has shown to be a skill full clinical finisher and at 23 wanna comparison?....a young Terry Henry ( eek!)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1726 on: March 8, 2023, 02:45:01 pm »
Comparisons or even saying the 'new Firminho' should stop, he will be his own player and offer a new direction for our attack....Bobby is a one off.. plus an unfair burden like Hendo the new Gerrard or Clough the new Dalglish ( though to be honest I may have started that :D )

Gakpo is different player his own attributes he is direct , good feet , strong, looks up for the pass and has shown to be a skill full clinical finisher and at 23 wanna comparison?....a young Terry Henry ( eek!)

Eek Indeed, no pressure there at all now
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #1727 on: March 8, 2023, 10:11:16 pm »
I reckon he’ll soon have inherited the classic Liverpool striker song that was last bestowed upon Sturridge.

Clap. Clap. Clap, clap, clap. Clap, clap, clap, clap.. Gakpo!

Either that, or something to the tune of Blitzkrieg Bop.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1728 on: March 8, 2023, 10:48:48 pm »
Scored against United and Everton at home. The first player to do that since Daniel Sturridge (13/14) and the 5th overall. Can you name the other three?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1729 on: March 8, 2023, 10:51:52 pm »
Scored against United and Everton at home. The first player to do that since Daniel Sturridge (13/14) and the 5th overall. Can you name the other three?
I'm guessing it's a Premier League only statistic and the 13/14 date narrows it down.

I'll go with the obvious candidates of Fowler, Owen and Torres but fully prepared for it to be Ruddock, Smicer and Ngog.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1730 on: March 8, 2023, 10:52:43 pm »
I'm guessing it's a Premier League only statistic and the 13/14 date narrows it down.

I'll go with the obvious candidates of Fowler, Owen and Torres but fully prepared for it to be Ruddock, Smicer and Ngog.
Kuyt did it in 2010/11. Yes, only the Premier League.
Fowler in 95/96
« Last Edit: March 8, 2023, 11:01:20 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1731 on: March 9, 2023, 12:05:00 am »
Fowler in 95/96

Gerrard?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1732 on: March 9, 2023, 12:07:51 am »
Fowler in 95/96
Suarez Crouch?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: March 9, 2023, 12:30:58 am »
Gerrard?
Correct. In 2011/12, he scored a hattrick against Everton and a freekick against United.

Scoring against our biggest rivals at home in the same season is a very good way to endear yourself to the fans. It's quite rare.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1734 on: March 9, 2023, 12:31:54 am »
Suarez Crouch?
Suarez never scored against United at Anfield. Very surprising stat.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1735 on: March 9, 2023, 01:19:34 am »
What about Shaqiri? He scored against both United (two goals) and Everton, at home
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1736 on: March 9, 2023, 01:23:49 am »
What about Shaqiri? He scored against both United (two goals) and Everton, at home
Yes he did but not in the same season.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1737 on: March 9, 2023, 01:28:34 am »
Yes he did but not in the same season.
Oh I see. Gotcha
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #1738 on: March 10, 2023, 06:19:20 am »
I reckon he’ll soon have inherited the classic Liverpool striker song that was last bestowed upon Sturridge.

I’m reckon something to the tune of Hong Kong Fooey. 😁😁😁

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1739 on: March 10, 2023, 12:42:28 pm »

Cody Gakpo
Number 1 number 9

:D

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #1740 on: March 10, 2023, 04:05:15 pm »
Cody Gakpo
Number 1 number 9

:D
perfect 😁

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1741 on: March 10, 2023, 06:35:15 pm »
Cody Gakpo
Fabulous, rain or shine
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline johnathank

• youverymuch
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1742 on: March 10, 2023, 11:15:59 pm »
(Ruby Soho)
Cody Cody Cody
Cody Gakpo

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1743 on: March 11, 2023, 01:15:53 am »

Hey! Ho! Gak-po!

Not bad actually!

https://youtu.be/268C3N2dDYk

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1744 on: March 15, 2023, 10:15:31 pm »
Good thing we signed a pressing forward to alleviate our midfield concerns instead of a midfielder, at the cost of shunting a more orthodox #9 onto the wing.

Three wins, one draw and five losses when he has started so far; not saying that's his fault, but the decision-making at this club has been piss poor for a long time and if this is the result of the coaches getting more influence, perhaps they need less.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #1745 on: March 15, 2023, 10:48:51 pm »
He's a class act with the ball but not what we needed to invest in.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #1746 on: March 15, 2023, 10:51:32 pm »
Utterly pointless signing
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: March 15, 2023, 11:33:28 pm »
He's no Bob.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #1748 on: March 15, 2023, 11:47:19 pm »
I think he’s unfortunately going to be judged through the lens of us not signing midfielders when we clearly needed them. However, given the choice of signing him or not signing him, in that vacuum, I’m happy we did. Only 23, and Bobby didn’t exactly light the world on fire when he joined.

As one of 5 options upfront, with a proper fucking midfield behind them, I’m very confident he shines. He showed against Utd what’s in his locker.

The issue is, FSG have to stump up the cash for that proper fucking midfield otherwise having these lads up top isn’t going to cut it.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1749 on: March 16, 2023, 12:08:06 am »
He's no Bob.
No, Bob he is not. But he seems adapted to a 4-2-3-1 better than 4-3-3, didn't do too poorly today on the background of the overall team performance. He is not the one who has to create, but to carry whatever is created forward. When nothing is created, then...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1750 on: March 16, 2023, 12:11:56 am »
Utterly pointless signing

An utterly pointless post 🙄
according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1751 on: March 16, 2023, 12:35:22 am »

Nah I hope the guy that does the Nunez chants gets onto Gakpo too! The Nunez ones were an amazing watch on YouTube and I’ve been waiting for them to catch on in the ground …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1752 on: March 16, 2023, 12:50:20 am »
He's wearing the red shirt, but still doesn't feel like a Liverpool player.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1753 on: March 16, 2023, 07:14:56 am »
His first attempt at playing 8. Not great, but a very tough match to debut in.
I think we will see him get more games there, with allo our attackers back

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1754 on: March 16, 2023, 07:46:46 am »
People went a bit overboard after one good performance against Utd (Egyptian36  :wave). He’s just not what we needed and it’s led to the bizarre situation where we’re playing both him and our record signing out of position. Nunez needs to be up top, this shite experiment where we’re trying to make him Bobby when he’s not capable of it needs to stop.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1755 on: March 16, 2023, 07:55:09 am »
What about giving the lad a season in the Premier League before bringing the knives out on a new signing? Some players need a season to bed in, especially when coming into a team that is struggling. I have already seen enough of him to know he will make his critics on here embarrassed long term.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1756 on: March 16, 2023, 08:06:21 am »
There are no knives out for pointing out that there’s no coherent strategy behind signing him to play him as a false 9 and shunting Nunez out wide in the process though. It doesn’t suit either of their skill sets. It’s not Gakpo being criticised so much as the thinking behind whatever we’re trying to do.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1757 on: March 16, 2023, 08:12:55 am »
There are no knives out for pointing out that there’s no coherent strategy behind signing him to play him as a false 9 and shunting Nunez out wide in the process though. It doesn’t suit either of their skill sets. It’s not Gakpo being criticised so much as the thinking behind whatever we’re trying to do.

My view with Gakpo is nothing ability related but the strategy behind where we've signed him to play. He's not a wide player and our record signing is a number 9. By all means you need more options but if he's the regular 9 where does that leave Nunez or Jota?

Gakpo behind Nunez with Diaz and Salah wide is always an option.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1758 on: March 16, 2023, 08:16:25 am »
Thought he was really good in an unfamiliar position. At least for the first half, but the whole team declined during the secomd half.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1759 on: March 16, 2023, 08:18:36 am »
Doesn't take games by the scruff of the neck. Tends to go missing when we aren't doing well.