Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129849 times)

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #560 on: November 13, 2010, 11:04:51 am »
Hodgson's record has nothing to do with it.He is the manager and he has the right to tell players to buck their ideas up if he sees fit.

If your new boss has been clearly the most incompetent employee in the whole company, and hardly done or said anything right, and during his short time in the office, the department he is in charge of has recorded the worst results for several decades, and he comes to you and reprimands you publicly for your own performance when you have been ill for the last 2 months, yes, he has the legal right to do that. But does he have any credibility to you or the entire office if he does that? Does he have a chance of motivating you or his employees to work harder in those circumstances? Is that effective man management?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #561 on: November 13, 2010, 11:05:18 am »
The really worrying thing for me about this is that it looks like it'll be a long time before Kelly gets a run in his proper position.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #562 on: November 13, 2010, 11:05:42 am »
Hodgson's record has nothing to do with it.He is the manager and he has the right to tell players to buck their ideas up if he sees fit.

Just how does an injured player buck his ideas?

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: November 13, 2010, 11:05:49 am »
where did the 17M for johnson come from then ?

about £9m of it was made up of money we would never have seen from the crouch transfer and pennants loan fee. while its still £17m spent if we didnt buy a player from pompey that would have been only £8m to spend on a player from any other team. he was also being chased by chelsea who and raised the price up to that level.

Still no excuse for not buying a forward and agreeing that high value of 17m. Even if it did mean we only paid 11m.

come on mate you know better than that. you know there was a bigger transfer budget and then it was pulled as soon as the shit hit the fan for the yanks. the johnson transfer happened very early in the summer before the yanks were told they had to pay down the loans etc
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:09:09 am by LFCfan4Life »
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline bigreddog

• Main Stander
  • All I ask is 4 LFC to love me as much as I love it
« Reply #564 on: November 13, 2010, 11:06:29 am »
Think it's a good shout.  No way should Johnson take Kelly's place at RB, not after his recent displays.  Johnson's been poor this term.  I'd like to see him played right midfield, with Kelly behind.  Great attacking (when he's on his game), not so good defending.

Those using this as yet another baton to swing at Roy's head need to rem that both Rafa and Houllier criticised Gerrard through the media when he was out of form, and the result was vastly improved performances.

Let's relax on the Kelly for England nonsense.  He got absolutely roasted, much more so than Johnson ever has, against Wigan. Johnson is a top notch player who lacks a bit of concentration, but its the 6 yard line defending employed by Roy that's the main problem.  Dont heap too much pressure on Kelly, give him time to develop, Insua started off wonderfully but due to overuse his firm dipped and he was used as a scapegoat by fans and Roy alike. We shouldn't make the same mistake with Kelly, there is no way he should be playing every game - 15 at most this season.

Roy should take a note from wengers book and support his players and never critiscise in public (not sure wenger had ever critiscised almunia) - think it's Roy who needs a good kick up the a**

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #565 on: November 13, 2010, 11:07:03 am »
Still no excuse for not buying a forward and agreeing that high value of 17m. Even if it did mean we only paid 11m.

Fordy, you of all people should know better mate.

The money that was promised to the manager went elsewhere to pay for the 30 million interest payment for the mega huge loan.

Why do you think we negotiated and bought Aqualiani in the manner we did with the installement payments spread so far apart. Rafa simply ran out of cash because he didn't have what was promised.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: November 13, 2010, 11:07:19 am »
If you're going to play attacking fullbacks you need mobile centre halfs and a mobile sitting midfielder. It's also good to have wide midfielders/wingers that graft and track back. Attacking full backs are pretty much essential in today's game, but they will always get caught out of position. That's why mobility is needed at the back. Johnson getting caught upfield is no big deal when you've got players like Kuyt, Mascherano, Agger, Skrytle to get over there. That's how it is in today's football, and there's the rub...
Oh well, I'm really looking forward to a titanic struggle between our deep lying, flat back four and Stokes Stormtroopers. It'll be great. A real up and at em, good old Ingurlish, blood and guts battle. So let's all stop moaning and hail Roy for sort of doing what the media promised us he would do, and bringing back the good old days.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline vitri

• Pool Baron (on away goals). Shit scared of Enemy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pro-Rafa. Hates it when people say "EPL"
« Reply #567 on: November 13, 2010, 11:07:43 am »
what he said was right glen has been shocking this year BUT he won a pen for us against napoli he is also currently injured its not as if he just played for us against wigan and put in a shit performance

also how much of his form is down to us playing this ultra defense two banks of four shite with a defense sitting on its 18 yard line. these sort of tactics do nothing for an attacking right back

Not to mention nothing for a team with top 4 aspirations.

I'm worried about the knock-on effects of this criticism too. It's not madness to suggest Glen might suffer here, but young Kelly was mentioned in Roy's comments too and will now be under pressure. And what about the rest of the squad, how will they react to one of their number being openly criticised? Roy is slowly going round last year's first team (bar the obvious pair) and alienating them, or at best making unhelpful comments (Mascherano, Agger, Torres, Reina, Johnson).
Everything has an end, only the sausage has two

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #568 on: November 13, 2010, 11:08:28 am »
Just how does an injured player buck his ideas?

I talking about before his injury mate , i dont think he has been great this season when he has played , i think Kelly should be keeping his place , that is what Roy is refering to clearly , before this injury.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: November 13, 2010, 11:08:44 am »
The really worrying thing for me about this is that it looks like it'll be a long time before Kelly gets a run in his proper position.

If I were Kelly, I would focus on trying to keep the right back slot all to himself. And to be fair, he deserves the opportunity. I can't wait for Ayala to come back from Hull. He has been a huge success for them on loan.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: November 13, 2010, 11:08:46 am »

17M is par for course for an international class attacking full back of Johnson's age. Also, Benitez was under grave constraints - he was forced to do that deal that way because he did not have the cash to splash. He needed an attacking outlet on the right hand side in order to improve the squad and make it more attacking.

Budget was the same reason why he had to do the Aquilani deal - the way it was structured, he only needed to put down 5M at first. The owners were taking away most of whatever profit he was earning. Even the re-signings of the existing squad and contract renewals were taken out of his transfer budget - surely an unprecedented constraint not experienced in other clubs of LFC's ambitions.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: November 13, 2010, 11:09:59 am »
I talking about before his injury mate , i dont think he has been great this season when he has played , i think Kelly should be keeping his place , that is what Roy is refering to clearly , before this injury.

If that's the case, then what about the rest of the team? Poulsen, Cole, Carra, Agger, Skerts? Have they been on fire this season so far? Did they recieve a rolicking in the media about their performances?

Nope. That's one of the issues here.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:14 am »
about £9m of it was made up of money we would never have seen from the crouch transfer and pennants loan fee. while its still £17m spent if we didnt buy a player from pompey that would have been only £8m to spend on a player from any other team. he was also being chased by chelsea who and raised the price up to that level.

£120K a week since he signed on 22nd june 09. approx £8-9M in wages alone + £10 million cash + Crouch (proven English International striker). Great deal all round

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:15 am »

An absolutely ridiculous decision. And nevermind the Johnson need a kick up the arse bit. Nevermind the conjecture, he might have done it in private, it didn't work melarkey. We can only comment on what we see, and that is Roy attacking one of his senior players, from his self confessed small squad, and giving the muck raking, meddlsome media another lurid headline about our club on a day when Pepe was doing his best to quash that sort of shite.
Here Here

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #574 on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:51 am »
Really can't understand those who question the signing of Johnson. One of our problem was locking up teams that parked the bus. Attacking fullbacks is a very good weapon to do that. Glen Johnson is brilliant at it when given the opportunity. He can go on the outside and cross...and he can cut inside and finish. As a fullback he creates 2 on 1 situations when going forward.

We had a problem. Johnson was a vitsl part of the solution.

Now we have a manger who's trying to create a team playing his way, aka playing two tight fours, with fullbacks sitting back.

That's not Johnsons game. It never was, ant it never will be.

If Hodgson stays, I hope Johnson is sold. He deserves better than being held back by a dinosaur.

"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:56 am »
Fordy, you of all people should know better mate.

The money that was promised to the manager went elsewhere to pay for the 30 million interest payment for the mega huge loan.

Why do you think we negotiated and bought Aqualiani in the manner we did with the installement payments spread so far apart. Rafa simply ran out of cash because he didn't have what was promised.

Yeah your right mate. Got a bit on man flu and clearly its messing my head up.

Your spot on it what your saying.

Offline Suarez325

• Kopite
  • Road End Whopper
« Reply #576 on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:59 am »
I think there have been worse players for us this season (vice captain). I also agree that our tactics aren't doing him any favours.

However if Roy thinks thats the case then I actually think this represents a positive statement as I didn't think he would ever openly criticise one of our English players and Johnson does need to improve defensively.

Offline theblackhumor

• Anny Roader
  • oh boy.
« Reply #577 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:09 am »
Give me Alvaro Arbeloa , the 3 million fullback over Glen Johnson , the 18 Million ATTACKING fullback. Anytime.

Should he have gone public with his comments? Probably not.

And I saw the same 120K figure in The Guardian too. Insane if true.

Wasn't Arby less than that? Couldn't believe a solid full back like him was sold for 5 mil pounds, definitely worth 7-8 considering he was on our first team for most of the title challenge season  :no

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:24 am »
If you're going to play attacking fullbacks you need mobile centre halfs and a mobile sitting midfielder. It's also good to have wide midfielders/wingers that graft and track back. Attacking full backs are pretty much essential in today's game, but they will always get caught out of position. That's why mobility is needed at the back. Johnson getting caught upfield is no big deal when you've got players like Kuyt, Mascherano, Agger, Skrytle to get over there. That's how it is in today's football, and there's the rub...
Oh well, I'm really looking forward to a titanic struggle between our deep lying, flat back four and Stokes Stormtroopers. It'll be great. A real up and at em, good old Ingurlish, blood and guts battle. So let's all stop moaning and hail Roy for sort of doing what the media promised us he would do, and bringing back the good old days.

Absolutely - surely the team will start wearing those old Candy jerseys, and Reina will have to get those cloth caps and everyone needs to either get an Afro or a mullet.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #579 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:45 am »
17M is par for course for an international class attacking full back of Johnson's age. Also, Benitez was under grave constraints - he was

since when has an international full back cost 17M ?

this is precisely why camolli has come to the club

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: November 13, 2010, 11:12:24 am »
So let's all stop moaning and hail Roy for sort of doing what the media promised us he would do, and bringing back the good old days.

not to mention how he has bought the warmth back to the dressing room

looking fucking toasty from the look on roys face most games

how much would ramos, maicon, alves, lahm etc cost if they were sold this summer. Alves has already sold for more

a very good full back like glen does cost that sort of money
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:15:56 am by LFCfan4Life »
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #581 on: November 13, 2010, 11:13:09 am »
Yeah but lots of players hven't been great, why pick on one?

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: November 13, 2010, 11:13:13 am »

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #583 on: November 13, 2010, 11:13:40 am »
It's very simple, Glenn doesn't fit. It's not a personal thing, it's more that the way Rafa wanted us to play was with attacking full backs and the way Roy wants us to play is with full backs staying deep. Johnson is not suited to that at all.

I wish we had brought in a manager who could have played to the squad's strengths rather than trying to make players into something they're not to adjust his 'tried and trusted' methods.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: November 13, 2010, 11:14:49 am »
Wasn't Arby less than that? Couldn't believe a solid full back like him was sold for 5 mil pounds, definitely worth 7-8 considering he was on our first team for most of the title challenge season  :no

Real came calling for Arbeloa and he wanted to leave, so I don't think the club had much choice.

Offline Milly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • JFT 96
« Reply #585 on: November 13, 2010, 11:14:56 am »
Roy wants to take a look in the fucking mirror, he wants to buck his ideas up. If we sit any deeper we won't fucking need Pepe anyway cos the nets will be full.....
Smash it ??

Offline vitri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: November 13, 2010, 11:15:12 am »
£120K a week since he signed on 22nd june 09. approx £8-9M in wages alone + £10 million cash + Crouch (proven English International striker). Great deal all round

Steady on.

Firstly, I've read some people say in this thread that his wages are £120k while others say only £60k. So that's unconfirmed.

Secondly, selling Crouch was unfortunate but we couldn't guarantee him the first team football he wanted, so given that the player wanted to leave it's not strictly a bad decision.

Finally, the machinations of the Crouch and Johnson deals have no relevance here. Almost to a man (and woman) we agree that his form hasn't been top-notch. But it's the way Roy has gone about dealing with it (especially in the light of the Poulsen comments) that ought to be looked at.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: November 13, 2010, 11:18:14 am »

LMAO 120k my arse get a grip if you think johnson is on more than half that

£17m-£9m = £8m simple math mate

Crouch was in the last year of his contract and wouldnt sign a new one you remember that? we couldnt afford to let £11m fuck off on a free transfer in 12 months time

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #588 on: November 13, 2010, 11:20:01 am »
Yeah but lots of players hven't been great, why pick on one?

Because of his price and the fact he is England's number 1 right-back?

@ Mad Men.

Didnt he admit Poulsen has'nt had a good start? That is as good as admitting his own signing has'nt cut it so far.Its unfair to mention Agger in that , he is injured , but its ok for you to mention an injured player but not Roy?

This is the problem here , you call Roy's comments on Johnson ''a rollocking'' , its far from that.Everything overblown yet again.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: November 13, 2010, 11:20:37 am »
Steady on.

Firstly, I've read some people say in this thread that his wages are £120k while others say only £60k. So that's unconfirmed.

Secondly, selling Crouch was unfortunate but we couldn't guarantee him the first team football he wanted, so given that the player wanted to leave it's not strictly a bad decision.

Finally, the machinations of the Crouch and Johnson deals have no relevance here. Almost to a man (and woman) we agree that his form hasn't been top-notch. But it's the way Roy has gone about dealing with it (especially in the light of the Poulsen comments) that ought to be looked at.

regardless of Crouch wanting away the value of his sale was used in the Johnson deal. It would be very interesting to know if Johnson is on £120K - I would not be surprised. The cost of this signing for a right back is frightening

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:01 am »
I think it was CHOPPER the other day who suggested we play a 5-3-2 and i think that is the best way forward with attacking wingbacks. Johnson would have less defensive responsibility and we would probably see a better game from him and Kelly could play RCB (his preferred position) with the Greek in the middle and Agger on the LCB.

It also allows us to play Gerrard Meireles and Lucas all in the middle.

IMO, this is an option that should be looked at but it won't be :)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:03 am »
not to mention how he has bought the warmth back to the dressing room

looking fucking toasty from the look on roys face most games

how much would ramos, maicon, alves, lahm etc cost if they were sold this summer. Alves has already sold for more

a very good full back like glen does cost that sort of money
Over the last few years mate, full back has become one of the most important positions on the pitch. The price of these fellas will just keep going up and up.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #592 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:11 am »
Am I thhe only one annoyed that he kept talking about being England's no.1? Seems like a direct appeal to the media and like Hodgson sees Liverpool and his job of secondary importance to England.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:27 am »
whilst he isnt wrong for giving him a bollocking it should be done in private, not public

Offline lookieman

• Kopite
« Reply #594 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:38 am »

David Alves, Sergio Ramos, Ashley Cole?

Offline Spectre

• One Day In the Life of Ivan Sphincterovich. Inmate 00013 of RAWK Gulag 25
  • Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #595 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:52 am »
Real came calling for Arbeloa and he wanted to leave, so I don't think the club had much choice.
I am sure he would've reconsidered or at least thought about it , had we offered him a contract anywhere near to what GJ allegedly is on. Or even 3/4 of that number.

But he's English isn't he?  Buy expensive English stars, Brilliant, cost effective and time proven strategy.Our *senior* players would have been happy to see that , another Englishman replacing the foreigner with the funny accent.
GENERAL LUCAS LEIVA , MIDFIELD REGIMENT.

Racism is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out
NO Race , NO Ethnicity , NO Religion. Only Human.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:55 am »

Alves' transfer fee was officially 23M GBP but it is said that it could rise to as much as Euros41 million.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/spain/2009/06/03/1302291/dani-alves-sevilla-to-barcelona-transfer-fee-could-balloon

Bosingwa cost Chelsea GBP16.1 million. Let's not forget the English premium.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2300302/Chelsea-beat-rivals-to-sign-Jose-Bosingwa.html

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: November 13, 2010, 11:23:08 am »
LMAO 120k my arse get a grip if you think johnson is on more than half that

£17m-£9m = £8m simple math mate

Crouch was in the last year of his contract and wouldnt sign a new one you remember that? we couldnt afford to let £11m fuck off on a free transfer in 12 months time

Simple business, it was an £17 million purchase with huge signing fees and wages (who really knows what this figure is?) for a right back who is no better than what we've had

Offline vitri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: November 13, 2010, 11:23:31 am »
Over the last few years mate, full back has become one of the most important positions on the pitch. The price of these fellas will just keep going up and up.

Plus he's English.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: November 13, 2010, 11:24:14 am »
Alves' transfer fee was officially 23M GBP but it is said that it could rise to as much as Euros41 million.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/spain/2009/06/03/1302291/dani-alves-sevilla-to-barcelona-transfer-fee-could-balloon

Bosingwa cost Chelsea GBP16.1 million. Let's not forget the English premium.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2300302/Chelsea-beat-rivals-to-sign-Jose-Bosingwa.html

like comparing a Ford Mondeo to 2 x BMW's