Author Topic: Everton 0 - 0 Liverpool Full time meh  (Read 87819 times)

Offline fitzy23

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Everton 0 - 0 Liverpool Full time meh
« Reply #880 on: February 8, 2015, 04:22:55 am »
I am sorry but no, moving Gerrard to Lucas's position would not have been a good idea, tactically.

Allen for Lucas was the correct substitution, otherwise there's no point in having him on the bench if he doesn't come in for an injured CM.

Taking Coutinho off to bring in Sturridge is the one that made very little sense. Still, Everton did not really threaten us, and we weren't actually poor at all going forward, just a bit unlucky: they got some crucial blocks in to prevent some decent efforts that would otherwise have been on target frpm reaching the target.

One point out of the Goodison derby is not a bad result, anyway, us needing 3 points notwithstanding.

Everton were offering nothing in central midfield. McCarthy was non-existant all game, Besic was just kicking people and Barry was poor. All they were doing was hitting it long to Lukaku from defense. Gerrard could of done exactly the same job Lucas was doing, and we would of gained more in attack with Markovic on the right and Ibe higher up the pitch instead of being wasted further back.

If you look at the numbers, Coutinho has actually been playing a silly amount of football recently. And he did take that heavy hit earlier in the game. So I can understand Rodgers protecting him, especially with Spurs coming. But yeah, before Phil was brought off right after he set up a couple of attacks with some beautiful passes to Sterling. Even knackered, he would of been useful on the pitch. When he did go off we completely lost our creativity in the final third.

I was wondering who Sturridge would come on for. The right decision would of been for Gerrard really. Not Phil or Raheem. But as I said, sentiment.
'Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.'

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #881 on: February 8, 2015, 04:22:57 am »
The 1 point from this is only really going to be a good point if we get six from Spurs and Southampton. Otherwise, it will be 2 points lost.

6 points from the next two would put us on course for a 70-71 point finish if we play to par with the rest of the games. Beating one of City or Chelsea along the way, though, will make things even better.

I figure par for the two derbies is 4 points, right PoP? Therefore, I suppose we were really aiming for three and should be disheartened we only got one.

Six points from Spurs and Southampton would be a tall order, imo. Let's hope we make it happen.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: February 8, 2015, 04:26:37 am »

Sterling is still very raw as a footballer, and needs a lot of coaching to improve to become a world class player. His finishing and decision making at times are just awful. Just like the game at Chelsea in the CC, his final decision making is just terrible. Making the wrong passes, shooting at the wrong times, etc. He needs to improve a lot.

Jordan Ibe was excellent, especially due to the fact he had to play wing-back all game. What I like about Ibe is that he has strength on the ball, something Sterling lacks. He seems to be a more intelligent player with the ball too. He's a great prospect.

No just no

Offline fitzy23

• Kemlynite
« Reply #883 on: February 8, 2015, 04:40:46 am »
No just no

Great argument. Would read again! :D
'Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.'

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #884 on: February 8, 2015, 04:42:31 am »
Great argument. Would read again! :D

It was a response. Yours wasn't an argument, either, to be fair.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #885 on: February 8, 2015, 04:45:25 am »
Coutinho looked fine when he came off, which was quite awhile after the heavy tackle on him. I think he was substituted because he's just played a lot of football recently and looked visibly tired.

Lucas is the one I'm worried about. Hoping it isn't anything serious, and the scan comes back fine.
YWNA

Offline fitzy23

• Kemlynite
« Reply #886 on: February 8, 2015, 04:50:23 am »
It was a response. Yours wasn't an argument, either, to be fair.

I made my point mate. He never made his.  :)

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: February 8, 2015, 06:00:58 am »
Sterling looks absolutely spent now and ready for his post season break after a full season of games. He really should have been rotated earlier in the season and despite that week away in the Caribbean he just looks to be struggling now physically and mentally. I just can't see him playing well for the rest of the season without some well managed rest and rotation.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: February 8, 2015, 06:14:24 am »
Coutinho looked fine when he came off, which was quite awhile after the heavy tackle on him. I think he was substituted because he's just played a lot of football recently and looked visibly tired.

Lucas is the one I'm worried about. Hoping it isn't anything serious, and the scan comes back fine.

If Rodgers thought Phil looked tired what did he think of Gerrard, I wonder?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #889 on: February 8, 2015, 06:22:55 am »
Gotta say that Mignolet's transformation has been quite remarkable. He actually looks confident and makes me feel confident. A change from shitting myself whenever the ball would go near him.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: February 8, 2015, 07:32:33 am »
I was a little bit dissappointed by the performances of Jordan Henderson as it was the case in previous big games before whenever the likes of Lucas or Coutinho are not around.

I don't think he was bad at all but for being the main man for the upcoming years there is way too less quality compared to our two brasilians. He is a good player but far from being "the captain for years to come.." or something like that..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #891 on: February 8, 2015, 07:32:39 am »
Gotta say that Mignolet's transformation has been quite remarkable. He actually looks confident and makes me feel confident. A change from shitting myself whenever the ball would go near him.

He had 1 save to make. Yes he looks better but he couldn't get any worse could he? We still need a new number 1 in the summer in my eyes.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: February 8, 2015, 07:34:03 am »
If Rodgers thought Phil looked tired what did he think of Gerrard, I wonder?

You don't take off Gerrard in his last derby, that wouldn't be right, not a single bit. What's even more important though is that we will be playing Tottenham in two days and need a win, for that the substitutions all made sense..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: February 8, 2015, 07:39:05 am »
You don't take off Gerrard in his last derby, that wouldn't be right, not a single bit. What's even more important though is that we will be playing Tottenham in two days and need a win, for that the substitutions all made sense..

We needed to win yesterday and we need to win on Tuesday, we now really need to beat Southampton too which there would've been less pressure on had we beat Everton. Gerrard was never in the game and isn't really suited to the way we play at the moment. In fact, he'd arguably be best in the back three than anywhere else if we continue with this set up.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: February 8, 2015, 07:41:21 am »
I think just Rickie Lambert getting on the pitch for us is enough to make a lot of people despair - he's been desperately poor.

Very harsh on Lambert.

What were you expecting? Do you know how hard it is to come on as a sub in the last 10mins or so and get into a game? It's very hard.

Lambert was brought into be a sub and is doing a decent job. He is our 3rd highest goal scorer . Have a go at our defenders, midfielders and the other forwards for not scoring enough.

It's funny how you have a go at Lambert when Studdrige was mighty poor and he had like 25mins more game time than Lambert. Yes I know he has just come back
from injury but if we're talking about the game he was poor.

Stop using a sub as an excuse when really he isn't to blame. Look at the 1st team players. 
« Last Edit: February 8, 2015, 07:53:16 am by Fordy »

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #895 on: February 8, 2015, 07:47:31 am »
Wasn't too optimistic getting a good result here. I thought we would get a draw but that's only because derby games at Goodison park are tough and we most of the times find it difficult to show our quality difference...

Yesterday to me showed that we still need another striker and perhaps another winger so we can really get the attacking output that we want and need...

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #896 on: February 8, 2015, 07:52:55 am »
We needed to win yesterday and we need to win on Tuesday, we now really need to beat Southampton too which there would've been less pressure on had we beat Everton. Gerrard was never in the game and isn't really suited to the way we play at the moment. In fact, he'd arguably be best in the back three than anywhere else if we continue with this set up.
Tuesday is more important as it's a six pointer. If we do win that then I'd say that four points in four days isn't a bad return given the nature if the opposition - biggest rivals and an in form Spurs.

We can't win every game and it just didn't happen yesterday.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: February 8, 2015, 08:03:46 am »
Tuesday is more important as it's a six pointer. If we do win that then I'd say that four points in four days isn't a bad return given the nature if the opposition - biggest rivals and an in form Spurs.

I think as much as Everton set out for a draw Rodgers was very happy with a draw.

It seems he ironed out 4 points from Everton and Spurs but with Spurs beating Arsenal this now becomes a 6 pointer for us.

Lose or draw and it could leave us with to much to do to get into the top 4.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: February 8, 2015, 08:12:46 am »

Indeed but I just feel yesterday was an opportunity missed, especially the last ten when we could've really gone for it. Instead we settled. That's a bit of a disappointment. But as a performance it again showed how hard to beat we are and frankly Everton showed us a huge amount of respect on their own turf.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #899 on: February 8, 2015, 08:14:51 am »
The way I see the rest of the season now is we aren't going to win all 14 games. That's just not going to happen, so what we have to do is win our 6-pointer games. The games against Spurs, Southampton, Arsenal and Man Utd. We must win them and try and pick up as many points as we can from the rest and see were it takes us.

Offline jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #900 on: February 8, 2015, 08:14:51 am »
Anyone here who has played past the age of 30 will know what Gerrard's going through. It's a terrible thing; your brain knows exactly what it wants to do, and it's probably still seeing things faster than everyone else. But the legs - the legs just don't follow at the same rate of thought.

It's never technique that goes. You always have that. It really is the legs. Not the energy, either. It's the speed of the message going from your brain to your feet. That's what gets messed up, and that's why players either drop down the levels or retire.
And at that level there is no sentiment. The young wolves are all over him, with no time to settle. I genuinely don't think he should start another game as he doesn't fit our style of play. Of course use him from the bench
I know what Bob Paisley would have done........

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: February 8, 2015, 08:32:18 am »
And at that level there is no sentiment. The young wolves are all over him, with no time to settle. I genuinely don't think he should start another game as he doesn't fit our style of play. Of course use him from the bench
I know what Bob Paisley would have done........

I think he is struggling as a right forward but once again could of been our match winner. We don't have enough match winners in our team.

It's a issue this squad currently has.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: February 8, 2015, 08:39:07 am »
Gerrard probably did look the most likely to score. He's not a great fit but I think people are exaggerating how poor he was. Decent free kick, the bicycle kick, had another first time shot, the cross missed by sterling mentioned above and the one he set Lambert up for his half chance. Aside from a couple of Ibe's they were the best chances we had all night.

He was a 6/10. Not a night he would be happy with but people are making out like he was a 3/10 or something.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: February 8, 2015, 08:43:11 am »
The advantage is when it comes to prioritising competitions is that the 2 league games this week will determine what it is we actually do. If we win both then we may look to give some players a rest in the Europa. I reckon if we dont then it becomes an important competition for us.

Offline Henderson Our Hero

• Founding Member of the Claire Rourke Fan Club - Swedish Branch (vi håller ögonen på dig....)
  • Kopite
  • This is Jordan
« Reply #904 on: February 8, 2015, 08:44:38 am »
Coutinhos status?

Ppl claiming BR is a coward since he let SG stay and Cou walk of makes me sick.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #905 on: February 8, 2015, 08:51:11 am »
What a bore. I'd say all of our key players looked knackered. To me, that's down to poor squad managment from Rodgers. He's overworked some players something ridiculous. Playing Gerrard the full 90 v Bolton and today again is so baffling, I won't even try to begin to understand what the fuck Rodgers was thinking. Gerrard shouldn't have started, end of. Saw plenty of fans saying Gerrard had to start as it was a derby. Why? He's not part of our best XI and played 90 mins a few day earlier. The younger ones, like Raheem and Phil, I don't mind as much for playing 2 full matches in 5 days as they're young and recuperate quicker. The Gerrard inclusion I don't get. Sentiment? Will there be more game he "has" to start? Chelsea, City, United? This might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it hurts our chances of winning games. Please note that this is a criticism towards Rodgers, not Gerrard, for asking the captain to do things he's not capable of anymore.

It's also clear to see that we need to upgrade in midfield. When the drop off is so big from Lucas, who's decent but not much more, to Allen, we're in trouble. Lucas's injury disrupted us. Allen is a nice fella, I'm sure, but as a footballer, he's very beige.

I thought Henderson was mediocre too. Lots of poor passes and didn't impose himself on the game like we all know he can.

Sterling had another game where he was too greedy. Ibe was impressive. Skrtel, since shifting to 3 at the back, is having a good season. About the back 3, I think there was incessant passing across the backline. Build from the back by all means, but we were slow and invited pressure and gave up possession too many times.

Nah, this was annoying. They were there for the taking, there to inflict a heavy defeat on, but we didn't want it enough.

February is make or break time for our league season. This was a squandered opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2015, 08:53:27 am by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #906 on: February 8, 2015, 08:51:31 am »
Knew this would happen as soon as we dropped points.

4th place was always going to be an outside bet given the start we had. We all knew that. We've done very well in terms of recent form but that doesn't mean others have stopped playing either...

Last 6 games for example:
Libpool - 14 points
Spurs - 13 points
Saints - 13 points
Arsenal - 12 points
United - 11 points (if they win today)

So not a lot of points difference is there? Fact is we gotta just keep going and consistantly get more then that lot. That's it. We only have to be better than those teams, forget the rest that's our mini league.

And with a lot of games directly against them coming up who knows.

I don't think anybody is wrong in saying top 4 is a hard ask, I've thought that for a while now too and have not pinned much hopes on it. But in no way is it beyond reach yet...so there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking this game by game. Let's just see what happens and keep focused..
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: February 8, 2015, 08:52:58 am »
The advantage is when it comes to prioritising competitions is that the 2 league games this week will determine what it is we actually do. If we win both then we may look to give some players a rest in the Europa. I reckon if we dont then it becomes an important competition for us.

There's also an expectation on Rodgers to challenge for a trophy, the need of which he himself has acknowledged. Regardless of what happens in the league, the Europa is still an important competition, we simply should field the best possible 11, Beşiktaş could be a tricky opponent.

With the tv money in the English league these days, for me, making the champions league has lost the critical factor that it used to carry financially.

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: February 8, 2015, 08:56:16 am »
Knew this would happen as soon as we dropped points.

4th place was always going to be an outside bet given the start we had. We all knew that. We've done very well in terms of recent form but that doesn't mean others have stopped playing either...

Last 6 games for example:
Libpool - 14 points
Spurs - 13 points
Saints - 13 points
Arsenal - 12 points
United - 11 points (if they win today)

So not a lot of points difference is there? Fact is we gotta just keep going and consistantly get more then that lot. That's it. We only have to be better than those teams, forget the rest that's our mini league.

And with a lot of games directly against them coming up who knows.

I don't think anybody is wrong in saying top 4 is a hard ask, I've thought that for a while now too and have not pinned much hopes on it. But in no way is it beyond reach yet...so there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking this game by game. Let's just see what happens and keep focused..

Quest for 4th is more complicated than just us winning our games. We depend on others dropping points too. If it were just between us and 1 other team, it's more straightforward, but when it's between 3 or 4 teams, the odds rise dramatically.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #909 on: February 8, 2015, 08:56:27 am »
Sterling is still very raw as a footballer, and needs a lot of coaching to improve to become a world class player. His finishing and decision making at times are just awful. Just like the game at Chelsea in the CC, his final decision making is just terrible. Making the wrong passes, shooting at the wrong times, etc. He needs to improve a lot.

Jordan Ibe was excellent, especially due to the fact he had to play wing-back all game. What I like about Ibe is that he has strength on the ball, something Sterling lacks. He seems to be a more intelligent player with the ball too. He's a great prospect.

A wee bit harsh on Sterling maybe but there's truth in what you say.....a bit more composure and thought from him yesterday and we take all 3 points.....eg, the square ball that was begging to be played to an unmarked Gerrard in the 6 yard box (the same Gerrard that couldn't keep up with play according to the rawk cognoscenti)....on such decisions Derby's are won and lost....or drawn

Very impressed with Ibe - not just because of his technical ability, but his overall demeanor...looks like he can really handle himself at this level....wasn't fazed at all by the Scream Masks in the Bullens and Street end....and reacted with ice calm after being absolutely fuckin clattered by dog-of-war Besic just before half time in front of the Glwadys street Gurners..a tackle as bad as the one that lead to his booking btw, but one that was overlooked by the officals and the commentators.......I like him and his Tungsten balls
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: February 8, 2015, 08:56:52 am »
There's also an expectation on Rodgers to challenge for a trophy, the need of which he himself has acknowledged. Regardless of what happens in the league, the Europa is still an important competition, we simply should field the best possible 11, Beşiktaş could be a tricky opponent.

With the tv money in the English league these days, for me, making the champions league has lost the critical factor that it used to carry financially.

Certain players are going to have to be rested and rotated though. We had 3 matches in a week against 3 aggressive sides and we potentially have suffered injuries to 2 or 3 players. Thats matches where travelling hasnt been that great either.

I am never keen on rotating players but we still have a hectic schedule coming up with even greater travelling. Somewhere we are going to have to let Coutinho, Sterling etc. skip a game to minimise their risk of injury.

We dont really have an excuse not to rotate a bit in attacking midfield with Markovic, Lallana, Gerrard and now Ibe in those positions.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2015, 08:58:53 am by killer_heels »

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: February 8, 2015, 08:58:21 am »

Lucas out will be definitely a problem... we are depending more or less on one player at the moment and I think his injury could cost us top 4...

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: February 8, 2015, 09:02:46 am »
What a bore. I'd say all of our key players looked knackered. To me, that's down to poor squad managment from Rodgers. He's overworked some players something ridiculous. Playing Gerrard the full 90 v Bolton and today again is so baffling, I won't even try to begin to understand what the fuck Rodgers was thinking. Gerrard shouldn't have started, end of. Saw plenty of fans saying Gerrard had to start as it was a derby. Why? He's not part of our best XI and played 90 mins a few day earlier. The younger ones, like Raheem and Phil, I don't mind as much for playing 2 full matches in 5 days as they're young and recuperate quicker. The Gerrard inclusion I don't get. Sentiment? Will there be more game he "has" to start? Chelsea, City, United? This might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it hurts our chances of winning games. Please note that this is a criticism towards Rodgers, not Gerrard, for asking the captain to do things he's not capable of anymore.

It's also clear to see that we need to upgrade in midfield. When the drop off is so big from Lucas, who's decent but not much more, to Allen, we're in trouble. Lucas's injury disrupted us. Allen is a nice fella, I'm sure, but as a footballer, he's very beige.

I thought Henderson was mediocre too. Lots of poor passes and didn't impose himself on the game like we all know he can.

Sterling had another game where he was too greedy. Ibe was impressive. Skrtel, since shifting to 3 at the back, is having a good season. About the back 3, I think there was incessant passing across the backline. Build from the back by all means, but we were slow and invited pressure and gave up possession too many times.

Nah, this was annoying. They were there for the taking, there to inflict a heavy defeat on, but we didn't want it enough.

February is make or break time for our league season. This was a squandered opportunity.
Rodgers still doesn't know how to rotate effectively.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: February 8, 2015, 09:03:29 am »
Lucas out will be definitely a problem... we are depending more or less on one player at the moment and I think his injury could cost us top 4...

To me, there's an obvious solution. Push Can up into midfield with Henderson, then play Skrtel - Lovren- Sakho. Skrtel may struggle at RCB, but if we make sure he gets help from the wingback, I think he'll be fine. I mean, Lovren has to get another chance at some point, and with Henderson and Can in front of him, there'll be sufficient protection.

I simply don't think we can afford to go with any midfield 2 with either Gerrard or Allen in it.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: February 8, 2015, 09:03:59 am »
Certain players are going to have to be rested and rotated though. We had 3 matches in a week against 3 aggressive sides and we potentially have suffered injuries to 2 or 3 players. Thats matches where travelling hasnt been that great either.

I am never keen on rotating players but we still have a hectic schedule coming up with even greater travelling. Somewhere we are going to have to let Coutinho, Sterling etc. skip a game to minimise their risk of injury.

We dont really have an excuse not to rotate a bit in attacking midfield with Markovic, Lallana, Gerrard and now Ibe in those positions.

Yeah, problem is attacking mid seems to be the only position where we can rotate players without a serious drop in quality.

The other areas you can pretty much read the manager's thoughts by the players he chooses. What a horrible time for Lucas to get injured.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #915 on: February 8, 2015, 09:05:02 am »

I tend to agree. In my opinion, it is far more important for this team to win something this season than to scrape into fourth. My choice would be to go all out to win the UEFA Cup, as psychologically, that would do Brendan, the players and the fans far more good, and qualify us for the Champion's League as champions of something. Medals and a trophy. I also think we've got a far better chance of that than getting into the top four this season.

As for the game yesterday, it was a disappointment but I thought the decisions made were understandable. No-one really stood out and there seemed to be a few decisions in the final third that were about trying to get Stevie a good send off goal. I actually embrace that, since he's done so much for the club he deserves a game or two of indulgence. But you could see his thoughts were two metres ahead of his body's ability to execute. Father Time is a brute.

Everton were determine not to lose, which is understandable. Had Ibe's shot gone in, we'd have been ecstatic. Most importantly, the young lad showed real composure and skill. I did think, however, that we missed Markovic's defensive work, which gets underrated I feel.

Just need to leave off the woodwork these days!
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: February 8, 2015, 09:06:07 am »

Fucking hell, how negative. Both third and fourth positions are completely up for grabs and there's plenty of football still to play.

Think we just want 'ol small ears in the cabinet again

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #917 on: February 8, 2015, 09:07:18 am »
Gerrard shouldn't have started, end of. Saw plenty of fans saying Gerrard had to start as it was a derby. Why? He's not part of our best XI and played 90 mins a few day earlier. The younger ones, like Raheem and Phil, I don't mind as much for playing 2 full matches in 5 days as they're young and recuperate quicker. The Gerrard inclusion I don't get. Sentiment? Will there be more game he "has" to start? Chelsea, City, United? This might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it hurts our chances of winning games. Please note that this is a criticism towards Rodgers, not Gerrard, for asking the captain to do things he's not capable of anymore.

Gerrard definitely should have started. It's not like we're rolling out a 90-year-old for sentiments sake.

It's so easy to say in retrospect. And of course he doesn't 'have' to start vs United, CIty or Chelsea. This was the derby, his final one.

The whole team was pretty poor, don't lambast Rodgers for playing one of our greatest players in a game that clearly meant so much to him.

I do, however, agree that it is asking a lot of him to play 90 minutes midweek and then this.

And just imagine if that bicycle kick had gone in!!!

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: February 8, 2015, 09:07:42 am »
Gerrard probably did look the most likely to score. He's not a great fit but I think people are exaggerating how poor he was. Decent free kick, the bicycle kick, had another first time shot, the cross missed by sterling mentioned above and the one he set Lambert up for his half chance. Aside from a couple of Ibe's they were the best chances we had all night.

He was a 6/10. Not a night he would be happy with but people are making out like he was a 3/10 or something.
Agree and but we talk about building a team but currently we have a team that lacks match winners. We don't boss the game from midfield.

Move Can into midfield along side a lucas or an upgrade in Lucas in the summer then we might see us doing that but with the likes of Allen & Hendo we stand no chance.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #919 on: February 8, 2015, 09:08:45 am »

With tv-rights set to be auctioned again, you have a point, but the £20m plus, is an important part of the financial jigsaw. Not only because of the prize money itself, but also for bumping other sponsorship deals, as I'm sure CL participation strenghtens our negotiating power.
Love Ren & Stimpy