Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 779067 times)

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #7040 on: February 29, 2024, 01:53:00 pm »
Only Salah Virgil Alisson ahead of him.

I love Joe Gomes, I think he's a great player and, a great lad and has been hugely valuable to us this season however I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7041 on: February 29, 2024, 01:59:11 pm »
Of those, only Virg and Gomez have been ever present.

I don't know what this means to any POTY shout, but Gomez has 12 starts (and 10 subs) in the league. Alisson has 21, Salah, Szob & Mac have 20, Trent 19, Nunez 16 and Jota 13.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7042 on: February 29, 2024, 11:47:36 pm »
I love Joe Gomes, I think he's a great player and, a great lad and has been hugely valuable to us this season however I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

I would love to hear the argument of Szoboszlai having a better season than Gomez for this team..

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
« Reply #7043 on: March 1, 2024, 11:16:54 am »
I have never been so happy to be wrong about a footballer. Genuinely thought his time had been and gone with all the injury problems and that a fresh start was best for all parties. Should never doubt Klopp's judgement.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2024, 11:21:02 am by ValiantInstance »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7044 on: March 1, 2024, 11:24:25 am »
He's going to start up front next. The lad seems to be willing to play anywhere if it means helping out the team. James Milner Part 2
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7045 on: March 1, 2024, 01:42:25 pm »

While its true Dominic started off really well he hasn't kept the standard up to the beginning which is why I would not have him in front of Joe Gomez. It's not unusual for a new player and I think we'll see his true worth after a proper pre-season. You have to take into account how many different positions Joe has played in this season and the fact that he has been consistently good once he's got used to playing there.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #7046 on: March 1, 2024, 04:21:54 pm »
I have never been so happy to be wrong about a footballer. Genuinely thought his time had been and gone with all the injury problems and that a fresh start was best for all parties. Should never doubt Klopp's judgement.

Yep, this! I'd pretty much all but written him off as a top player for us about 12 - 18 months ago. How fucking wrong I was! What a player he is! I'm absolutely delighted for him and so, so glad he's proved me & so many others completely wrong.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7047 on: March 1, 2024, 05:20:50 pm »
I would love to hear the argument of Szoboszlai having a better season than Gomez for this team..

My main argument would be that he's played better than him and had a more positive, transformational impact on many aspects of the team up to and including shape, mobility, pressing, guile and goals.

As I said, Joe Gomez is great and I am not seeking to put him down but personally, I do not believe he's been close to our best player this season. He has not been our best defender, he's most likely not in our best 11 and in my opinion, there are also a goalkeeper, midfielders and forwards ahead of him. What a lovely thing to have so many great footballers playing for us.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7048 on: March 1, 2024, 09:09:22 pm »
Neither have been our player of the season IMO but has Gomez had a bad game? Love Szoboszlai but he had a few poor games on the bounce, most likely due to tiredness but still

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7049 on: March 1, 2024, 09:20:59 pm »
Neither have been our player of the season IMO but has Gomez had a bad game? Love Szoboszlai but he had a few poor games on the bounce, most likely due to tiredness but still

Exactly.

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7050 on: March 1, 2024, 09:41:15 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily say he's been one of our best players this season in pure performance terms, but I think he has a decent argument for being one of the most important. Consistently fit, playing to a very high level across multiple positions, whenever  and wherever we've needed him.

In a season where nearly every player in the squad has had a decent spell on the sidelines injured whilst we've remained top of the league, I'm honestly not sure we'd still be there if Gomez hadn't been consistently fit. Have Salah, Alisson, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Jota had better individual seasons? Perhaps. But take them out and we've still kept going. Gomez has featured varyingly because Robertson, Tsimikas, Trent and Bradley were all long-term injury absences, often at the same time. Take him out and who knows where we'd be.

He's been superb though, personally think it's the best he's ever played for us - so consistent, so flexible, playing in a constantly changing side, and stepping up and putting in 7 or 8/10 minimum, every single week. After last season I genuinely didn't think he had this level in him anymore, but what a turnaround. It's actually nearly impossible to overstate the difference in his performances this season vs last season. Well in Joe.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7051 on: March 1, 2024, 09:48:05 pm »
Been absolutely brilliant this season. We are so lucky to have such a versatile player in our squad.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7052 on: March 2, 2024, 05:02:44 pm »
Fair play to Joe today, did a job today. And he did incredibly well to win the corner that led to the goal. Put full effort in to get to the ball, turn and deflect the ball off the Forrest player.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #7053 on: March 2, 2024, 05:08:20 pm »
Fair play to Joe today, did a job today. And he did incredibly well to win the corner that led to the goal. Put full effort in to get to the ball, turn and deflect the ball off the Forrest player.

Came to post the same thing.

Absolutely brilliant to win that corner. Played much better in midfield today too. We’ve got a James Milner utility man replacement

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7054 on: March 2, 2024, 05:12:21 pm »
He plays everywhere does Joe and always gives everything. Well played Joe.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7055 on: March 2, 2024, 05:23:26 pm »
Vs Nottingham:

Defensive midfield
Left back
Right back

Proving his worth when we need him the most. Again.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #7056 on: March 2, 2024, 05:27:23 pm »
Vs Nottingham:

Defensive midfield
Left back
Right back

Proving his worth when we need him the most. Again.
Said it before, will probably say it again, player of the season. In the midst of an injury crisis he’s played in so many roles.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline fallenhd

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7057 on: March 2, 2024, 05:29:49 pm »
Needs to be our starting LB for the rest of the season . Has the been the best in that position the whole season and we're so much more solid with him playing there.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7058 on: March 2, 2024, 06:56:34 pm »
Needs to be our starting LB for the rest of the season . Has the been the best in that position the whole season and we're so much more solid with him playing there.

He actually struggled a bit when he went back there. Fell asleep a couple of times. But overall a very solid game. He's probably fatigued.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #7059 on: March 2, 2024, 07:05:17 pm »
He actually struggled a bit when he went back there. Fell asleep a couple of times. But overall a very solid game. He's probably fatigued.
I notice this too. He regularly gave 9/10 performances as LB for us for a while, but as soon as the players were coming back and he's been shipped around the pitch again, his performance kind of suffered a bit. Still did a job given the circumstance but now he'd give 7/10 performances because he has to adapt and change his game so frequently. Victim of his own versatility.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7060 on: March 2, 2024, 07:11:04 pm »
Hopefully we can move Joe back into defence now. But while in midfield, he did his best, didn't let anyone down, and we got two wins on the trot, which is all you can ask. Well done Joe!

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #7061 on: March 3, 2024, 10:24:57 am »
Credit where it's due, haven't been a fan of him after his numerous unfortunate injuries but Joe is putting in excellent performances this season in 3 different positions. Hope we can keep him fit.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7062 on: March 3, 2024, 11:53:46 am »
I wouldn't necessarily say he's been one of our best players this season in pure performance terms, but I think he has a decent argument for being one of the most important. Consistently fit, playing to a very high level across multiple positions, whenever  and wherever we've needed him.

With you on this.

Particularly enjoying his consistent run given his chequered past. The whole club is reaping the rewards for his patience and hard work. A great example to the kids.

He's the new James Milner!

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7063 on: March 3, 2024, 12:44:36 pm »
Looks well able to play in midfield.  He is such a good footballer so not surprising really.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7064 on: March 3, 2024, 06:17:34 pm »
Would love to give him a rest too - like not playing midweek - but more likely he will be on the bench Sunday.

Offline WestieRed

• Main Stander
  • BELIEVER
« Reply #7065 on: March 3, 2024, 06:42:35 pm »
I’m loving what Gomez is doing this season. Our longest serving player who has had at least 2 potentially career ending injuries that he has fought back from. He is, in old terms, a model pro, never complains about anything, where he plays, when he plays, or who he plays with. Never known him to raise his head in anger or show any disrespect towards the club in the whole time he’s been here. And yet he’s clearly as hard as nails and mentally super focussed and determined to have travelled the road he has done. He is a dedicated and true professional.

I think he’s as magnificient as any of our players (who are ALL magnificient by the way ;D) and still so young. Fingers crossed he stays fit and has years ahead of him here. He deserves our absolute support and he deserves whatever good things come his way!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7066 on: March 3, 2024, 06:50:04 pm »
Would love to give him a rest too - like not playing midweek - but more likely he will be on the bench Sunday.

Same goes for some players in the same boat like Gakpo, some are just going to have to play to get the job done across various competitions. It'd be silly just resting everyone in midweek and giving ourselves a job to do at Anfield, it'd be better to win in Prague and then hopefully some more could have a rest ahead of the international break.

Other than the last two weeks fixture congestion hasn't been too bad this season and I can't think of anyone who has massively been overplayed. Bodes well with a strong squad if we can get men back from injuries in the next couple of weeks.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7067 on: March 5, 2024, 10:40:09 am »
Credit where it's due, haven't been a fan of him after his numerous unfortunate injuries but Joe is putting in excellent performances this season in 3 different positions. Hope we can keep him fit.

So were you not a fan because of the injuries he suffered or because he dropped off after them?

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #7068 on: March 5, 2024, 10:48:52 am »
Incredibly important player this season.

Pretty much doing the utility role in the squad that Milner did in previous years. The injuries in the squad this season has meant Gomez has pretty much been a regular since the October international break.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7069 on: March 5, 2024, 08:55:44 pm »
Gomez has done incredibly wherever he has played this season -- not sure where we'd be without him.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #7070 on: March 7, 2024, 08:20:16 pm »
BBC article insinuating Gomez had a knock and that's why he was hooked at half time today. I thought Klopp just saving his legs for City. Anyone read anything different?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7071 on: March 7, 2024, 08:20:57 pm »
BBC article insinuating Gomez had a knock and that's why he was hooked at half time today. I thought Klopp just saving his legs for City. Anyone read anything different?

The only thing that matters is what Klopp says and he said it was a planned sub.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7072 on: March 7, 2024, 08:21:22 pm »
BBC is fake news
Football is a lie

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #7073 on: March 7, 2024, 08:21:56 pm »
The only thing that matters is what Klopp says and he said it was a planned sub.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. He's going to be vital.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7074 on: March 7, 2024, 08:22:22 pm »
Kloppo said he's fine. Rotation.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #7075 on: March 8, 2024, 12:53:44 am »
Time to open his account, I reckon...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7076 on: March 8, 2024, 12:59:24 am »
Gomez has done incredibly wherever he has played this season -- not sure where we'd be without him.
Irony is the main players have to be injured for him to perform.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #7077 on: March 8, 2024, 01:15:52 am »
Time to open his account, I reckon...
Imagine he scores and we win 1-0.  ;D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7078 on: March 8, 2024, 01:18:44 am »

Like an English batsman's innings, it's just an insignificant knock.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #7079 on: March 8, 2024, 01:33:13 am »
When we win the league with 3 games to spare hes moving straight up to striker and the teams entire purpose will be to feed him a goal.

its just the right thing to do   ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.