Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 779044 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Joseph Dave Gomez - Liverpools number 12
« Reply #240 on: August 9, 2015, 07:12:38 pm »
18 years old. Debut. Away at a place we lost to 6-1.

Yeah. Well done lad
Did a very good job handling Walters. A tough player to play against.

Did really well for his age, for the venue and for his debut in the PL in general. Harsh yellow, both players were holding each other.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: August 9, 2015, 07:12:42 pm »
Thought he did a great job, Jon Walters is a gnarly horrible bastard and Gomez gave him nothing really.

Haven't watched any of pre-season but colour me impressed.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: August 9, 2015, 07:12:57 pm »
Was very impressed with him. Looks strong and brave, though he definitely looks like a CB or FB playing on the wrong side. We quite obviously did most of our attacking down the right. In the end though he got the assist. A good start.

Flanagan played on the left and we nearly won the league.

Moreno will get his chance.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #243 on: August 9, 2015, 07:13:10 pm »

Never  heard of this lad before we signed him and he looks like a future diamond
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #244 on: August 9, 2015, 07:19:06 pm »
I remember when Flanagan played his first (?) game in the team in the 13/14 season at Arsenal on the left and had a mare. Myself and many others doubted his future at the club. But from then on he was superb.

Gomez wasn't peerless but he wasn't awful either. Pretty decent actually. I would just like him to come forward more so we can have more width to our attacks.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 9, 2015, 07:19:31 pm »
Thought he did really well. Lots of confidence, played out from the back even under pressure, gave Walters nothing.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: August 9, 2015, 07:19:49 pm »
He did well today. Jonathan Walters wouldn't rank very high on a list of players you'd like to come up against on debut. Gomez had some lapses but for the most part matched Walters for strength and speed, took up good positions when we had possession and retained his composure throughout.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #247 on: August 9, 2015, 07:20:13 pm »
All in all he was good, but he didn't have it easy out there. But I'm glad he didn't, because it's all about him learning. He didn't look out of place and that's the best compliment you can give. He's got a very bright future.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 9, 2015, 07:21:50 pm »
He was never going to have an easy game against that cock who turns up only when we play them.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: August 9, 2015, 07:22:25 pm »
Decent debut.. Thrown straight in at the deep end and showed he can swim with the big boys..

Showed a few nerves out there, but that's to be expected..
Made up for the lad..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: August 9, 2015, 07:25:08 pm »
Putting it another way, would anyone rather have had Moreno up against Walters today?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #251 on: August 9, 2015, 07:30:32 pm »
Putting it another way, would anyone rather have had Moreno up against Walters today?
If Moreno could have handled Lukaku directly he`d cope with Walters as well. Everybody looked better defensively today, we obviously worked on it more than we usually do, I imagine Moreno would have looked good today also.

BTW- Moreno is a must for Bournemouth - we`re gonna need as much overlapping as we can on both flanks while Gomez can continue to play away from home.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2015, 07:32:11 pm by SerbianScouser »

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #252 on: August 9, 2015, 07:35:56 pm »
All things considered I thought that he had a very good PL debut, one that will stand him in good stead going forward.  I'm a big fan already, he's got all of the raw fundamentals he needs to succeed at this level and he didn't look phased or out of his depth against a dificult, physical oppontent in Jon Walters. .  He'll go from strength to strength here, its his position to lose now.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: August 9, 2015, 07:37:39 pm »
Tough, physical player is Walters and Gomez never shied away.  Well done.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: August 9, 2015, 07:41:05 pm »
Brute of a boy.

He also carries the ball very nicely, and calmly out of defense.

He does look a gem - (very) early days and all that, but still...

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #255 on: August 9, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »
this kid is the real deal

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: August 9, 2015, 07:41:32 pm »
Yes what's wrong with Moreno?
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: August 9, 2015, 07:42:11 pm »
Yes what's wrong with Moreno?

I think it's the aerial challenge, which is one of Moreno's weaknesses.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #258 on: August 9, 2015, 07:43:00 pm »
Didn't look fantastic aerially but tbf it is Stoke.

Otherwise I thought he was sound. Great debut from a kid.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #259 on: August 9, 2015, 07:46:20 pm »
Massive learning curve that game, few nervous moments but he'll learn from them. Only 18! What a talent.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #260 on: August 9, 2015, 07:48:56 pm »
"Cool Joe" Gomez.

No nerves on the kid at all.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #261 on: August 9, 2015, 07:50:08 pm »
If we can deal with speedsters as well as he dealt with a physical bully today we`ll be on to something.

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #262 on: August 9, 2015, 07:55:25 pm »
Well done Joe...excellent today and with the nerves gone should be a player

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: August 9, 2015, 08:00:26 pm »
Maybe not for defending against Walters, but Moreno gives us something in attack. I don't think we've seen the best of Moreno yet. Gomez did very well though, so no complaints.

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: August 9, 2015, 08:08:04 pm »
Did very well up against a well hardened and calloused engorged cock of the highest order.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #265 on: August 9, 2015, 08:08:43 pm »

Gomez had a few shaky moments, the sort that Moreno would have been called out for, but there's a lot of good will behind Gomez right now so most will look beyond it. Which isn't a bad thing.

But I don't think this was necessarily a performance you can point to and say Moreno won't be getting that LB spot back any time soon. Gomez was solid enough other than 2 or 3 times he was responsible for Stoke getting in, but he offered nothing in an offensive sense (not a slight on him, he's a right footed CB playing on the left, its to be expected).

Wouldn't feel at all bothered if Moreno came back in for Bournemouth, we can afford to ceed some of that solidity for a little more verve at home to a newly promoted side.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: August 9, 2015, 08:08:50 pm »
Think we should alternate between Gomez and Moreno depending on opposition. They will both get plenty of games this year. That's for sure
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: August 9, 2015, 08:11:30 pm »
Gomez had a few shaky moments, the sort that Moreno would have been called out for, but there's a lot of good will behind Gomez right now so most will look beyond it. Which isn't a bad thing.

But I don't think this was necessarily a performance you can point to and say Moreno won't be getting that LB spot back any time soon. Gomez was solid enough other than 2 or 3 times he was responsible for Stoke getting in, but he offered nothing in an offensive sense (not a slight on him, he's a right footed CB playing on the left, its to be expected).

Wouldn't feel at all bothered if Moreno came back in for Bournemouth, we can afford to ceed some of that solidity for a little more verve at home to a newly promoted side.
Would agree with that. If Rodgers goes back to wing backs for a sustained period this year then today offered no evidence that Gomez could work in that system.

And his booking was senseless

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: August 9, 2015, 08:15:40 pm »
Felt like he was targeted today - that crossfield diagonal ball to Walters, which he was caught under a few times. He delt with most it well though.

On the ball, composed as he has been in pre-season. Love it when he carries the ball out of defence and wonders into the middle. Only Can has looked comfortable doing it since Agger left.

Early days but given his composure, versatility and being cheap as chips, he's already looking like a top signing.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: August 9, 2015, 08:19:12 pm »
He deserves a great deal of credit for that performance. It's maybe not quite Rob Jones vs Giggs but playing against Stoke away and dealing with Walters is a real test of character and he held firm.

Having said that though I hope Moreno is allowed to start with a clean slate this season. That goal vs Spurs feels a lifetime ago but I hope he gets the chance in a less dysfuntional team to show that it wasn't just a one off.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: August 9, 2015, 08:26:22 pm »
I think it's the aerial challenge, which is one of Moreno's weaknesses.

I thought the lad done really well today. However, he seriously needs to learn to judge the flight of a ball. A couple of times today he just completely got underneath the flight and allowed Walters to take the ball with him then completely out of position. I think it happened about 3 times in a couple of minutes, and Stoke tried to repeat it more and more. Fortunately they're shite and never had the quality to take advantage of it.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: August 9, 2015, 08:29:30 pm »
he's tough fucker... although he's 18yr old he seem very professional and he's not impressed with anything
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #272 on: August 9, 2015, 08:36:37 pm »
Yes, he had a couple of shakey moments as did some other more senior defenders, but that run right through the middle of the park was as smooth as butter and he still looks a massive talent to me.
*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #273 on: August 9, 2015, 08:37:21 pm »
Played well but always looked like a centre back trying to play full back when on the ball, phenomenal athlete though.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #274 on: August 9, 2015, 08:53:16 pm »
Great debut and proved he's good enough at this level. I'd play Moreno against Bournemouth for his greater attacking threat but that's the beauty of a squad, horses for courses.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: August 9, 2015, 08:53:19 pm »
All i say is Moreno is the better LB in my eyes and hope just because Gomez did great when you put everything into perspective we don't have repeat of Can this season....... Hope he plays CB when europa league starts.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: August 9, 2015, 08:55:06 pm »
Very impressive.  Walters is a handful, Gomez did very well against him.

@LFC4LIFENET

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 9, 2015, 09:36:36 pm »
Played well but always looked like a centre back trying to play full back when on the ball, phenomenal athlete though.

I loved that one moment early in the game where he skipped his way into central midfield with the ball, then sort of pulled up and said "uh oh, what the hell am I doing?"

I thought he had a "good enough" sort of performance, which under that sort of pressure and with Stoke targeting him all game really counts for a lot.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #278 on: August 9, 2015, 09:41:08 pm »
Think we have a real player here.  Very impressed with the lad and hope he gets a decent run to prove himself.

Stoke away is a c*nt of a game to make your debut but the lad took it in his stride.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: August 9, 2015, 09:41:56 pm »

I wouldn't.

Walters is very physical and I think Gomez was the right choice for this match.
@LFC4LIFENET