Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 220623 times)

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #320 on: April 29, 2018, 07:58:48 am »
Not sure Rangers is the right fit for Stevie. Time will tell I suppose.

If it does work out well for him, I'd like him to come back to England at some point and take a job at a premier league side, or a good up and coming championship side. Let's see what he's made of then. Because what I don't want is for people clambering for him to be our next manager just because he's won a few titles up in Scotland.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: April 29, 2018, 08:51:23 am »
Its odd isn't it? His idol made his name at Ranagers as well, you'd think he wouldn't mind them.

Kenny Dalglish - Childhood Supporter
Graeme Souness - Legendary Manager
Stevie Gerrard - Potential Manager
Charlie Adam - Eh..........?!

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #322 on: April 29, 2018, 08:56:13 am »
Kenny Dalglish - Childhood Supporter
Graeme Souness - Legendary Manager
Stevie Gerrard - Potential Manager
Charlie Adam - Spongebob Squarepants lookalike
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: April 29, 2018, 09:00:28 am »
I think he would have benefitted more from staying here, working closely with, and learning from Klopp.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: April 29, 2018, 09:01:28 am »

;D

He used to have a partner in crime at Rangers called Bob Malcom, and some used to know him as Fatbob Squarepass!  ;D

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2018, 09:05:41 am »
I think he would have benefitted more from staying here, working closely with, and learning from Klopp.

Me too.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2018, 09:09:29 am »

He isn't working that closely with Klopp though is he, as isn't he at the Academy and Klopp at Melwood?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2018, 09:21:46 am »
He isn't working that closely with Klopp though is he, as isn't he at the Academy and Klopp at Melwood?

That's true but I think the connection between the academy and manager is pretty close from what I can glean from stuff you read/hear.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Ozzie Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #328 on: April 29, 2018, 10:15:45 am »
Brilliant opportunity for Stevie, also for some of our young guns, Grugic, Wilson, so on, great for LFC IMHO
I love being part of this big Red family, we are Liverpool Football club, we will win

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: April 29, 2018, 10:24:01 am »
Brilliant opportunity for Stevie, also for some of our young guns, Grugic, Wilson, so on, great for LFC IMHO

I very much doubt we will allow our players to go to Scotland on loan.

Every time a ex Liverpool player gets a managers job we automatically feel we can form a link with that club and it rarely happens.

The standard in Scotland is lower div 1/div 2 level.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #330 on: April 29, 2018, 10:30:46 am »
Fordy mate, please go and troll in another thread.

There's only one Rangers fan here and he's already made it clear he's not biting. Its a wasted trip.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: April 29, 2018, 10:40:47 am »
Fordy mate, please go and troll in another thread.

There's only one Rangers fan here and he's already made it clear he's not biting. Its a wasted trip.

Not trolling mate.

Look at the squad and where they brought the players from.

I believe that the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Luton beat Rangers and in div 1/2 in where they're at. Certainly not Championship or PL level.

Offline Ozzie Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2018, 11:17:02 am »
So where does that put Celtic??? Rangers massive club, huge support, great experience, worst case at least it will get our young players in real, all be at at a lower league level as well as real Europa games - win win in my opinion
I love being part of this big Red family, we are Liverpool Football club, we will win

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:27 am »
Not sure Rangers is the right fit for Stevie. Time will tell I suppose.

I was surprised at the link at first, but thinking about it there's a lot of potential benefits for Stevie and the standard of football is almost irrelevant. That would come with the following job in an ideal world. It's certainly a step up from our U18's.

He'd get to experience building his own team, playing in front of 50000 people with ambitions of winning the league, European campaigns, trying to overhaul richer and more recently successful local rivals, dealing with the press and the expectations that come with being manager of one of the two biggest clubs in the country. If his ultimate job is what we think it is then that's not a bad proving ground. Whether he's ready or not is another matter but I can see why he'd find the job attractive.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2018, 11:25:03 am »
Not trolling mate.

Look at the squad and where they brought the players from.

I believe that the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Luton beat Rangers and in div 1/2 in where they're at. Certainly not Championship or PL level.

Aye and some people believe they can talk to animals Fordy

The level of the teams in Scotland is irrelevant anyway. If we'd loan players to Rangers they'd be getting more exposure, probably playing in Europe and playing in bigger games than in the Championship/League One. If it was under Stevie and Gary Mac they'd also be playing under a coach who we'd trust.

Not that I think it'll happen, cos I still don't. But yeah, shush. He's not biting, move on.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2018, 11:39:09 am »
One or 2 things need to be ironed out next week. Rangers  hoping deal can be done end of next week.

So, Stevie thinking long and hard about this. He will need at least 25 million budget to even make them competitive.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2018, 11:52:47 am »
There's no right or wrong way of getting into management. Although there's probably far more examples of people building up slowly than the likes of Guardiola or Zidane. The premier league contains 3 managers who didn't take that long to get into management and went in without a long stint of coaching - Dyche, Howe and Pochetinno. Klopp went straight into managing Mainz. The spotlight and expectation at Rangers will be far different mind.

I do wonder why clubs decide to go for totally inexperienced managers (not even unproven) but so be it. Football is a fickle world and Stevie probably sees this as an opportunity that might not present itself otherwise for next season and wants to go for it. Even if he doesn't do well the experience can only be a good thing and hopefully he won't completely bomb his reputation before his managerial career begins. Good luck to him
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #337 on: April 29, 2018, 12:23:08 pm »
I just hope Rangers will have a lot of patience with Stevie, he'll certainly have many players at a Championship level who'd be willing to go and play for him if the money's even remotely right. Having Gary Mac with him will certainly help him a lot, managerial experience himself, is Scottish, and all that.

So, I'm just hoping Rangers see this as a multi-year thing and won't throw the toys in the pram if he's in Aberdeen's territory next season also...

Good luck Stevie, will have to follow Rangers closely while he's there!
Linudden.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #338 on: April 29, 2018, 12:28:38 pm »
Chances are he will get sacked within 18 months.

I hope he does well though, but top players seldom make good managers, coaching youth teams is a better use of their talents I always reckon.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2018, 12:46:22 pm »
Patience is a virtue. Impatience will end in tears. Too soon to make this move. He can do with a couple more years at Liverpool. There’s much to learn

I do for whatever the reason see a silver lining ... for Liverpool. And now that he is not attached to the club, he can freely be a pundit without being conflicted
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2018, 12:50:29 pm »
Watching the old firm now. Rangers look a bit shit, like.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2018, 12:57:21 pm »
Gerrard should go nowhere near Ibrox.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2018, 12:57:47 pm »
I'd love for him to succeed in first his senior job, but I can't see anything other than Gerrard going to Rangers ending badly.

It's the definition of a thankless task, they are nowhere near Celtic and it's going to take more time and money to rectify that than any manager there is likely to be afforded.

Offline gmcw9

• Main Stander
  • @g_mc9
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2018, 01:01:24 pm »
Massive job for Stevie to take on. Problems at Rangers from the boardroom down to the playing staff. The club has been badly run at boardroom level years before administration a few years ago and have learned no lessons since. We are so far behind Celtic its scary.
25-05-05

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2018, 01:03:39 pm »
I'd love for him to succeed in first his senior job, but I can't see anything other than Gerrard going to Rangers ending badly.

It's the definition of a thankless task, they are nowhere near Celtic and it's going to take more time and money to rectify that than any manager there is likely to be afforded.

Exactly. If he waits a couple of years, learns more about the coaching side and the man-management side, and maybe gets a bad season at the youth level if some of the Academy players move up to the first team (or away on loan), he'd be far better served than what he's doing now. Not because he can't do management, but because he's had it easy so far (good academy team, at his club where he's a legend, so the job was practically handed to him).

Although if this ends in tears, then how he copes with it will also stand him in good stead later on for future jobs, if he reacts the right way.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2018, 01:11:11 pm »
I don’t think he should take it, but he probably couldn’t do much worse judging by what I’m seeing in their derby right now.

Shambles.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #346 on: April 29, 2018, 01:30:05 pm »
Exactly. If he waits a couple of years, learns more about the coaching side and the man-management side, and maybe gets a bad season at the youth level if some of the Academy players move up to the first team (or away on loan), he'd be far better served than what he's doing now. Not because he can't do management, but because he's had it easy so far (good academy team, at his club where he's a legend, so the job was practically handed to him).

Although if this ends in tears, then how he copes with it will also stand him in good stead later on for future jobs, if he reacts the right way.

Actually think he'd be better off at a club like MK Dons if he is looking to move into a senior role; they're looking for a new manager, have just been relegated to League 2 and have previously expressed an interest in appointing him.

The likes of Kevin Nolan and Harry Kewell have started their managerial careers at that level and are doing decent jobs.  I think Kewell himself was an academy coach/manager at a PL club (Watford?) and is now cutting his teeth in a senior role at that level.

The job as Rangers has got disaster written all over from both sides - appointing a young, untested manager is not the route that they should be going down if they want to compete with Celtic and Rodgers. 

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: April 29, 2018, 01:41:03 pm »
I was surprised at the link at first, but thinking about it there's a lot of potential benefits for Stevie and the standard of football is almost irrelevant. That would come with the following job in an ideal world. It's certainly a step up from our U18's.

He'd get to experience building his own team, playing in front of 50000 people with ambitions of winning the league, European campaigns, trying to overhaul richer and more recently successful local rivals, dealing with the press and the expectations that come with being manager of one of the two biggest clubs in the country. If his ultimate job is what we think it is then that's not a bad proving ground. Whether he's ready or not is another matter but I can see why he'd find the job attractive.

This isn't the 1990's mate. Ibrox is barely ever close to capacity these days and they'll have to spend a shit load of money to get anywhere near to challenging Celtic.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: April 29, 2018, 01:42:57 pm »
Actually think he'd be better off at a club like MK Dons if he is looking to move into a senior role; they're looking for a new manager, have just been relegated to League 2 and have previously expressed an interest in appointing him.

The likes of Kevin Nolan and Harry Kewell have started their managerial careers at that level and are doing decent jobs.  I think Kewell himself was an academy coach/manager at a PL club (Watford?) and is now cutting his teeth in a senior role at that level.

The job as Rangers has got disaster written all over from both sides - appointing a young, untested manager is not the route that they should be going down if they want to compete with Celtic and Rodgers.

Yep, this is the way to go. You learn more as a coach in adversity (because you have to throw all your high-falutin' ideas out, because they're not working ;D, and get back to basics) then you do in success. So in a way, this could be good for Gerrard long-term :D

But I don't think his reasoning is anything other than the typical English ex-player impatience to be a manager (and not a coach, or a physio, or a fitness specialist, etc).

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: April 29, 2018, 01:44:48 pm »
PoP you'd be singing from another sheet if Stevie called you up and asked you to bring your shorts up to Glasgow with him.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #350 on: April 29, 2018, 01:46:03 pm »
The hubris of English ex-pros to not serve any decent apprenticeship, and to go into "big" jobs ASAP.

I think this will be a bad move for him if he takes it. There was nothing wrong with sitting at Liverpool, learning the trade with the kids, learning how to ACTUALLY coach that way, and then being in a good position to move up to the first team staff, and then eventually the manager's seat, where he'd have experience, knowledge, and real coaching ability to do the job.

Instead, if this is true, he gets impatient, and wants to strike out on his own and be "the man".

And with a bloated, mutinous and largely untalented squad, in a league dominated by one club that has two season's worth of Champions League money to play with.

If he does the job and wins the SPFL, he'll be a legend. But the odds are that Celtic will carry on, as will Aberdeen, and Hibs are getting stronger, so if he fails in a 3-way battle for 2nd place, he'll never lose the stain of it - just like Neville is now stained with his Valencia failure.

He should reconsider, and stay at Liverpool and learn the trade properly. Otherwise, he's on a hiding to nothing.

Great post

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: April 29, 2018, 01:47:47 pm »
PoP you'd be singing from another sheet if Stevie called you up and asked you to bring your shorts up to Glasgow with him.

Nah, it's too bleedin' cold ;D

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2018, 01:49:03 pm »
Somewhere like Boro or a club of that stature or a team that has gone down to the championship  recently would have been perfect.

He would have a good nucleus of a squad and a big chance of going up or battling for the play off which would have been a better option.

Going up there  to Rangers who have no money and a trigger happy chairman and with Celtic  who are just to good isn't a wise choice.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2018, 01:53:15 pm »
The Rangers job seems like the worst job anyone can possibly take. An absolutely shocking team, in a league with the most dominant 1st place team in football, with no money to spend, and a truly toxic level of expectations from the fans to win everything despite all the facts.

Gerrard has had no time to learn the managing trade, even if he did this is the worst possible job to take, but with no experience it could become really messy. It may end up like a Neville situation where he fails and is sacked in months, which may taint him enough for life to keep him out of managment.

This seems like an awful choice to be honest

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2018, 02:01:59 pm »
I have no desire to see Gerrard manage us, unless he shows he's a great trophy-winning manager elsewhere, or unless he sits on the backroom staff and works out what the right way and the wrong way to do things is :D

Otherwise, he should never be near the Liverpool job, because it will be an appointment from emotion, not talent.

Another great post

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2018, 02:03:15 pm »
Shouldn't touch the rangers job with a shitty stick.

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2018, 02:08:15 pm »
Why are people talking about "if he gets money to spend" - he won't. Rangers are broke. Like flat out, stone cold broke. They're more likely to go into administration again than they are to spend the sums being bandied about in here, or the sums that would be required to challenge Celtic. Don't be fooled by the 13 point difference - the gap between these sides on and off the pitch is far, far greater than that.

It's a weird move for Stevie to be honest - the job is a hiding to nothing and the quality of football up here is absolutely dire pretty much across the board.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:53 pm »
This isn't the 1990's mate. Ibrox is barely ever close to capacity these days and they'll have to spend a shit load of money to get anywhere near to challenging Celtic.

It's also not 2013-15 either. Bar those two seasons they've been 44k+ since 93/94. Their average home league attendance this season is over 49k, it's been going up every year the last three years, so I don't think I'm wrong. I totally agree on the second point though.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Steve O

• Anny Roader
« Reply #358 on: April 29, 2018, 02:30:37 pm »
Just seen a blacked out Range Rover do a u-turn on the M6

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #359 on: April 29, 2018, 02:47:45 pm »
Well, at least Mike Ashley’s sold his shares last year, and a fan organization, Club 1872, owns 10.71% of the shares.  So they have that going for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ownership_of_Rangers_F.C.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi