Author Topic: Everton 2 vs Liverpool 0 Match Commentary, 17/10/10 k.o 13:30 BST  (Read 24387 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
PRE-MATCH REALITY CHECK

Link:http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=293179&cc=4716

Take a glance at the league table in the matchday programme, jubilation will be undercut by the realisation that Liverpool are in 18th place, with Everton sitting just one place above them. Rarely has there been a Merseyside derby with both clubs at such a low ebb, and there have been 211 of these partisan clashes. Liverpool lead the overall head-to-head record with 82 wins to Everton's 65, but their most crucial victory of recent years came on Friday afternoon.

On the field, both sides have had troubled starts to the season, with the lack of fit and available goal-scorers proving a problem. Louis Saha could be fit for the derby, which would be a major boost given that, between them, Jermaine Beckford and Yakubu have scored one goal in 11 games, and that was against League One side Huddersfield. However, Everton say the game may come too soon for the Frenchman.

Fernando Torres may make his return for Liverpool, but he has looked short of fitness for some time and the constant injury niggles are hindering a return to form. Dirk Kuyt's ankle ligament damage now starves Hodgson of a different option.

While it would be an exaggeration to speak of the derby as a relegation battle, the teams currently sit 17th and 18th in the table with six points from their opening seven games, and there is little question that there is far more than pride at stake.

It is a match Liverpool SIMPLY MUST WIN. For morale sake. To get back in the charge for the title. To move back up into the middle half of the table with a host of teams currently tied on 7-10 points so far this season.

Questions remains!

1) Which liverpool side will turn up for the match? The one that got over run at Birmingham, Old Trafford in the first half, worked over by Sunderland and Blackpool or the side that gave a sterling performance against Arsenal at Anfield?

2) Will the Liverpool midfield be able to contain a vibrant and driven Everton side at Goodison?

3) Will Torres start and if so, will he be the key to a Liverpool victory today?

4) How will the Liverpool defence cope with the aerial threat posed by Cahil and co?

and finally..

5) Will Hodgson get the tactics right today and will his transfer signings finally rise to the challenge and PEFORM?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:12:50 pm by 24/7 »
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Everton vs Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:52:56 pm »
So, latest updates for today afternoon's derby!

Fernando Torres starts for Liverpool in the Merseyside derby clash with Everton at Goodison Park this afternoon!

As expected, the Spaniard has shrugged off the adductor injury he sustained against Blackpool last time out to take his place in Roy Hodgson's starting XI.

Meanwhile, Paul Konchesky returns in defence and Lucas Leiva starts in midfield.

Starting Eleven and Subs!

Liverpool: Reina, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Konchesky, Maxi, Meireles, Lucas, Cole, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Jones, Aurelio, Jovanovic, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Kelly.

So, Kyro will start in the center of the box with Johnson ommited for today's match. Konchesky comes back into the side after injury whilst Lucas finally gets a start after being out of favour for well over four weeks as does Maxi who returns after the Old Trafford debacle.

And is this the confirmed Everton side for today's match?

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 01:02:55 pm »
Today will be CRUCIAL not only for club but manager as we seek to turn a poor start to the season and to move up into mid table.

Some upsetting stats to note:

• Roy Hodgson has not won away from home in his last 21 Premier League matches as a coach with Liverpool and Fulham.
• This is their poorest start to a top-flight campaign since 1953/54 (based on three points for a win).

So you know Roy knows what's at stake for today's match, which incidently will be the most watched match around the world at kick-off!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:06:01 pm »
Dominic King being interviewed before kick of by SKY:

On meeting Henry yesterday:

"Unassuming, humble, courteous, good first impression of Henry. He didn't want to make promises... listened rather than spoke...encouraging first impressions....no transfer budgets discussed....an awful lot of consulting to do (on his part).... (would be) wrong for him to make brash promises. Sensible person."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:06:29 pm »
Good Morning Mad Men,

So Derby day is upon us, and with the week we have had I am quietly optimistic that we will pull out a win here.
I promise it has nothing to do with Poulsen not being in the team. I promise. I could be lying though.

So 25 minutes to go for Roy and the team to turn around the shoddy start.
No more off field excuses , no more threat of administration, no more worry for the guys.

We need a win plain and simple. A draw is not good enough, a loss.......  Disastrous.

Lets twat these bitter blues!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 01:14:42 pm »
Trust it first thing I see when I turn on the tv is Rafa on the sidelines marshaling Inter to a probable win.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 01:19:17 pm »
What you think of Torres starting? I don't know what the doc has said but personally I would have preferred Nando on the bench.

So here we have the Bitter starting XI

EFC Everton XI: Howard, Jagielka, Baines, Heitinga, Distin, Neville, Coleman, Osman, Arteta, Cahill, Yakubu

Apparently Jagielka passed a late fitness test to be included in the starting line up. No Pienaar and fellatio. With YakAttack up front (The best striker in the PL) , how are we going to contend with the best midfield in the PL? Time will tell.

Howard Webb is our ref today. Meh I say

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »
El Toro comments: "Shebby Singh, super malaysian pundit reackons Johnson is a better defender than Carra...."

Errr..right...let's not take in too much about that that pundit from malayssia has to say shall we...he doesn't really have a clue I reackon :P

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Everton 0 vs Liverpool 0 Match Commentary, 17/10/10 k.o 13:30 BST
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »
Chakan, g'day mate!

Always good to see you bright and early on a lovely Sunday afternoon on merseyside.

So, a MUST WIN match for club and manager....and of course, eye's and ear's will also be glued on Rafa's Inter today as well..I can see hand's holding on to the remote in many a home around the world...

This HAS to be the most crucial derby match this decade I reackon..both clubs simply MUST win....and get out of the bottom four today. A draw will do little for morale, and for the chance to getting back amongst the top four...what more the pressure on both managers that will follow with a morale sapping loss..should either club lose.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 01:25:35 pm »
Don't forget to send us your thoughts and comments throughout the match.

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 01:25:50 pm »
Chakan,

With Maxi in the side, will we see Raul in the center of midfield alongside Lucas with Gerrard playing behind Torres...and Cole out on the left....

BIG QUESTIONS! Will Carra and Konchesky get the sort of protection they need at both sides of the back from Maxi and Cole? Will our central defenders be able to cope with the Everton aerial bombardment....and will Cahill have one of those match's where he is not seen for 90% of the match but pops up to score out of the blue with a header?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 01:27:18 pm »
Good Morning Mad Men,

So Derby day is upon us, and with the week we have had I am quietly optimistic that we will pull out a win here.
I promise it has nothing to do with Poulsen not being in the team. I promise. I could be lying though.

So 25 minutes to go for Roy and the team to turn around the shoddy start.
No more off field excuses , no more threat of administration, no more worry for the guys.

We need a win plain and simple. A draw is not good enough, a loss.......  Disastrous.

Lets twat these bitter blues!

Mate, derby sentiments aside, we cannot come away from Everton with anything less than 3 points. A draw will simply not do for either side...

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 01:28:04 pm »
Chakan!

Arbeloa will be watching the match in Spain!

Just saw his twitter!

"aarbeloa17 Alvaro Arbeloa Coca
Merseyside derby today!! What a game!!! All the best for @RyanBabel , @LucasLeiva87 and #LFC!!! Go Reds!!!!
25 minutes ago"

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »
Teams are coming out the tunnel. Lucas looks pumped and ready to go!!

Henry in the stands I think? Was that him?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:31:43 pm by Chakan »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »
Hendry in the stands I think? Was that him?
Colin? ;D :wave

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 01:30:46 pm »
Christian Poulsen is out for family reasons, as much as I don't like the guy my thoughts go out to him. Not sure what the family reason is, but no-one should be happy the lad is out due to that. So my apologies to the lad. Hope whatever the emergency is that it gets sorted soon lad!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 01:30:49 pm »
UPDATE!

Our owners (new) are at the match! Both are in suits with red ties!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »

:lmao my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 01:31:53 pm »

No, Henry, our new owner..:")

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 01:32:05 pm »
RIGHT! HERE WE GO! KICK OFF IN 10 SECONDS!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 01:32:07 pm »
Here we go!! Liverpool kicking off from Right to left

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 01:32:26 pm »
AND WE ARE OFF!!!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 01:32:59 pm »
Yakattack fouls Soto and sets the tone of the match early

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:45 pm »
1899 is last time the teams played each other when we were both bottom of the table.
Although i suspect you only have to go back a couple of years to see when the bitters were there

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:49 pm »
Liverpool kick off...!

A beautiful sunny day....families will be divided..friends united......here we go..........

1st minute..deep ball from Howard...but is cleared by the central defenders.

Liverpool passing the ball from left to right...and looking for space....Everton are pressuring the team..and closing men down fast....

2nd minute: Carra with the abll, and back to Pepe who sends a 30 yard kick comfortably out to Konchesky...Liverpool attack.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 01:37:41 pm »
Corner cleared and liverpool break, arteta welcomes lucas back to the side with a late late challenge. Lucas goes flying and eats some grass on the landing

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 01:38:06 pm »
3rd minute: Carra and Torres have words as Carra delays a through ball and gives the ball away for a liverpool kick....Torres was not looking whilst Carra was trying to release the ball to him....

3.20 seconds: Everton free kick and the defenders hold the line at the edge of the box. Ball is cleared and an everton corner..first of the match!

Konchesky at the near post...man ot man marking here...ball comes in but Carra clears the ball with a header..

Everton pump the ball back in..Pepe with a punch that goes bouncing about in the box as he was challenged for the ball..and finally cleared by Konchesky. Lucas draws a foul from Arteta. Liverpool free kick.

5:00..Lucas tries to break in the everton half but loses possession and Everton counter attack.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 01:38:21 pm »
Coleman looks a great find for the bitters, giving Konchesky all sorts of problems! But konchesky stands tall.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 01:38:45 pm »
1899 is last time the teams played each other when we were both bottom of the table.
Although i suspect you only have to go back a couple of years to see when the bitters were there

Ironic isn't it?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 01:39:28 pm »
Carra really needs to stop hoofing the ball into touch

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 01:39:41 pm »
Hodgson 21 leagues games away without a win.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 01:41:22 pm »
Liverpool playing most of the match thus far in their half...difficult to locate reds in the everton half as everton are closing down Torres, Maxi and Gerrard extremely fast.....possession seems to be the smart move here..looking for an opening or space...

7:00 Everton break...Neville with the ball on the right...but Liverpool win a throw in. Raul is closed down and loses possession of the ball. Everton throw in.

Arteta spreads the ball out wide to the left but it goes out for a throw in for Liverpool..

Carra with a long ball into the Everton box but it's won in the air and ball is cleared back to Howard.

Can Lucas and Raul hold the midfield and keep possession....and dictate the tempo of the match?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 01:42:14 pm »
So 8 minutes gone and all the action happening in the liverpool half. Just can't seem to settle and the bitters have the lion share of possession. Not doing much with it mind. We need to start getting our passing game going. Maxi hasn't had a touch yet. have to say though Raul and Lucas have been very good so far in the middle. Closing down and getting stuck in.

We seem to be adapting the long ball route 1 approach so far. Long balls up to Torres who tries to hold up play as people get forward. Not a good prospect.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »
Free kick to Bitters right on the edge of the box. Dangerous.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 01:43:19 pm »
Arteta over it.....

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 01:43:56 pm »
Freekick hits the wall and is cleared! Let off.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 01:44:15 pm »
9 min: Thus far, it's been scrappy...nothing of worth to tell...both sides looking for space but finding very little as defenders are closing down attackers extremely fast.

10 min: Skerts fouls Yakubu at the edge of the box almost in the center facing Pepe. This looks dangerous. Liverpool wall is up!

11 MINUTE Arteta take the kick but it hits the wall....and the rebound works its way to Jagielka who has a shot from the edge of the box but it goes over...that could have been dangerous!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 01:45:03 pm »
Liverpool players are just not having the chance to turn when with the ball..everton players are on them like a pack of wolves..and silly mistakes by Konchesky and Raul thus far have conceded needless throw in's to everton.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 01:45:20 pm »
Bitters plan so far has been very effected, close down players quickly and force mistakes. They are up for this no doubt. Pressuring the back line and the front line , leading to mistakes so far from Carra and Skittles.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 01:47:07 pm »
Great chance for Distan , turns on the edge of the box makes a little room and fires it just wide of the post. It's going to be a long long day for us if we sit back and let the bitters come at us. This is not the tactic we want to employ right now.