Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé  (Read 3127569 times)

Online KC7

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #78920 on: April 26, 2024, 12:05:24 am »
We don't need an overhaul.

DM has to be top priority. We've been screaming out for one for two years since Fabinho fell off a cliff. The midfield offers very little protection/screening for the backline and leave gaps galore. There's no recovery pace from the 6 so we've gone back to giving away cheap goals where the opposition doesn't have to do a great deal to breach the rearguard. The lack of intensity or athleticism wont be tolerated by Slot so I see him identifying that area straight away.

The back four and goalkeeper are title winning standard. Trent's defensive work has always been questionable, but with a midfield that offers cover and not the lack of it as has been the case over the past two years he won't be as exposed. Mac is definitely good enough and Jones was probably our first choice midfielder at Christmas. Having them play in their proper advanced positions and not having to worry about having to stay further back so as not to expose a slow 6 behind them will see them perform better; think the same applies to Dom who looks knackered having to cover such vast distances. A functioning midfield makes it much easier for the defence and attack by lessening their workload. The midfield has been a shambles for two years. Jurgen did his best to rectify it by cramming all the work on it last summer, but it was too much to do over one window.

In terms of the attacking players think Mo is the only question mark.of whether he will be staying or going as I can't see the others moving. Doak will be back and I can see him developing into a quality player for us.

I think we are much closer than many think. A top DM is a pivotal acquisition. If Slot came in and only bought a world class 6 I'd be satisfied. Beyond that though would still like a more surefire goalscorer, a backup left back to Robbo and a fourth central defender.

Despite what has transpired over the past month Jurgen has left us in a good place.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 12:07:22 am by KC7 »

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78921 on: April 26, 2024, 07:44:48 am »
We don’t need a massive overhaul to begin with. We need a dominant CB and a dominant DM, and more depth in attack. IMO also a new starting LB but that’s going to be an unpopular shout.

I really hope they back the new manager properly and we don’t end yet another transfer window short of what’s required.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78922 on: April 26, 2024, 08:44:40 am »
I think we'll be surprised what a fresh face and fresh ideas will do for the current crop. That's not to diminish Klopp at all, but he's been honest that he's run out of energy - and our tactical approach has become quite stale. Slot isn't anywhere near Klopp, but I think just bringing a new way of playing in will benefit loads of players who currently look a bit fazed.

Then you add a smattering of new players there, maybe blood a couple of youngsters who we didn't expect much from (ala Quansah and Bradley this year) and we'll be fine.

I'd probably be signing four or five, but we'll see if we do that many. I'd probably want a CB, LB, another midfielder and at least one attacker. Apparently Slot loves wingers so I could see us adding a couple there. At least one or two surprise departures as well I reckon.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78923 on: April 26, 2024, 08:59:12 am »
I think we'll be surprised what a fresh face and fresh ideas will do for the current crop. That's not to diminish Klopp at all, but he's been honest that he's run out of energy - and our tactical approach has become quite stale. Slot isn't anywhere near Klopp, but I think just bringing a new way of playing in will benefit loads of players who currently look a bit fazed.

Then you add a smattering of new players there, maybe blood a couple of youngsters who we didn't expect much from (ala Quansah and Bradley this year) and we'll be fine.

I'd probably be signing four or five, but we'll see if we do that many. I'd probably want a CB, LB, another midfielder and at least one attacker. Apparently Slot loves wingers so I could see us adding a couple there. At least one or two surprise departures as well I reckon.

I think 3 of genuine top quality throughout the different positions would be absolutely fine. Another defender, midfielder and attacker would be brilliant. If we could secure 3 of those then i would deal on that now rather than hope for 5 players.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78924 on: April 26, 2024, 09:10:04 am »
I think 3 of genuine top quality throughout the different positions would be absolutely fine. Another defender, midfielder and attacker would be brilliant. If we could secure 3 of those then i would deal on that now rather than hope for 5 players.

Yeah, I reckon I would too although I do think two defenders are required - a CB and a LB. But would be happy with just one midfielder and attacker, depending on who leaves.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78925 on: April 26, 2024, 09:33:53 am »
Yeah, I reckon I would too although I do think two defenders are required - a CB and a LB. But would be happy with just one midfielder and attacker, depending on who leaves.

If Salah leaves then Id want two attackers, minimum. I think Robbo is good for a year but I have always stated that we should be looking to have some genuine, first choice competition. But I think we should be looking for top quality or a clear pathway to top quality and that isnt cheap, which is why 3 should be prioritised.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #78926 on: April 26, 2024, 09:35:49 am »
Anyone from Feyenoord of interest …?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78927 on: April 26, 2024, 09:48:13 am »
With Klopp leaving I think we can almost guarantee that Matip and Thiago won't be offered new deals, and probably Robertson too. And we won't block Salah going to Saudi if a reasonable offer comes in. Priority for the summer will be to get Trent and Konate onto long term deals and a shorter extension for van Djik.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78928 on: April 26, 2024, 09:48:43 am »

I like the look of Geertruida.

Can play CB, RB and DM, he’s been an ever-present for Slot and gotten into the Dutch squad. Think there was a vague link with him last summer, I can remember him being mentioned here.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78929 on: April 26, 2024, 10:29:30 am »
I like the look of Geertruida.

Can play CB, RB and DM, he’s been an ever-present for Slot and gotten into the Dutch squad. Think there was a vague link with him last summer, I can remember him being mentioned here.

I fancied Geertruida last summer, when it looked like we were committing to the inverted RB thing. Looked a good alternative to Timber, who I quite wanted for the same reason. Speaking of Timber, his twin plays for Feyenoord and looks good too. Wieffer (their holding mid) and Hancko (left-footed CB) are the others who probably get most attention.

Big question is obviously whether they'd be good enough for us. With a data-driven approach very much back in place, we won't be swayed by past links to the new manager so I'd be surprised if we did sign anyone from Feyenoord.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78930 on: April 26, 2024, 10:33:45 am »
will we give Diaz a new contract?
Can see Slot liking him similar to Sinisterra who exclled under him

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78931 on: April 26, 2024, 10:51:48 am »
If salah does move and although he’s been an absolute legend I think given his age and what we are likely to receive from Saudi now is the time I still think we can get £150mil given his status to them. Heard this morning that guimaraes is available in June at a clause of £100mil which I still think would be a brilliant buy if we did cash in on salah.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #78932 on: April 26, 2024, 10:58:32 am »

There were strong rumours we (and a few other top prem clubs) wanted Kokcu last summer, he ended up going to Benfica for big money. Sure I read quotes a while back that he’s not been happy there since the move.

Can’t see us going down the Ten Hag route though, we’ll have our list regardless of if they’ve played for Arne or not.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78933 on: April 26, 2024, 11:10:37 am »
If salah does move and although he’s been an absolute legend I think given his age and what we are likely to receive from Saudi now is the time I still think we can get £150mil given his status to them. Heard this morning that guimaraes is available in June at a clause of £100mil which I still think would be a brilliant buy if we did cash in on salah.

No.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78934 on: April 26, 2024, 11:30:33 am »
No.
What KH said. Awful shout.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78935 on: April 26, 2024, 11:34:31 am »
What KH said. Awful shout.

For what bit salah or guimaraes?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78936 on: April 26, 2024, 11:44:12 am »

Guimaraes. Dont get me wrong, he is good, but we dont need that type of midfielder in the side certainly when you factor in how much money he would cost.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78937 on: April 26, 2024, 11:48:07 am »
Guimaraes. Dont get me wrong, he is good, but we dont need that type of midfielder in the side certainly when you factor in how much money he would cost.

He's not worth £100mil, he'd be a slight improvement over our current midfielders, we missed the boat not signing him when Newcastle did. He's also not a 6, we need a younger version of Endo/Fabinho.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78938 on: April 26, 2024, 12:09:55 pm »
Guimaraes. Overrated twat.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78939 on: April 26, 2024, 02:21:05 pm »
He is exactly what we need in midfield, though. Energy, aggression and bite. The question is whether you'd want to overpay a little to fill the gap with proven quality and stop him going to one of our biggest rivals.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78940 on: April 26, 2024, 02:22:11 pm »

He won't be allowed to follow the Ten Egg model of just buying players from his old club.

He'll be presented with an Excel spreadsheet and asked whom he wants.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #78941 on: April 26, 2024, 02:23:10 pm »
We’re not getting near £150m for Mo either. He has a year left on his contract. If he leaves it’ll certainly be for no more than £100m and I’d personally be shocked if it was more than £75m.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #78942 on: April 26, 2024, 02:37:19 pm »
We’re not getting near £150m for Mo either. He has a year left on his contract. If he leaves it’ll certainly be for no more than £100m and I’d personally be shocked if it was more than £75m.

I agree. He'll be 32 in June with a year left on his contract. I'd be surprised if there was an offer that exceeded 75m

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78943 on: April 26, 2024, 02:58:23 pm »

I suspect most clubs would want him to run the contract down, if there were to be a bid, i'm guessing it wouldn't be much more than we got for Mane - unless the Saudi's are the ones showing an interest in which case we may get slightly more. But talk of £100m i think is wildly optimistic.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #78944 on: April 26, 2024, 03:01:04 pm »

I can’t see us getting over £100m, I can see us getting a good fee though. If Salah agrees to terms with them they’ll be desperate to make the move happen, we can hold them to ransom really as he’s the one they’ll want probably above all. I think for most players they’ll look to buy low and pay high, Salah should be a bit different, Edwards and Hughes should be able to use that to their advantage. The question is would they do a deal at £60-£80m to get it done say, in May/June, or do they wait and potentially disrupt pre season/lose out on targets because they want to hold out for a bigger fee?

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #78945 on: April 26, 2024, 03:02:18 pm »

I think the new methods in training will be a big part of this as well. Like you, I'm not trying to diminish Klopp at all - it could just be a freshener to change it up. The reports say that Slot is focused on making the training (and the games) fun for the players, and he limits sprints with an eye on keeping them all fit. Hopefully those kinds of things give us a boost.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78946 on: April 26, 2024, 03:03:33 pm »

I think we'll get £70m to £80m for Mo max.

If Diaz decides he wants to go to PSG will be for £60m ish.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #78947 on: April 26, 2024, 03:04:39 pm »
I suspect most clubs would want him to run the contract down, if there were to be a bid, i'm guessing it wouldn't be much more than we got for Mane - unless the Saudi's are the ones showing an interest in which case we may get slightly more. But talk of £100m i think is wildly optimistic.

I think PSG is an even better option, and should offer us nearly as much as the Saudis. They are losing Mbappe and have been on Mo's trail before. It will appeal to him more than semi-retirement in the desert.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78948 on: April 26, 2024, 03:07:41 pm »
It's a couple years old now, but this article kinda sums up what to expect. Not all of those on the list had only a year left either.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-the-10-most-expensive-transfers-for-players-over-30-ever

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #78949 on: April 26, 2024, 03:38:20 pm »
I would be shocked if we got more than £50m for Mo

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #78950 on: April 26, 2024, 03:46:48 pm »

If it's a Saudi side we'd surely get a bit more than that. If we are to sell and he wants to stay in Europe I can't see anything over 50/60 max.

If we do want to sell/he fancies going and we can get close to 100 and to a Saudi side, got to be one of the greatest transfers ever. A true club legend, and would be sold for good profit at the age of 32, and it wouldn't strengthen rivals? Can't really ask for much more. There's a few great players we have now who I'm viewing these last two home games as send offs for as much as they are for Klopp.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78951 on: April 26, 2024, 04:00:58 pm »
Arne likes his wingers. He's probably told Edwards and Hughes to get him two wingers already. One for each side.  ;D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #78952 on: April 26, 2024, 04:55:23 pm »
PSG would snap our hands for that.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78953 on: April 26, 2024, 04:56:44 pm »
According to Mel Reddy, it was Amorim’s insistence on using three at the back that proved a problem.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #78954 on: April 26, 2024, 04:58:33 pm »
According to Mel Reddy, it was Amorim’s insistence on using three at the back that proved a problem.
Doe that sound credible though? (I know Mel Reddy was in the know before Mane left.) I mean, why did we even look into Amorim since he always played with three at the back?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78955 on: April 26, 2024, 04:58:59 pm »

Also "long term vision" whatever that means

I wonder if him sticking so much to his formation meant he wanted a tonne of players to fit it, and he would have been a stubborn one about everything ( potential problem)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78956 on: April 26, 2024, 05:03:06 pm »
We play a high pressing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 from Under 14's all the way up to the seniors. So we would have to rip uo our decade long blue print.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #78957 on: April 26, 2024, 05:42:09 pm »
Doe that sound credible though? (I know Mel Reddy was in the know before Mane left.) I mean, why did we even look into Amorim since he always played with three at the back?
Seems like he wasn’t first choice because of it, but he wasn’t totally ruled out.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #78958 on: April 26, 2024, 06:54:31 pm »
Seems like he wasn’t first choice because of it, but he wasn’t totally ruled out.

That's how I'd see it

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78959 on: April 26, 2024, 07:06:48 pm »
We play a high pressing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 from Under 14's all the way up to the seniors. So we would have to rip uo our decade long blue print.
This isn't something that is that big of a deal to change

“We are aligned in that the under-21s and under-18s will try to do a fairly good [tactical] impression of the first team – taking on the non-negotiables. From the under-16s down we will prioritise different skills at different age groups, with more technical work,” says Inglethorpe.

The u21s and u18s try to replicate the first team but they can try to do that whoever the manager is. They're at the age where someone will be playing under different managers out loan anyway