Author Topic: Liverpool vs Arsenal - 17:30, Saturday November 20  (Read 13915 times)

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
Liverpool vs Arsenal - 17:30, Saturday November 20
« on: November 14, 2021, 06:10:42 pm »
Liverpool vs Arsenal
Saturday, November 20, 17:30
Anfield, Liverpool

In Sweden, as strange as it may sound, English football is a cultural heritage. On a Saturday afternoon in the 80's when I grew up, my dad would have the TV on and watch the game of that week. The 3 pm kick-off (4 pm for us). He travelled in business quite a lot and he had went to Japan around that time and bought a Nintendo. I was the first kid in the neighbourhood to have a video game and all the other boys would come over and we'd sit on the wall-to-wall carpet and watch in awe that you could move things on the screen. The first game was Soccer and we loved it.

My dad never played though. He would watch the telly and I would watch and the broadcast would have pop-ups when there was a goal scored in the other games. You bet on 13 games in total - Stryktipset - and if you'd get all 13 matches correct it'd be half a fortune. I don't remember much of it but I distinctively remember that he one time had to go away for a minute and he asked me to remember the score if something came up. I was so nervous that I would mess it up, unaware that it'd be in the paper the next day, or read by the host after the match. I did mess it up, there were too many numbers to keep track of, but my dad said it was all right. He didn't mind. We'd have beans on toast and watch the Saturday game. That was England. For me and many other Swedish lads it was an institution.

I don't remember Liverpool. I don't remember Arsenal. Maybe I do remember that the pitch was always half mud. However, I do remember many years later that magical 25 minutes at Anfield in 2014 when we were winning 4-0 going on 8. The absolutely exhilarating feeling that we were like a space rocket taking off and nothing could stop us. Or that win away, just at the start of the 16/17 season, when Mané appears to defy gravity and score a wonder-goal eventually leading to a narrow but emphatic win. We always seem to have exciting games against Arsenal. Always a thrill. Always drama.

Liverpool this season have been doing quite well overall.

Looking back, ever since Klopp came in - emphasized by Virgil and Alisson joining - we seem to have improved continuously. Apart from the middle of last season (when the weight of all the injuries eventually led to a depression which we came out of with renewed vigour and strength testament by an injury time goalkeeper header) we seem to have made one good decision after the other, not the least in the recruitment department. We don't sign a 100 million player to sit on the bench since a former superstar gets mopey if he doesn't start. We don't sign players that may have a bad attitude, or frankly, is not good people. We get team players with the revered ethos of professionalism, who could slot in and join a captain who visits NHS staff who wants to thank him but is direct in explaining that he is not there for them to thank him - he is there to thank them.

Of course, even in the Liverpool that Klopp has rebuilt, it's not always rosy. Last week our captain started it off in brilliant manner but we still ended up with our first loss of the season. The international break didn't help our eager determination to put things right. However, Saturday is getting closer and with it our chance to prove that the result against West Ham was just a blip, much like the other blips during this golden age of Liverpool under Klopp.

Arsenal on the other hand, started the league season with three straight losses. There were mumbles of Arteta not sitting comfortably in his manager chair. Since then they have racked up six wins, two draws, and not a single loss. They currently sit fifth in the table, only two points below us. Arsenal are definitely no mugs, but disregarding their recent form do they look a bit weak in depth? Smith Rowe has proved to be an excellent young player, and Auba (as Klopp refers to him) has finally scored a few goals, but other than those two, no other player has scored more than one goal. Their attacking department - Pépé who cost them 79 million, Martinelli, and Lacazette who they paid 47 million for - currently have one single goal between them. The results don't lie though, Arteta, by all accounts a very tactically sound manager, have them in fifth with a seemingly mediocre squad.

This game at Anfield last season Arsenal took the lead on 24 minutes by Lacazette after a misplaced pass by Robbo. Only two minutes later Liverpool were back on level terms when Mo's shot was parried by Bernd Leno into the path of Mane, who made no mistake from close range. Robbo then made up for his earlier mistake by putting the Reds ahead on 34 minutes, stealing in unmarked at the back post to fire home Trent's deep cross. The points were made safe two minutes from time when substitute Jota marked his Premier League debut with a driven finish from the edge of the area.

I don't remember Anfield in 89. Maybe I was playing a new video game at a mates house instead (incidentally I think I learned about it reading Fever Pitch). Evidently I don't remember many details of being a kid in Sweden in the 80's, but since I today work in game development, eagerly watch football from England, happily eat beans on toast, I surely cherish the memory of pappa today on Father's day in Sweden.

Liverpool in November 2021 is a Liverpool with Alisson, Trent, and Robbo. A Liverpool with a German from the Black Forest. A Liverpool with the Egyptian king, and with a captain eager with a chance to put things right after a far too long internation break (hopefully him travelling home only being precaution). Up the Reds!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool vs Arsenal - 17:30, Saturday November 20
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 07:48:57 pm »
Not quite a must win, but we need to win.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 08:10:20 pm »
Must just win

Think this is the type of game you'd want to roll around after a couple of tough results, on paper anyway. Somehow these are only two points behind us but they haven't beaten anyone decent yet and it's still the worst Arsenal side I've ever seen. They were criminal in that game at the Emirates last season where we won 3-0, and that was in the middle of our own terrible run.

Hopefully Henderson/Mane available after reports of injuries, if we can field them and everyone else comes back fit we should have more than enough, think Thiago will come in from the start as well. Fortunately we don't need a result against Porto in the week so we can focus on getting our league form back on track going forward.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 05:31:34 pm »
Referee: Michael Oliver.
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett.
Fourth official: Andy Madley.
VAR: Chris Kavanagh.
Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »
Arsenal at home is by far my favourite fixture, can’t remember the last time we didn’t hammer them.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 09:44:41 pm »
Arsenal at home is by far my favourite fixture, can’t remember the last time we didn’t hammer them.

Even when we don’t hammer them (or win) they tend to be high scoring draws.

They beat us 2-0 very early in Rodgers’ first season. Since then our home league games against them have been:

5-1
2-2
3-3
3-1
4-0
5-1
3-1
3-1

28 goals for in our last 8 home leagues. Plus that mad 5-5!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 09:47:18 pm »
Be interesting to see who is available as potentially three players out (Mane, Hendo and Robbo) on top of other injuries.

Just win please Reds.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 09:49:09 pm »
Are we actually going to have any players available

>:(
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 09:50:11 pm »
Let's hope we have 11 decent players to start this game. International football fucking us again.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 12:07:54 am »
Plus that mad 5-5!

I was there.

19 goals on the night... :lmao
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 06:28:28 am »
Great, can do with an easy, high scoring home win

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 09:23:56 am »
Have we still got 11 fit players to put a team out?
Not as confident playing arsenal as I would’ve been a few weeks ago. Their upturn in form and our injuries seem to have levelled the game up a bit.
Should be a cracking game still tho.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 10:43:02 am »

I think City and Chelsea will drop points but not too many. And our AFCON January doesn't look so sweet atm.

So yes, I think we need to win this one.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 11:08:06 am »
I know usually we batter these....

But with our recent injuries and Arsenal seemingly growing in confidence this could be different

I dont think it will be however.
imo we will win comfortably with whoever we put out on the pitch and we need to with some recent frustrating results

They will be scared shitless of Salah and overcompensate...we will pick them apart
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2021, 11:27:59 am »
Think we need a comfortable win and clean sheet. Clean sheet being very important. Honestly got no idea what Arsenal are like as I have not watched them at all this season. Hopefully we do the business.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 11:29:02 am »
We're separated from them by 2 points.... but 20 goals (in gd terms) and about a goal and a half per 90 in xg terms ... wild

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 11:29:46 am »
Think we need a comfortable win and clean sheet.

Yes. This.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 11:45:57 am »
With our current known/potential injuries:

Alisson
Trent
Van Dijk
Konate
Tsimikas
Fabinho
Thiago
Ox
Salah
Michael Edwards
Jota

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 02:58:48 pm »
Thiago will run this like he did at the Emirates. Him and Fab = wins. Though Fab has to get through tonight first! Would this be only the second time Hendo, Fab and Thiago have played together if it happens?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 03:11:07 pm »
Thiago will run this like he did at the Emirates. Him and Fab = wins. Though Fab has to get through tonight first! Would this be only the second time Hendo, Fab and Thiago have played together if it happens?

Big if. ;D

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2021, 04:06:40 pm »
have they got any injuries?
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2021, 04:09:57 pm »
With our current known/potential injuries:

Alisson
Trent
Van Dijk
Konate
Tsimikas
Fabinho
Thiago
Ox
Salah
Michael Edwards
Jota

Arrrggghhhhhhh - be careful! For a second I thought you were posting a list of injured players!

(The Michael Edwards at striker tipped me off)

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 04:53:09 pm »

Partey is doubtful I think.

Especially if we lose. Ba dum tshhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2021, 11:17:18 am »

Xhaka out, Partey doubtful, Aubameyang missed Gabon's game vs Egypt so not sure if that was just rest or injury related.

Not sure what team we will play, last game it was like this

Ramsdale
Tomiyasu White Gabriel Tavares
Lokonga Maitland-Niles
Saka Lacazette Smith-Rowe
Aubameyang

Tierney could come in, Partey could come in. Me personally, I'd line up more 433 like this, although I doubt Arteta will.

Ramsdale
Tomiyasu White Gabriel Tierney
Maitland-Niles Partey Lokonga
Saka Aubameyang Smith-Rowe

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2021, 11:45:07 am »
Thanks for an enjoyable OP Telekon. I think we generally send a shudder through Arsenal teams when they remember embarrassing amounts of goals going past them. Our current goal difference is more pleasing on the eye than how close behind us they are in the table. This time though, I will take edging it by one goal, based on us having another unique midfield. Would be a great game for Oxlade Chamberlain to rise to the occasion.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2021, 11:48:56 am »
They seem to be in a bit of form at the moment which hopefully means they come out and try to play - perfect for us.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2021, 02:40:59 pm »

Thanks for the OP. Always good to hear a different perspective especially from another country. Those of us in the UK had to make do with Ceefax on a Saturday afternoon and the painful wait for the page to change.

Absolute must win game. No excuses, no moaning about refs or VAR, no equivocation. This needs to be the start of a run where we pile pressure on the FFP cheats. There isn’t a game that we shouldn’t expect to win until we go to Chelsea in January, although it’s likely we may have to scrap hard to win some of them. We’ve earned the right to rotate in our remaining CL games so we should be able to go full throttle in the league.

I’m quite sure Jurgen has spent the international break working on making us more solid through the middle and I have every confidence Arsenal will get a reality check from us.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2021, 02:55:30 pm »
That was a proper good OP, thanks a lot Telekon. My favourite kind: part personal and part informative about something other than the game - in this case the Swedish tradition of watching English football. Did you ever get all 13 scores right and win a half a fortune?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 02:58:20 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2021, 02:56:58 pm »
Partey is doubtful I think.

Especially if we lose. Ba dum tshhhhhhhhhhhh
;D
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2021, 03:03:02 pm »

if they win, we drop below them to 5th so I'd call it a must win.

and we've had our quota of draws already.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 03:16:00 pm »
This fixture's been good for us in recent years,so more of the same please.  :)

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 07:54:32 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Telekon, was at the 2014 match when Skyrtl scored twice. I watched a couple of their recent wins on the box and they look like a young lively squad who do well when it is going their way. Injuries or not we need a strong start and I see a comfortable win for us. If the returnees to training are all back we should be able to go strong in the upcoming league matches and rotate midweek.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 08:20:39 pm »
Nice op Telekon.

I remember first having a go on a Nintendo when a Japanese lad moved over when we was 2nd year juniors. super Mario in 8 bit was mind blowing, with joy pads!!!, I was used to an acorn electron. Playing that and watching Robocop and lost boys. Happy times.

Come on reds!! Thiago, ox and Fabinho? Origi maybe? Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:24:21 pm by red1977 »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 10:42:24 pm »
I saw us beat Arsenal in 87/88, about the 5th game I ever went to and one that featured not one, but two superb goals. The Aldridge tap in, after McMahon had bust a gut to keep the ball in play, and then a classic Beardsley solo goal.

https://youtu.be/dDfPnkB7HrY

Thankfully didn’t go the following season but did go in 89/90 when we got an element of revenge and Barnes curled in a beauty of a free kick.

https://youtu.be/6TSFeyqgd5g

Saw a good win early ish in the Houllier era as well when Robbie smashed one in and did the baby celebration.

Might have to go searching for them on YouTube now!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:49:46 pm by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2021, 11:53:16 pm »
Thanks Telekon.

As you said we’ve had a lot of high scoring games against them.
We do need to bounce back after being beaten by West Ham.

Normally I’d say we’ll easily beat them but recently our results have been all over the place. We need to grab hold of this game and win.
#JFT97

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2021, 01:04:10 am »
Thanks for an enjoyable OP Telekon. I think we generally send a shudder through Arsenal teams when they remember embarrassing amounts of goals going past them. Our current goal difference is more pleasing on the eye than how close behind us they are in the table. This time though, I will take edging it by one goal, based on us having another unique midfield. Would be a great game for Oxlade Chamberlain to rise to the occasion.
Thanks for the OP. Always good to hear a different perspective especially from another country. Those of us in the UK had to make do with Ceefax on a Saturday afternoon and the painful wait for the page to change.
That was a proper good OP, thanks a lot Telekon. My favourite kind: part personal and part informative about something other than the game - in this case the Swedish tradition of watching English football. Did you ever get all 13 scores right and win a half a fortune?
Nice op Telekon.

I remember first having a go on a Nintendo when a Japanese lad moved over when we was 2nd year juniors. super Mario in 8 bit was mind blowing, with joy pads!!!, I was used to an acorn electron. Playing that and watching Robocop and lost boys. Happy times.

Come on reds!! Thiago, ox and Fabinho? Origi maybe? Looking forward to it.
Thanks Telekon.

As you said we’ve had a lot of high scoring games against them.
We do need to bounce back after being beaten by West Ham.

Normally I’d say we’ll easily beat them but recently our results have been all over the place. We need to grab hold of this game and win.

Cheers lads! Never got all the 13 games. Not a betting man but I still do it a couple of times a season for the nostalgia. I always seem to get 8 correct.  ;D

A few years ago a mate of mine had 12 games correct with only minutes to go. In the 13th and deciding game Charlie Adam got a penalty for Stoke. If he scores the penalty my mate wins around 50 000 €. Charlie Adam misses. I don't know how he made it through that. At least he didn't know there was a penalty at the time.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2021, 02:04:10 am »
Excellent opening post, cheers mate.

Season so far has been pretty good, but at the same time pretty frustrating, as we have dropped a few too many sloppy points. We have to deal with a few injuries but I’m betting that our mental strength will come to the fore in this one, and the boys will put in a very good performance.

Arsenal are starting to play better, but I think we are a good level above them, and will show it on Saturday.

3-1 to the mighty reds. Salah, Jota, and Virg with a header.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2021, 03:00:48 am »

Thanks mate, that's a nice little piece, it's giving me a sense of a very cosy Scandinavian quasi-English day by the telly in Sweden back in the day with the match on and beans on toast for supper  ;D

Come on redmen - big game this  :scarf

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2021, 09:53:28 am »
anyone else remember the fa cup semi final 3rd replay at highfield road that we lost 1 - 0
1980 I think - absolute shite night

also a 2nd replay of the league cup at villa park 88 I  think which we won 2 - 1
ground was buzzing that night despite being only two thirds full

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2021, 10:04:24 am »
anyone else remember the fa cup semi final 3rd replay at highfield road that we lost 1 - 0
1980 I think - absolute shite night

also a 2nd replay of the league cup at villa park 88 I  think which we won 2 - 1
ground was buzzing that night despite being only two thirds full

I remember listening to that League Cup one. Did Aldridge scored a header to win it (off his shoulder maybe?!). All that effort to then I think get humped by West Ham in the next round. Imagine having 2 replays in the League Cup these days. Younger fans would have a fit. :D