Author Topic: Blazing Saddles @ 50 years old.. and other Mel Brooks productions if you got 'em  (Read 2516 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Blazing Saddles, BBC 4 10:15pm tonight.

And later on, there will be a number 6 dance.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
Last call for Rockridge!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
--See this hand?

-Steady as a rock.

--Yeah well, I shoot with this one (produces his other manically shaking hand)

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
It’s a great film, and I’m going to go against the grain and say it could be made today, provided you have the brilliance of Mel Brooks behind it, as it’s clearly taking the piss out of idiot racists.

If we are going to re-examine, things like Revenge of the Nerds and Porkys are problems, not Blazing Saddles.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Just bookmarked High Anxiety and Silent Movie on BeeTV will watch them sometime over the weekend

These two came out in quick succession and I'm sure I saw them as a 'double bill' at the cinema in the late 70s. Got your money's worth in those days with a double bill feature.

I read once that Young Frankenstein was way behind the shooting schedule right from the off, because Gene Wilder & Marty Feldman were two of the biggest 'corpsers' in the film industry. They just had to exchange a look to set them off laughing. There's so many out-takes and bloopers available on Youtube that you wonder how they ever finished it.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
It’s a great film, and I’m going to go against the grain and say it could be made today, provided you have the brilliance of Mel Brooks behind it, as it’s clearly taking the piss out of idiot racists.

If we are going to re-examine, things like Revenge of the Nerds and Porkys are problems, not Blazing Saddles.

I’m shocked this thread has made 2 pages considering the film quotes and the way this place is, let alone a remake! :lmao

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

don't doubt there's smart and funny enough people to come up with the ideas and have the desire to get it out there. but i'm not sure i share your optimism in terms of some sections of audiences.

young people (talking gen z here) seem to be a lot more reactionary and absolutist in a lot of things, and many seem to be really prescriptive about the arts - 'should have done this' , 'shouldn't have done that type' stuff.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
don't doubt there's smart and funny enough people to come up with the ideas and have the desire to get it out there. but i'm not sure i share your optimism in terms of some sections of audiences.

young people (talking gen z here) seem to be a lot more reactionary and absolutist in a lot of things, and many seem to be really prescriptive about the arts - 'should have done this' , 'shouldn't have done that type' stuff.

There's an American comedian I've seen on reels, Brad Williams - his bio is comedian, part time dwarf. In one reel, he's talking about a woman coming up to him after a show, offended that he uses the word midget. He is apologetic at first, asking does she have a kid with the same condition as him? No. Does she have a family member? No. he then tells her to fuck off, getting offended on other peoples behalf.

You can imagine the uproar when Higgins from Magnum is getting ready for the Sheriffs arrival, the fella keeps shouting what they think is "the sheriffs a near" because of the church bell, then he  does his speech, looks up and says "we welcome our new...... n*****r"
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The bit in High Anxiety that cracks me up is when Mel Brook's character specifically and categorically instructs Harvey Korman's Dr. character not to reveal anything about his condition.

Dr Montague (Korman) swears to god on his patient confidentiality etc

2-seconds later you see Harvey's head pop around the door and announce to the whole waiting room "Hey guys! Guess who's got high anxiety!"

:lmao

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada

I think it could be made today, you only have to look at films like Jo Jo Rabbit and BlacKkKlansman and both went on to win Oscars
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
I loved Porky's and Revenge of the Nerds, Screwballs as well!!!! I was around 11 or 12 at the time and i remember everyone in school watched it. Its fucking mental thinking back the stuff like this and the horror films we were allowed to watch. I dont think them films were particularly bad they were essentially about teenagers on heat messing round and chasing each other. They are basically like the Inbetweeners with more nudity if you could compare them to something of the modern day.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
Mostly, but nerds does have the rape at the end there. But it’s okay in the film because she enjoyed it  :-X

Online slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
Mostly, but nerds does have the rape at the end there. But it’s okay in the film because she enjoyed it  :-X

Does it mate? Fucking hell dont remember that. Thank god. Has i said our parents were fucking mental in the 80's.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 09:33:50 pm by slotmachine »

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
Does it mate? Fucking hell dont remember that. Thank god. Has i said our parents were fucking mental in the 80's.

No, it doesn’t! And I’m not surprised you don’t remember, the film plays it like a good thing because the nerd gets the pretty woman. I think I was around the same age as you when I saw it, and I didn’t realise the implication at the time. I may have only realised when it was pointed out, I can’t remember.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
It's available on the iplayer, but only for another 19 days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000x8pm/blazing-saddles
#Sausages

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
It's available on the iplayer, but only for another 19 days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000x8pm/blazing-saddles
In full or edited for the PC Brigade?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
didn't seem at all edited when i watched it on there the other day :)

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία

I'm a fully paid up member of the PC brigade and have no problem with it, what would need to be edited?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
I'm a fully paid up member of the PC brigade and have no problem with it, what would need to be edited?

We'll take the chinks and the niggers, but we won't take the Irish.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
We'll take the chinks and the niggers, but we won't take the Irish.

It's a film about racism, why wouldn't it be using derogatory racist terms for ethnic/national groups? That character is one of the town leaders who at the start of the movie had been depicted as entirely racist towards Bart, and whilst the townfolk had been undergoing an evolution across the movie away from that it, the attitudes and language don't drop away overnight. Besides, he doesn't get his way and immediately changes his mind.

Context is key, they are using these words in the movie for effect. There is a level of skill and comic artistry involved in being able to 'get away with it, it's a world away from simply using using such words in some Bernard Manning-style stand up routine.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Context is key, they are using these words in the movie for effect. There is a level of skill and comic artistry involved in being able to 'get away with it, it's a world away from simply using using such words in some Bernard Manning-style stand up routine.
Agree with all that, but the words that they use in the film are generally words most of us wouldn't use in any context.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

In full, just started watching it & couple of n words already.
#Sausages

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
In full, just started watching it & couple of n words already.
:thumbup