Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 337060 times)

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Xabi Alonso
« Reply #3240 on: September 4, 2016, 02:10:52 pm »
He was probably underrated at the time because it was just before Barcelona started winning everything in sight with that Guardiola all-out possession football, which was when controllers came back into vogue in a big way, and also just before football coverage became much more involved with tactics. It was far easier to look at a matchwinner like Stevie and see what he brought to the team. Wonderful player though, can you imagine how much we'd have won if we'd somehow been able to keep that midfield three together? Amazing to think that Lucas and Yossi were the understudies in that midfield.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3241 on: September 5, 2016, 06:06:48 pm »
He was also underrated due to the media and their obsession with us being a one man team in order to have a go at rafa. For a while every man and his dog called us a one man team, then by 2008 we were a two man team (torres) and it was only once rafa was sacked and his team dismantled and playing abroad that the media and general football fans agreed how talented the likes of reina, mascherano and alonso were.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3242 on: September 17, 2016, 06:49:16 pm »
Another good goal today. 2 in 3 for him now.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3243 on: September 20, 2016, 08:32:33 pm »
If you had the choice between having Gerrard or Alonso in your team for their entire career, who would you choose?

I was pondering this just now. Dead heat for me.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3244 on: September 20, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »
If you had the choice between having Gerrard or Alonso in your team for their entire career, who would you choose?

Depends on who else you had in the team and what you need more.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3245 on: September 20, 2016, 08:47:07 pm »

Gerrard. Easy choice for me, as much as I love Alonso.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #3246 on: September 20, 2016, 09:45:43 pm »
Alonso. Glorious and all as Gerrard was, I don't think he ever really fit any team he played for, and I imagine the same would have applied if he'd gone elsewhere. Gerrard was just an outstanding one off who was too good to leave out of any team, whereas Alonso could knit a team together. It was no coincidence that Gerrard had his best season out right with Alonso pulling the strings inside.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3247 on: September 21, 2016, 12:06:04 am »

Alonso. Every day of the week.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3248 on: September 21, 2016, 12:06:55 am »
Gerrard, a one off talent.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3249 on: September 21, 2016, 12:14:09 am »
Alonso. Glorious and all as Gerrard was, I don't think he ever really fit any team he played for, and I imagine the same would have applied if he'd gone elsewhere. Gerrard was just an outstanding one off who was too good to leave out of any team, whereas Alonso could knit a team together. It was no coincidence that Gerrard had his best season out right with Alonso pulling the strings inside.

Hyperbole to say he never 'fit'.

And last comment is arguable, Alonso is just as reliant on other players and factors as Gerrard have him in the wrong set up and he can be badly exposed also, Benitez knitted that team together not Xabi, and Gerrard was on his way to super stardom long before he played alongside Alonso

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3250 on: September 21, 2016, 12:51:55 am »

They're both exceptional players but it would have to be Gerrard, both because of his versatility and because he's a game winner. Alonso is terrific but I feel he's more reliant on having great players around him than Gerrard.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3251 on: September 21, 2016, 06:08:42 am »
Gerrard but Alonso is pure quality

Gerrard we wont see ther likes of again i dont think

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3252 on: September 21, 2016, 07:04:43 am »
Stibby all the time.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3253 on: September 21, 2016, 07:41:30 pm »
See how I derailed things ...

I'd make a terrible train driver
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3254 on: September 21, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »
Anyone saying Alonso is wrong ;D

Seriously though, I would take Gerrard without hesitation. Alonso is and was a magnificent player but Gerrard was a once in a generation type. Stick him in any team ever and he'd win them matches and drag them to another level. There's no comparison in my opinion.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3255 on: September 21, 2016, 08:52:23 pm »

Seriously though, I would take Gerrard without hesitation. Alonso is and was a magnificent player but Gerrard was a once in a generation type. Stick him in any team ever and he'd win them matches and drag them to another level. There's no comparison in my opinion.

Agreed.

Xabi is one of the best of his generation undoubtedly the sexy bastard.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #3256 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:37 pm »

Seriously though, I would take Gerrard without hesitation. Alonso is and was a magnificent player but Gerrard was a once in a generation type. Stick him in any team ever and he'd win them matches and drag them to another level.

Like he did with England?

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3257 on: September 21, 2016, 09:27:45 pm »
Gerrard is the better player, but if I were a manager I'd chose Xabi first.

I just love that type of player and think that such deeplying playmakers with his combination of skill, intelligence and defensive awareness are almost unique. Gerrard, in terms of how much he could do on the pitch is even more rare as an individual, but in his best position (attacking central midfielder/second striker imo) there are more players who can have a similar impact than it is in the role Xabi plays. You've got Pirlo - although he isn't nearly as good defensively - in the last 10-15 years, but practically no one else (not counting the likes of Xavi and Scholes who usually played a bit further forward).

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3258 on: September 22, 2016, 08:24:33 pm »
Like he did with England?
plenty of times he carried england and based on performances he was made captain far too late on imo. Plus  infamously that midfield had been mismanaged for years which didnt help him. I think hes gone down as one of few england players over the last decade or so that didnt let the team down, even if he never istanbul-ed them to a world cup win.

Did Alonso prepel Spain to another level? A wonderful piece of a wonderful puzzle he was but there were plenty others that could slot in and do his job. I dont think there is any player, arguably ever, that could have slotted in to do Gerrard's job at Liverpool. Thats the difference.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #3259 on: September 23, 2016, 12:17:20 am »

Stevie all day

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #3260 on: September 23, 2016, 08:13:43 am »
Xabi for me. 

As much as I love Stevie, we played better with Xabi and without Steve than vice versa.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3261 on: October 29, 2016, 04:22:30 am »
Stevie all day

After much pondering it's no longer even a debate for me. Stevie by a country mile.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #3262 on: October 29, 2016, 05:25:37 am »
Stevie is considered one of the greatest alongside Kenny in the club's history. Seldom, if ever, for Xabi to be referred to in the same way.

That should make my choice clear.

It's Diomede.

Curious about Andy@Allerton's choice.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:35:26 am by Sheev-Palpatine »
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #3263 on: October 29, 2016, 11:55:19 am »
Xabi over Stevie?

:lmao

The ONLY reason you might choose Xabi is because Xabi was as if not better at 34 than 24 whereas Stevie was half the player. And I say that as a Xabi fanboy who'd still ave Xabi back.
Believe

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3264 on: October 29, 2016, 03:07:23 pm »
Stevie had a higher peak, xabi had a longer one and is still playing for Bayern regularly in his mid 30s whereas Gerrard is in MLS so I'd probably go with Xabi just for the entirety of his career

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3265 on: October 29, 2016, 07:54:34 pm »
Stevie is considered one of the greatest alongside Kenny in the club's history. Seldom, if ever, for Xabi to be referred to in the same way.

That should make my choice clear.

It's Diomede.

Curious about Andy@Allerton's choice.
Pretty sure Andy would even pick Lucas over Stevie tbf.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3266 on: January 18, 2017, 09:41:30 am »
Will retire from football at the end of the season :(

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3267 on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:48 am »
Will retire from football at the end of the season :(

The final proof (if anyone still needed it) that Gareth Barry is the better player.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3268 on: January 18, 2017, 10:53:38 am »
There'll only be a few players left playing from that 08/09 team soon  :(
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3269 on: January 18, 2017, 11:38:45 am »
Absolute gem of a player. Will not be surprised to see him turn into an excellent manager.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3270 on: January 18, 2017, 11:52:00 am »
Absolute gem of a player. Will not be surprised to see him turn into an excellent manager.

God, we're all getting old. Even Xabi can't beat old father time.

If he doesn't become a top manager, with that brain and after spending his career coached by Rafa, Pep, del Bosque, Mourinho and Ancelotti I think we can forget about predicting any player becoming a top manager.

Best of luck to him, but I don't think the good-looking bastard will need it  :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3271 on: January 18, 2017, 12:08:01 pm »
God, we're all getting old. Even Xabi can't beat old father time.

If he doesn't become a top manager, with that brain and after spending his career coached by Rafa, Pep, del Bosque, Mourinho and Ancelotti I think we can forget about predicting any player becoming a top manager.

Best of luck to him, but I don't think the good-looking bastard will need it  :D
  jesus that is some list of managers
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3272 on: January 18, 2017, 12:08:20 pm »
There have been better players, but none I've enjoyed watching more than Xabi Alonso. What a career and what a magnificent player.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3273 on: January 18, 2017, 12:29:49 pm »
There have been better players, but none I've enjoyed watching more than Xabi Alonso. What a career and what a magnificent player.
you hit the nail on the head there pal

He is the best player i have seen live. I have seen both Ronaldos and the likes of Ronaldinho and totti. all arguably better players but he truly entertained me

i told people many a time he was worth the price of the ticket alone

always in space and put the ball around effortlessly . i absolutely loved seeing him live.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3274 on: January 18, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »
Abiding memory will always be him absolutely bossing the derby after Gerrard got sent off early doors.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #3275 on: January 18, 2017, 01:00:28 pm »
I remember Alonso getting buried in the press about a month and a half after we signed him for putting a few free kicks into the crowd at Stamford Bridge. A fortnight later we were 2-0 down at Fulham after 25 minutes and Salif Daio has started instead of him. The away end demanded Xabi Alonso he comes on at half time and we claw it back to 2-2 only for Josemi to get sent off. 2 minutes later we get a free kick which Alonso tucks away and he never looked back.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3276 on: January 18, 2017, 01:15:19 pm »
Dial picked ahead of him, hard to imagine that ever seeming like a sensible decision!

Remember that 2-2 with Spurs from the 04/05 season?  There was a compilation video knocking around that was incredible. Easily ten or more passes that made you stand and applaud.

Is there anyone from the Istanbul squad still playing? Scott Carson at a guess.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3277 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:19 pm »
Dial picked ahead of him, hard to imagine that ever seeming like a sensible decision!

Remember that 2-2 with Spurs from the 04/05 season?  There was a compilation video knocking around that was incredible. Easily ten or more passes that made you stand and applaud.

the two assists against Sunderland in there no doubt

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3278 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:34 pm »
Time flies mannnnn, doesn't feel like that long ago we signed him as a youngster now he's retiring and Gerrard is gone. Meanwhile Enrico Chiesa's son is playing in the Fiorentina team and Kluiverts son come on as a sub for Ajax the other day.  ;D

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3279 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:39 pm »

i was in prague in november and was told Milan Baros is still knocking about, but a much lower level than Liverpool obviously. Is Cisse still playing?
Abiding memory will always be him absolutely bossing the derby after Gerrard got sent off early doors.
didnt Van Der Meyde elbow Alonso to get red carded that day?

Xabi's last season he was the victim of a few red card tackles. Vidic and Lampard to name two. im sure there was about 5 though.

He wasnt afraid to get hurt. he missed a lot of his first season with  broken foot. first game back against juventus he was immense. him and igor

wow