Author Topic: What Podcasts do you listen to?  (Read 152401 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: What Podcasts do you listen to?
« Reply #840 on: October 15, 2020, 09:00:27 pm »
I find the Iraq war a bit depressing to be honest, but the Fault Line presented by David Dimbleby is good. It's certainly with it on a slow output Pod day.
Did you se once upon a time in Iraq on BBC2? As incredible as it was awful.  Not to be missed though
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: October 15, 2020, 09:16:58 pm »
I've blasted through Gossip Mongers recently. Really daft podcast where people write in with rumours and gossip that they have heard, usually while growing up. 
They fucked off Poppy for some reason, not the same since...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: October 15, 2020, 11:39:22 pm »
Did you se once upon a time in Iraq on BBC2? As incredible as it was awful.  Not to be missed though
No I didn't Tepid mate.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: October 16, 2020, 09:56:30 am »
Carragher's series is back. It's Robbie Fowler kicking off Season 2.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #844 on: October 16, 2020, 02:10:50 pm »
Carragher's series is back. It's Robbie Fowler kicking off Season 2.
It's dead good this

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: October 16, 2020, 05:49:38 pm »
No I didn't Tepid mate.
You have to watch it. 

It’s grim,  but it’s just incredible.  Check it out on iPlayer. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #846 on: October 20, 2020, 12:14:31 pm »

Top flight time machine with Sam Delaney and Andy Dawson - similar end result.

You IFS? *Taps Nose*

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #847 on: November 11, 2020, 04:02:46 pm »
Just listened to the first episode of Bed of Lies

I had heard of the premise before, but hearing it in the first person is shocking

Undercover Officers from the Met targeted political groups for intelligence. By targeted, meaning, male (some married) police officers get to know and become romantically involved with members of the organization and end up as there full time romantic partners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_undercover_policing_relationships_scandal

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #848 on: November 11, 2020, 06:11:43 pm »
After hearing him on the Adam Buxton show Ive been listening to The Blindboy Podcast. What an interesting guy!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: November 11, 2020, 06:55:58 pm »
After hearing him on the Adam Buxton show Ive been listening to The Blindboy Podcast. What an interesting guy!
He’s ok.
Used to follow the podcast from the start for a few months, but it got a bit samey after a while and I never came back to it. I do still enjoy his live video streaming/music session jams with hillarious lyrics sang over gameplay of Red dead redemption. [emoji3]

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: November 11, 2020, 07:03:45 pm »
Really enjoyed Rabbit Hole from the New York Times - I thought it was mentioned in here but must have been in one of the politics threads.

Its about how the internet is changing our lives and driving people to conspiracy theories and the far right etc.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #851 on: November 14, 2020, 02:18:30 pm »
A new Hardcore History episode now up. Supernova in the East part 5. Dan Carlin on top form. Certainly warming to his unique style.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: November 25, 2020, 01:11:55 pm »
Been on a podcast binge lately.
S-Town is absolutely brilliant. From the makers of Serial and This American Life.

https://stownpodcast.org/

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: November 25, 2020, 01:12:34 pm »
A new Hardcore History episode now up. Supernova in the East part 5. Dan Carlin on top form. Certainly warming to his unique style.
Oh get in. Been looking forward to that.

Offline Trabolgan

• Anny Roader
  • "For The Honour"
« Reply #854 on: November 29, 2020, 07:58:33 pm »
A new podcast called The Rest is History by authors Dominic Sandbrook and Tom Holland is great. The second episode about civil wars was fascinating especially the segment about how far along the road to a second civil war America is (a long way)
For The Honour

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: November 29, 2020, 08:32:13 pm »
Oh excellent... I could hear Tom Holland speak about anything ...
Such an interesting guy...

His brother has a podcast with with Al Murray called we have ways of making you talk... well worth it too
W

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #856 on: December 4, 2020, 02:41:34 am »
New podcast I've been listening to:  Thunder Bay (https://www.canadaland.com/shows/thunder-bay/)

Fascinating Canadian podcast
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: December 4, 2020, 06:10:15 am »
New podcast I've been listening to:  Thunder Bay (https://www.canadaland.com/shows/thunder-bay/)

Fascinating Canadian podcast

Canadaland do a lot of very good podcasts. They did one on Vice News/Magazine called Cool Mules. Its about how one of the owners was using news organization to smuggle drugs worldwide.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #858 on: December 4, 2020, 04:43:01 pm »
Canadaland do a lot of very good podcasts. They did one on Vice News/Magazine called Cool Mules. Its about how one of the owners was using news organization to smuggle drugs worldwide.

Just listened to that one last night, mate.  Agreed - excellent listen!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: December 13, 2020, 12:27:00 pm »
Hunting Ghislaine Maxwell from John Sweeney is really good, there's 4 up so far.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: December 13, 2020, 04:12:21 pm »
Hunting Ghislaine Maxwell from John Sweeney is really good, there's 4 up so far.

Another vote for this. Adds to the recent Netflix series well. I like Sweeney's asides with his producer. A nice touch I haven't heard on this type of podcast before.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: December 13, 2020, 07:23:29 pm »
Another vote for this. Adds to the recent Netflix series well. I like Sweeney's asides with his producer. A nice touch I haven't heard on this type of podcast before.
Yep. The entire story is intriguing isn't it, and Sweeney is superb.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #862 on: December 14, 2020, 01:45:07 am »

That Netflix series was heavy. A lot of the stuff I've watched recently have left me needing some light relief (hence my Airplane shout in the film thread).

I will give this a go, but right now I really need some light comedy in my world. Have been listening to the odd "The Good place" podcast as I've recently binged the show.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: December 14, 2020, 10:46:20 am »
That Netflix series was heavy. A lot of the stuff I've watched recently have left me needing some light relief (hence my Airplane shout in the film thread).

I will give this a go, but right now I really need some light comedy in my world. Have been listening to the odd "The Good place" podcast as I've recently binged the show.

This is interesting. It may be a lockdown thing but I seem to have been drawn more to 'less than cheerful' listening. I'm with you, I need something to get a more optimistic tone back. Just listening to 'Effctively Speaking', a podcast about the great special effects sequences in movies. Very interesting, and not a little silly.

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: December 14, 2020, 12:04:29 pm »
"Have A Word" with Adam Rowe & Dan Nightingale.

Has me absolutely crying with laughter all the time.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #865 on: December 14, 2020, 12:25:36 pm »
Bill Gates and Rashida Jones do a podcast together now, have we hit 'peak podcast'?

Online AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #866 on: December 14, 2020, 12:51:13 pm »
This is interesting. It may be a lockdown thing but I seem to have been drawn more to 'less than cheerful' listening. I'm with you, I need something to get a more optimistic tone back. Just listening to 'Effctively Speaking', a podcast about the great special effects sequences in movies. Very interesting, and not a little silly.

I know exactly what you mean. I found my entire feed full of covid updates or some other interesting but somewhat down take on some aspect of life. Even my regular relief of the 606 podcast or BBC foorball podcasts just are not getting it anymore. I ditched loads of negative ones a few weeks ago and tried to find ones of the lighter side of life.

I went totally off the wall and got 'Couples Quarantine with James Haskell and Chloe Madeley'. It is absolute total fluff and not really serious. At times Chloe is so annoying with the self important crap that comes out her mouth, she just seems pretty unlikeable as an individual. For me though it is total light relief.

The one with Russell Kane is really funny. He comes across as a pretty straight forward guy and is really honest about what the difficulties in a marriage can be. He has some funny stories about being able to go out on a Friday or Saturday night with his wife on the rare occasions he is not working and she proceeds to get trashed in minutes.

Online AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #867 on: December 14, 2020, 12:54:56 pm »
Yep. The entire story is intriguing isn't it, and Sweeney is superb.
I have found the whole story fascinating. It must be that fact the figures in power finally get their come uppance which makes it so satisfying. Also bringing in to the light that really bad things can happen to young girls in this part of the world that certainly I never imagined. The clear corruption is also pretty staggering. Thanks for the tip on the 'hunting ghislaine'. I already can't wait to hear it.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #868 on: December 14, 2020, 01:06:52 pm »
Paul McCartney was on Adam Buxton's latest podcast
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #869 on: December 14, 2020, 01:20:13 pm »
Paul McCartney was on Adam Buxton's latest podcast

I just listened to that this weekend. It was nice hearing Pauls take on a few things and setting the record straight. I had never heard the back story before to Johns words "Beatles are bigger than Jesus' and that it was totally misrepresented. It was just really nice listening really with an easy slow paced interview.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: December 14, 2020, 02:16:27 pm »
Really enjoyed The Polybius Conspiracy from Show Case/Radiotopia (2017).

https://www.radiotopia.fm/showcase/the-polybius-conspiracy

About a mythical arcade game from the early 80s. Brought me back to my wasted youth hanging out in amusement arcades.

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #871 on: December 14, 2020, 06:57:45 pm »
there's a really great reply:all (number 158) about a missing hit that's worth an hour of anyone's time. Really entertaining. I dip in and out of their stuff but its generally good.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: December 14, 2020, 10:07:53 pm »

I've added that to my growing list. I've listened to most of number 76 with Paul Smith tonight, really good. I actually thought Smith was on from the beginning because one of the hosts voice is extremely similar.

Online AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #873 on: December 29, 2020, 09:50:29 pm »
Just listened to the Meghan and Harry podcast released exclusively on Spotify (which I assume means they got a sweet fee for).

They did one based on reflections of 2020 from mostly celebrity friends.

I don't have an ax to grind with either of them and think they both seem decent people.

Podcast is basically 'meh'. It is neither one thing nor another. As individuals they don't have a great story to tell and as a 'reflections on 2020' there are several better ones released by major media outlets. Overall the 33 minute podcast is a mix of depressing details of peoples lives and people hoping for the best for the future.

Looking forward to trying 'have a word'.

Online Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #874 on: January 5, 2021, 04:19:52 pm »
Just listened to Louis Therouxs Grounded with Frankie Boyle. He says how he read Frankies old column in the rag, or something along those lines.

Louis then goes on to reference Papa Lazarou from The Mighty Boosh!

I'm a big Theroux fan, but today he is in the bad books.

Also recently listened to Joe Rogan episode with Elon Musk. Really recommend having a listen. It's like 3 hours long and Rogans a dick... But it's very interesting.
"Salahs in here......"

Online AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #875 on: January 5, 2021, 06:20:44 pm »

Just listened to the first one.

Its brilliant stuff.

Just finished Bed of Lies about undercover met police infiltrating hunt saboteur and similar activist groups. Its shocking stuff. Married male Police officers would go undercover by befriending women in these groups and then start reporting back on the groups activities.  These giys would be sleeping with their targets at night and then seeing their families during the day for up to 4 years. The women targets were not criminals and do not seem to be the most active agitators, however the Police officers used them as an 'in' to get into one group and then other groups. After 4 years some women had had children and had a full on relationship with men they later found out they did not know at all. Some Police officers were later exposed and of course end up in divorces. Its an eye opening story.

Online AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #876 on: January 5, 2021, 06:25:07 pm »
Just listened to Louis Therouxs Grounded with Frankie Boyle. He says how he read Frankies old column in the rag, or something along those lines.

Louis then goes on to reference Papa Lazarou from The Mighty Boosh!

I'm a big Theroux fan, but today he is in the bad books.

Also recently listened to Joe Rogan episode with Elon Musk. Really recommend having a listen. It's like 3 hours long and Rogans a dick... But it's very interesting.

I thought the Boyle one was interesting from hearing how someone who used to popular on TV, said several fairly offensive things and was then was dropped by most of his employers. I thought Theroux was just being Theroux and throwing stuff out as he seemed fit.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #877 on: January 6, 2021, 11:10:39 am »
Anyone listened to any of the James English stuff?

Came across one or two of his interviews with various well known ex-gangsters (I know he's had Stephen French and Darren Gee on, among others). Looks like plenty more people from various other backgrounds as well.

First couple I listened to were interesting anyway.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: January 6, 2021, 11:52:24 am »
I have recently binned my contract and am now on GiffGaff PAYG so I need Podcasts that you can download as otherwise I use my data up in no time.
  Any recommendations for downloadable ones would be much appreciated as would an indication by posters  to indicate if a recommended podcast is downloadable.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: January 6, 2021, 12:11:56 pm »
I have recently binned my contract and am now on GiffGaff PAYG so I need Podcasts that you can download as otherwise I use my data up in no time.
  Any recommendations for downloadable ones would be much appreciated as would an indication by posters  to indicate if a recommended podcast is downloadable.

I use the Beyondpod app and you can pre download any podcast on it (apart from Spotify exclusives - I refuse to listen to those on principle).