Author Topic: Family Tree Searches  (Read 43563 times)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Family Tree Searches
« Reply #320 on: July 6, 2023, 08:10:09 pm »
The GRO have started digitising their records; so far they have 1837 to 1887 deaths, and 1837 to 1922 births. Priced at £2.50 a go.

You do need to register.

See under 'Standard Service'   https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faq.asp?fbclid=IwAR2YKXWEY_7JUPgLmEy9rUJNooTIjw_dI0UQn14cuIZBJYWrLMcxGWRSycg
Hello mate, what's new about this? What do you receive for £2.50? If it's actual certificates then that cheap as they usually charge about £7.50 for an on-line PdF or £11 for a delivered cert.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: July 6, 2023, 08:31:13 pm »
Hi John, the images are digitised and viewable online. Apart from that and the price, I don't know.
I've never had any dealings with the GRO - it's just took me a quarter of an hour just to register.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: July 6, 2023, 08:34:32 pm »
Ta mate, appreciated.
It would have been useful for me over the last 10 years, I've spent a few bob on various explorative certs :)

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #323 on: July 8, 2023, 02:03:30 pm »
The GRO have started digitising their records; so far they have 1837 to 1887 deaths, and 1837 to 1922 births. Priced at £2.50 a go.

You do need to register.

See under 'Standard Service'   https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faq.asp?fbclid=IwAR2YKXWEY_7JUPgLmEy9rUJNooTIjw_dI0UQn14cuIZBJYWrLMcxGWRSycg
Thanks for the heads up on that. The large drop in price and instant access made it possible to look at more peripheral characters.

I've learnt that most of the working class in Liverpool died of TB or bronchitis. Failing that they got finished off by one of the cholera outbreaks. And we think life is hard.....

One strange case was a gt-gt grandmother,  where one of the causes of death was given as hypochondria. This seems a contradiction along the lines of Spike Milligan's epitaph, "I told them I was ill". I can only assume she suffered 10 years of acute anxiety before 8 weeks of bronchitis really did take her.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: December 19, 2023, 10:55:09 pm »

You do need to register.

The date for the deaths has been extended to 1957
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #325 on: December 19, 2023, 11:07:39 pm »
Didn't know about this. Thanks for the heads-up

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2024, 10:40:41 pm »
The Ancestry site had a major flaw in my profile which has been resolved now.
If you have issues with the site, don't think it's you - its them.

Pain in the arse but I must admit they are extremely helpful.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: March 23, 2024, 01:17:43 am »
It's pretty interesting when you find a line that goes way back. I've traced one line directly to the Daundelyon and Pettit families (Sir John Pettit and Lady Daundelyon; lived in the Dent-de-Lion fortress/manor in Sussex in 15th/16th century). The Daundelyons are descendants of one of William the Conqueror's men. Trying to find more details. Someone called "Aybeuare".
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 01:35:06 am by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #328 on: March 23, 2024, 01:47:10 am »
It's pretty interesting when you find a line that goes way back. I've traced one line directly to the Daundelyon and Pettit families (Sir John Pettit and Lady Daundelyon; lived in the Dent-de-Lion fortress/manor in Sussex in 15th/16th century). The Daundelyons are descendants of one of William the Conqueror's men. Trying to find more details. Someone called "Aybeuare".

Maybe you'll find a "Peabeuare" line somewheres... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: March 23, 2024, 02:04:19 am »
Maybe you'll find a "Peabeuare" line somewheres... :D

:D there's only one of me...

Someone else has done the work for me on the Pettit side. All the way back to the 11th century. Looks like they came over with William the Conqueror too ffs. Sir Otes Pettit, Knight, Lord of Ardevora. What a name. Can I change my username to this?  ;D

https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~petytandnewiss/genealogy/Ardevora.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 02:12:00 am by Peabee »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: March 23, 2024, 06:22:08 am »
Coincidence! Someone has traced my family name back to one of William the Conquers men also. Unfolding centuries of ancestors is fascinating.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2024, 12:44:29 am »
Coincidence! Someone has traced my family name back to one of William the Conquers men also. Unfolding centuries of ancestors is fascinating.

Nice one cuz.  :D

Yeah, it is fascinating. Churchill, President Ford, Charles and Diana (and David Cameron  :-\) are related to the Pettits too. I want to do my grandad's side in Newfoundland, but it's a bit harder as I don't have as much information.

Potentially related to the Viking Rollo and that line. Just need to confirm the Aybeaure fella - someone said it could be an alternative spelling of Awbrey/Aubrey who definitely came over with William. Definitely a descendant of King John on the Pettit side as one of the Pettits is the son of King John's granddaughter. The Pettits owned huge parts of Cornwall, Devon etc in the 11th century onwards. I said to my missus I was hoping to find the likes of Newton, Fermat or Euclid, but it appears my ancestors are lords, tyrants and vikings.