Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1044913 times)

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #14680 on: April 24, 2024, 08:56:32 pm »
Absolute fucking state of half of you c*nts. Fuck off and support another team you cretins.
He’s not good enough Barney. Surely you must see it?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14681 on: April 24, 2024, 08:57:09 pm »
Does he understand he can shoot in any part of the goal?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14682 on: April 24, 2024, 08:57:30 pm »
His head has gone. He wouldn't be in the team if Jota and Gakpo don't end up missing tonight.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #14683 on: April 25, 2024, 07:05:35 am »
He can't be considered the first choice when he is routinely missing gilt-edged chances are crucial periods in games. I think he is good enough to be part of the squad but I think we need someone more clinical to start most games.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 07:07:26 am by spider-neil »

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14684 on: April 25, 2024, 07:06:14 am »
I've said many times over the past couple of years (here and/or IRL), he's great for chance creation volume, but the concern is that his inefficiency makes him ill suited for big games, like a CL final where you're likely to only get one big chance. This has come home to roost in recent weeks, and sadly it seems the pressure has driven his efficiency down even further, to the point where he's a liability. I expect that with a new manager and new season, he'll be racking up good G+A/90 numbers again, but these doubts will resurface at the pointy end of the season.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14685 on: April 25, 2024, 07:07:37 am »
Who the fuck cares. We are trying to win the title. We paid €60m for the guy. He cant control the ball, he cant finish. Sub him asap and bring on Gakpo

The jury is still out to if he’s good enough, and unfortunately it’s starting to look like he’s not the case, but saying he is costing us the title was a bit of a stretch. Diaz and salah, amongst others, have been poor too

Do I think he’s the answer? Honestly no but the scapegoating of him last night wasn’t on

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14686 on: April 25, 2024, 07:08:09 am »
Huge miss and the miscontrol later from a beautiful pass was really poor. Not really sure how he got the full 90 if i'm honest, disappeared most of the 2nd half

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14687 on: April 25, 2024, 07:10:40 am »
I've said many times over the past couple of years (here and/or IRL), he's great for chance creation volume, but the concern is that his inefficiency makes him ill suited for big games, like a CL final where you're likely to only get one big chance. This has come home to roost in recent weeks, and sadly it seems the pressure has driven his efficiency down even further, to the point where he's a liability. I expect that with a new manager and new season, he'll be racking up good G+A/90 numbers again, but these doubts will resurface at the pointy end of the season.

Exactly. What is the point in a striker that could (potentially) get you to the final furlong but not over the line?

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14688 on: April 25, 2024, 07:12:00 am »
I can't believe no one in training is telling him to go for the percentage finish. When you're though on goal, are you more likely to score by putting your foot through the ball or going across the keeper. Yet still, game after game he blasting the ball and what you gain in power you lose in accuracy and yet he still does it.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14689 on: April 25, 2024, 07:17:12 am »
I can't believe no one in training is telling him to go for the percentage finish. When you're though on goal, are you more likely to score by putting your foot through the ball or going across the keeper. Yet still, game after game he blasting the ball and what you gain in power you lose in accuracy and yet he still does it.

Exactly this. Aguero, Torres and other good strikers used just pass the ball into the net. Nunez hits it as hard as he can. They must be telling him.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #14690 on: April 25, 2024, 07:21:51 am »
Luxury player. Can do something outrageous in 1 game and then go missing in 10, which frankly, is not good enough for a side with title aspirations. He's been here for two years now, so the lazy excuse that he needs time to adapt is no longer valid

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14691 on: April 25, 2024, 07:29:59 am »
Last night merely confirmed what loads of us have said for a while. He can still be part of the squad and can be a "horses for courses" option, but I don't think he'll ever be the guy we can depend on. To me, it's simply a matter of footballing IQ. He can be dangerous and productive in quite a few games because of his physical gifts, but I don't think he'll ever be able to improve his footballing intelligence, which is mostly really poor.

Overall, considering how much money we committed to signing him and how much we've hung our hat on him being both the present and future of our attack, it's been a very disappointing signing.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14692 on: April 25, 2024, 07:31:39 am »
That regression to the mean is due any day now. The streets aren't ready for Darwizzy once he stops being shite unlucky.

- Someone in this thread, this time next year, when he's sitting on 10 league goals.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #14693 on: April 25, 2024, 07:31:49 am »
I thought he was meant to struggle when he had too much time (Like against Brentford????! where he had ages and chipped keeper)
And he was best when he didnt have to think??

The worst thing about the chance was it should have been instinctive

It reminded me in a way of the Salah chance against de Gea in the 5-0 (when keeper had his angles wrong and left massive gap to his right, and Mo just slotted it in)

I know different, but the space Pickford left was massive, you could immediately see it watching TV
It was sort of strike a defender would do.....just smash it

And thats the difference between winning and losing at this level. He scored, it's 1-1 and we continue to dominant in end of first half....

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #14694 on: April 25, 2024, 07:36:21 am »
Has anyone seen the Webb and Michell show, where they are the Nazis and do the maybe we are the bad guys skit?

Watching Darwin try to turn the defender first half  and then slip on his arse
Miss control a fantastic Trent pass when he was clean through the middle
And then miss that gilt edged chance

Made me think - maybe other fans are right, and WE are the deluded ones. And he really is bad...

Because I guarantee if he played for City, Arsenal or Utd and we would be pissing ourselves

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14695 on: April 25, 2024, 07:41:34 am »
The jury is still out to if he’s good enough, and unfortunately it’s starting to look like he’s not the case, but saying he is costing us the title was a bit of a stretch. Diaz and salah, amongst others, have been poor too

Do I think he’s the answer? Honestly no but the scapegoating of him last night wasn’t on

I find it hard to fathom that the jury can still be out on Nunez. He is plainly not of starting quality for a title chasing team, and given his poor finishing, can he even be relied upon to come off the bench? You just don't know what you're going to get from him.

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14696 on: April 25, 2024, 07:44:22 am »

Made me think - maybe other fans are right, and WE are the deluded ones. And he really is bad...

Less of the 'we'.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #14697 on: April 25, 2024, 07:46:24 am »
Damn that variance.

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14698 on: April 25, 2024, 07:50:10 am »
Damn that variance.

Can someone explain the variance meme to me please

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14699 on: April 25, 2024, 07:53:29 am »
I've already explained where I'm at with him (even though some tried hard to misinterpret it :D).

He's been here for two seasons now which is enough and it's clear that he can't be relied on to score goals if you want to win big pots.

His misses have nothing to do with variance. He's simply bereft of composure and his first touch & decision making are not good enough for a spearhead. It will be mad if the new manager sees him as our spearhead next season.

For the ones that struggle to read between the lines, notice the emphasis on "spearhead". The same ones will do a 180° after calling it bollocks and an agenda.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 07:57:20 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14700 on: April 25, 2024, 07:55:33 am »
Can someone explain the variance meme to me please

Finishing and composure doesn't exist, and Darwin certainly isn't lacking in them.

If you throw enough shit, enough of it will stick.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14701 on: April 25, 2024, 07:56:02 am »
Yep, I've always said the same about him. Genuinely last night if you were picking names of players you would want that chance to fall to, he'd be at best halfway down the list. Bottom of the list of forwards. You'd probably prefer the coolness of MacAllister, Trent or Virgil too. You just cannot trust him in the slightest in the big moments.

It's a conundrum. He hasn't been our biggest problem, his all round game throughout the season has generally been better than Gakpo and Diaz (although that has flipped recently). But he feels like the one player that we've sacrificed something for in terms of a fit for our team. We never played with a number 9 at our best, we went out and signed one for massive money, you expect a massive return. He won't get close to 20 league goals again this year. I don't think he's shown any signs of getting 20+ next year either. When you add on that he's generally been hopeless in big moments, his first touch has regressed to pure shite and he still hasn't learned the offside rule...it's a worry.

Who knows, maybe a new manager comes in and gets a tune out of him. For me all the problems though are in his own head and I don't know how anyone fixes that.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #14702 on: April 25, 2024, 07:56:45 am »
Nunez is an easy scapegoat for last night. I understand why people are frustrated with him but we should be equally frustrated with others too - players and manager.

But I think there are genuine questions about him after 2 years at the club and approaching 25. He’s improved in those 2 years but lots of his bigger weaknesses still remain and create doubt about his suitability long term.

I think he’s currently good enough to be part of a top teams squad. But not a regular starter. Maybe 4th or 5th out of 5 options. Maybe that’s how Klopp views him but he’s playing because we’ve got another forward who’s only fit about 60% of the time.

There-in might lie the overarching issue. Maybe Nunez as part of this 5 where he’s relied upon heavily due to durability and suitability of others isn’t the ideal scenario. There needs to be a big think about the forward options this summer since for various reasons there are question marks about each forward we have currently.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14703 on: April 25, 2024, 07:57:00 am »
Just don’t think he will ever have that composure.

The last month or so has been really bad. Blasting shots at the keeper, poor touches when played through - second half last night did he even get a touch on the ball?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14704 on: April 25, 2024, 07:58:24 am »
His finishing is bloody painful. It’s embarrassing and it’s become costly.

Like yesterday. It’s clear you aim for 90% of the open goal. Make it 1-1 it’s a different game. It’s happening too many times. Becoming a joke.

He’s not good enough for us.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14705 on: April 25, 2024, 08:00:19 am »
If we could recoup most of our outlay I’d be happy to move him on this summer, but I don’t think we will be able to, so I’d want him to become a bench option.

That would make, for me, Jota our main striker. But then you have his injury record. Is there going to be £70 - £80m in the transfer budget for a new striker? I think there are plenty of other areas of the team that need investment too, so the new manager maybe be faced with getting a tune out of the existing mix.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #14706 on: April 25, 2024, 08:00:44 am »
Less of the 'we'.

So we arent deluded. He is great, and everyone else just doesnt see it?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14707 on: April 25, 2024, 08:05:08 am »
Set aside missing big chances in key moments. Everyone can see he's let us down there, and in big games in general.

When our midfield is struggling to get a foothold in games, such as last night, when do you ever see Darwin ease the pressure and get us up the pitch?

He's awful with his back to goal, not that he has any interest in having his back to goal. He loves the ball kicked in to the corner for him to chase tongue hanging out of his mouth like a dog to get his lil pavlovian applause from reds in the stands, loves running away from the ball and racking up those offside stats.

Coming towards it, taking it on his chest or winning his battles vs a CB in the air. Taking it under control and laying it off to move us up the pitch that way, you know centre forward shit... Abject.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 08:07:18 am by Cpt_Reina »

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14708 on: April 25, 2024, 08:07:22 am »
I think the experiment failed. We aren't in a position to carry his poor finishing. If we had Jota starting 80% of games, maybe we could afford to have him starting.

I don't ever believe we will be able to rely on him to finish. Even his touch is poor.

If he his happy being an option from the bench then great, otherwise, I'd be looking to recoup some of what we paid for him and get a proper number 9 in.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14709 on: April 25, 2024, 08:11:01 am »
Just don’t think he will ever have that composure.

The last month or so has been really bad. Blasting shots at the keeper, poor touches when played through - second half last night did he even get a touch on the ball?

It's not just his finishing either, it's his composure in all big moments.

That chance vs United where he could either score himself or play a simple cutback to Szobo to tap-in, and instead blasted it across the face of goal to no one will haunt me for a long time. Feel like that's the moment where the season really got away from us and the moment I gave up for good on Darwin ever being our main man in attack.

He has all the attributes but none of the brains. He's basically a very-slightly-better Djibril Cisse.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14710 on: April 25, 2024, 08:12:54 am »
Nunez is not crap, but he is not good enough for a title challenging club. I think 2 seasons is enough body of work to draw that conclusion and I don't think he has been such a disastrous signing that we are trying to shill him to anyone, we can get a good part of our fee back and he will probably go on to have a good career at his next club.

But I think this summer is a good time to cut loose.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #14711 on: April 25, 2024, 08:14:14 am »
No, I have been saying he is crap since he walked through the door.

His best performance at Anfield is still for Benfica.

Understood. I think the Nunez signing (and output) was one of the main catalysts for Edwards eventual return. We talk about data nerds and sample sizes, and there was this huge concern that statistically he wasnt great and had one break-out season. And we bought him at the peak of that.
 Mental note if ourselves and Man U are in a bidding war walk away (we won Nunez, they won Mount and I think we both wish there was a return to sender option).

I dont know how true it is, but am sure heard that Nunez blew the manager and pep away with his performance against us and that was basically that. Despite others having reservations...
And so there is a bitter irony that Nunez performances in the run in to Klopp's last season have come back to haunt everyone

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #14712 on: April 25, 2024, 08:16:38 am »
I dont think you get your money back on him
I think he has got Italy written all over him, and we are in the season long loan with an option but not obligation to buy (and repeat) that they seem to love

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14713 on: April 25, 2024, 08:18:08 am »
I think he has got Italy written all over him, and we are in the season long loan with an option but not obligation to buy (and repeat) that they seem to love

Too handy an option off the bench to settle for that. Get 40m for him and use it better this time. Someone would be willing to take a punt perhaps.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14714 on: April 25, 2024, 08:19:32 am »
It's like that finish where he chips a 6-foot-plus keeper. That finish looks world class but if he attempted that finish 10 times in a row how many times does that go in? 5? 6? You're not going for the percentage finish, you either go for the spectacular or putting your foot through the ball when 9 times out of 10 a bread and butter finish is going to pay dividends more often than not. This is Nunez's second season, if the 'chaos merchant' tag was ever funny it's not funny now. Fuck chaos I want control.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #14715 on: April 25, 2024, 08:22:56 am »
Too handy an option off the bench to settle for that. Get 40m for him and use it better this time. Someone would be willing to take a punt perhaps.

Agreed. But thats a loss on what we paid. Which I think will happen, as I think fees have come down since 2 yrs ago (I think this summer will bite hard on FFP etc)
But seems alot of posters are saying he is crap, so lets sell him fo 65M and start again. Which I think is very ambitious
He Is certainly much less in demand that he was 2 yrs ago when he was the hot thing in European football

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14716 on: April 25, 2024, 08:25:53 am »
I can’t believe hit it straight at Pickford when a simple side foot into corner brings us level.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14717 on: April 25, 2024, 08:27:03 am »
His confidence is shot unfortunately. I havent played football but i have played Tennis and anytime you lose confidence, you are hitting it down the centre of the court with as much pace as possible.

The chance wasnt hard, he was close to the centre of the goal, no defender ahead of him just Pickford, who himself was rooted to the spot and with a huge gap to his right to aim at.

Second half as well we just didnt involve him at all.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14718 on: April 25, 2024, 08:30:30 am »
For the record, I don't have a problem with Nunez being here next season but not as the first choice.

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14719 on: April 25, 2024, 08:31:28 am »

I think he'll command a pretty hefty fee still - he's quite young.