Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 603573 times)

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #4640 on: October 24, 2023, 07:00:34 pm »
You've also got Buyers club which does really nice pasta and pizza plus it's a cool bar.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4641 on: October 25, 2023, 08:47:15 am »
You've also got Buyers club which does really nice pasta and pizza plus it's a cool bar.

+1 I think it under the radar a little. Butter beans dish is tremendous & great wine selection.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #4642 on: October 25, 2023, 09:23:05 am »
Cheers for the recommendations, will check some of these out

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4643 on: October 25, 2023, 10:50:16 am »

Had a drink in the courtyard there last spring but based on this I’ll check the food out.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 08:07:10 pm by So… Howard Philips »

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #4644 on: October 31, 2023, 05:39:03 pm »
Went to 8 by Andrew Sheridan for a second visit a few weeks ago. As poncy as it may be to describe going to a restaurant as an 'experience' that's exactly the fact of the matter.
It's a tasting menu with a chef's table set-up (with Andy literally cooking in front of us) and for me is the best 3-4 hours you could spend in a restaurant in the city.

The food is absolutely exquisite - it's interesting but accessible (he's not an offal man) and the service and overall feel is like spending time with people you've been mates with for years. Andy and the rest of the team tell various stories about life, food and the business itself, but it's not contrived in any way (or *too* casual) and in true cheffy style comes complete with swearing. If that sort of thing is not for you then just sit back and enjoy the food and they'll engage with you as little or as much as you want them to.

We also took the wine flight and along with numerous pre-meal drinks between the four of us the bill came in slightly north of a grand, but other than the usual pleasantly drunk "we could have gone on holiday for that" post-restaurant comments we all agreed it was worth it. If you're a bit more frugal you could skip the wine flight and pre-drinks and at that point it's not coming in at not much more than the likes of Manifest but there really is no comparison in terms of the overall experience.

Just for context the week before we'd done four days in London taking in five different Michelin-starred restaurants (plus Yannick Alléno's new gaff in the Four Seasons which is pretty much guaranteed a place in the guide next year). All brilliant with some outstanding dishes and service but none of those places particularly outshone 8.

If it's not the first restaurant in the city to win a star I'll eat my hat.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4645 on: November 3, 2023, 11:42:06 am »
Went to 8 by Andrew Sheridan for a second visit a few weeks ago. As poncy as it may be to describe going to a restaurant as an 'experience' that's exactly the fact of the matter.
It's a tasting menu with a chef's table set-up (with Andy literally cooking in front of us) and for me is the best 3-4 hours you could spend in a restaurant in the city.

The food is absolutely exquisite - it's interesting but accessible (he's not an offal man) and the service and overall feel is like spending time with people you've been mates with for years. Andy and the rest of the team tell various stories about life, food and the business itself, but it's not contrived in any way (or *too* casual) and in true cheffy style comes complete with swearing. If that sort of thing is not for you then just sit back and enjoy the food and they'll engage with you as little or as much as you want them to.

We also took the wine flight and along with numerous pre-meal drinks between the four of us the bill came in slightly north of a grand, but other than the usual pleasantly drunk "we could have gone on holiday for that" post-restaurant comments we all agreed it was worth it. If you're a bit more frugal you could skip the wine flight and pre-drinks and at that point it's not coming in at not much more than the likes of Manifest but there really is no comparison in terms of the overall experience.

Just for context the week before we'd done four days in London taking in five different Michelin-starred restaurants (plus Yannick Alléno's new gaff in the Four Seasons which is pretty much guaranteed a place in the guide next year). All brilliant with some outstanding dishes and service but none of those places particularly outshone 8.

Thanks for that, had my eye on it since I saw it opened and Lerpwl shut. That's the only place I have been in Liverpool that I have had an experience like that at, rather than just the tasting menu.

Will be going here in the near future off the back of your review!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4646 on: November 3, 2023, 10:13:41 pm »
Thanks for that, had my eye on it since I saw it opened and Lerpwl shut. That's the only place I have been in Liverpool that I have had an experience like that at, rather than just the tasting menu.

And me, cheers!

Went to Mays Thai Kitchen in Childwall for first time tonight.

Really good night. Busy neighbourhood restaurant with really good food - best Thai food I’ve eaten in Liverpool by a mile.

It’s very busy, and not somewhere for a special occasion, but the staff are dead nice and there’s a really nice buzz about the place.

Two courses, and a couple of glasses of wine, £30 a head. Bargain, it’s a great little place.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4647 on: November 4, 2023, 08:34:29 am »
Pho is bangin

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #4648 on: November 5, 2023, 06:57:56 pm »

I'm confident you'll enjoy it.
Just as a money-saving tip they're on buyagift and virgin experience days and you can buy a booking through there at 20% (I think) off. There's a subsidy for weekend bookings but still knocks a good few quid off.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4649 on: November 10, 2023, 12:28:39 pm »
Lu Ban has closed down. Cant say I was ever interested in their concept of fine dining chinese. Especially when you have to step over the irish bar crowds to get there. Plus when there are far more places in town that are nicer (and cheaper), they were always going to struggle

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4650 on: November 10, 2023, 10:45:52 pm »
Lu Ban has closed down. Cant say I was ever interested in their concept of fine dining chinese. Especially when you have to step over the irish bar crowds to get there. Plus when there are far more places in town that are nicer (and cheaper), they were always going to struggle

I didn’t like it. Not sure if it was what we ordered, or just the usual quality, but felt like a slightly nicer chinese, but massively over inflated prices. The fact you could hear a mass of noise every time someone opened the door didn’t help!

Shame to see another place shut down though, Liverpool struggles for finer dining places and needs a good food scene with local chefs at the head of them. Too many hidden chains around now.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4651 on: November 11, 2023, 12:11:42 am »
Renshaw food market looks class

==

The post have a good article on our criminal lack of Michelin stars - which is not because of the quality of the food
https://www.livpost.co.uk/p/liverpool-remains-a-michelin-star?r=2f8uaj

Glad it touches on a good restaurant not needing a star - laughed at the mention of overgentrified Manchester and its so-top-end-you're-priced-out restaurants. Is right

Whether that everyday-ness, a theme for a few of Liverpool’s best restaurants, causes it to escape the Michelin attention remains to be seen. Industry insiders will often say that the parred-back simplicity of some of Liverpool’s best venues is probably part of the reason for the lack of Michelin interest. But Manifest has won accolades already in its short life (it has two AA stars) and does feature in the Michelin guide.

When Durand started cooking in his late teens, he knew his progression would eventually hit a ceiling in Liverpool. “There wasn’t much out there if you wanted to learn,” he says. “You had to move away to train”. He worked as a stagiaire (an industry term for a chef who works, briefly, for free in a high-quality kitchen to earn his stripes) in Oxford, before moving on to a Michelin-star restaurant in Edinburgh and forming part of the opening team at Moor Hall, one of the Aughton stable, which currently has two stars and many believe will add a third. After all of that, Durand arrived back in Liverpool with a desire to implement what he had learned on his travels. Were he to be starting out again now, there might be no need to leave in the first place.

According to most, the current leader of the pack is Andrew Sheridan, who runs the restaurant “8 by Andrew Sheridan” on Cook Street. Sheridan tells me that while Michelin is a “big talking point” it’s not his main motivator. “I am primarily interested in having contented diners and a busy restaurant and, I'm pleased to say that so far, I think we are achieving that,” he says.

When I get me xmas bonus, I'm planning to eat out every day for a week - bet I eat well!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 11:58:02 am by ToneLa »

Offline redman1974

• Legacy Fan
  • scottkop105 on twitter My new number 07511165355
« Reply #4652 on: November 11, 2023, 09:15:57 pm »
Went to the the picture drome akshaya for a indian tonight in Kenny with my mrs,been meaning to go for ages after hearing good things about it. Lovely place with great food and friendly staff and decent prices. Will 100% be going back

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #4653 on: November 16, 2023, 10:02:43 pm »
In the Pot last week.  Outstanding fish.
Kill the humourless

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4654 on: November 19, 2023, 04:51:00 pm »
Tried Kokoro for the first time this week, went for a mix of Katsu Chicken Curry and Sweet+Chili Chicken with rice. Very nice.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #4655 on: December 1, 2023, 03:33:28 am »
I'm up in Liverpool a few times this month. Would like any recommendations on any new veggie/vegan restaurants in city centre, for dinner & breakfast. Or is it the same old places?

Open to most cuisines but rather not burgers or pizza.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4656 on: December 2, 2023, 06:52:50 pm »

Sublime place. What an addition to the cities food scene.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4657 on: December 2, 2023, 10:18:16 pm »
I'm up in Liverpool a few times this month. Would like any recommendations on any new veggie/vegan restaurants in city centre, for dinner & breakfast. Or is it the same old places?

Not sure if you're aware of Sanskruti - but that's a boss vegetarian Indian restaurant in the city centre. Great place; the food is fantastic. Loads of vegan options too.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4658 on: December 16, 2023, 08:45:49 pm »
Had my Christmas do at the Florist yesterday. Food was lovely and staff were great

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4659 on: December 16, 2023, 08:56:07 pm »
Finally got to Hawksmoor last Sunday. Rare Chateaubriand for 2 with the trimmings. Fantastic beef and the best roasties and Yorkshire's I’ve ever had. Smashed plenty of cocktails too. Wasn’t cheap but it was a great lunch. Almost Half the bill was booze to be fair.  :D

First time in Mowgli Water street last weekend too. Lovely food and atmosphere but maybe a little overpriced for the portions. I remember them being bigger on Bold street but that’s maybe my memory playing tricks on me.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4660 on: December 16, 2023, 08:56:53 pm »
Not sure if you're aware of Sanskruti - but that's a boss vegetarian Indian restaurant in the city centre. Great place; the food is fantastic. Loads of vegan options too.

Finally trying here in the week. Looking forward to it.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #4661 on: December 16, 2023, 10:41:21 pm »
Lunya Hanover St lunchtime today with Mrs LS. Been plenty of times and there’s always plenty of new dishes and old favourites.

Today we had Bread and olives, selection of tapas including sea bass, chiperones ,mushrooms fidua, morcilla, Iberico Bellota and Patatas Bravas. Couple of beers and glass of white Rioja, £100 inc tip.Great way to finish off some Xmas shopping.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4662 on: January 1, 2024, 10:18:06 pm »
Went back to Mays Thai in Childwall the other night.

Very good food and service again, but swerving it in future.

Found out the owners keep all of the service charge they stick on the bill, and any tips paid by card. Greedy twats.

We refused to pay the service charge when we found out (someone on our table asked the waiter outright) and gave the waiter a cash tip instead.

Snide fucking tactics by the owners that, so we won’t be going back.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4663 on: January 1, 2024, 10:20:43 pm »
Finally got to Hawksmoor last Sunday. Rare Chateaubriand for 2 with the trimmings. Fantastic beef and the best roasties and Yorkshire's I’ve ever had. Smashed plenty of cocktails too. Wasn’t cheap but it was a great lunch. Almost Half the bill was booze to be fair.  :D

First time in Mowgli Water street last weekend too. Lovely food and atmosphere but maybe a little overpriced for the portions. I remember them being bigger on Bold street but that’s maybe my memory playing tricks on me.

Not been to the Hawksmoor in town but did go to the one in Seven Dials in London the other week.

Very impressed.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #4664 on: January 7, 2024, 12:32:42 pm »
Went to Cargo Seafood last night on Princes Parade, proper good food. Mrs shooters had Scallops to start while I had mussels in a white wine and cream sauce. Both excellent. She wanted oysters too but they weren’t available which was disappointing, the waiter said there were none at market, nor clams.

She had kerelean fish curry for mains (monkfish fillets and tiger prawns) while I had chef’s recommendation spicy tomato and prawn pasta. Really good cooking on the fish/prawns and both sauces were decent without being spectacular.

£105 including 2 cocktails, a large glass of red and a mocktail. Service included.
Believer

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4665 on: January 8, 2024, 10:09:19 am »
Best restaurant for Valentines Day?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4666 on: January 8, 2024, 10:56:34 pm »
Best restaurant for Valentines Day?

I believe Greggs Doorway, is the best place to take the love of your life and show her how much you love her.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4667 on: January 9, 2024, 12:17:51 pm »
I believe Greggs Doorway, is the best place to take the love of your life and show her how much you love her.

And what pray tell is wrong with the cafe in Asda?

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4668 on: January 25, 2024, 09:43:40 pm »
anyone been to antonio's bar and grill in knowsley village?

it has great ratings but the comments from the owners to the bad ones  ;D

Better late than never lol but finally got to visit this evening.

Now feeling annoyed I haven’t been before. The food and service were fantastic.

Starters and mains for two, with a nice bottle of Merlot and a couple of bottles of Inedit Damm, and bill came to just under £80.

Bargain, the food was top notch. Highly recommended and defo going back soon.

Offline benitezexpletives

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4669 on: January 30, 2024, 10:10:43 am »
Anyone recommend a decent brekky place in town? Thinking of swerving the hotel breakfast next time we're up for a game

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #4670 on: January 30, 2024, 10:30:20 am »
Anyone recommend a decent brekky place in town? Thinking of swerving the hotel breakfast next time we're up for a game

Give Hardware a go.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4671 on: January 30, 2024, 10:59:28 am »
Went in Cafe Tabac top of Bold St. on Sunday morning for a small full English, went down a treat, not too pricey.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4672 on: January 30, 2024, 12:41:02 pm »
I've had steak in many places in different countries, but the ribeye I had last night at the Restaurant Bar & Grill on Brunswick St was definitely up there. Was very pleasantly surprised just how good it was.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #4673 on: January 30, 2024, 03:34:08 pm »
I've had steak in many places in different countries, but the ribeye I had last night at the Restaurant Bar & Grill on Brunswick St was definitely up there. Was very pleasantly surprised just how good it was.

Thats good to hear - reckon I had one of the best steaks in there up there with anything in London or the US. Then last time I went it was absolutley awful and said id never go back!

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4674 on: January 30, 2024, 03:49:22 pm »

Shiraz does the best breakfast in town. Hands down

Offline benitezexpletives

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4675 on: January 30, 2024, 05:16:32 pm »
Flat iron steak at the Cowshed was up there last time I visited

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4676 on: February 6, 2024, 03:48:36 pm »

'the vibe' seems to be the one everyone recommends but i'm a bit tired of all these places that basically just serve junk food lol

vegan scouse at homebaked is still my fave thing to eat in Liverpool. just wish there was more healthy veg-friendly places around.
YNWA.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4677 on: February 6, 2024, 05:36:44 pm »
No michelin stars in Liverpool for another year. Nothing for Roski or 8 By Andrew Sheridan

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4678 on: February 7, 2024, 06:29:37 pm »
No michelin stars in Liverpool for another year. Nothing for Roski or 8 By Andrew Sheridan

Not sure why a tyre company gets the final say on stuff like this.

Anyhow went into Tiger Rock on renshaw street last week, really good Asian food. Got 3 of the small plates they do which was  plenty for an evening meal.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4679 on: February 7, 2024, 08:26:42 pm »
Anyone been to Cargo and what's it like?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family