Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 556956 times)

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
Re: Realistically, is it just a battle for 4th spot with 2 other teams now?
« Reply #1280 on: February 11, 2014, 09:41:59 pm »
Dim Sherwood thinks his Spurs team can afford to lose up to 5 of their remaining games and STILL qualify for the CL!! Also says that Southampton, Newcastle and UTD have a chance! Surely he cant be for real??  :o

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9161594/tim-sherwood-believes-tottenham-can-make-champions-league-even-with-five-more-defeats

Sherwood has lost just one of his nine league fixtures since replacing Andre Villas-Boas as head coach, albeit a 5-1 rout by Manchester City, but feels he could afford to see his side lose several more games in the run-in.

"I haven't looked at it, maths isn't my strong point but I would say we can only possibly afford to lose four or five games maybe of what we have got left. That would be a huge tally," he said ahead of Wednesday's game at Newcastle.

When asked if nine wins from their remaining 13 games would be enough, Sherwood replied: "It could well be, no one is dropping points are they. Someone could drop a couple but big rivals like Liverpool are flying and we need them to trip up, that is for sure.

"We're looking upwards rather than behind us but we know it will be tough and there are teams behind us capable of putting a run together and sneaking fourth.

"It will go to the wire. I don't think anything will be secured until the last month of the season. I would say Newcastle have to consider themselves in it and possibly Southampton, Manchester United for sure.

"Our target is fourth place and it always has been, if we can get higher than that then great but it is the target we are looking for."
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1281 on: February 11, 2014, 09:48:00 pm »
Fuck this. I'm being positive. We'll win it. Chelsea losing points in the final minutes. Its written in the stars. Suarez will have his bite at the trophy this year.

Lets fucking win it, god knows we've suffered enough. Now fucking hold on you jammy bastards brum.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: February 11, 2014, 09:51:42 pm »
Fuck this. I'm being positive. We'll win it. Chelsea losing points in the final minutes. Its written in the stars. Suarez will have his bite at the trophy this year.

Lets fucking win it, god knows we've suffered enough. Now fucking hold on you jammy bastards brum.

Great to see you finally get behind the team. We will be closing in on the title in by April.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1283 on: February 11, 2014, 09:59:46 pm »
Trying not to get carried away but Rodgers and the players are making me dream again.  With Chelsea dropping points tonight we can push a bit closer to the top of the league tomorrow, we're definitely in the race and that's more than I honestly expected from us this season.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: February 11, 2014, 10:00:07 pm »
None of the away games in this league are easy. All the top teams have been dropping "silly" points and a point at WBA could be considered a "par" result for Chelsea despite the moans and groans of our draw there a couple of weeks back.

I'm just delighted the buzz is back and growing.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1285 on: February 11, 2014, 10:03:31 pm »
I think we're in a title race now.

4 points off Chelsea - if we beat them, all we have to do is match their results and get an extra point from somewhere.

Exactly the same for City.

Arsenal will take care of themselves, they have a run of away games that goes Munich, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs and then City at home. Of those league games, I wouldn't be surprised if they emerge with just 1-4 points.

Brendan must realise that there is a Premier League title there for the taking this year. Mourinho keeps dropping points and City are shit without Aguero.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1286 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:17 pm »
I think we're in a title race now.

4 points off Chelsea - if we beat them, all we have to do is match their results and get an extra point from somewhere.

Exactly the same for City.

Arsenal will take care of themselves, they have a run of away games that goes Munich, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs and then City at home. Of those league games, I wouldn't be surprised if they emerge with just 1-4 points.

Brendan must realise that there is a Premier League title there for the taking this year. Mourinho keeps dropping points and City are shit without Aguero.

it's fucking great isn't it. Great season for so many different reasons. Win our next few games and we are right in it
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1287 on: February 11, 2014, 10:13:48 pm »
Why are people saying our aim should be 4th? We aren't fucking Arsenal, WE ARE LIVERPOOL. If we beat Arsenal on Saturday, we will be maximum 6 points off the top. We still have both Chelsea and City at Anfield. Is it unreasonable to believe we are capable of winning those games? Is it unreasonable to believe we are incapable of overturning a 3 point gap if we did win them?

Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #1288 on: February 11, 2014, 10:14:28 pm »
tomorrow's game is a cl final as far as I am concerned with what happened to Chelsea. In 24 hrs time we could be ONLY 4 points off the top. I hope our squad was watching Chelsea so they can smell more blood. Luis must be for sure. If only the arse draw with the manc, both loosing points would be brilliant. I am feeling very tense like back before Istanbul. Tomorrow is massive for us.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline willo91

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1289 on: February 11, 2014, 10:15:59 pm »
It's a crazy premier league this season! Maybe we can just be the craziest and do it, take it game by game and add it up at the end. Hopefully it'll be enough, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility especially considering how teams keep dropping points every week. We just need to sort our away form out and keep up this home form then see what happens.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #1290 on: February 11, 2014, 10:18:56 pm »
Win the next game and we can look up - anything else and we're still looking over our shoulders in the race for 4th.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: February 11, 2014, 10:21:53 pm »
I am going to wait till this time tomorrow to decide if we in a title race.  :P

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #1292 on: February 11, 2014, 10:22:30 pm »
With Lucas, Agger, Sakho and Johnson all coming back and Sterling and Coutinho going up a level we deffo have a chance if SAS can stay fit.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1293 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:11 pm »
Chelsea have Everton and Tottenham in amongst Champion League and Cup fixtures. If those two teams could pinch draws it's possible for us to be ahead of them before they come to Anfield.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1294 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:57 pm »
win tomorrow it is game well and truly on.it is that simple
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #1295 on: February 11, 2014, 10:24:18 pm »
We just need to concentrate and get the win anyway we can. Pleaseeeee god! I was hoping for an Arsenal win tomorrow as well to bury the Mancs but a draw will be the perfect result for us as long as we pick up the three points. Same team, same pressing and hoping same amount of goals scored! Wishful thinking but if we can keep holtby and Sidwell quiet we have a great chance to put a few goals past them as long as they don't park the bus and use Richardsons pace against flanagan/cisskho..

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: February 11, 2014, 10:26:14 pm »
Good thing as well after this match is we go to one game per week, and as long as we can avoid injury you would expect our players can avoid any tiredness the other sides will get from repeating games.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #1297 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:03 pm »
Take 10 points from the next 4 games, then I'll start to dream, until then settle for the top 4.
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #1298 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:39 pm »
Good thing as well after this match is we go to one game per week, and as long as we can avoid injury you would expect our players can avoid any tiredness the other sides will get from repeating games.
As long as we don't go to a replay with Arsenal!
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #1299 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:54 pm »
We just need to concentrate and get the win anyway we can. Pleaseeeee god! I was hoping for an Arsenal win tomorrow as well to bury the Mancs but a draw will be the perfect result for us as long as we pick up the three points. Same team, same pressing and hoping same amount of goals scored! Wishful thinking but if we can keep holtby and Sidwell quiet we have a great chance to put a few goals past them as long as they don't park the bus and use Richardsons pace against flanagan/cisskho..

United have no chance. Put all your prayers/wishes into a United win. We need the teams above us dropping points, the teams below us aren't good enough.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: February 11, 2014, 10:36:00 pm »
A great chance for us tomorrow, though if officials could do their job properly we'd be top already but were disgracefully robbed at City and Chelsea.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: February 11, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »
United have no chance. Put all your prayers/wishes into a United win. We need the teams above us dropping points, the teams below us aren't good enough.

We don't need them to drop the points instantly. Our results matter right now; Arsenal have many tough games to come. An Arsenal loss tomorrow doesn't give us the title; an Arsenal win doesn't rule us out.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline flinner

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
"We've created an environment where a complete moron can not only survive, but thrive."

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #1303 on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:17 pm »
it's unprecedented for a team to go from 7th to win the title.  Manu are champions, currently 7th.
dios esta buena

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1304 on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:26 pm »
Walker moved the ball about five yards away from where the foul took place. If he'd moved it five yards forward, no way would it have been allowed.

actually walker didn't even touch the ball, he just walked up and kicked it after barry had placed it

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #1305 on: February 11, 2014, 10:58:06 pm »
We don't need them to drop the points instantly. Our results matter right now; Arsenal have many tough games to come. An Arsenal loss tomorrow doesn't give us the title; an Arsenal win doesn't rule us out.

Surely the preference is for the teams above us to not gain any points, rather than just 1. I wasn't trying to convey a sense of urgency.

Tomorrow, if either Arsenal or City fail to win (meaning, even draws included) and we win against Fulham; it will have been a great few days.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline carra1892

• Kopite
  • G+H, fucking c*nts
« Reply #1306 on: February 11, 2014, 10:58:55 pm »
We have never been in a title race. The moment we lost against Hull City (3-1) in December it was clear to see imo. Then the draws against Villa and West Brom prove to me that we are definitely not a title winning team. Also if we are really, really a title winning team, then we should have won against City, as that game was clearly one where we could have won (based on our performance). I expected us to lose against City and Chelsea and I wouldn't mind it, had we won against Hull, Villa and West Brom. It's about those kind of games. Add to that, some point against your big rivals and you got a team competing for the title.

It's a race for fourth and there are lots of games left. There is still Tottenham and Everton. It would be crazy if Tottenham even comes close, but who knows? If they win their game against us then the momentum may be with them and problems may arise.
So I suggest we keep our feet on the ground, one good result against Arsenal changes nothing. It's the same 3 points as winning against Stoke and Norwich City. We just aren't consistent enough to win the title which is a shame. Because we had some games we clearly could win, had we been a bit smarter..
Dutch Red Patrick

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #1307 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:46 pm »
it's unprecedented for a team to go from 7th to win the title.  Manu are champions, currently 7th.

Someone has to do it sometime  ;)
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Online wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1309 on: February 11, 2014, 11:04:22 pm »
So, who takes fourth if offered now?

I wouldn't.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #1310 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:15 pm »
We have never been in a title race. The moment we lost against Hull City (3-1) in December it was clear to see imo. Then the draws against Villa and West Brom prove to me that we are definitely not a title winning team. Also if we are really, really a title winning team, then we should have won against City, as that game was clearly one where we could have won (based on our performance). I expected us to lose against City and Chelsea and I wouldn't mind it, had we won against Hull, Villa and West Brom. It's about those kind of games. Add to that, some point against your big rivals and you got a team competing for the title.

It's a race for fourth and there are lots of games left. There is still Tottenham and Everton. It would be crazy if Tottenham even comes close, but who knows? If they win their game against us then the momentum may be with them and problems may arise.
So I suggest we keep our feet on the ground, one good result against Arsenal changes nothing. It's the same 3 points as winning against Stoke and Norwich City. We just aren't consistent enough to win the title which is a shame. Because we had some games we clearly could win, had we been a bit smarter..

You say that, but Chelsea drew against West Ham and now WBA, Man City lost against Chelsea and drew against Norwich and Arsenal have just recieved a good hiding from us.
We are in the thick of it!!! plus on top of that we are the leagues 2nd top goal scorers and a GD to rival any title winning side.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:07:31 pm by FitzLFC80 »
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1311 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:53 pm »
Well it just got interesting.  Truth is it is still very very unlikely. We need to win minimum 11 of our remaining 13 games imo, as while the others will drop points, they surely won't drop that many.  Plus I was so certain we'd win the title in 2008/09, it just felt like our time, that when it didn't happen it made me much much more cautious.

But hey... it's awesome to be fighting for something at the business end of the season.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1312 on: February 11, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »
Surely the preference is for the teams above us to not gain any points, rather than just 1. I wasn't trying to convey a sense of urgency.

Tomorrow, if either Arsenal or City fail to win (meaning, even draws included) and we win against Fulham; it will have been a great few days.

Agreed (though I'd actually be slightly concerned about added pressure, if all three sides above us dropped more points quickly and we went top with 10 games still to go, for instance). I think an Arsenal draw would be perfect, personally.

I generally dislike the focus on rivals' immediate form, which always leads to "City/Chelsea are going to walk it" after a few good results, followed by "collapse" if they drop a couple. The season's 38 games. The champions are likely to have a points total beginning with an 8. Our points total is within our control and should be our focus.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1313 on: February 11, 2014, 11:06:34 pm »
We have never been in a title race. The moment we lost against Hull City (3-1) in December it was clear to see imo. Then the draws against Villa and West Brom prove to me that we are definitely not a title winning team.
If dropping points to the likes of West Brom and Villa means you cant win the league then who is going to exactly? Cant be Chelsea, City or Arsenal.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #1314 on: February 11, 2014, 11:06:49 pm »
One game at a time  :boxhead :scarf
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #1315 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:48 pm »

Bollocks, we are averaging 2 points a game throughout the whole season. Pretty consistent if you ask me. With almost a fully fit squad to come back and a massive improvement in players like Flanagan, Sterling and Coutinho I don't see why we can't improve on that 2 points per game in our last 13 matches. If we do that, it's on

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1316 on: February 11, 2014, 11:09:42 pm »
Well it just got interesting.  Truth is it is still very very unlikely. We need to win minimum 11 of our remaining 13 games imo, as while the others will drop points, they surely won't drop that many.  Plus I was so certain we'd win the title in 2008/09, it just felt like our time, that when it didn't happen it made me much much more cautious.

But hey... it's awesome to be fighting for something at the business end of the season.
Remember we have to play City AND Chelsea at Anfield, as long as we carry on playing the same way against Everton and Arsenal we can do this! We're just as good as any other team in the Prem and we've shown that time and time again, yes we may have cocked up a bit in a few games, but so have all the other big clubs, that's just part of football!
Come on you red men!

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1317 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:26 pm »
Crazy to see that Spurs are only 3 points behind us and that's after suffering a 'catastrophic' setback with the AVB fiasco and getting pumped by City and us. Just crazy.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1318 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »

One spectacularly shite manager has made them go from first so seventh. One of the best young managers in the world is taking us from seventh to...

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #1319 on: February 11, 2014, 11:13:11 pm »
If all else fails and we manage to fall away at the last hurdle and we end up finishing 4th, then we have achieved what we set out to do in the first place.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19