Author Topic: LFC vs Norwich City FA Cup 4th Round Anfield 14:30 hrs Sun 28 Jan 2024  (Read 8906 times)

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
I am writing this just after our draw against Fulham that has got us to Wembley to play Chelsea in the League Cup final.
So, on Sunday we are back to the FA Cup after our win against Arsenal in early January.
I asked to do this op because I lived near Norwich for nearly thirty years before moving back home. My daughters were brought up Reds and both live in Liverpool now, but still speak with a bit of a Norfolk drawl!
Some stats for you, over the years we have beaten them 41 times, drawn 15 times and lost 14 times.
My first trip to Carrow Rd was to watch us lose 1-0 in May 1993, but over the years our record against them was great and I was able to witness two Suarez hat tricks and a 5-4 as well as a close win in 2014 when we thought we were going to win the league. It is OK being known as a Red in Norwich 👍.
At home, their memorable game was beating us on the last match in front of the standing Kop. They have not beaten us since!
The last time we played them was two years ago in the FA Cup and we won 2-1 in an uncomfortable game before we went on to win the trophy. Taki scored both our goals.
Norwich are eighth this season in the Championship on 41 points after 29 matches and have a +2 goal difference having lost 1-0 to Leeds tonight. Their manager is Jurgen’s mate, David Wagner.
We ought to win this and I will be at Anfield hoping to see us do so. What team we play is the only reason for any concern as we are at home to twelve man Chelsea next Wednesday night.
I expect Virgil, Gomez, McAllister and Nunez to start on the bench. We have Trent, Robbo and Szoboszlai coming back, do they start?
I assume Allison will be back in goal and expect to see Quansah and Konate as centre backs. Not sure who the full backs will be, could be Beck and Chambers starting and Trent and Robbo to come on, or the reverse.
Midfield likely to be Jones as the six, Elliott and either Dom, Clark or Gravenberch and I think it will be Jota, Gakpo and Gordon up front.
Difficult to predict, based on who did ninety today, thoughts?
Norwich have a lively lad called Rowe we need to be aware of as well as Sargent, who scored against us last time.
Pretty sure we will win and hope we use this to manage the return of those who were injured effectively. Expect Jota will be decisive.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:38:57 pm by RogerTheRed »
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC vs Norwich City FA Cup 4th Round Anfield 14:30 hrs Sun 28 Jan 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 10:37:44 pm »
Hopefully Norwich might be in for a nasty surprise from our team sheet considering the players we need to play back into fitness.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 10:55:56 pm »
Hopefully minutes for Trent, Robbo and Dom.
Hopefully rests for Mac, VVD, Gomez, Diaz.

Chelsea 3 days later, and they’ll have two extra days rest.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 11:11:52 pm »
I’d like to see Gomez get a rest. He’s played a lot recently for a player with a history of picking up injuries and we have another game he’s needed for midweek. I’d be sharing the left back minutes between Beck and Robbo and go something like the following:.

Kelleher
Bradley Konate Quansah Beck
Grav McConnell Jones
Gordon Jota Gakpo

Robbo and Clark to get minutes off the bench. In reality though I think Klopp may go for Mac over McConnell and Diaz or Nunez in the front 3 instead of Gordon.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 11:13:20 pm »
Norwich lost 1-0 at Leeds tonight, chances are they'll make changes for this too as league football is more important for them. We should be able to field a strong team with changes.

Kelleher
Trent   Quansah   Konate   Robbo
Gravenberch   Clark   Elliot
Gordon   Jota   Gakpo

Something like that, should end up being quite strong. If Trent can't do 90 then start/bring on Bradley. Same with Beck for Robertson. Minutes for Szoboszlai would be nice too. Five changes so the likes of Konate don't have to play 90. To be honest, I don't think fitness should be a huge issue right now providing you're not injured. There hasn't been a pile up of games and rotation here should help. Will get a bit harder in February but for the time being we should manage with players coming back.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 11:15:05 pm »
I’d like to see Gomez get a rest. He’s played a lot recently for a player with a history of picking up injuries and we have another game he’s needed for midweek. I’d be sharing the left back minutes between Beck and Robbo and go something like the following:.

Kelleher
Bradley Konate Quansah Beck
Grav McConnell Jones
Gordon Jota Gakpo

Robbo and Clark to get minutes off the bench. In reality though I think Klopp may go for Mac over McConnell and Diaz or Nunez in the front 3 instead of Gordon.

Bradley needs a rest too? Don't get me wrong but a kid to play 3 times in one week with that intensity is asking alot. I would start Robertson and maybe try Beck at right back?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 11:15:43 pm »
Jürgen Klopp reaches his ninth final as Liverpool manager.

On average that's more than one a season while he's been at the club.

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 06:45:56 am »
It’s all on whether Robertson will be available to start against Chelsea. If he is , one of gomez or Bradley will play against Norwich and the other will get rested. If both need to start against Chelsea they might share the 90 at right back against Norwich . Not sure if Trent will come back in time to be in contention to start midweek.

In midfield we need to protect Mac and jones and give Dom minutes. Against Chelsea and Arsenal we will need that midfield 3.

Upfront again Nunez and Jota are key so I expect Gakpo and diaz to get minutes against Norwich

Alisson
Bradley Qansah Konate Robertson
Grav Dom Clark
Elliott Gakpo Diaz

With beck for robbo, Jones for Dom and Jota or Nunez only if required on 70 minutes

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 04:26:51 pm »
That midfield looks right - though not sure who is holding/DM.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 04:49:51 pm »
Referee: Sam Barrott
Assistant referees: Marc Perry and Mark Stevens
Fourth official: Craig Pawson
VAR: Tim Robinson
Support VAR: Stuart Attwell
Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 04:51:00 pm »
This please

Kelleher

Bradley          Gomez          Quansah          Beck

Elliot          McConnell          Gravenberch

Gordon          Gakpo          Clark

Sub to split 45 minutes: Gomez for Konate [or VVD for one of these two, whoever least fatigued]
Subs for rehab/runout minutes: Robertson, maybe Szoboslai
Subs for their experience: Nyoni
Other subs: Adrian, Nunez, Konate, Jones, Diaz

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2024, 04:51:33 pm »

FFS talk about hiding in plain sight, they’ve got Paul Scholes brother doing our games now
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2024, 05:03:00 pm »
FFS talk about hiding in plain sight, they’ve got Paul Scholes brother doing our games now

At least there's not a Tierny in sight, though! (Probably saving him for the League Cup final mind...)

In any case, I'm confident in any team we put out, even though Norwich will turn into prime Barcelona for one night only.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 05:07:48 pm »
https://twitter.com/michael_reid11/status/1750496021682016501

#LFC 33 games into the season and only one player has played two-thirds or more of the possible mins all comps (Salah, 68.8%).

Every other Prem club has had 4+ players play 2/3rds at least.

191 starting XI changes (6/game), 20 different players on 12+ starts. True squad effort.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2024, 05:16:30 pm »
Rotation FC.

Hopefully means fresher legs towards the end of the year.

Cannot underestimate the impact of having the youth to draw on. Clark, Bradley, Quansah, Beck and a host of others too like Doak and co when they come back. These are names I didn't expect to get regular game time but do so on impressive displays. Utterly fantastic to see.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2024, 05:16:52 pm »
At least there's not a Tierny in sight, though! (Probably saving him for the League Cup final mind...)

In any case, I'm confident in any team we put out, even though Norwich will turn into prime Barcelona for one night only.
The thought crossed my mind about him being put in charge of the final. Hopefully it won’t happen
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 05:17:24 pm »
With some first teamers just getting back, and others likely to be rested before our big games next week, I'm expecting something like the following...

Kelleher
TAA* Konate* Quansah Robertson*
Gravenberch Szobo* Clark
Elliot Jota* Gakpo

*45-55 min subs
TAA->Bradley
Konate->Gomez
Robertson->Beck
Szobo->Jones
Jota->Diaz/Nunez

This gives players like Elliot/Gravenberch/Gakpo added minutes and also gives a few players likely to start next week half a game (TAA/Konate/Szobo/Jota/Jones/Gomez) while the other starters get a week off (Allison, VVD, MacAllister, Nunez).

I'm pretty sure we're looking at the following for the Chelsea game:

Allison
TAA - VVD - Konate - Gomez
Szobo - MacAllister - Jones
Jota - Nunez - Diaz

Also, looking forward to the return of Salah, Endo and Thiago next month and hopefully we can go the last few months without any more injuries as we're going to need everyone for all the competitions we're in.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2024, 05:31:45 pm »
Wouldn't mind "heavy" rotation for this.

Kelleher

Trent Quansah Konate Robertson

Elliott Jones Gravenberch

Gordon Jota Diaz

1. Trent and Robbo need the minutes
2. Jota didn't start the last game.
3. We need Darwin and Mac fresh for the Chelsea game

Honestly,  I'd like a "stroll" where we score two goals early on and see it out. We don't need a big scoreline.

Just win and move on.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:49:08 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 07:00:15 pm »
Expect Beck, Clark, and Gordon to start. Maybe Nat Philips too?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 07:12:54 pm »

Laughable how they think making a pigs ear of a system better is to just throw more people on it to sit behind a screen.

VAR doesn't work - own it and fuck it off.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2024, 09:24:56 am »
To my mind, this is a game where recently injured players should get 30 minutes to see ahead of the game next week.

Kelleher

Gomez Konate Quansah Beck

Gravenberch Macca Jones

Elliott Jota Nunez

Subs
Alisson
Alexander Arnold
Robertson
Van Dijk
Clark
Gakpo
Szoboszlai
Gordon
Justice for the 96!

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2024, 09:49:28 am »
The thought crossed my mind about him being put in charge of the final. Hopefully it won’t happen
I wouldn't be averse to having Anthony Taylor for the final as that would seriously piss off the Chelsea fans  :D

We've seen two Championship teams get battered in the last week by PL opposition, 6-1 and 5-0. If Norwich make major changes and focus on the league, we should be able to win well enough even with a fair few young players starting for us. I think Robertson will get minutes, maybe even the first half, while hopefully, Trent and Szoboszlai will make sub appearances too. I can see Jota starting this actually since he came on as a sub the other night. Jones may also start if he's fit. Whatever the line-up, I am sure we'll see a triple change at around the 60 minute mark!

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2024, 09:53:07 am »
https://twitter.com/michael_reid11/status/1750496021682016501
It feels like we have a squad where every player (barring injury) is in contention to play every week.  There's no lingering senior squad players that sit on the bench week after week before drifting away in the close season.  The youth players have also all stood up really well whenever called upon.  It's why our injuries have hardly got a footnote mention as to watch us you wouldn't really think we had a stack of injuries.

My punt at a line-up:

Kelleher
Bradley - Konaté - Quansah - Robbo
Whoever - Klopp - Thinks
Needs - Game - Time

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2024, 09:56:46 am »
With Chelsea midweek, might not see Konate start this one.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2024, 10:00:58 am »
With Chelsea midweek, might not see Konate start this one.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't start given that he only played 10 or so minutes against Fulham. By the time we play Chelsea, it'll be two and a half weeks without any purposeful football for him if he doesn't.

I think it'll be Konate and Quansah as the CB's. Probably Bradley and Beck either side, unless Robertson has 60 minutes in him.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2024, 10:05:40 am »
Ali, Bradley, Gomez, Quansah, Robbo, Mac, Curtis, Clark, Gakpo, Nunez, Jota.

Nice enough blend and you’d hope more than enough to get a decent enough lead to give some rest to Mac, Curtis and the forwards. Only possible issue is Conor doing the three in a week, only other option would be risking Ibou and shifting big Joe.
AHA!

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2024, 10:08:24 am »
By the time we play Chelsea, it'll be two and a half weeks without any purposeful football for him if he doesn't.

Bit harsh on Bournemouth.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2024, 10:15:26 am »
I reckon Trent may start in midfield for this with no other options to give Macca a rest.

Allison
Bradley
Konate
Quansah
Robbo
Trent
Gravenberch
Clark
Elliott
Jota
Gakpo

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2024, 10:31:08 am »
Cant imagine Trent or Dom would start this if they're only just back in training, Robbo seems more likely with them two maybe getting half hour or so. Kelleher is a no brainer, Bradley and Quansah no brainers, Ibou didnt play much against Fulham so maybe give him an hour. Grav, Clark and Harvey IO think is a nice midfield three and then Gordon, Gapko and Jota again bringing the latter two off for maybe Nunez and Diaz.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2024, 10:34:01 am »
snip

Thanks for that RogerTheRed, but you didn't answer the most important question - why do Norwich and West Country accents sound so similar? Are they related?
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2024, 12:49:12 pm »
So then. The old football. FA cup. Jumpers for goalposts. Football. Nothing to see hear. Just the old football.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2024, 12:51:29 pm »
We have to play every single game like the world depends on it. League, FA Cup, League Cup Final, Europa League. Every match is so important. Was anyway, even more so now. Big shifts required from players and fans alike.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2024, 12:52:55 pm »
We have to play every single game like the world depends on it. League, FA Cup, League Cup Final, Europa League. Every match is so important. Was anyway, even more so now. Big shifts required from players and fans alike.

Why, what's happened

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2024, 01:11:11 pm »
Thanks for that RogerTheRed, but you didn't answer the most important question - why do Norwich and West Country accents sound so similar? Are they related?

All people in those areas are related mate
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2024, 01:22:36 pm »
Lets batter every team from here until the end now.

18-1 to the reds.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2024, 01:51:16 pm »
Gloves are off. Time to stand up.

Smash them all. Make them suffer.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2024, 01:53:41 pm »
Taking my son and daughter (8 and 5), told my wife it would be a quiet game and my daughter will be fine because it isn't a 'big' game.

Funny old world eh

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2024, 01:54:45 pm »
Taking my son and daughter (8 and 5), told my wife it would be a quiet game and my daughter will be fine because it isn't a 'big' game.

Funny old world eh

If you are she have any concerns I’m more than happy for you to take me instead.