Author Topic: Fulham vs Liverpool FC, League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg, 20:00 Wed 24th Jan 2024  (Read 12757 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Fulham vs Liverpool FC
League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg
20:00 Wed 24th Jan 2024
Craven Cottage

Referee: Simon Hooper
Assistant Referees: Adrian Holmes and Simon Long
4th Official: Tony Harrington

Agg. Score 2-1

Is it just me or whenever we visit Craven Cottage I start a little 'Maxiii...Maxi Rodriguez runs down the wing for me' chant in my head? Damn that was a good night. Some nice memories from Craven Cottage I have to say. That Maxi hattrick one was a crazy game alright. 5-2 win, Maxi song, Kenny smiling... just one of those matches under Kenny that was soothing our soul after horrors of Hodgson. Or that amazing Sturridge hattrick in 2013? That was nice as well. Or Yossi's goal, oh boy how could we ever forget that. I watched that on the worst strem ever. I've never seen something so beautiful happen in two dozen dancing pixels. We believed there and then - it's coming, it's happening, no fucking way it isn't. Yeah, good memories. Some not so good ones too, like the very next match after the Maxi-3 game, where we lost 1-0 after Spearing got a red card and then rookie referee Kevin Friend made his name as a twat of the highest order. He proved his reputation many times since then. But mostly it's been a good place for us to go.

We're going back to the Cottage this week, hoping for some more good memories. This team feels like real memory makers in the making. Already this season they've done the impossible many times. No surrender, no letting up. This cup really is there for us to win and I'm certain we will if we make it to the final game. One final hurdle left to overcome.

First match was very good you have to say. After that wobbly start we really grew into it and subs helped us turn it around. Shame it wasn't 3-1 in the end - we sure were close more than once. But it's ok, we go to their ground with draw or win securing our progression. Fulham are well rested having played their last game 9 days ago. I do feel this will probably work in our advantage a bit. Yeah, they are rested - but last nights game allowed us to shake off any rustiness after our break. We'll be ready to rumble from minute one. If ever there was a game where an early goal could kill it off - this is it. So I'm hoping for a strong lineup and a strong start. Put pressure on them early, let's exploit their lack of playing time and hopefully score early. Having both Darwin and Jota score twice last night helps as well. I don't think anyone is afraid any longer that we'll struggle to either score or create in absence of Mo and Trent. Not happening, we'll be all over them.

Not sure if Klopp will rotate and how much. I could see perhaps Gakpo starting instead of Diaz and Gravenberch starting for Jones - but not much more. We're so close to another trophy here, it makes more sense to rotate more against Norwich, who are also objectively weaker than Fulham. In any case, I'm sure we have enough to wrap this one up.

When are we ever recycling that Maxi song?
It's a banger.

Up the Reds.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Makes sense to go with as strong a team as possible and then rotate the squad at the weekend for Norwich. Normally we’d see Kelleher in the Caribao Cup I think but I wonder if the FA Cup game at the weekend changes the thinking somewhat.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
They might be a little undercooked, coming off a break.  Could work in our favour.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Avoid defeat v Fulham for a place in a cup final, should be handling that though I'm sure they'll give it a good go. Hopefully the injuries we get aren't too bad, the two game stretch of Chelsea and Arsenal feels huge, Chelsea are shit but v us it's always a CL final for them.

Get these twatted, I want Darwin to finish it in front of our end second half.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
Any of our injured players likely to be back for this game?

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Thanks for the OP Zlen.

We really could be bare bones for this. Hopefully Diaz and Konate who took significant knocks yesterday are ok for it. Jones I guess is doubtful and not sure anyones due back yet, Szoboszlai maybe?

They’ve given us two decent games at Anfield and they’ve got nothing to lose so this will be no pushover. Given all the injury worries I’d be more than happy to limp over the line with a draw. We can certainly do without extra time.

Expect Kelleher to come in for Alisson, and Gravenberch for Jones if he’s out. The only other possible change is Gakpo in for Diaz.

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
That's a nice memory to evoke, Zlen!  I'm still haunted by the Full-um, Full-um, Full-um droning chant when their dogshit side came and beat us 1-0 at Anfield a few seasons ago (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56227460 - we were three points behind Everton and they had two games in hand after two-thirds of the season  :o)

I've been so impressed by all the fringe and youth players that have come into the team at varying points this season.  There's probably a tipping point where we're too inexperienced, particularly for a game like this, but right now it feels like whatever team Klopp/Ljinders put together is going to get the job done.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Is it just me or whenever we visit Craven Cottage I start a little 'Maxiii...Maxi Rodriguez runs down the wing for me' chant in my head?

For me I'm thinking, libpool top of the league libpool libpool top of the league! after a last minute Yossi strike  ;D

We just have to draw here so hopefully we can do what we need to. Fulham coming onto us will suit us for once we don't have to go searching for a goal...
But i am pretty sure we will still go for it. Gakpo will get the nod, can drop back into mid to help out as there's no need to go for it fully
Think Konate will be given a rest too

Hoping to see some minutes from a player returning from injury - ANYBODY!!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
I cannot wait for this game, after yesterday, the next two should be very easy to enjoy.

The Chelsea game however....
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
what's Trent's situation now?  I don't think he's been in training, but maybe I missed it.

(same for Dom)

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
Just need to get through these next 2 games and hopefully Trent &. Dom are back for Chelsea and Arsenal.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Just win and get to Wembley.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Just win and get to Wembley.

We can draw and do the same.

I would play Ali in goal and maybe rest Konate and Jones.

A lot will depend on the availability of Dom, Trent and Robbo.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 07:38:22 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
We can draw and do the same.

True.

But just Win and get to Wembley...  8)  :wave
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
A win or draw to see us through to Wembley again, please @FootballingGods

Alisson
Bradley   Konate   VVD   Gomez
Mac Allister
Gravenberch   Jones
Jota   Nunez   Gakpo

Should pretty much pick itself, I think Kelleher in goal though, and Jones might be injured now, so replace with Elliot I suppose. They have to come out and get something here which should suit us, first goal would be nice so we can then look to soak up some pressure and hit them with pace on the break.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Will we go VVD and Quansah one game and Konate and Quansah the other? If so, makes sense to go with Virgil for this game, the bigger tie and away from home.

Any chance Tsimikas and Robertson see minutes or is it too early still?

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
Will we go VVD and Quansah one game and Konate and Quansah the other? If so, makes sense to go with Virgil for this game, the bigger tie and away from home.

Yeah, I've had the same thought about rotating our centrebacks like that.
I'm pretty sure the two left backs aren't ready yet, so it's probably Bradley and Gomez as fullbacks for this one, with perhaps Beck coming in against Norwich.
I think the midfield and forward lines will be experienced players only, though someone like Clark or Gordon could well get sub appearances, and a start in the weekend.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan

We have to pick our best 11 for this. We can rotate against Norwich.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
We have to pick our best 11 for this. We can rotate against Norwich.
yeah, we have to push hard to get to the Final, and Fulham are a much bigger test than Norwich.

crazy run of games right now, but it's great to have so much to play for.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Start with a strong lineup. Go for it the first 20 and try and score as many as we can, let em punch themselves out for the rest of it and conserve our energy for the end. Ring the changes in the 2nd half and give it a last hoorah for the last 10 mins when their concentration levels have dropped, they're breathing heavily and they just want to go home. Pull a Kuyt on them.

We should not really need to exert ourselves beyond trying to control the game and defending. Any draw and we're through.

Hopefully, a boring 1-0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:47:21 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If we get to the final we're playing Chelsea. I hate those game raising bastards.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
If we get to the final we're playing Chelsea. I hate those game raising bastards.
So sick of meeting that lot in finals and semis.

We rarely get United, Arsenal or Spurs in semis or finals, going back decades. (or City these days)
But these c*nts... we always run into them. Funny.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:49:52 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
A chance to beat them in a 4th consecutive final :D It's getting embarrassing for them.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice one Zlen, the games are coming thick and fast now until we get a breather after Arsenal.
Obviously all the League games are huge, but so are the Semi Final and FA cup against Norwich.
A bit of rotation; the goalies, Quansah, Szoboszlai (on the bench maybe?), it would be lovely to see Thiago some time.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
This is an important game but if Jones is 50/50 he shouldn’t be risked. The league is the number one priority this season.

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
With no one likely to be back for this game plus Jones in particular being a doubt after the weekend we really might be down to 10-11 senior players being available for this game. I’d be tempted to start Alisson for this just to play it a bit safer given the scoreline but that seems unlikely.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
The manager said that Dom, Robertson and Trent were maybes for this game, you'd hope that at least one of them can make the bench.

If the above is the case then I'd be tempted to start the same team as Sunday with possibly Jones out for Gravenberch if he has picked up an injury, we can then have hopefully one or two of the three players I've mentioned on the bench to be used if necessary.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
The manager said that Dom, Robertson and Trent were maybes for this game, you'd hope that at least one of them can make the bench.

If the above is the case then I'd be tempted to start the same team as Sunday with possibly Jones out for Gravenberch if he has picked up an injury, we can then have hopefully one or two of the three players I've mentioned on the bench to be used if necessary.

Might be that Norwich is used to help these players get back to match fitness.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
With no one likely to be back for this game plus Jones in particular being a doubt after the weekend we really might be down to 10-11 senior players being available for this game. I’d be tempted to start Alisson for this just to play it a bit safer given the scoreline but that seems unlikely.

Think any idea of Alisson starting can be forgotten about - there is zero chance it happens.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Might be that Norwich is used to help these players get back to match fitness.

Probably yeah but if they’re fit you’d imagine they’ll be on the bench at least.

At the end of the day it’s a semi-final away at a good team with a slender lead, I would imagine we’ll have as much on the bench as we can.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Think any idea of Alisson starting can be forgotten about - there is zero chance it happens.

Kelleher has literally scored the winning penalty in this competition. There is no possible situation that somehow calls for Ali.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
According to David Lynch Szob and Robbo have returned to full training. No mention of Trent though.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
According to David Lynch Szob and Robbo have returned to full training. No mention of Trent though.

Robbo in the squad tomorrow as is Curtis. Trent and Dom should be back for the weekend

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
Linders says Jones and Robertson in the squad for Fulham. Trent and Dom should return v Norwich

Online Jm55

• Legacy Fan

Robbo in the squad for the tomorrow, Trent and Dom due back for the weekend.

Jones fit to play tomorrow.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-injury-update-alexander-arnold-jones-robertson-szoboszlai-and-tsimikas

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
Stroll in the park.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
Don't think Jones is fit for this, nor should we risk him. Same for Dom. Playing players on the brink of hamstring or have just recovered from it is a bad idea. Plenty of games coming up and we don't want to aggravate their injury.

Mac Gravenberch Elliott pick themselves for this one. It does feel a bit light defensively unless Grav drops a monstrous performance from nowhere, given his form recently. Or maybe we be creative and play a diamond with Gakpo at the top. I think Jota needs to sit out too, he just came back from an injury and ran his socks off in the last game that I almost felt like he was about to pull his hamstring again during the 8 added minutes.

Edit: just read the updates. Still don't feel confident about starting Jones. "Tension in his hamstring" sounds dangerous.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:13:36 am by PEG2K »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
This is great news.

Fantastic to have Robbo back, good luck shifting Joe out the team Andy :)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
This is great news.

Fantastic to have Robbo back, good luck shifting Joe out the team Andy :)

They can afford to take their time bringing Robbo back, that's the good part of it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
A slender lead, but Fulham have to beat us two nil to progress. They can't sit back unless they think they can win one nil and take it to penalties.

That would be a dangerous ploy for them, as we don't have Salah right now. ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art