Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW – Arsenal FC vs Liverpool FC, Sunday Jan. 7, 2024 – 4:30PM  (Read 17048 times)

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
My brothers mates son got stabbed a short walk from the Arsenal ground about 3 years back, trying to defend his dad. Cameron is a muscular fruit market trader, but was up against a gang. Even so the cowards picked on the young lad. They are gunners fans, so the "No More Red"campaign is poignant to them and us as a family by association. I hope some good has come of the campaign.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Redknight60

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
we have a few injuries in the squad

mo and endo are both missing for january

we should use this match to give the reserves a run out

we are in the semi final of the carling cup so that should be the priority

It's a two legged against a much weaker side and it's at home where we will dominate the ball. Much better suited to having an inexperienced backline. The back 4 + kelleher you posted would be a shambles away at Arsenal. Might aswell just rest everybody if you are going to do that.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
It's a two legged against a much weaker side and it's at home where we will dominate the ball. Much better suited to having an inexperienced backline. The back 4 + kelleher you posted would be a shambles away at Arsenal. Might aswell just rest everybody if you are going to do that.

fulham are a good side

dont forget the recent match at anfield

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
..........if we play the youngsters and get through .........

It's either / or.   No chance of both.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Thanks Jm55 for the OP.

Although I love seeing us win (even friendliest), I just don’t get too excited by the FA Cup anymore. I’d love to see us win as that’s another trophy but I’m not going to fret if you get put out. For me the aim is to win the League and then the CL.

I do think we’ll start with a decent team but with a strong bench if needed.
#JFT97

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
Whilst it would be a great result if we got through I can then see a scenario where we are in for the lot come April/May. For excitement it is amazing similar to a few years ago but for the players maybe a bit much.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Hopefully both managers rotate heavily and we get a decent contest because of it.  I suspect Arteta will go full strength though as they're on a (relatively) bad run and don't have another game for a fortnight.

I still like the FA Cup but it's definitely lost a bit of its sparkle.  Between the overload of fixtures, the Emirates sponsorship and the number of times Man City have coasted to winning it in recent years it feels about on a par with the Leegue Cup.  It wouldn't ruin my weekend if we were to get knocked out but being played off the park - the Villa cup game where our senior players were in a different continent comes to mind - isn't a nice thought.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
Will be interesting to see how Klopp rotates for this.
Excited for this one.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Hopefully both managers rotate heavily and we get a decent contest because of it.  I suspect Arteta will go full strength though as they're on a (relatively) bad run and don't have another game for a fortnight.

I still like the FA Cup but it's definitely lost a bit of its sparkle.  Between the overload of fixtures, the Emirates sponsorship and the number of times Man City have coasted to winning it in recent years it feels about on a par with the Leegue Cup.  It wouldn't ruin my weekend if we were to get knocked out but being played off the park - the Villa cup game where our senior players were in a different continent comes to mind - isn't a nice thought.

City have actually only win it twice in recent years (2019 and 2023,) last time before that was 2012 altjohhh it does feel well more than that.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Fulham are a decent team who, if we assume we will win, will surprise us
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Nice OP, Jm55!

Can't wait for this one to see who will be given a chance to play, how will we play...

Fun fact - last time we met Arsenal in the FA Cup the referee was... Now he heads PGMOL. Hopefully, the ref/VAR will be invisible.

Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
I actually love watching fringe players, especially when tested. That game against Everton in the FA cup had the most entertainment I could have imagined and it was a no lose because of who played.
We have a good squad who usually perform whatever team we field (except for USG)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
Nice read the OP.
VAR: Simon Hooper, Assistants: David Coote ..... I don't like that now.
I think we should play a full strength team, and be confident of beating these..
Its a big trophy to win, and we should go and win it.
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Buster Gonad

• Anny Roader
or we play naked?

Brings the best out of Trent

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Such a shame with all the unavailable players.

Our squad is ridiculously strong and if there wasn't for the injury crisis we'd be able to field the B team full of fresh and quality players. A B team probably good enough to get close to quadruple like two years ago.

Hopefully we can somehow survive until some of these players come back. With them we'd be able to handle all these competitions with ease and without fatigue accumulation (for the most part)

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
Arsenal don’t play until the 20th of January after this. Confident that Arteta will play his full strength team bar the keeper.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Arsenal don’t play until the 20th of January after this. Confident that Arteta will play his full strength team bar the keeper.

They’re definitely going full strength. Their next game is ages away and they want a result to pull out of their slump. This draw was so annoying. Who did City get? Rushden and Diamonds?

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Great thought provoking op thanks Jm55, I have a strange relationship with the FA Cup as a long time Red. Hillsborough is always in the back on my mind on FA Cup days and watching the Post Office programme, similarities between GPO and FA and their closeness to Govt and establishment liars are clear.
Add to that pain of final losses to this opponent and Mancs and there have been some real lows, but somehow I still like the competition and it has brought many highs from Hunt and St John, through Keegan, Russy, Gerrard and Owen etc to Kelleher two years ago.
The downside of it being close to the first leg of the LC semi final first leg, added to our longer than most teams unavailable list makes selection difficult.
I think Alisson will start in goal, Gomez will be in the bench and possibly Konate too.
Just no replay please, can see Jota off the bench winning a close match.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 09:20:02 am by RogerTheRed »
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
I like being in the FA Cup because it's a great trophy to win and mainly, I hate the weekends when it's on and we're out and we don't have a game 🤣

That said, going deep in four competitions is a real struggle for everyone. Jürgen will use the squad but he's not going to put out the side that played away against Union Saint Gilloise.

Most interesting selection will be who starts at LB, given Robbo and Tsimikas' injuries. Owen Beck? Luke Chambers? If we have to manage Joe Gomez's minutes, would rather use him against Fulham. Bobby Clark might get a run off the bench.

Alisson
Trent
Quansah
VVD
LB
Macca
Harvey
Gravenberch
Jota
Gakpo
Diaz

With Gomez, Konate, Clark, Jones, Nuñez to appear from the bench around 60 and 70.

If Arteta had sense he'd give Saka a rest and try to see if he can get a tune out of Nketiah, Nelson, et al. Suspect he won't though. Bigger picture, he has a league campaign and a Champions League campaign that people will judge him on much more so than a third round game against the top team in England.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 08:22:27 am by lamonti »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
We are already in a semi final, top of the league, and a much stronger chance of winning the Europa then Arsenal have of winning the CL.

They won't go weak in this game. They can't.  They won't have a better chance of silverware.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
I usually like us to do well in this competition but considering everything we've got going on this season I wouldn't mind at all if we heavily rotated and just had a bit of fun.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
I usually like us to do well in this competition but considering everything we've got going on this season I wouldn't mind at all if we heavily rotated and just had a bit of fun.

Yeah me too. We tried to do the "four competitions" thing the other year and it burned us.
We have our two main priorities, and a clean shot at the Milk Cup. We must make sure the likes of Konate and Gomez are rested suitably.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Yeah me too. We tried to do the "four competitions" thing the other year and it burned us.
We have our two main priorities, and a clean shot at the Milk Cup. We must make sure the likes of Konate and Gomez are rested suitably.

Wouldn't it be horribly unfair to have more than few young kids at such a hostile environment with seemingly their best team. Would be the opposite of easing them in. If it was Anfield then maybe but...

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
kelleher

bradley quansah konate beck

elliot macca grav

gordon cody jota

i would only play jota and macca for 60 mins

bobby clarke and carvalho on as subs second half

That is too weak a team, at the back in particular. We only have two games before we get a two week break, I think everyone's forgetting that.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 09:14:04 am by jillcwhomever »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I actually love watching fringe players, especially when tested. That game against Everton in the FA cup had the most entertainment I could have imagined and it was a no lose because of who played.
We have a good squad who usually perform whatever team we field (except for USG)
Couldn't agree more

Not to mention, we have enough experience of the fine margins that can make a difference in title challenges (think of Moses' shit touch and Henderson picking up a suspension with a tired foul in 2014). Just seen what happened to Dominic Calvert Lwin last night. Put in a 'strikers tackle' which looked dangerous, but barely grazed Clyne, and he's now got himself a three match ban while Everton have a replay to add to their fixture list (and if Luton win their game in hand, Everton are 2 points off safety).

Our priorities in my opinion are to avoid a replay, keep a number of players off the pitch entirely (for me, it's a long list: Allison Trent VVD Konate Gomez Szobo Mac Jones Elliot Nunez Jota at a minimum).

we've seen much weakened teams plenty before under Klopp (early doors, they were hilariously weak) and they've often brought out some good performances. Hopefully that happens. But another USG performance wouldn't leave any lasting issues, whereas one injury in defence or midfield or attack leaves us dangerously low on options for the league games and would see us having to rotate less (risking more injuries as a knock on effect) would leave a significant mark on our season.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Wouldn't it be horribly unfair to have more than few young kids at such a hostile environment with seemingly their best team. Would be the opposite of easing them in. If it was Anfield then maybe but...

Yeah, Klopp will play some first teamers but not all hopefully. I'd rest Gomez completely and blood a left-back.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
We haven’t played since Monday so there shouldn’t be an issue fielding a strong starting line up. It’s whether Jurgen picks a team just with Arsenal in mind or with one eye on Fulham as well.

He may consider going strongest available more or less in both given we’ve just had 6 days and after Fulham we have the winter break
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan

Especially as we are going back there for a vital league game.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan

I'm not sure the Emirates is what I would describe as a 'hostile environment' but I agree with the point.  ;D

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm not sure the Emirates is what I would describe as a 'hostile environment' but I agree with the point.  ;D
;D absolutely! also not sure why people think arsenal will be playing their strongest team?
We may consider going strongest available more or less in both given we’ve just had 6 days and after Fulham we have the winter break
worth pointing out that we aren't guaranteed a winter break. it's pending, conditional on avoiding a replay on saturday

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
;D absolutely! also not sure why people think arsenal will be playing their strongest team?worth pointing out that we aren't guaranteed a winter break. it's pending, conditional on avoiding a replay on saturday

Or the more reason to get the job done then. We can go weaker next round.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
I think as long as we put out a team to at the very least keep them honest. If they do go full strength and we dont, then the chances obviously are that they'll go through. But considering they're for sure one of our rivals this season, I don't think we just want to be giving them a nice confidence boost and an easy walkover into the next round.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
worth pointing out that we aren't guaranteed a winter break. it's pending, conditional on avoiding a replay on saturday
Yeah I know, perhaps more incentive to play our strongest team as it’s the best chance of avoiding a replay.

Also if we did get a replay that might be the time to play the kids like at Villa so the first team do get their break.

If anyone turns their nose up, we can say we played our strongest team to get the job done but instead ended up with a replay during what was supposed to be our winter break. We decided the first team should still take their winter break as it’s not our fault the winter break is so poorly arranged.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 09:26:22 am by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Or the more reason to get the job done then.
yep - the job is to win or lose but not draw.
We can go weaker next round.
if that's the plan, why wait for the next round? go weak this round instead
Yeah I know, perhaps more incentive to play our strongest team as it’s the best chance of avoiding a replay
probably the second best chance ;)
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 09:23:48 am by classycarra »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
yep - the job is to win or lose but not draw.if that's the plan, why wait for the next round? go weak this round instead

Because you give Arsenal a massive boost with the all important league game still to be played.

Online Jm55

• Legacy Fan
;D absolutely! also not sure why people think arsenal will be playing their strongest team?worth pointing out that we aren't guaranteed a winter break. it's pending, conditional on avoiding a replay on saturday

I think there's a reasonable chance that they will do on the basis that they've won one of their last five matches and Arteta will, you'd think, be keen to halt the poor form and lift the mood. If they lose on Sunday they're out of both domestic cups and their title chances have taken a hit as well, plus there's always more pressure to go strong when you're at home, especially for the bigger clubs who would look at the competition at the start of the season with a realistic eye on winning it.

No midweek tie for them either and their next match is 20th January, he'll get murder if he goes weak and they get knocked out.

Could easily be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if he went pretty close to full strength.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 09:26:08 am by Jm55 »

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Of course. When its that far to the next game, you want your best players to get minutes to stay fit. It would be counterproductive for them to rest players.

Klopp has some difficult priorities to make, on the other hand.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
The domestic cups were more fun when they were more unpredictable. Now its mostly the same teams playing for a cup that they care less about than the league.

It's so absurd that the FA cup still has replays and the league cup has double semis. Isnt it bad enough to have two domestic cups?

Just bin the league cup and scrap the FA cup replays

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Because you give Arsenal a massive boost with the all important league game still to be played.
did us losing at Chelsea in the FA cup give them a big boost (and harm us) in March 2020?

did us winning our 3rd round (replay) last season give us a boost in the league?