Author Topic: Nobody Strikes the Ball like Alexander-Arnold  (Read 20762 times)

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nobody Strikes the Ball like Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2021, 09:06:11 pm »
He showed incredible technique at times versus Spurs. There was that chance that he hit on the volley which Lloris saved. Shame that didn't go in. He also volleyed a cross from Robertson first time that was pretty spectacular.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2021, 08:42:10 pm »
He's doing things i've literally never seen before in attack and still making outrageous contributions in defence... prime example the tackle vs Fraser (iirc), margin for error was as minimal as they come and he got the challenge inch perfect.

En route home I was watching a randomly selected youtube video of Trent (funnily enough with a title slightly similar to that of this thread) and it still amazes me watching the flight of his passes even though I saw them all when they actually occured. He has this bizarre knack of not only picking out his man, but doing it in a way that they don't have to break stride the majority of the time and if he's played a pass that looks similar to those we've seen countless times from others, where there's bounce up off the turf and out of play, his hold up with enough backspin to fall perfectly for the intended recipient. The range of passing, the vast array of techniques deployed to pass accurately in any scenario, it's frighteningly beautiful.

Now we've seen the likes of Xabi for example, amazing passer, similar style in some of the long raking passes that hold up just in time for the attacker to take in their stride, but Trent has more in his locker for me. Now some of that will likely be due to his position on the field, Xabi wasn't often positioned to swing in crosses but still, there's something about Trents ability to seemingly pinpoint everyone on the field in the short space of time from a teammate passing to the ball arriving at his feet which amazes. That alone is impressive enough but his consistency in picking not only the right pass but executing it so frequently is quite insane.

Early in the season I pointed out the positioning high up the field just inside Salah at the edge of the box thinking it was a one off tactic for the opposing side that day but it's been a theme this season (a fucking genius one at that) and he's just putting up these ridiculous numbers as highlighted in Jacks post above. The kids a marvel of a player and the country isn't really fully awake to what he's doing on a match by match basis, we don't see this stuff, especially from fullbacks, especially from english fullbacks, especially from young players.

I'd love to hear what some of the legends of the game have to say about his passing and vision, past and present. Especially the likes of Xabi, Xavi, Stevie, Thiago and De Bruyne

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2021, 08:44:49 pm »
He's doing things i've literally never seen before in attack and still making outrageous contributions in defence... prime example the tackle vs Fraser (iirc), margin for error was as minimal as they come and he got the challenge inch perfect.

En route home I was watching a randomly selected youtube video of Trent (funnily enough with a title slightly similar to that of this thread) and it still amazes me watching the flight of his passes even though I saw them all when they actually occured. He has this bizarre knack of not only picking out his man, but doing it in a way that they don't have to break stride the majority of the time and if he's played a pass that looks similar to those we've seen countless times from others, where there's bounce up off the turf and out of play, his hold up with enough backspin to fall perfectly for the intended recipient. The range of passing, the vast array of techniques deployed to pass accurately in any scenario, it's frighteningly beautiful.

Now we've seen the likes of Xabi for example, amazing passer, similar style in some of the long raking passes that hold up just in time for the attacker to take in their stride, but Trent has more in his locker for me. Now some of that will likely be due to his position on the field, Xabi wasn't often positioned to swing in crosses but still, there's something about Trents ability to seemingly pinpoint everyone on the field in the short space of time from a teammate passing to the ball arriving at his feet which amazes. That alone is impressive enough but his consistency in picking not only the right pass but executing it so frequently is quite insane.

Early in the season I pointed out the positioning high up the field just inside Salah at the edge of the box thinking it was a one off tactic for the opposing side that day but it's been a theme this season (a fucking genius one at that) and he's just putting up these ridiculous numbers as highlighted in Jacks post above. The kids a marvel of a player and the country isn't really fully awake to what he's doing on a match by match basis, we don't see this stuff, especially from fullbacks, especially from english fullbacks, especially from young players.

I'd love to hear what some of the legends of the game have to say about his passing and vision, past and present. Especially the likes of Xabi, Xavi, Stevie, Thiago and De Bruyne

Trent has the technique of Alonso and the imagination of Gerrard.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2021, 10:34:39 pm »
Yeah, I'm sure this has been said in here previously but in amongst all the discussion about whether he'd stay at right-back or move into midfield, no-one really considered that he'd basically start doing the jobs of both at the same time.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2021, 09:59:14 pm »
Has he forgotten how to be a defender?  Poor performance tonight as a right back defending when we don't have the ball, allows the ball and opposition player to go past him too easily

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2021, 10:00:56 pm »
Very poor tonight. Our play ground to a halt whenever he got on the ball and not even attempting to track Lookman's run was lazy and frankly unacceptable.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2021, 10:02:03 pm »
Dewsbury-Hall was turned into Pele tonight and that wasn’t anything to do with his own ability. Tsimikas should have taken set pieces
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2021, 10:03:05 pm »
Very poor tonight. Our play ground to a halt whenever he got on the ball and not even attempting to track Lookman's run was lazy and frankly unacceptable.

Needs an absoulte rocket for that defensive performance - its like defending is below him. Maybe I'm being harsh and he an injury because he could barely run 2nd half - looked so leggy

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2021, 10:04:10 pm »
Dewsbury-Hall was turned into Pele tonight and that wasn’t anything to do with his own ability. Tsimikas should have taken set pieces
More like Garrincha, but yeah... Trent's defending was weird, like he didn't want to come back for balls that were already past him. And his crossing was below par.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2021, 10:04:58 pm »
Thought the biggest problem on the goal is Hendo stands there as Trent goes to press allowing the initial ball wide.

Thought Trent was fine tonight, others were far worse

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2021, 10:06:05 pm »
Thought the biggest problem on the goal is Hendo stands there as Trent goes to press allowing the initial ball wide.

Thought Trent was fine tonight, others were far worse

Henderson’s positioning and inability to get back in is absolutely woeful on the goal. He’s in no mans land originally and then despite being deeper than Trent fails to drop in to help with Lookman.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2021, 10:07:01 pm »
Had some great cross fields first half.

Second was weird. Like he was running in treacle, he even looked fatter second half than the first :lmao

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2021, 10:09:50 pm »
He (and Henderson) was poor on the goal but he's allowed a bad game occasionally. Really surprised by how ineffective he was today though, and the lethargy especially in tracking. Late in the game with us chasing the game he was lacking urgency as well. Hopefully he will bounce back for the next game.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2021, 10:23:39 pm »
I actually thought Trent was pretty decent tonight.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2021, 10:25:25 pm »

I thought it was his poorest performance for a while.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2021, 10:25:55 pm »
Me too. Everyone knows he’ll leave that RB slot open a few times a game, it’s whether you can capitalise. Those are our tactics and they’ve done us and him well.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2021, 10:26:15 pm »
Neither him or hendo covered themselves in glory for their goal. Both jogging back. Delivery was shocking today as well. Seems the case when he’s off it the full team seems to be off it too

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2021, 10:36:49 pm »
Was he playing CM?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 28, 2021, 10:40:36 pm »
Was he playing CM?

Swear you’ve asked this about 5 times now across multiple threads? Are trying to make a smart ass comment or something or genuinely dumb to where a player plays?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2021, 10:51:56 pm »
Swear you’ve asked this about 5 times now across multiple threads? Are trying to make a smart ass comment or something or genuinely dumb to where a player plays?

Not being smart at all.

He didn't seem to be playing from the right side at all and was central and fairly advanced making the pitch narrow.

Must of been instruction but seemed an odd tactic.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2021, 10:54:46 pm »
Not being smart at all.

He didn't seem to be playing from the right side at all and was central and fairly advanced making the pitch narrow.

Must of been instruction but seemed an odd tactic.

It can't be the first time you've noticed that! It's been happening all season mate. It's one of the reasons we've won so many matches.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2021, 10:57:18 pm »
It can't be the first time you've noticed that! It's been happening all season mate. It's one of the reasons we've won so many matches.

He has not been that central. Seemed an odd tactic as left massive space.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2021, 11:00:34 pm »

I thought it was his poorest performance for a while.

Shows how high his standards are.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2021, 11:04:06 pm »
Not at his best but he is still amazing.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2021, 12:00:54 am »
He has not been that central. Seemed an odd tactic as left massive space.

He actually wasn't as central tonight as he has been in previous games. He always defends narrow, you don't want big gaps between your CB and RB. That does mean he needs to bust a gut to get out to his man & the no.8 on the right hand side needs to do the same, unfortunately that didn't happen every time. We move on.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2021, 09:00:04 am »
Very lazy defending and positioning last night, his crosses were off but the most annoying thing was his lack of concentration missing easy passes.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2021, 09:07:50 am »
Very lazy defending and positioning last night, his crosses were off but the most annoying thing was his lack of concentration missing easy passes.

Whole side was like that though.

Just sloppy and like we were knackered when we didn’t have the rest.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #188 on: January 2, 2022, 11:46:13 pm »
Don't know what happened to the Trent thread. Anyway, just wanted to give him some kudos for Goal of the Month. I voted from all 3 devices.  ;D

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2023, 11:19:57 pm »
You won't see a better illustration of the thesis than that. It's unreal.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2023, 11:26:04 pm »
His pass for Mo's goal?

It was on a different level from even his own standards.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2023, 11:27:35 pm »
His pass for Mo's goal?

He makes those passes in his sleep. A top flight midfielder would be happy with one of those per season.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2023, 11:29:20 pm »
His pass for Mo's goal?

Yes it was a great pass but Mo made the goal nearly all by himself. Trent’s pass was superb but Mo still had a lot to do. Pass was great………run and shot by Salah were great also.
#JFT97

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2023, 11:33:11 pm »
Yes it was a great pass but Mo made the goal nearly all by himself. Trent’s pass was superb but Mo still had a lot to do. Pass was great………run and shot by Salah were great also.

Also true. But it's also true that Mo makes those runs because Trent has the ball.

But, jeez, the pass. The flat trajectory AND the bite when it lands. How do you get both those things?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2023, 12:33:31 am »
Also true. But it's also true that Mo makes those runs because Trent has the ball.

But, jeez, the pass. The flat trajectory AND the bite when it lands. How do you get both those things?

A little blood in the cut...

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 3, 2024, 08:56:31 pm »
There have been some questions - mainly outside of Liverpool - about whether Trent meant to hit the goal with that wonder strike v the Saudi Arabians.

Of course he did!

It was simply an upgraded version of the strike that the OP links to.

This is meat and drink to Trent Alexander-Arnold. 

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 3, 2024, 09:16:41 pm »
Just popped my head in here and then read the OP. Very well worth reading, even today. Superb bit of writing that I really enjoyed reading.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #197 on: January 7, 2024, 05:17:35 pm »
No-one indeed.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #198 on: January 7, 2024, 05:18:27 pm »
He is so fucking good. He's so good that he actually smiled.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #199 on: January 7, 2024, 05:21:59 pm »
Could make one hell of a compilation from his almost goals ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now