Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175589 times)

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Gardening Thread 2009. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2009, 06:57:37 pm »
Last week I went to a botanic garden to shoot some pics.
There was an amazing fruit/veggie section where I took the pic below.

There was a small tree/bush, seemed like a fruit tree, but the fruit looks more like an aubergine of some kind...

Any of you know what it is?
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:27 pm »
I would have said an Aubergine.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2009, 09:55:30 pm »
I'm thinking its a fig tree, it looks like a fig and fig leaves anyway. Think aubergine leaves are much bigger.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2009, 12:05:15 am »
Last week I went to a botanic garden to shoot some pics.
There was an amazing fruit/veggie section where I took the pic below.

There was a small tree/bush, seemed like a fruit tree, but the fruit looks more like an aubergine of some kind...

Any of you know what it is?

It's a fig. We have 5 fig trees at my parent's house. They're lush. :)
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2009, 12:11:21 am »
Fig Tree it is then, ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2009, 12:13:34 pm »
Haha, thanks all! Now I can sleep again at night ;D
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2009, 12:30:32 am »
Haha, thanks all! Now I can sleep again at night ;D

Glad i could help ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #247 on: September 2, 2009, 09:24:35 pm »
Fucking rain. Still busy though.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 3, 2009, 01:01:23 am »
So, what's a French Marigold called in France?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #249 on: September 3, 2009, 09:05:01 pm »
So, what's a French Marigold called in France?

Marigold.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: October 6, 2009, 11:53:40 pm »
Hey Sarge why are all my chillies dying?! :'(
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2010, 09:57:22 pm »
The snow is gone, time to start planning!

We haven't got a garden, but i'm planning to grow some veg in pots, buckets or so in the yard. The problem is, the yard is inhabited by about a million slugs and snails. Anyone got any ideas how to make the pots slug-safe? I was thinking of putting them on some sort of slug-fence legs or something like that?
Ta for any help :wave

Edit: bit of googling later, it seems you can buy a sort of copper feet and there's also copper tape to wrap around your pots. Anyone got any experience with these?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:33:02 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2010, 09:55:44 am »
I have been offered a plot allotment (5 rods) after being on the waiting list for only ....5 months! I'd been told the normal waiting time was 18 months.  Isn't this sweet?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »
I have been offered a plot allotment (5 rods) after being on the waiting list for only ....5 months! I'd been told the normal waiting time was 18 months.  Isn't this sweet?

Good stuff what you going to grow?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »
Good stuff what you going to grow?
I am still weeding it. It was terrible.... Only started last week, after it was rotavated for Ł50.  I have already put in some taters, beans, rocket, chard, courgettes and mustard  (for the greens). Having said that, I have only prepared about one-fifth of the whole plot. Big week-end coming up as I want the plot for the corns ready soon.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »
got hold of an allotment in January, growing onions,garlic,broad beans, carrots, peas, spinach,lettuce, beetroot,strawberry's, raspberry's, peppers & chili's
 (in greenhouse)
seedlings waiting to go in - corn,french beans, various brassica, more lettuce, courgettes, and leeks

got another patch full of spuds
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: April 27, 2011, 12:42:53 pm »

Id like to turn this into a veg patch,or raised patch,whichevers easier but am new to gardening so would like some advice please regarding drainage,soil and best veg to grow so I can be using the patch as much as possible around the year.Have looked at a few sites online so have a general idea but lots of differing info out there,.Id be finishing off the blockwork to the edge of the path with an aisle down the center so would effectively have 2 patches,the overall are is 13ft*6ft.
thanks in advance.
bollocks

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2011, 11:22:18 am »
got hold of an allotment in January, growing onions,garlic,broad beans, carrots, peas, spinach,lettuce, beetroot,strawberry's, raspberry's, peppers & chili's
 (in greenhouse)
seedlings waiting to go in - corn,french beans, various brassica, more lettuce, courgettes, and leeks

got another patch full of spuds
How likely are we to get frost as from now on (I am in Surrey)?  I don't have a greenhouse and thinking of putting my seeds straight in.  Also, when would you put your corn seedlings in?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:30:42 am by Vinay »

Offline hope_valley_parker

• Nosey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Found a better place to park....
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2011, 11:31:06 am »
Any lawn experts out there? My garden every year is infested with weeds, dandelions, daisys and a whole lot more.

The last 2 years I've treated it with the 3 in 1 stuff (weedkiller, fertiliser etc etc). All with little benefit.

I really want a billiard table lawn I can be proud of. Any suggestions, short of returfing the lot?

Thanks!

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »
Time to get them tools out soon! Hope we have better weather than last year.
Who's growing what this year?

Offline JonnyDubb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2013, 05:03:30 pm »
Time to get them tools out soon! Hope we have better weather than last year.
Who's growing what this year?

Well I don't actually have a garden, seeing as I live in a flat but I've got loads of windowsills. I'm going to have a try at growing my own chilli peppers. My mum grew some Apache and Prairie Fire chillies in her spare room and they turned out pretty good so I've started with these.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2013, 09:05:26 am »
After 20 years of sitting on the window ledge being spectacularly boring, as only Cacti can be, this morning it's decided to flower!
(I've no idea what type it is, I got it from a jumble sale way back when. Anyone any idea?)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Nice Guy Davey

• Official Orange Wednesday supplier to JerseyKopite
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Can you imagine Doobiein your funk ?
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2013, 01:14:48 pm »
After 20 years of sitting on the window ledge being spectacularly boring, as only Cacti can be, this morning it's decided to flower!
(I've no idea what type it is, I got it from a jumble sale way back when. Anyone any idea?)

Looks like a could be a Aporocactus Flagelliformis, commonly known as an Easter Cactus. Not 100% sure though
Nunquam Solitari Ambulabitis

Online peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2013, 07:52:41 pm »
Quick question, I've a load of weeds brambles and general overgrown crap in my garden. Where I live they don't collect garden waste and I've no car.  Is it worth buying on of those compost bins and throwing my grass cuttings and stuff in?  Will brambles compost or should I burn them?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2013, 08:10:10 pm »
Any lawn experts out there? My garden every year is infested with weeds, dandelions, daisys and a whole lot more.

The last 2 years I've treated it with the 3 in 1 stuff (weedkiller, fertiliser etc etc). All with little benefit.

I really want a billiard table lawn I can be proud of. Any suggestions, short of returfing the lot?

Thanks!
Know this is a bit late and all, but for anyone interested. Pick up Scotts React.
http://www.green-tech.co.uk/products/landscaping-maintenance-chemicals/selective-weedkiller/re-act
It kills most if not all forms of weeds in the lawn. 5ltr will last you years considering you'll only use it once or twice a year. Spray the lawn, or with a watering can. Wait for the weeds to show signs of dying. Round a week. A few days in good dry weather. Examples being the heads of daisies will start to close up, dandelions will start to twist. Cut the grass, wait a week, cut it again. Wait a few days, then put down that Evergreen 4 in 1.
http://www.coopersdirect.com/scotts-evergreen-complete-4-in-1-lawn-feed-weed-moss-killer.html
Do that, and your lawn will be guaranteed billiard table lush green
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:15:06 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Online peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2013, 09:48:27 pm »
Burn them

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/vegging-out/safe-compost-bramble_28555.html

cheers for that, im a bit naive but having a fire in your own garden is 100% ok right? as long as im not burning plastic and other crap (just garden waste)?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2013, 10:39:07 pm »
Quick question, I've a load of weeds brambles and general overgrown crap in my garden. Where I live they don't collect garden waste and I've no car.  Is it worth buying on of those compost bins and throwing my grass cuttings and stuff in?  Will brambles compost or should I burn them?

It's good to keep an area of your garden filled with organic crap. If you have the space... you can just dump it all in a corner. I have a compost bin, but I don't put weeds in it. Brambles I just chop up and shove under a hedge.

I love my compost bin, but weeds don't go in it. I shove them under a hedge, or stuff them in household bins. Having the occassional fire should be no problem, but maybe look at where the wind is going.

Grass cuttings should go into your compost tho.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:43:19 pm by Filler. »

Online peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2013, 03:56:57 pm »
Nice one Filler. Garden is big enough when its cleared, I did have a huge pile on the go last year but was a bit messy so was thinking perhaps a proper bin in the back corner of my garden instead. 

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
Have been thinking about putting decking down but a friend came round recently and said hes always slipping on his and its a pain the ass basically.

Ive been to a few places where people have had decking and theyve been slippy so thinking he may have a point
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2013, 12:47:47 am »
Have been thinking about putting decking down but a friend came round recently and said hes always slipping on his and its a pain the ass basically.

Ive been to a few places where people have had decking and theyve been slippy so thinking he may have a point

I live in the States but my parents are still in Liverpool. Everyone over here has decks, including myself, and I've never slipped on them once. But when I'm home at my Mum's its treacherous. I don't know what the difference is. It's just planks of wood. Really baffles me.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2013, 07:59:06 am »
I live in the States but my parents are still in Liverpool. Everyone over here has decks, including myself, and I've never slipped on them once. But when I'm home at my Mum's its treacherous. I don't know what the difference is. It's just planks of wood. Really baffles me.
Probably a bit wetter this side of the pond. Lots of dull skies. The only decking ive ever slipped on are ones in shady or part shady areas. Under a tree that sheds its leaves for example, leaving residue from the leaves and wet. A thin film of Moss growing on it too.
Have a customer who has a walkway made of old railway sleepers, that were treated by the rail company before they were originally put down. They look beautiful, but when they're wet they're a death trap, literally like walking on an ice rink

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2013, 06:48:08 pm »
Probably a bit wetter this side of the pond. Lots of dull skies. The only decking ive ever slipped on are ones in shady or part shady areas. Under a tree that sheds its leaves for example, leaving residue from the leaves and wet. A thin film of Moss growing on it too.
Have a customer who has a walkway made of old railway sleepers, that were treated by the rail company before they were originally put down. They look beautiful, but when they're wet they're a death trap, literally like walking on an ice rink

You know what, that's a good point, I think its the moss. A very thin film of it. Oddly enough you never seem to see moss over here

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2013, 07:48:11 pm »
Put that idea off and going for paving slabs now.

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2013, 07:56:17 pm »
has sarge stopped posting ?  or has he been banned ? was looking for some gardening advice, Basically in my back garden i have a bit of land in between my house and my next door neighbors house that's just growing weeds, was wondering if theirs any fruit/veg i can grow their or even plant some plants their just to spruce it up the only problem i can see is it doesn't get much sunlight as theirs a fence which blocks it any suggestions?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2013, 10:19:33 pm »
Fruit and veg need light really, but going by those pics you could get away with Spinach and Chard and Kale and Black Cabbage (bloody lovely stuff). All great to have in the garden as they don't die in winter. Difficult to tell, but there's some reflected light from the house there. Rhubard allegedly does well in shade too.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2013, 08:06:59 am »
So, I need to build a box in the garden to put Mrs Yc and/or the kids in when they're acting up to put weeds in, branches I cut off etc etc - a dry compost.

From what I've read, the bottom needs to be a bit above ground and not with a 'solid' flooring - need spaces in between the boards for air to circulate and so forth.

Anyone have drawings for one/know a good link?
@Yvanicuzz

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2013, 08:38:08 pm »
BBC2 now, Gardeners World. This is my 2nd cousins Japanese garden.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: August 3, 2013, 09:56:16 pm »
Thought I would try my hand at abit of gardening this year and planted my first plant back in May. Surprised it actually sprouted, even more surprised that it survived after I watered it when it was but a shoot and completely snapped it. Fixed it by typing it to a stick and it shot up during that good spell off weather we had. Had a check on it this evening and I'm happy to announced it's a girl!  :D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2013, 12:05:02 pm »
An annoying flat weed has appeared everywhere this year, anyone know what its called?