Author Topic: Cardiff 0 v Liverpool 2 Gini ‘57 Milner ‘81  (Read 31945 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Cardiff 0 v Liverpool 2 Gini ‘57 Milner ‘81
« on: April 21, 2019, 03:09:02 pm »
**UPDATED**

Referee: Martin Atkinson
Assistants Stephen Child, Harry Lennard
Fourth official: David Coote

Our record against Cardiff City is not exactly what you'd expect:

Head to Head
Games played - 33
Games won - 13
Games drawn - 2
Games lost - 18

Cardiff City were the visitors to Anfield on 19th December 1959, the day that is laid down in the very foundations of this great club as it was the day that Bill Shankly first managed Liverpool.  Shanks, however, didn’t pick the team that day as he had only joined the club five days earlier.  The result was a 4-0 defeat  and afterwards Shanks was quoted as saying in his own unique way

“After only one match I knew that the team as a whole was not good enough. I made up my mind that we needed strengthening through the middle, a goalkeeper and a centre half who between them could stop goals, and somebody up front to create goals and score them”

That match was Cardiff City’s last win over Liverpool, in fact it was another 48 years before we played them again.  Robbie Fowler was leading the line for Cardiff City in their 2-1 Anfield defeat in October 2007, Liverpool’s first victory in 50 years!!!  I don’t recall the game that day but I am sure “God” got a rousing reception from the Kop.

Liverpool have played them five times since that game 60 years ago with the closest Cardiff have got to winning being a penalty defeat in the 2012 League Cup Final (our last major trophy to date)

The last time Liverpool travelled to Cardiff was in March 2014, co-incidentally, the last time we were challenging for the title under Brendan Rodgers when a Luis Suarez hat-trick and a Martin Skrtel brace saw Liverpool through to a 6-3 victory

Two League Cup fixtures and three Premier League ties after that last defeat and here we are today…

Cardiff City come into the game on the back of four defeats in their last five games and are staring down the barrel of an immediate return to the Championship, led by Colin Wanker, aka Colin Wanker they have a crucial battle against Brighton on Tuesday.  Win that and they have a chance at survival but lose and that would leave them 8 points adrift with 12 points to play for, a Liverpool victory would then confirm their relegation with three games to go.

and win it they did, not sure how much that will affect our game though, no doubt they'll go all out for a point but they don't need to win now as they have easier games to come. We should be winning this game, however we set up!

It has been somewhat of a tragic season for Cardiff with their record signing (£15m from Nantes) being killed in a plane crash enroute to joining his new team mates and who knows what affect that has had on Cardiff’s players.  That said, the League table doesn’t lie nor does the fact that Colin hates Liverpool, in particular former manager Rafa Benitez for Rafa’s decision to field a weakened side against Fulham that he blamed for Sheffield United’s relegation despite the fact that there were another 38 games in the season that he had an influence on as manager that could have meant they stayed out of that position in the first place, but no they were relegated because Rafa rested players in a meaningless game for Liverpool ahead of the 2007 Champions League final.  Yes folks, Colin Wanker is an anagram!

Liverpool on the other hand come into the game full of confidence, five wins out of five in their last five Premier League games and unbeaten in the league since the reverse to Manchester City at the turn of the year and now in our second successive Champions League Semi-Final

There are four fixtures left, four games that could propel the team to legendary status as the first League Champions for 29 long raw seasons, it could be the catalyst for great times to come because I believe that when we get the monkey of the first Premier League title off our backs, the team will go on to win many more trophies.  Four wins and a City draw/defeat from history.  Can we do it?  I believe that we will win our last four, starting with Cardiff City on Sunday, as Jürgen says, we can do no more, the rest is in the hands of Manchester City’s remaining five opponents

Oh and up yours Colin Wanker!

**Edited following tonight's and last night's games

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:41:50 pm by Preserved for posterity. »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cardiff v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 03:10:10 pm »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 03:51:29 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 03:51:47 pm »
Genuinely thought Gomez would start right back today.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 03:57:23 pm »
The teams walk out onto the pitch in glorious sunshine.

Yes, that’s right.

Sunshine.

In wales.

It seems wrong somehow.

For those who don’t know wales.  Cardiff is one of the 20 cloudiest cities in the world.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:59:04 pm by Preserved for posterity. »
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 03:58:24 pm »
Genuinely thought Gomez would start right back today.

Yes, I heard a rumour about that, a bit of misinformation maybe?

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 04:00:22 pm »
0 and we’re off.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 04:02:08 pm »
2 Cardiff pressing us when we have it on the halfway line.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 04:05:13 pm »
Our magnificent fans making this seem like a home game. Allez Allez ringing out.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 04:05:17 pm »
4 teams are feeling each other out right now

Keita plays a little chip over the top, their goalie punches clear as it just goes beyond Salah.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 04:07:08 pm »
7 Hoillet wriggles past Matip and into the area on the bye line.  He’s run it out of play though
W

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 04:08:08 pm »
We look sharp and ready to battle it out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 04:09:04 pm »
I've been impressed with how we've won the ball back, especially after a European game. We started a lot brighter than usual in these situations.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 04:09:45 pm »
9 a Cardiff player down after a good tackle by Keita.

Colin Wanker is furious on the touch line.  Like a gout ridden Nigel Frottage.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 04:10:21 pm »
Good dribble past followed by a decent needly tackle from Naby

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 04:12:10 pm »
11 lovely run into the area by Mane, a good pass form Keita finds him but Morrison just clears it. 
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 04:12:57 pm »
12 Keita plays it to Mane 30 yards out.  The defender backs off and Mane shoots high wide and not so handsome.
W

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 04:13:25 pm »
Naby has been very bright so far.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 04:15:23 pm »
14 good move by Cardiff down the right of our box, it’s crossed, Hoillet controls and Robertson gets back and blocks for a corner.  And Alisson palms it clear. 

Salah nearly clear on the break but it doesn’t quite run, good interception by former reds youth player Lee Peltier
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:17:11 pm by Preserved for posterity. »
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 04:15:36 pm »
Over we go
W

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 04:16:12 pm »
15 - Misplaced pass by Trent leads to a dangerous cross by Cardiff, but Robbo blocks the shot. They have a corner but we clear for a break by Salah which is stopped.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 04:16:25 pm »
You can tell they haven't watered the pitch, the way the balls are running. We have to make sure with our passing today.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 04:16:39 pm »
Cardiff have plenty of vim in these early exchanges.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 04:17:23 pm »
17 - Cardiff are already timewasting.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 04:18:59 pm »
18 - Colin Wanker is losing his shit on the touchline. Never not fun.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 04:19:14 pm »
arsenal 0-1 palace.

Benteke has scored.

Repeat Benteke has scored.

This is not a drill
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 04:22:07 pm »
Cardiff have parked their entire team behind the 40 yard line

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 04:22:17 pm »
21 - Low block by Cardiff, we're patiently probing around looking for some space.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 04:22:53 pm »
22 - Amazing ball into the box finds Bobby alone, but his shot is over the bar. Golden chance that.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 04:23:26 pm »
22 - Amazing ball into the box finds Bobby alone, but his shot is over the bar. Golden chance that.
The good news is that it’s a chance.  We hadn’t created anything up until then.  Good to see us unlock the door.
W

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2019, 04:23:34 pm »
It's encouraging that we have finally cracked them open.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
Cardiff v Liverpool
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2019, 04:23:41 pm »
aka a sitter

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2019, 04:25:22 pm »
I have a feeling Bobby thought he was offside. He was looking at the linesman as if he was expecting the flag to be up. Should have done better than a good chance.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2019, 04:25:27 pm »
25 - Matips run in the box ends in a Cardiff break. We scramble but clear it.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2019, 04:25:33 pm »
Trent is struggling to cope with the fella down his side

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2019, 04:27:35 pm »
27 - We probe and poke but it's all a bit too slow and predictable.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 04:27:48 pm »
Trent is struggling to cope with the fella down his side

Both Trent and Matip are very light, the guys using his physicality against them very well.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 04:28:53 pm »
28 - Bobby carries the ball to the box and find Mo, who wriggles around, tries a one two with Hendo but they get the ball.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 04:31:25 pm »
30 - Trent's wicked pass finds Mane on five yards but he struggles to find a good shot. Over to jill.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2019, 04:32:14 pm »
31 Klopp talking to Van Dijk, as play has stopped. Niasse back on the pitch for Cardiff.