Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 49905 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 2018 - Who's the best commentator/pundit?
« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2024, 03:19:53 pm »
Jesus fuckin Christ....Lucy Ward......the relentless verbal diarrhoea of Darren Fletcher....combined with the Harry Enfield 'Only Me' cuntishness of Andy Hinchcliffe. .and the state the blindingly obvious boring bollocks of Jermaine Jenas....it's quite the combination...

Hahahaha 👍

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2024, 03:20:39 pm »
So very little different to the countless male pundits then? They are mostly all the same.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2024, 03:41:22 pm »
What's up with Lucy Ward? Talks a lot of sense, unbiased, and entertaining.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2024, 03:53:50 pm »
What's up with Lucy Ward? Talks a lot of sense, unbiased, and entertaining.

She drives an Audi, most probably...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2024, 03:58:25 pm »
I don't get the bashing of females in Football punditry or commentary, they've played the game at the highest level and will know more about that game than the average Football fan.

Joey Barton can fuck off as well.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2024, 04:00:00 pm »
Jesus fuckin Christ....Lucy Ward......the relentless verbal diarrhoea of Darren Fletcher....combined with the Harry Enfield 'Only Me' cuntishness of Andy Hinchcliffe. .and the state the blindingly obvious boring bollocks of Jermaine Jenas....it's quite the combination...
She's utterly fucking awful.

Her and whoever was on co-comms for the Fulham game are making a great case for "no commentary" options to be compulsory on every game.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2024, 04:00:54 pm »
So very little different to the countless male pundits then? They are mostly all the same.
True, the vast majority of pundits and co-commenators are awful, no matter if they're male or female. Doesn't mean you can't criticise them, just cause they're female though.
Stan Laurel

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2024, 04:04:21 pm »
They're all shite and should all be fucked off, but she's the worst, never fucking shuts up, talks over the main comm and just talks utter utter shite all the time
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2024, 05:07:29 pm »
True, the vast majority of pundits and co-commenators are awful, no matter if they're male or female. Doesn't mean you can't criticise them, just cause they're female though.

She seems to get special treatment though, I mean the likes of McCoist is shocking as well he never shuts up for a second. It's the way pundits are they think they have to rabbit on every minute of the game.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2024, 05:34:15 pm »
She seems to get special treatment though, I mean the likes of McCoist is shocking as well he never shuts up for a second. It's the way pundits are they think they have to rabbit on every minute of the game.

Its not misogyny though, as every woman I know who watches football hates her too. reddebs said earlier she makes other female comms look bad with the inane prattle and debs ended up looking for a stream the other night and turning the game off as she was so bad

I think she gets so much because, like Jenas, she's getting stuffed in everywhere, she's getting a huge amount of games and she's really bad at her job. McCoist goes on too, but at least he knows what he's talking about, she's just a walking cliche
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2024, 05:43:40 pm »
Its not misogyny though, as every woman I know who watches football hates her too. reddebs said earlier she makes other female comms look bad with the inane prattle and debs ended up looking for a stream the other night and turning the game off as she was so bad

I think she gets so much because, like Jenas, she's getting stuffed in everywhere, she's getting a huge amount of games and she's really bad at her job. McCoist goes on too, but at least he knows what he's talking about, she's just a walking cliche

Yes, but how can anyone tell the difference between her and everyone else though, when they are all so bloody painful to listen too. It's the same most weeks they waffle on about nothing in particular in most commentaries now. But presumably that is what these broadcasters want them to do, otherwise they wouldn't pick them would they? Just turn the sound down and don't listen to them, that's what I do most weeks now.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2024, 05:54:12 pm »
Yes, but how can anyone tell the difference between her and everyone else though, when they are all so bloody painful to listen too. It's the same most weeks they waffle on about nothing in particular in most commentaries now. But presumably that is what these broadcasters want them to do, otherwise they wouldn't pick them would they? Just turn the sound down and don't listen to them, that's what I do most weeks now.

Her annoying voice and accent ;D

My youngest said can't you turn the comms off and just have the crowd? I hate to turn the sound off, much rather have at least crowd noise. I'd rather they went back to a commentator and no co-comm, I grew up with Brian Moore, Barry Davies, Motty et al, so I know how a good commentator can be a part of the enjoyment

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2024, 05:55:47 pm »
Her annoying voice and accent ;D

My youngest said can't you turn the comms off and just have the crowd? I hate to turn the sound off, much rather have at least crowd noise. I'd rather they went back to a commentator and no co-comm, I grew up with Brian Moore, Barry Davies, Motty et al, so I know how a good commentator can be a part of the enjoyment
That’s the problem. Because there are two of them, they feel they have to have a conversation for the whole match. It’s fucking tedious.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2024, 05:58:46 pm »

I think it's unconscious misogyny because I doubt people would go in quite as two footed if it was a bloke.  And I think I'm being kind there.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2024, 06:02:43 pm »
I think it's unconscious misogyny because I doubt people would go in quite as two footed if it was a bloke.  And I think I'm being kind there.

Defo, you never see "Fletch", Robbie Savage, Martin Tyler, Carragher or Neville criticised.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2024, 06:02:50 pm »

McCoist, two-footed
Jenas, Souness tackle
Richards, Keane v Haaland

Not sure your point is supported based upon comments on these boards...

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2024, 06:13:42 pm »

Well, my missus, her mates and reddebs on here for 6 all must be misogynysts then, cos they all cannot stand her and want her taken off the telly. My wife has killed the sound when she's on.

I have plenty of time for Kelly Dalglish, Gabbie Yorath for example, as well as Suzi Perry and Natalie Quirk on MotoGP, as they all know what they are talking about, this one just chats shite for 90 minutes

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2024, 06:16:43 pm »
She's not criticised more than Jenas, Savage, Gary Neville, Danny Mills, Danny Murphy et al are, not even close.

And McCoist is a terrible shout, he's probably the only co-commentator that adds something to the game!
Stan Laurel

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2024, 06:18:24 pm »
She's not criticised more than Jenas, Savage, Gary Neville, Danny Mills, Danny Murphy et al are, not even close.

And McCoist is a terrible shout, he's probably the only co-commentator that adds something to the game!

McCoist is shite at the moment, you can't have listened to him recently. It's not the McCoist of Prime he has been dreadful since he moved to Sky/TNT which is just proof that they are not interested in their pundits adding anything to the game.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2024, 06:31:40 pm »
McCoist is shite at the moment, you can't have listened to him recently. It's not the McCoist of Prime he has been dreadful since he moved to Sky/TNT which is just proof that they are not interested in their pundits adding anything to the game.

Danny Murphy, on today's broadcast, was given the proper amount of shite for his utter horribility... :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2024, 06:33:28 pm »
Danny Murphy, on today's broadcast, was given the proper amount of shite for his utter horribility... :D

Well, they all should be. Let's face it they are all proper shite.  ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: January 28, 2024, 06:33:28 pm »
I still like McCoist.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #302 on: January 28, 2024, 06:33:33 pm »
McCoist, two-footed
Jenas, Souness tackle
Richards, Keane v Haaland

Not sure your point is supported based upon comments on these boards...

I didn't say it was did I? Was more a comment in general. Plus I've got no time for the performative outrage of the other posts.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 06:36:23 pm by RedDeadRejection »

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #303 on: January 28, 2024, 06:37:11 pm »
I didn't say it was did I? Was more a comment in general. Plus I've got no time for the performative outrage of the other posts.

General punditry does tend to produce copious performative outrage...

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #304 on: January 28, 2024, 06:38:59 pm »
General punditry does tend to produce copious performative outrage...

Bigger worries in football I think. I'm just glad there is more inclusively in the game because I've only got a daughter so it's down to her to play for liverpool 🤣

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #305 on: January 28, 2024, 06:40:53 pm »
Bigger worries in football I think. I'm just glad there is more inclusively in the game because I've only got a daughter so it's down to her to play for liverpool 🤣

I earn my living coaching girls soccer stateside, no argument from way over here...

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #306 on: January 28, 2024, 06:42:00 pm »
I earn my living coaching girls soccer stateside, no argument from way over here...

Full respect to you.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: January 28, 2024, 06:54:11 pm »
I still like McCoist.

Me too.

Women punditry/commentary will get better with time. It's still in its infancy.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #308 on: January 28, 2024, 07:00:14 pm »
Me too.

Women punditry/commentary will get better with time. It's still in its infancy.
not if they keep giving Lucy Ward a gig it won't
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: January 28, 2024, 07:01:20 pm »
not if they keep giving Lucy Ward a gig it won't

Danny Murphy made Ward sound like prime Barry Davies.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #310 on: January 28, 2024, 07:03:05 pm »
good point, he was awful too but you take more notice when it's our game.

There are some decent female pundits and some decent male ones but the bar is pretty low I must say
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2024, 07:04:04 pm »
I still like McCoist.

Me too. He's refreshingly positive and happy to be there.
Works very well with Clive Tyldesley on Amazon.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:06:22 pm by Gili Gulu »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: January 28, 2024, 07:04:08 pm »

He was praising United players when they were shite.  :D

Online Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #313 on: January 28, 2024, 07:05:13 pm »

There are some decent female pundits and some decent male ones but the bar is pretty low I must say

They all come across as inauthentic, that's the issue. I think that's why the fan YouTube channels do way better with no agendas to get clicks, no characters that they play up to the camera for and you can see that they're the same people off camera as they are on camera.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: January 28, 2024, 07:06:09 pm »
Me too. He's refreshingly positive and happy to be there.

Not when he's on TNT/Sky he isn't. I agree t he McCoist on Prime was okay to listen too because on there they concentrate on the football. But on Sky/TNT they talk about agenda driven nonsense and that includes McCoist. It's pretty obvious its t he way the broadcasters want the punditry to be.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2024, 07:10:00 pm »

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2024, 07:13:47 pm »
I don't get the bashing of females in Football punditry or commentary, they've played the game at the highest level and will know more about that game than the average Football fan.

Joey Barton can fuck off as well.

They have played at the highest level in the women's game not the men's game. Any average amateur sunday league men's team would beat the best women's professional team comfortably. That is not relevant to the argument anyway. It is perfectly normal to criticise or have a negative opinion about a women in commentary or punditry on TV just like we often do with some of the absolute jokers that are men in punditry. We shouldnt assume that any criticism is coming from a place of conscious or sub conscious misogyny or the patriachy etc.

There are plenty of good knowledgable women involved in the men's game and who deserve the opportunity to be on the TV. I think the likes of Emma Hayes, Mel Ready, Kelly Cates, Alex Scott and Laura Woods etc are as good as most if not all men on talking about football or other sports.

I honestly think Emma Hayes could manage in the mens game. I would love to see her get a shot in the men's game some day. I dont know if she has ambitions to crossover but i do know she is really clued up about the men's game and she is shit hot about tactics and has studied the top coaches in the world - Mourinho, Klopp and Pep etc

Joey Barton can fuck right off as well. The sub human anti vax fucking rat.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2024, 07:19:09 pm »
I love Harriet Pryor from the Anfield Wrap as well who is now working for sky full time i think. It would be great to see her come through the ranks and one day be either in the commentary box or one of the studio guests on Super Sunday. She is great talking about the game.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2024, 10:14:30 am »

I had to rewind and make sure I ddin't mishear when Murphy said Hojlands goal yesterday was a great finish.
It's low and it's getting no better really because it's so driven by the broadcasters and not people speaking their own minds or views. Apart from an odd podcast or show on radio where there are some good European based journalists it's hard to think of some real good informative coverage where you can hear what people really think.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: January 29, 2024, 10:40:18 am »
I had to rewind and make sure I ddin't mishear when Murphy said Hojlands goal yesterday was a great finish.
It's low and it's getting no better really because it's so driven by the broadcasters and not people speaking their own minds or views. Apart from an odd podcast or show on radio where there are some good European based journalists it's hard to think of some real good informative coverage where you can hear what people really think.

Luckily I wasn't really watching the game, so managed to zone out from Murphy, still heard him chatting a lot of absolute shite though.

I watch MotoGP, Gav Emmett the main comm is an enthusiastic fella who knows his stuff, his co Comm is ex British and World Superbike champion who also raced MotoGP, so knows what it takes to ride at the levels he is talking about, so when he says a rider feels this or that, he's talking from experience, main presenters is Suzi Perry, grid reporter and rider interviewer is Natalie Quirk, again enthusiastic and clued up, then Eugene Laverty and Sylvain Guintoli, both racers provide the knowledge They speak facts, don't chat wham and don't try to create agendas. Why can't footy be the same?