Author Topic: had enough of football?  (Read 14095 times)

Offline kneejerk

• Anny Roader
  • talking with the heart, not the brain
had enough of football?
« on: September 2, 2008, 07:24:14 pm »
was talking to a friend earlier today,another lifelong red. we were discussing the premier league,player behaviour/boardroom behaviour/ticket prices,fans behaviour, punditry and management behaviour.
the premier league is exciting for sure but everyone in football seems disconnected from the real world. its as if sky's coverage of football has turned the league into its own shit soap opera "dream team". decent men and heroes are hard to find in the game.we have a few more then most
in our set up but we certainly have our cancer as well. Will people start to tune out if football loses more of its soul,its certainly harder to enjoy
these days. Istanbul and the promise of the players still has me buying a ticket,but i can feel my iq drop when yet another overblown sky ad comes on the box. footballs personality is now cristiano ronaldo it used to be kenny dalglish.

wow i really am a moany bitch
would like javier bardem to do the coin tosses at anfield

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
Re: had enough of football?
« Reply #1 on: September 3, 2008, 11:13:27 am »
I completely agree with you.

Getting to the point where I just can't be arsed anymore.

Thank god for people like Jamie Carragher though.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2 on: September 3, 2008, 11:17:24 am »
footballs personality is now cristiano ronaldo it used to be kenny dalglish.

A good one-line summary of how things have changed. Yes you are a moany bitch but you aren't alone.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline darby86

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2008, 11:33:01 am »
Yes i agree. I don't know how much longer i can handle it!

Offline harrytrow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 3, 2008, 11:44:36 am »
I am monitoring the situation closely.
A decision will be made shortly in accordance with the necessary due dilligence
How come pointed questions recieve blunt answers

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2008, 12:41:03 pm »
The so called 'Game of the people' is becoming anything but.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2008, 12:42:05 pm »
This is from Eurosport. Seems Pele agrees with you guys.

Brazil legend Pele claims Manchester City's record signing Robinho "needs serious counselling".

The forward's move from Real Madrid to Eastlands has produced a storm of criticism in his native Brazil, prompting Pele to say Chelsea were "lucky" that City gazumped them in a £32.5 million deal on Monday.

"Chelsea are lucky. This boy needs some serious counselling. In my view he has been badly advised," said Pele.

The three-time World Cup-winner played the majority of his club career at Santos, where Robinho started out, and reflected concerns that the move was motivated purely by money.

Santos president Marcelo Teixeira stormed: "This is one of the most disgraceful episodes in Brazilian football. He is a player who is an idol to children, an example. But he has not acted like one."

The club's general manager, Jose Fernandes, added: "We are ashamed at having produced such a player."

Offline gerromiah

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2008, 12:57:45 pm »
Nope can't agree to be honest. The only reason it seems like dream team is because dream team is modelled on sky sports football to make it seem more believable. It's not like the pundits all talk about the footballer's life off the pitch like they might do in dream team. They just try and make it seem as exciting as they can, using their expertise gained from their years of playing and I think they do a pretty good job. In a way, football is a soap opera with it's unexpected twists and turns so there has to be a small element of that. I still can't get enough of football and still look forward to the weekend games as much as I did a few years ago, maybe more.

I do agree that the Robinho situation is unfair though and if man city do start to take the league over with their new money, I'll be fed up, but it won't be because of the amount of foreigners, punditry or any other minor differences to the old game.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2008, 01:04:06 pm by gerromiah »

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2008, 01:55:26 pm »
If I miss the game I don't care. I will download it later on if it's a good game.

I only watch Liverpool now (for the last few years). Very rarely will I watch other teams.
During GH's reign I barely watched a game in his last season. I hated it.

I haven't been to a game for about 10 years and if I never see them play in the flesh again I won't lose sleep.
I saw the second greatest team of all time (BBC vote - Brazil 1970 were 1st, we were 2nd) so seeing the current lot will be a let down anyway.

Anyway, I have a fair number of friends who like me were season ticket holders and they don't even watch the games on TV.

My dad and his friends who saw the Euro finals in the 70s and were there with Shanks at the helm don't bother watching it on TV now too.

My dad even canceled Sky this season (he only had it for the football)

Anyway, my opinion doesn't matter because the club has some sky sports junkie who thinks football started in 1992 and will gladly spend a fortune in the club shop every other weekend.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline mrsphilthefish

• Twitter terrier. Queen of the retweet
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will do what I can to get justice for our 96
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2008, 08:28:08 pm »
The so called 'Game of the people' is becoming anything but.

mr philthefish totally agrees with you. He says after the fiasco of the transfer deadline of money men taking the micky of offering X amount of millions for lets face it...a footballer, that none of us are ever going to earn in a lifetime, he wants out. We've been going to the game together since we were kids but he has had enough. It's causing ructions here in our house coz I still want to go but he said it's never going to be the same again. It's just money money money and not footy footy footy. He reckons soon the average fan is going to outpriced of going the game anyway.  :-[
There's been many mountains to climb but I can smell Justice.......soon our 96 reds will rest in peace JFT96

Offline Bridgy

• Don't cross him.
  • Main Stander
    • For all your needs
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2008, 08:43:27 pm »
Agree totally.  Realised at the Boro game its not fun any more.  I hate everything about the modern "Sky" game.  Straw that broke the camels back is YNWA being bumped for the "Premier League anthem".  Seriously thinking of jacking it in at the end of the season after 34 years.  If any one can give me one thing to be positive about I'll gladly take it but at the moment i feel like i'm being shagged up the arse by the club and game I once loved.  fuck 'em all.  I know i can't turn the clock back but fuck me is this what our game has come to!!!

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2008, 08:58:01 pm »
A whole host of things have lead me to seriously questioning to bother with it full stop. I've stopped going the games and I am on the verge of cancelling my Sky subscription (already fucked Setanta off after last season).
Ronaldo whoring himself out to Madrid after United made him the best player in the world and Premier League and European Champion. Joey Barton being welcomed back at Newcastle. Robinho's transfer to Man City. Our stadium plans being held back. Fuck, even that video of the Napoli fans just made me think I'm only sampling 10% of what football should be even if I carry on with it anyway.

While everyone was watching eagerly to see the conclusion of the transfer window, I just watched on thinking to myself what the fuck has happened to this sport?
Football is meant to be a bit of relief. Letting off a bit of steam. Meeting up with the lads after a shite week of work.
It's NOT counting down the seconds of a transfer window. It's not a fucking circus. It's not the 'family sport' people would love you to think it is.

At least, it SHOULDN'T be anyway.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2008, 09:25:35 pm »
Care to share the Napoli video? Sounds intriguing.
JFT97

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2008, 09:33:39 pm »
Wow. Watching all of these videos, from clubs like Panithanikos, Beşiktaş, River Plate, Frankfurt, Liege (I could go on Wisla, Dinamo, Sevilla) really shows how sanitized and stale our support has become.

I keep saying to myself I've had enough.But here's me already looking forward to the united game like a 6 year old at Christmas.
JFT97

Offline Super MAC

• ....and a nice pair of trousers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2008, 09:36:51 pm »
Ive been going to the match since I was 7 years old in the late 70's originally with my dad and as I got into my teens with a group of mates who always stood together on the kop. At that time there were gangs of young lads all over the kop many of whom, myself included remain season ticket holders to this day.

The thing that strikes me now when I go the game is the total lack of todays gangs of young lads going to the match together excluded by the inflated ticket prices, any lads in their early teens will generally be with their dad - A situation I particularly noticed during last seasons match against Man Utd when I was looking at their bunch of arse holes...sorry...fans and thought to myself that their average age must have been 40 plus.

This poses a question to me over the longevity of the current boom that football is exploiting, if the older supporters are getting pissed off (im with you on that - I too only watch matches involving Liverpool now wheras I used to watch anything going) and stop going in the long term where are the match going fans going to come from as the younger fans will be of the Sky generation and maybe not so happy to fork out £40 plus every other week.

I think the thing for me today is that I have indeed gone off football it pisses me off, I hate Sky sports and its 24 hour coverage, I hate the way Sky and Talk Sport give knobheads (presenters and callers alike) the opportunity to slag of my team incessently at any opportunity with their views taken as sound and valid contributions.....but I love Liverpool FC with a passion that will never leave me till the day they take me to Allerton Crem and burn me in a box....a passion twats like Gillette & Hicks could never muster up unless its for the dirty money they are rolling in while they exploit our great club.

All governments are lying cocksuckers - Bill Hicks

Offline Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér

• RAWK Revolutionary.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Guns don't kill people, chimps do!
« Reply #16 on: September 3, 2008, 09:38:19 pm »
In answer to the original question: Getting there!

But then again, I love LFC.

What a fucking conundrum.
“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

Offline mrsphilthefish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 3, 2008, 09:54:05 pm »
I've just had another coversation about this with mr philthefish.....we are sad that we can't pass our traditions on to our kids when they get older because of the money men. We loved going the match together with our mates as kids. Getting your pocket money and going the game. Walking to school and saving your bus fare if there was a mid week game. The kids can't even go now unless they're with an adult. Even a kids ticket is way over the odds of what most young kids get for pocket money anyway. The game for years has been gradually sold to the money men...this transfer deadline proves just how far it's gone. We know it'll never be the same again.....but it's probably gonna get a whole lot worse.
Liverpool is my passion that I soon may not be able to keep up with!
There's been many mountains to climb but I can smell Justice.......soon our 96 reds will rest in peace JFT96

Offline TheHulk

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: September 3, 2008, 10:00:54 pm »
Yep have to admit its all been pissing me off a little lately like some of the other posters here.

What topped it all off was today when I got up and read about Man Citys plans to bid something like £125m for Ronaldo. I mean thats just taking the piss.

And then you have this scenario where LFC can't get the top players to come and play for us. The thing is that IMO we are the biggest club in the world and we should have the best players. But all of the new money coming into the game means that the best players cos ridiculous sums of money. And I don't want us to buy the league like chelsea did - altho granted its not as simple as that.

After many games spent 'sitting' on the Kop, I had the misfortune to sit in the main stand for the chelsea game last season. First game, at home to chelsea, and Torres debut. You would think a good atmosphere? No chance, I was sat beside some Irish lad who was in Liverpool for a stag do and I'm sure he couldn't even name half of the players on the pitch.

And god forbid I try and sing along with the Kop - the looks I was getting. Even last week I went to the Stockholm derby - AIK vs Hammerby. Amazing atmosphere. Many songs to the same tune of some of ours - Campione, Seven nation army etc, but te difference was the whole stadium was joining in. Something you don't get very often at Anfield nowadays. The riots I saw after is a discussion for another thread  :)

To be honest I think the negativity is this thread is all down to those twats from across the atlantic. Once these guys fuck off I think all of our outlook will become much more positive and hopefully we can go back to enjoying football.

The sooner the better....

Offline mrsphilthefish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 3, 2008, 10:12:40 pm »

To be honest I think the negativity is this thread is all down to those twats from across the atlantic. Once these guys fuck off I think all of our outlook will become much more positive and hopefully we can go back to enjoying football.

I think you might be right there.....

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #20 on: September 3, 2008, 10:29:35 pm »
No, never, It's getting bad at the moment but if we can wait until the cancer has been removed from our club then better times will be on the way. All we need is sufficient support in the transfer market and a new stadium and things will look up.
Admittedly the goings on this week do make me think twice about things, but once it blows over and all this bullshit about City signing Torres, Gerrard, Ronaldo and every other living thing on the planet quietens down things will get back to normal, well almost.

Offline Super MAC

• ....and a nice pair of trousers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #21 on: September 3, 2008, 10:44:40 pm »
...and another thing that pisses me off.....the absolute filth and bile spewed out on the likes of You Tube clips associated with Liverpool, or other clubs fan forums...some outrageous shite about Hillsborough on Villas site last week...just makes you cringe when you think of the vermin we have in this country (I know we have our fair share but its still disgraceful).
All governments are lying cocksuckers - Bill Hicks

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #22 on: September 4, 2008, 01:31:42 am »
All these problems piss me off, but there's nothing that will stop me waking in the early hours of the morning to watch my beloved Liverpool FC, the amount of shite that this game has been pelted with pisses me off to no end, but I'll still be fascinated and obsessed with the mighty Liverpool FC. There's just something about football that i'm addicted to, it's like your girlfriend/wife, you get pissed of at them over things and you fight, etc..., but there's just something there that makes you keep coming back for more. You can change your head, but you can't change your heart.
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
« Reply #23 on: September 4, 2008, 11:22:28 am »

While I agree with you that Hicks and Gillet should just sell up and go - I am not sure that them going with be the panacea so many people think it will be. Let's assume DIC take over and start splashing cash left right and centre, doesn't that make LFC as bad as other clubs, what if they trumped City about paid 150 million for Ronaldo? Is that a solution?

The problem is not Hicks and Gillet, they are simply symptons of the cancer which is destroying football in the UK. Abu Dhabi didn't buy City because they have a love for the club, they bought it to make money; Abramovic didn't buy Chelsea because of a childhood dream to own the Blues, he bought it for a status symbol (and a way of getting his dirty money out of Russia if you are as cynical as me); the Glazers come from closer to Manchester than most of their fans, but the bought the club as an investment - the sport we love has become just another business, the soul has been scooped out and replaced with unscrupulous money grabbers from around the globe.

Offline sfeirinho!!

• Anny Roader
  • El KaasThorr
« Reply #24 on: September 4, 2008, 01:03:54 pm »
Abu Dhabi didn't buy City because they have a love for the club, they bought it to make money

No way!! Abu dhabi is worth hundreds of billions It will not count on Man city to generate cash!!!
It's just a playtoy for a rich guy who cant wait for the new football manager game to come out...

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
« Reply #25 on: September 4, 2008, 01:25:36 pm »
No way!! Abu dhabi is worth hundreds of billions It will not count on Man city to generate cash!!!
It's just a playtoy for a rich guy who cant wait for the new football manager game to come out...

Either way they aren't in it because they love Manchester City.

Offline CoolHandLuke

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: September 4, 2008, 02:50:30 pm »
OK,

Two issues here that seem to be getting their edges smudged into one. Firstly LFC itself - The Yank issue and the (IMO) piss poor football we are currently playing. Secondly - The state of the game itself in the Premiership.

If we were just discussing the issues surrounding LFC then, no, I haven't had enough of football. The Yanks will hopefully go at some stage in the future and Rafa might start getting a grip of the team and putting together a title push. It may be that Rafa doesn't get there and he ends up out of the door, but we would still all live in hope of the next manager turning our fortunes around.

It's the second (much bigger) issue that has got me close to the exit turnstiles once and for all. All the previous posters touch on various things that are making them sick of the game. I'll list them........

Lack of atmosphere
Ticket Prices
Constantly changing KO times and dates for SKY
No kids at the games
Multi Billionaires coming in to buy a new toy
Overpriced/Overpaid players not performing
Overpriced/Overpaid players living in their own fucking bubble and not understanding what it's all about

In the future we can look forward to.....

Even less atmosphere
New grounds full of corporate boxes
Season Ticket prices over £1000
Players transferring constantly for ever increasing wages to whichever club they want to whore themselves out to

I'm totally sick of it. It ain't gonna get any better unless the FA/Premier League do something major about it (capped wages/transfer limits etc.)

The bubble is extremely close to bursting and I don't think the majority of people can see it yet. But trust me.....it's going to happen.

I love LFC but I think that very soon I will be attending my last game and I'll just have to live with the great memories I've got of the club.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #27 on: September 4, 2008, 10:16:28 pm »
I lost some of my love for football after Athens and I don't think I'll ever get it back.

A Final played in a stadium that wasn't up to the job.
Cost twice the amount to get to than an all inclusive holiday for a fortnight in the same country normally would.
A lot of our fans who should have been there not getting a ticket or having to bunk in. While the club gave tickets to any Tom, Prick or Parry.

Then you get idiots like Richard Scudamore wanting to play a 39th Premiership game in the arse end of nowhere.

After the Boro game last week I said.

YNWA not being played when the players come out of the tunnel.
Electronic advertising boards.
Tickets at Anfield over £40 when including the booking fees.

3 reminders in 3 days that LFC is changing in 3 days for me last week.

Now we cannot compete in the transfer market with Chelsea, Man City or United and we cannot afford to move stadium.

If it wasn't for that feeling of euphoria I got when Torres broke the deadlock at Sunderland or when Gerrard got the winner against Boro. Or the relief when Kuyt found the net against Standard Liege last week I'd happily pack it all in. A few years ago I could never see the time when I'd stop going the match but I'd be surprised if I'm still going in 10 years time.

4 years ago I'd have hated for what happened with Abramovic at Chelsea to happen to us, now I don't think I'd bat an eyelid such is my desire for us to return to our former glory.

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 4, 2008, 10:56:55 pm »
I've just had another coversation about this with mr philthefish.....we are sad that we can't pass our traditions on to our kids when they get older because of the money men. We loved going the match together with our mates as kids. Getting your pocket money and going the game. Walking to school and saving your bus fare if there was a mid week game. The kids can't even go now unless they're with an adult. Even a kids ticket is way over the odds of what most young kids get for pocket money anyway. The game for years has been gradually sold to the money men...this transfer deadline proves just how far it's gone. We know it'll never be the same again.....but it's probably gonna get a whole lot worse.
Liverpool is my passion that I soon may not be able to keep up with!

tell mrphilthefish that took me right back ....that's just as I remember it....

sadly, right on the money 

« Last Edit: September 4, 2008, 11:12:28 pm by manifest »

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #29 on: September 4, 2008, 10:57:19 pm »
Beware.......this makes depressing reading !

Not quite had enough.....but I'm slowly getting there, bit by bit I'm doing things I never thought possible years ago.

Latest thing I did was cancel Sky, used to love the big matches ( whether they involved us or not ) but got to the point last  season,when one player too many was rolling on the deck, an uninjured cheating modern day twat of of a man, I thought what's the point of paying good money on watching a game were cheats seem to prosper.

I'd already accepted that personally I'd been priced out of the game, and had learnt to live with that, but that's not an excuse to give up on footy,that's to do with my own personal financial postion and choice, but If I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't spend it on football anymore anyway.

I accept that times change,and the club owe me nothing for following them home and away for throughout the 70's and 80's, but what I can't accept now is how the game in general has gone. All seater stadiums is purely a money making exercise, but the greedy bastards at the top have lied their way into convincing people it was the only way forward after Hillsborough.

The rot set in then, the atmosphere at the grounds now is virtually non existent, and I'm afraid even at Liverpool now there's nothing that special that separates it from most other prem teams.  A decent atmosphere created by the fans of old standing on a terrace won't pay the bills, so that sort of fan has well and truly had their day.

I still love my club, the fact they are playing shite now, next week or for the rest of my life doesn't come into it,but that doesn't I still care about them in the way I used to, if we lose a game I get on with it, I might be pissed off for a short while, but I'm soon over it, cos I've lost the passion for what it means to win or lose.

Without a passion for anything in any walk of life, you'll soon get fed up, and a ' take it or leave it'  attitude takes over, that's were I'm heading for in football.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2008, 11:00:05 pm by Alloy »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline mugsy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: September 5, 2008, 12:56:09 am »
I am getting there also.  I have become very fed up with the Premier League.  Surprisingly I had more fun watching the Olympics and getting behind the cyclists, rowers etc.  My lads have become instant fans and I am taking them to see if it is a sport they want to learn about and is not a fad.  To be honest I thought I would never say this but if they do want to look at being a sportsman in the future then I actually might prefer them to go in to the cycling or rowing rather than be a footballer even with all its money involved.  As a life long red I thought I would never say that.

However my youngest a girl is the football fan.  She is only in primary school and plays for the team with the boys (although I am biased she is best player there), she wants to be a footballer at the moment although it can all change.  She loves Nando and wants to watch football all the time.  I am going to start taking her to see the reserves play and the lower teams.  Unfortunately I may have to take her to see the girls football if thats what she wants to be in the future.  Although I am loosing my passion in football she is starting to gain that love for the sport.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2008, 12:57:48 am by mugsy »
To all lurkers from other clubs "greetings!"

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 5, 2008, 01:18:58 am »
The rot set in then, the atmosphere at the grounds now is virtually non existent, and I'm afraid even at Liverpool now there's nothing that special that separates it from most other prem teams.  A decent atmosphere created by the fans of old standing on a terrace won't pay the bills, so that sort of fan has well and truly had their day.

I keep it alive here in this forum.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 5, 2008, 07:28:50 am »
I count myself lucky to have witnessed our glory years - late 70s and the 80s. Football today is very different and the money in it is corrupting everything good

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #33 on: September 6, 2008, 11:56:47 am »
I hate all modern footballers, including our players as well. The players of the past I love however.

Granted, egotism and stupidity is rife amongst modern day footballers. But what exactly have the likes of, for example, Dirk Kuyt or Fernando Torres done to earn that hatred? There are good men out there playing football today, you can't generalise about them all like that, just because the majority might be arrogant or crass.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #34 on: September 6, 2008, 01:29:25 pm »
I count myself lucky to have witnessed our glory years - late 70s and the 80s. Football today is very different and the money in it is corrupting everything good

Me too, but I think what Stussy says in the previous post is correct also. Players like Torres are few and far between, Dirk is in the same mould although I don't think he should be a starter every week, and Yossi turned down a fortune from Russia to stay with us. But even players like Carra let themselves down these days, that's what worries me.I've admired Carra for years but he should have waited a while before bringing out his book. It's the way modern footballers think these days. Too much money is thrust upon them at a young age and they just can't deal with it. Did you see that photo of Robbie Savage turning up at Derby the other day in his £186,000 Lamborghini, and he's just a journeyman who can't even get in the team at the moment. I'll never have had enough of Liverpool and I'll always go to the game whenever I can but I don't watch other games on the TV as much as I used to now. It's sickening watching some greedy, bad tempered little prima donnas spouting bile when a decision goes against them, and the top teams are the worst offenders imo, people like Ronaldo, Rooney, Terry, Lampard, Cashley Cole, Barton etc. get away with murder, just a bunch of spoilt little twats.

Offline carling1

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #35 on: September 6, 2008, 04:30:45 pm »
i despise football and how it's all about money.

the fans i grew up with and used to go to games with have nearly all found something else to do on a match day.

the matchday experience is not a patch on what it used to be.

the past 2 years i've sold on my season ticket. i only choose to go to the odd home game now. next weeks manc game is my first home of the season. but even this game is nothing. a dinner kick off,no pre match atmosphere and certainly not the hatred any more.

i choose only to go to the away games. but to be honest the ones i've made this season i wish i'd have stayed in the pub.

the only thing i miss about football is meeting up with the lads and having a pre/post match pint. the game is the worst part of the day :'(

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 6, 2008, 07:26:14 pm »
Me too. The game is not the same, a shoulder charge has to be perfected or its a foul and you can't show your studs at all when years ago you'd push a high ball with the underneath of your boot.

Then there's the obscenity of its finance. How many items do you purchase which go indirectly into already rich players, agents & administrators pockets due to sponsorship. Ford, Calsberg, Samsung etc.

And yes, the fuckin agents make me puke.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #37 on: September 6, 2008, 07:37:17 pm »
If you've had enough of football watch Setanta 1 now - there's fuck all football being played there.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #38 on: September 6, 2008, 08:44:02 pm »
This thread will be music to the ears of those running the PL.

They don't want you moaning fuckers at the match, not buyin all the gear, cancelling your sky and not phoning 606.

You lot know too much about football and are not impressed by the millionaire lifestyle of the modern day footballer.

You lot see through when the likes of Lee Dixon and Glen Hoddle spend 2 hours questioning the tactics of a European Cup Winning manager.

Think you're pissed off now, wait till mascots and music after goals come to Anfield.

So do what you like, sack it off, they won't miss you and they don't care

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 6, 2008, 08:47:41 pm »
This thread will be music to the ears of those running the PL.

They don't want you moaning fuckers at the match, not buyin all the gear, cancelling your sky and not phoning 606.

You lot know too much about football and are not impressed by the millionaire lifestyle of the modern day footballer.

You lot see through when the likes of Lee Dixon and Glen Hoddle spend 2 hours questioning the tactics of a European Cup Winning manager.

Think you're pissed off now, wait till mascots and music after goals come to Anfield.

So do what you like, sack it off, they won't miss you and they don't care

Of course, you are 100% right. That said, and I realise this is a terribly defeatist attitude - they have won and I've given up caring. I respect everybody that fights for lowering ticket prices, safe standing areas, as well as RTK and whatever else, but I've lost too much interest to truly give a fuck. The sport is a far cry to the one I fell in love with, so what is the point?