Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 601015 times)

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #2960 on: January 6, 2017, 01:31:03 pm »
Off to Mowgli on Water Street tonight, read good things in Echo etc. Anyone been to either that one or one on Bold Street? Same menus I believe.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #2961 on: January 6, 2017, 01:32:31 pm »
Off to Mowgli on Water Street tonight, read good things in Echo etc. Anyone been to either that one or one on Bold Street? Same menus I believe.

A mate of mine went over Christmas to Water Street said it was boss. Really smart interior compared to Bold Street.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2962 on: January 6, 2017, 01:40:51 pm »
Booked the Italian Club buddy. Ta very much ;D :wave

Superb in there, been a few times and always top notch
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2963 on: January 7, 2017, 03:05:00 pm »
Going to Maray tonight, can't wait the menu looks right up my street.

How was it after mate?

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2964 on: January 10, 2017, 08:07:11 pm »
How was it after mate?

It was brilliant! A few things on the menu were really great, the fillet steak was beautiful and the roasted cauliflower was amazing. Cocktails were great as well. Came to about £45 a head with us having a really good go on the drinks

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2965 on: January 31, 2017, 10:49:54 pm »
Taking my parents to Mowgli on Water St for Valentine's, really looking forward to it but hope I won't be third wheeling too much!

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #2966 on: February 1, 2017, 02:36:46 pm »
Went to Slims Pork Chop Express on Seel street on Monday, was looking forward to it as I had been about a year ago and the food was great....

Waited over an hour for food, when we told the waiter it seemed clear that they had forgotten about our food. Food arrived 20 minutes later (after the time we were supposedly supposed to give the table back according to the booking). Order was wrong & things were missing took another 15 minutes to sort. The beef rib we ordered was awful, I know this is a fatty cut of meat but it was literally just a lump of fat. Told the waiter who offered an alternative and drinks off the bill. I later asked for another beer which never arrived- had given up by then. Not sure if this place as gone down hill but I certainly won't be rushing back.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2967 on: February 1, 2017, 04:02:58 pm »
Booked the Italian Club buddy. Ta very much ;D :wave

How was it??

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2968 on: February 1, 2017, 06:29:05 pm »
^ I went to the Italian Club with my family last Friday and it was boss - had the Penne all'arabiata which was fantastic, and the rest of my crew had Lasagne - really good - house red was very good. I love the local family connection with Little Italy in Gerrrard Gardens too, my parents were from those parts and always said great things about the Muscatelli clan and the others - great folks - and good to see the younger generation keeping the culture alive.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2969 on: February 4, 2017, 02:07:23 pm »
Went to Slims Pork Chop Express on Seel street on Monday, was looking forward to it as I had been about a year ago and the food was great....

Waited over an hour for food, when we told the waiter it seemed clear that they had forgotten about our food. Food arrived 20 minutes later (after the time we were supposedly supposed to give the table back according to the booking). Order was wrong & things were missing took another 15 minutes to sort. The beef rib we ordered was awful, I know this is a fatty cut of meat but it was literally just a lump of fat. Told the waiter who offered an alternative and drinks off the bill. I later asked for another beer which never arrived- had given up by then. Not sure if this place as gone down hill but I certainly won't be rushing back.

Definitely gone downhill. Used to have a bigger better menu and they've put their prices right up.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #2970 on: February 4, 2017, 09:39:01 pm »
Was in the Pen Factory on Hope St.  Charged £6.2 for THE smallest portions it was almost laughable. Taste was alright, but there's no excusing the lack of food they serve for the price.

Meanwhile Big Bowl Noodle is still kicking arse!
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2971 on: February 10, 2017, 01:50:28 pm »
Booked into Maray on Tuesday with the Mrs.

Not been yet so looking forward to it after hearing good things!
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #2972 on: March 1, 2017, 11:51:37 am »
Off to Neon Jamon on Berry St followed by the theatre on Saturday night for date night with the wife. In-Laws are having the baby over night for the first time so really looking forward to it.

First time going to the one in town although we've been to the one in South Liverpool many times. Great that they let you book tables now! Anyway, sure it'll be amazing as always. Can't wait.

Offline liversaint

• Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2973 on: March 1, 2017, 01:51:14 pm »
Off to Neon Jamon on Berry St followed by the theatre on Saturday night for date night with the wife. In-Laws are having the baby over night for the first time so really looking forward to it.

First time going to the one in town although we've been to the one in South Liverpool many times. Great that they let you book tables now! Anyway, sure it'll be amazing as always. Can't wait.

Its really good mate, been loads of times and never had anything other than great food, beer and wine.

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2974 on: March 2, 2017, 02:45:52 pm »
Its really good mate, been loads of times and never had anything other than great food, beer and wine.

It's making me damn hungry just thinking about it.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2975 on: March 2, 2017, 05:56:31 pm »
Was in Et alia on aigburth road , been a good few times and always have a nice meal . An Italian has opened on woolton road in childwall called Vicenza di cucina , opened before xmas and have walked in four times or rung on the day and still havent  been able to get a table

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #2976 on: March 3, 2017, 11:35:50 am »

It's fantastic mate, I haven't been to the one in South Liverpool but out of every restaurant I've eaten in, in Liverpool, this is by far my favourite. If you get dessert, the Nutella cheesecake is lovely!
Justice for the 97

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2977 on: March 3, 2017, 09:26:00 pm »
Mum is over next weekend. Said her choice as a treat and she picked Italian.

Shes a little fussy. Better playing safe with Amalia (it's a favourite post run haunt for our club) or is there a better option?

I've taken an ex to il forno years back. But can't testify if it's good  now.

Cheers

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2978 on: March 4, 2017, 01:32:56 am »
Mum is over next weekend. Said her choice as a treat and she picked Italian.

Shes a little fussy. Better playing safe with Amalia (it's a favourite post run haunt for our club) or is there a better option?

I've taken an ex to il forno years back. But can't testify if it's good  now.

Cheers

I think Amalia is a good safe option but if you are loookkng to push the boat out a little and go for something a little more authentic, I would go with Italian club fish on Bold St. Good few recommendations on here for it!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2979 on: March 4, 2017, 12:22:12 pm »
It's fantastic mate, I haven't been to the one in South Liverpool but out of every restaurant I've eaten in, in Liverpool, this is by far my favourite. If you get dessert, the Nutella cheesecake is lovely!

Neon is still the best tapas in Liverpool. Went last week and it was sensational. Mushroom sourdough bread, bravas, croquettes and mini hamburgers.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2980 on: March 7, 2017, 03:28:59 pm »
Just been with a mate to the new tapas place in Woolton called Sabrosa, it was really very good and cheap as well, I had the 3 tapas for £6.95 and you get garlic bread and salad thrown in. Lovely Spainish staff, well worth a visit if you are down that way but it is only open until 18.00 though they are waiting to hear if they can stay open until 10 and then try and get a booze licence. Its on the far end of Hunts Cross Avenue in a place that was a café.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #2981 on: March 7, 2017, 03:59:19 pm »
Went to Almost Famous on Saturday and it was absolutely fucking boss! The burgers were immense! If you like burgers...get on it pronto! ;) 8) :wave

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2982 on: March 7, 2017, 10:54:08 pm »
Another good weekend spent; with some restaurants also visited..

Decided to give the normal favourite; italian club a miss this time, but will be visiting next time for sure..

Had breakfast/brunch at the brunch club and bill's. Thought brunch club was very good last time, but both service and food was a little disappointing this time.. Bills was a pleasant surprise however; beneath bierkeller in tourist paradise but very good service and the food was good as well.

Had dinners at san carlo and sapporo; san carlo was quite strange - mini-skirts and high heeels combined with quite a few football shirts. Service and food were good though. an excellent ossabucco was had; the others went for the stake/lobster; very good lobster - steak little bit on the dull side..

sapporo - didn't know what to expect; fun experience but getting close to the tacky side; had a perfect lamb teriayki but the chicken the others had was on the overcooked/dry side.

Kind of an old-timer, but had to say lunya for lunch was the best experience; very good service; tapas selection very good with especially some good cheese and the recommended wine was very good..

It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Sir Afghan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2983 on: March 8, 2017, 09:53:08 am »
Allerton Rd is a getting better by the week at the moment! In the last couple of months I've been to 3 Piggies (the latest venture from the Tribeca / Neon Jamon folks) a couple of times, great place for a drink with some excellent homemade bar snacks (sausage rolls, scotch eggs that sort of thing) and on Saturday I had a ploughmans platter and it was absolutely brilliant, 3 types of cheese, ham hock, sliced meat, sausage roll, couple of pickles, it's was all top draw.

Went to Miyagis on Friday for the first time and it was great, the bao buns expecially were good, as were some of the fish dishes. Bit pricey but deffo worth it. Went to Maray recently too (think I mentioned that on here already) and it's really great stuff, we've tried to recreate the crispy cauliflower at home with mixed results.

Also been to Tiger Rock, Gracias, Neon Jamon, Furrow (for brekkie) and I'd go back to all of them.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2984 on: March 8, 2017, 10:34:34 am »
Allerton Rd is a getting better by the week at the moment! In the last couple of months I've been to 3 Piggies (the latest venture from the Tribeca / Neon Jamon folks) a couple of times, great place for a drink with some excellent homemade bar snacks (sausage rolls, scotch eggs that sort of thing) and on Saturday I had a ploughmans platter and it was absolutely brilliant, 3 types of cheese, ham hock, sliced meat, sausage roll, couple of pickles, it's was all top draw.

Went to Miyagis on Friday for the first time and it was great, the bao buns expecially were good, as were some of the fish dishes. Bit pricey but deffo worth it. Went to Maray recently too (think I mentioned that on here already) and it's really great stuff, we've tried to recreate the crispy cauliflower at home with mixed results.

Also been to Tiger Rock, Gracias, Neon Jamon, Furrow (for brekkie) and I'd go back to all of them.

Well jealous of your eating schedule! Sounds super tasty.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Sir Afghan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2985 on: March 8, 2017, 12:47:02 pm »
Well jealous of your eating schedule! Sounds super tasty.

You wouldn't be jealous of my bank balance though i suspect!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #2986 on: March 8, 2017, 07:08:04 pm »
Doing a bit of shopping in town today so fancied a bite of lunch..walking up Bold St the amount of 'chain' eateries and those about to open appears to be reaching the point of saturation which could affect the viablity of the independents....having said that there appears to have been a hike in prices in the Independents across the City and reduction in portions in some places...anyway decided to swerve Bold St and walking down Duke street , passed the Brunch Club,  looked good but said on the menu £12  for their  'Ruebens Sandwich' ..which to me is  a ridiculous ask in Liverpool...( anyone who's been care to advise on quality/price?)...so headed to the Cow and Co , cafe on Cleveland Sqaure..who's Reuben was knocked out at £5!...I had the special, toasted souderbread, Halloumi, mushroom and spinach..good portion..£4.50!

Offline liversaint

• Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2987 on: March 8, 2017, 07:56:33 pm »
Doing a bit of shopping in town today so fancied a bite of lunch..walking up Bold St the amount of 'chain' eateries and those about to open appears to be reaching the point of saturation which could affect the viablity of the independents....having said that there appears to have been a hike in prices in the Independents across the City and reduction in portions in some places...anyway decided to swerve Bold St and walking down Duke street , passed the Brunch Club,  looked good but said on the menu £12  for their  'Ruebens Sandwich' ..which to me is  a ridiculous ask in Liverpool...( anyone who's been care to advise on quality/price?)...so headed to the Cow and Co , cafe on Cleveland Sqaure..who's Reuben was knocked out at £5!...I had the special, toasted souderbread, Halloumi, mushroom and spinach..good portion..£4.50!

My daughter has been to Brunch club- from what she said it was good, and it can't have been too bad on the price or she would deffo have said. i will try and get a bit more and pass it on.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2988 on: March 8, 2017, 08:11:04 pm »
£12 for a sarnie!  :lmao

They must sell well,who pays that really?

Just checked & feckin Jamie Oliver charges £10.50 for his reuben sandwhich.
Insane.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline The Evil One

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2989 on: March 8, 2017, 09:03:35 pm »
Bold Street full of chain eateries? Are you having a laugh? Liverpool One is what you call chain eateries. I would say Bold Street has one of the UKs best nucleus of affordable varied independent eateries anywhere. If by chain you mean the likes of Leaf, Miyagis, Maray, Mowgli, Bakchich etc who have recently other branches either in Liverpool and Manchester then that is crazy.

Now if you are talking about quality, now thats another story, but I'd say 70% of the eateries on Bold Street serve up perfectly passable food for their respective price points.

« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 09:06:27 pm by The Evil One »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2990 on: March 8, 2017, 10:14:22 pm »
Bold Street full of chain eateries? Are you having a laugh? Liverpool One is what you call chain eateries. I would say Bold Street has one of the UKs best nucleus of affordable varied independent eateries anywhere. If by chain you mean the likes of Leaf, Miyagis, Maray, Mowgli, Bakchich etc who have recently other branches either in Liverpool and Manchester then that is crazy.

Now if you are talking about quality, now thats another story, but I'd say 70% of the eateries on Bold Street serve up perfectly passable food for their respective price points.

Agree with all of this, with added emphasis on the part in bold.

Is this like when you have a favourite band but start to resent them when other people get onto them and they begin doing well ;D

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #2991 on: March 8, 2017, 11:10:55 pm »
Did I say it was only chains? go back and read it again......there are chain pizza , mexican etc starting up...I didnt say there weren't Independents I said the 'chain' growth will cause a saturation that will damage the independents.

Offline The Evil One

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2992 on: March 9, 2017, 12:42:31 am »
The only chain places due to open are Pho and El Mexicana. What other restaurant on Bold Street can be classed as a chain restaurant?

As shown with the closures of Raggas and Seoul Kimchi, only the better eateries survive. The area has never been busier and that only seems to increase with each new opening. The chains can open but people are savvier these days and will show support to those who deserve their custom, so I don't see saturation as a factor.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2993 on: March 9, 2017, 07:44:47 am »
There are a couple of other noodle bars about to open as well.

I really do enjoy walking up Bold street and taking in all the different food on show.

Chinese, Indian, Turkish, Mexican, British, Coffee shops, cafes.

Cheap, middle, expensive

Looks like there is going to be an artisan style bread and cake shop opening up soon as well.

I'll never complain about over saturation of Bold street. Liverpool needs good local businesses.

Went to Free State Kitchen last night. By far my favourite burger place in town. 

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2994 on: March 9, 2017, 08:36:49 am »
Need to get back to Nolita Cantina, keep meaning to.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2995 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:38 pm »
Went to Almost Famous on Saturday and it was absolutely fucking boss! The burgers were immense! If you like burgers...get on it pronto! ;) 8) :wave

Going there tonight Titi but the one in Manchester near the Opera House.

Gonna watch 'Bat out of Hell'.

Just looking at the 'Almost Famous' menu online. My mouth is fucking watering already :)

Offline Sir Afghan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2996 on: March 10, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »
Gonna watch 'Bat out of Hell'.

Load of my family went to that a couple of weeks ago and it was so shit they left at the interval. So fingers crossed it's improved a bit since then!  :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2997 on: March 10, 2017, 12:52:55 pm »
Load of my family went to that a couple of weeks ago and it was so shit they left at the interval. So fingers crossed it's improved a bit since then!  :wave

To be honest mate, my missus mentioned some shows had been cancelled so I did wonder.

Ah well, I'll enjoy me Almost Famous burger if nothing else :)

Offline Sir Afghan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2998 on: March 10, 2017, 10:26:13 pm »
To be honest mate, my missus mentioned some shows had been cancelled so I did wonder.

Ah well, I'll enjoy me Almost Famous burger if nothing else :)

They ended up going to brewdog instead, which sounded like a good plan to me. Let us know how you got on, did you make it to the end?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2999 on: March 11, 2017, 12:33:26 am »
They ended up going to brewdog instead, which sounded like a good plan to me. Let us know how you got on, did you make it to the end?

Just back mate and I swear on my kids lives the whole theatre was on its feet and gave a standing ovation.  Was a fantastic night and included every song from the album and more (Deadringer etc) and they were sang brilliantly.

A couple of typical theatre type non-Meatloaf filler songs here and there but otherwise great. 

All I can think of is your fam may have gone on one of the first nights and they have ironed out any problems since then. I didn't see one person leave early.

Titi Camara is also correct. 'Almost Famous' burgers are simply stunning and to keep the thread on topic there is one in Liverpool. Highly recommended :lickin