Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls VI  (Read 674 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
The Elder Scrolls VI
« on: August 13, 2021, 10:20:53 am »
The Elder Scrolls in my favourite ever gaming franchise, and the 4th iteration, Oblivion, might be my most played single player game ever, it was the first ever RPG of this style I'd ever played and it utterly absorbed me. It might not look much now, even a touch cartoonish, but at the time I thought it was an immense work that I found charming, fascinating and immersive beyond any gaming experience I'd ever had. I don't think that game had any quest or playstyle that I didn't complete during the thousands of hours I spent playing it.

Skyrim followed, which for all the criticism it got as a watered-down RPG experience was still an immense game, that probably drew criticism due to Bethesda's milking of it rather than the game itself. It certainly didn't capture my imagination in the way Oblivion did, but I still put massive hours into the game and still play it now, ten years on from release. My love for these two titles did lead to me getting Morrowind, which has fantastic lore and a good story, but in all honesty it felt like a slog for me with the combat so clunky that it destroyed immersion. I know it was incredible for it's time, it just hasn't aged well in my opinion.

So now, with Skyrim approaching a decade old, there are a few trickles of news and a couple of teasers as to where the game might be set. We've had Vvardenfell of Morrowind, Skyrim, Cyrodiil and past iterations have taken in High Rock and Hammerfell in one shape or form. Obviously ESO has spanned the breadth of Tamriel but I've never played it and am not interested in an MMO.

Elsweyr and Black Marsh, as cool as they would be, would probably now feel too alien on their own to set the game in and still market to a mass audience. Equally, the lore of places like Valenwood (carnivorous Elves living on huge migratory tree-cities) may be a bit too weird a sell these days, even given Morrowind being equally out there. Skyrim had the cool Viking aesthetic whilst also riding the wave of Game of Thrones hysteria at the time, so was extremely easy to market to a Western Audience. I think from the teasers, a High Rock/ Hammerfell combo would be a good idea. You can have your easily marketable more typical 'western knights and magic' content from High Rock, which will be Bretons in French-themed medieval chateaus and castles etc as well as Hammerfell including deserts, seas, sand-swathed fortresses etc and a completely different aesthetic to High Rock.

Story wise, it's difficult to pinpoint what they'll do and what era it will be set in. The first four games were all set within 50 years of one another as far as I'm aware, and acted in more of a sequel-type fashion. They then jumped over 200 years to Skyrim and completely changed the make-up of the lore and where the story of Tamriel was at that point. I'd like to stay in a similar timeframe to Skyrim and would like to see a story geared towards the resolution of the tensions between The Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion. Hammerfell fits into this as the only area that ceded from the Empire but still fought off the Dominion to maintain independence, as of Skyrim times.

Personally I never really enjoyed the dragons, so have no strong wish to see them return. I also think the Elder Scrolls needs to stay in that rough time setting because swords, magic, bows etc suits it far better than advancing too far. It needs to stay absolutely distinct from Fallout for example.

I want it to stay a true RPG experience and not water it down any further, Skyrim took the formula a bit too far away from what it had been in the previous games and removed too much of the challenge and complexity. Morrowind and Oblivion has a few gameplay elements I'd like to see reinstated, even if it does add to the game feeling a touch less accessible to casual players (won't happen). I also want them to remove the hand-holding element that came with Skyrim, direct pointers showing you to every single thing even if you realistically had no way of knowing that information.

What do you anticipate? What do you want to see? Will you get it day one?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Elder Scrolls VI
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 01:03:10 pm »
Gonna see it in 2026 at the earliest
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 01:51:26 pm »
Gonna see it in 2026 at the earliest
I don't have any industry knowledge or reason to believe, but given the teasers and how long ago it was announced, surely 2023/24? What would cause it needing another 5 years from now? Starfield's release?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 02:58:26 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 04:57:33 pm »
My experiences with TES are pretty much the same as yours! Started with Oblivion, never been that gripped by a game before or since. Skyrim for all the criticism it gets is still an incredible game. Like you, I think Morrowind has aged too much for someone who didn't play it back then to really enjoy now.

I think Elsweyr would be doable as a setting, but Black Marsh impossible. I agree with you that some combination of High Rock and Hammerfell is the most likely, with the medieval French knight aesthetic combined with the Persian-themed culture of the Redguards.

For me, given how much Skyrim built up the Thalmor as a universally hated antagonist, it would be really dissatisfying if resolving that conflict isn't at the centre of the next game. It would piss off just about every player if they decide to skip the period and explain it away in in-game books instead. I'd be staggered if they were stupid enough to not make it the main part of the story. But I wonder if they'll leave a gap between Skyrim and the next game so they can say that the Dragonborn died. It's difficult to imagine playing say 10 years later with the Dragonborn still running around Tamriel somewhere!

I'd also like to see less of the "do everything with one character" thing. The main questline, being the main part of the game, should be open to everybody regardless of the choices they make. But it's always been a bit jarring that you can lead all of the guilds with the same character. I'd also like to see religion given a bit more weight: maybe knightly orders devoted to aedric gods you can join (would work well with High Rock's medieval theme), and on the flipside, daedric cults that go a bit deeper than "do this thing for X and get his artifact". But these choices would be mutually exclusive: you can't be an Akatosh worshipper and a Molag Bal worshipper, for instance.

I don't see any of that actually happening, sadly.

Paradoxically, I'm looking forward to it, but have low expectations. I hope there's no multiplayer elements and I don't want to see technology advancing very much, but worry that they'll introduce a bit of both. I'll definitely buy it, probably not on day one, games are too expensive to justify that for me these days.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 06:30:43 pm »
Skyrim is my favourite video game of all time, nothing comes close. I played it at a time in my life where I had no children and had time to fully dive into the world of Skyrim.
As long as ES6 is a single-player game, I don’t care where it’s set or what the story is. Give me a main quest, a shitload of side quests and hundreds of things to collect. Only worry I have right now is that Microsoft will make it a PC/XBOX exclusive. They will be well within their rights but it would be in bad taste to rob long time fans of another Elder Scrolls experience. I started with Morrowind by the way.

Like many others here I’m not holding my breath. It will be released some time in the future.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 06:40:51 pm »
I like the The Elder Scrolls series, but I'm not as sold on it as others are. The main reason is, that the Gothic-series (Gothic 1-3) came out at roughly the same time as Morrowind and Oblivion and I was always more of a Gothic-guy. I played Morrowind a bit, but in the end got tired of it a bit. Didn't like the auto-levelling of monsters in Oblivion. I'm also not that big a fan of how The Elder Scrolls does open worlds. It's basically "You can go wherever whenever you want" and personally I prefer open worlds that at least give me some guidance by maybe locking off certain parts of the world until you've completed certain parts of the story or having areas where the monsters are getting stronger gradually therefore giving you a certain path through the world. I played Skyrim quite a bit, but at one point just couldn't be arsed anymore, because I was pretty far in the main story, but had only seen a fraction of the world. I know that it's kind of the point of open world games to basically find stuff yourself, but at the same time I think a little guidance is never a bad thing...

So, I would like the next one to be a bit less "open worldy" not meaning it should be small levels, but I would want a world where you go from place to place to reach the end of the game instead of being thrown in there and be told "Go wherever you want until you're at the end". Don't have much hope that this will happen, but I'll play it regardless.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 06:43:24 pm by stoa »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 10:30:26 am »
So, I would like the next one to be a bit less "open worldy" not meaning it should be small levels, but I would want a world where you go from place to place to reach the end of the game instead of being thrown in there and be told "Go wherever you want until you're at the end". Don't have much hope that this will happen, but I'll play it regardless.
Fair points and an interesting take, I think I would have to disagree on the discovery and open world aspect though, that's kind of what the Elder Scrolls hinges on in many ways, it's not going to change I wouldn't have thought. I think it depends on your playstyle and preferences, but many, myself included, would probably think Skyrim was far too 'hand-holdy' and guided you to stuff too easily. It also artificially created quests you'd struggle to avoid, to ensure you didn't miss out on big set-pieces or the better crafted environments.

Skyrim is my favourite video game of all time, nothing comes close. I played it at a time in my life where I had no children and had time to fully dive into the world of Skyrim.
As long as ES6 is a single-player game, I don’t care where it’s set or what the story is. Give me a main quest, a shitload of side quests and hundreds of things to collect. Only worry I have right now is that Microsoft will make it a PC/XBOX exclusive. They will be well within their rights but it would be in bad taste to rob long time fans of another Elder Scrolls experience. I started with Morrowind by the way.

Like many others here I’m not holding my breath. It will be released some time in the future.
I think it'll definitely remain single player, thanks to the existence and good support for ESO, which probably precludes the chances of Bethesda turning it into an MMO or with any multiplayer elements. I can 100% see it being a Game Pass title though, as shit as that is for the wider market. It may be one of the few titles big enough that Microsoft take the decision to expand it out to Playstation and Nintendo, but it could be what they consider their biggest RPG IP and biggest IP in general if you look at Skyrim's sales.

Great post, thanks for sharing and I agree with a lot of it. I love the idea of the juxtaposition of the Persian/African/Japanese elements of Redguard/Yokudan culture with the medieval knightly set up of much of the Breton culture. High Rock and Hammerfell also gives you the option to include Orsinium (in the Dragontail mountains on the Skyrim border at the time of the end of Skyrim) and the most interesting take on Vampires in my opinion in ES lore - more civilised Vampire cults that infiltrate high society in order to manipulate and control, with many different blood lines who have different powers.

I agree they should look to resolve or advance the Empire v Thalmor line, they'll have to have chosen a canonical ending to Skyrim's civil war and also decide what they'll do with the dragons. I'd like to see a 10/20 year gap, it gives the chance for the Dragonborn to disappear and enough to have happened to create the right kind of exposition for the set up of enough tension to cause further outbreak of war. At the end of Skyrim, High Rock I believe is still part of the weakened Empire, fighting the Reach Men on their eastern border and considering whether to pursue Orsinium again and Hammerfell has successfully forced the complete withdrawal of the Aldmeri Dominion and now governs itself as an independent nation. Including both these settings offers the chance to have so many choices and branching paths in quests.

I 100% agree on the element of 'can't do everything in a single playthrough.' As amazing as Skyrim was, I'd like to see a Fallout 4-esque quest structure whereby (or even New Vegas if they can pull it off) whereby choices in factions mean you're not able to join other factions, and certain quests at a certain point in the line preclude you being able to get involved in other quests based on the choices you make. I'd also like to see a return to following one path of abilities (or a couple) rather than being able to be the ultimate Master of all trades God you could be in Skyrim. It's not great for immersion to be the head of every guild and only excluded from one of the Dawnguard or Volkihar. I think the Knights Order structure of Breton society could lend itself nicely to faction rivalries and ideological differences that you have to make a strong choice towards. I'd also like to see this linked to potential Aedra as suggested.

I just hope that they are approaching this with the idea of 'let's produce a masterpiece.' Skyrim is still talked about and played a decade later, I hope that they're not going to continue to simplify the formula, reintroduce some missed elements from Oblivion and Morrowind and look to craft an immersive RPG experience that needs dozens of playthroughs to see and do everything. It's not good for me that in Skyrim, you can probably see every eventuality inside two playthroughs, three at a push. I hope the attitude is 'let's create the finest RPG of the modern era, one that will stand the test of time and be talked about still in decades.' Whether there is the collective will to do that, who knows.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 11:30:08 am »
Are they going to use that tired old engine is my number one question.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 11:33:12 am »
Are they going to use that tired old engine is my number one question.
No, they've got the new Creation Engine 2, which will debut next year when Starfield is released (11 years to the day after Skyrim did).

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 11:12:17 pm »
I don't have any industry knowledge or reason to believe, but given the teasers and how long ago it was announced, surely 2023/24? What would cause it needing another 5 years from now? Starfield's release?

I agree with 2026 at the earliest call. There is probably a small group doing preproduction now, and its unlikely to move into full effort before 2023. I would've put money into 2027, but with Microsoft pumping in resources 2026 seems possible.

Of course, I won't play before 27-28, before bugs are ironed out and good mods are available.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 09:44:16 am »
I agree with 2026 at the earliest call. There is probably a small group doing preproduction now, and its unlikely to move into full effort before 2023. I would've put money into 2027, but with Microsoft pumping in resources 2026 seems possible.

Of course, I won't play before 27-28, before bugs are ironed out and good mods are available.
Fair enough. Doing some reading about Fallout 4's production and support cycle post-release, and the fact they will want to give Starfield a clear run with post-release content, it does look like 2025/26, more likely the latter, will be the release window.

I think I just lived in hope that they had a fairly sizeable team starting elements of production which would then go into overdrive once the Starfield team became freed up. I think this hope spans from desperately wanting them to treat this as an opportunity to deliver an magnum opus, an absolute RPG masterpiece that stands the test of time on those 'greatest of all time' lists. And in my mind, the longer they had to be able to produce, the better. We'll see. Microsoft will clearly throw resource at it and there were elements to Fallout 4 that give me hope they can take Elder Scrolls in a good direction (the settlement building stuff would suit the Elder Scrolls franchise, as long as the shite radiant quests are ditched with it, the verticality of Boston also gives options in TES), they need to learn lessons from the Cyberpunk debacle and understand the well-meaning criticism Skyrim got.