Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 939425 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium
« Reply #15840 on: January 4, 2022, 11:33:50 am »
You can't play without being vaccinated... Unless you're really good at tennis in which case, fuck it.

Money talks.

Pathetic from Tennis Australia.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15841 on: January 4, 2022, 11:43:20 am »
I'd naively assumed that he was vaccinated and just not vocal about it. Seems not.

We are due to a new winner.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15842 on: January 4, 2022, 11:44:09 am »
Waste of time by Australian authorities.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15843 on: January 4, 2022, 11:55:10 am »
I'd naively assumed that he was vaccinated and just not vocal about it. Seems not.

We are due to a new winner.

Is Rafa in it ?

Love him to win it but imagine Novak will unless the crowd turn on him.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15844 on: January 4, 2022, 11:58:03 am »
Is Rafa in it ?

Love him to win it but imagine Novak will unless the crowd turn on him.

I'd prefer a new winner to be honest as I am not Rafa's biggest fan. I'm not sure who though.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #15845 on: January 4, 2022, 12:11:26 pm »
Can’t believe this boring, Lego-headed, personality-less moron is about to beat Federer’s record.

They were always going to bend over for him and he knew it. There was no way they wouldn’t let him play.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #15846 on: January 4, 2022, 12:21:20 pm »
Pathetic decision.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15847 on: January 4, 2022, 12:32:27 pm »
Can’t believe this boring, Lego-headed, personality-less moron is about to beat Federer’s record.

They were always going to bend over for him and he knew it. There was no way they wouldn’t let him play.

Hopefully he doesn't win.

Need the crowd to go after him and ruffle his feathers.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15848 on: January 4, 2022, 01:01:00 pm »
I think I'm finally starting to see why everyone hates Djokovic.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15849 on: January 4, 2022, 01:07:06 pm »
I think I'm finally starting to see why everyone hates Djokovic.

Has he given a reason why he isn't vaccinated?

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #15850 on: January 4, 2022, 01:10:13 pm »

Considering he spends his free time touring Bosnia’s non-existent pyramids and propping up charlatans of the worst kind, I can only imagine what his reasons are.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15851 on: January 4, 2022, 01:27:54 pm »
I detest the c*nt.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15852 on: January 4, 2022, 01:29:31 pm »

Don't think so but it's hard not to be cynical about it.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #15853 on: January 4, 2022, 01:32:41 pm »
Fuck me, Aussie politicians kept thousands of their own citizens out of the country for months because of Covid and they let this twat in. Why, why, why. I hope the Aussies play up about this, I'd be livid.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15854 on: January 4, 2022, 01:34:39 pm »
I'd prefer a new winner to be honest as I am not Rafa's biggest fan. I'm not sure who though.
I can't see anyone jumping out from the men's game that can compete. Medvedev maybe?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15855 on: January 4, 2022, 01:35:27 pm »
Don't think so but it's hard not to be cynical about it.

Would've been easy for him to get a medical certificate.

Things are very easy to get/rules don't really apply to those with money, across Eastern Europe.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15856 on: January 4, 2022, 01:36:55 pm »
Fuck me, Aussie politicians kept thousands of their own citizens out of the country for months because of Covid and they let this twat in. Why, why, why. I hope the Aussies play up about this, I'd be livid.

:

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #15857 on: January 4, 2022, 01:42:11 pm »
Would've been easy for him to get a medical certificate.

Things are very easy to get/rules don't really apply to those with money, across Eastern Europe.

Unlike...every other place on Earth?
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15858 on: January 4, 2022, 01:52:00 pm »
I can't see anyone jumping out from the men's game that can compete. Medvedev maybe?

Nobody is jumping out to me. The problem is, if Djokovic hits fourth gear then there is, at most, only three or four players who have played the game who can live with him on a hard court. If he hits fifth gear, I'm not sure there is even one.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15859 on: January 4, 2022, 01:55:31 pm »
Will be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets from the crowd.

And by interesting, I mean I hope he gets booed massively.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15860 on: January 4, 2022, 02:24:58 pm »

Yes he’s medically exempt.

I think there’s gluten in the vaccine.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15861 on: January 4, 2022, 02:32:01 pm »

there are 5G microchips in the vaccine.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15862 on: January 4, 2022, 04:05:24 pm »
Unlike...every other place on Earth?

I should've added that in brackets before I posted  ;)

It's definitely easier to purchase a legal document, medical records and encourage police to look the other way, in Eastern Europe though.

Perhaps you could say, corruption is for the many, not the few (like it is over here)  ;)
« Last Edit: January 4, 2022, 04:10:30 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15863 on: January 4, 2022, 04:08:15 pm »
Nobody is jumping out to me. The problem is, if Djokovic hits fourth gear then there is, at most, only three or four players who have played the game who can live with him on a hard court. If he hits fifth gear, I'm not sure there is even one.
Hope not. Especially this time.

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15864 on: January 4, 2022, 10:52:25 pm »
Will be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets from the crowd.

And by interesting, I mean I hope he gets booed massively.
I've got a ticket for RLA day one so Im looking forward to doing so. Hopefully he's the day session, but I think Craig Tiley and Tennis Australia will be loving this extra publicity so you can guarantee he'll be given the night slot.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15865 on: January 5, 2022, 05:22:26 am »
From the Australian National Broadcaster (ABC) 18 months ago.

Novak Djokovic's Adria Tour turned into a coronavirus mess, and the tennis world has been scathing

Novak Djokovic's ill-fated charity tennis tournament has led to the world number one and a number of other pros testing positive for coronavirus.

Djokovic said he had "sincere intentions" when launching the Adria Tour tournament, and has acknowledged the event came too soon, but that hasn't stopped the widespread condemnation from his rivals and colleagues.

Here's how it's all gone down.

What was the Adria Tour tournament?

The Adria Tour 2020 was a tournament created by Djokovic, to be held in Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, and Bosnia and Herzegovina between June 12 and July 5.

Announced in May, Djokovic was joined by international stars like Aleksander Zverev, Dominic Thiem, Grigor Dimitrov and Marin Cilic for the event.

Fans attended the events, and tickets sold quickly. The first weekend, in Serbia, was played in full, but the second weekend in Croatia ran into a few hitches.

What went wrong?

A bunch of players got coronavirus.

Dimitrov was the first to test positive, followed by Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki. The final of the event was cancelled after Dimitrov's diagnosis.

Then Djokovic confirmed he had tested positive, as had his wife. Troicki's pregnant wife also contracted the virus.

How did the virus spread?

During the tournament, Djokovic received criticism for the lack of social distancing by players throughout the event. Players were seen hugging and huddling together for photos, and were filmed playing basketball together on off days.

Videos also emerged of parties in which players joined each other on stage, dancing together with their shirts off in front of crowds of people.

Players and staff did not wear masks throughout the event.

What has the response been?

Tennis players and officials from around the world have been nearly universal in their criticism of Djokovic and the event.

"Obviously it's not surprising how many players have tested positive when you see the scenes and the images and the videos from the tournament and the players party with no social distancing in place." — Andy Murray

"Prayers up to all the players that have contracted COVID-19. Don't @ me for anything I've done that has been 'irresponsible' or classified as 'stupidity' — this takes the cake." — Nick Kyrgios

"Yikes this is not good and it's a pattern. Hope Novak will be ok of course! What now, US Open? Roland Garros? We have a lot of work to do." — Martina Navratilova

"I don't think he should be having a players' party and dancing all over each other. Players have tested positive. He should feel some responsibility in his event and how it's transpired, really." - British number one Dan Evans

But some ATP and Croatian officials offered Djokovic some support.

"I know there has been a lot of criticism, but on the other hand … we have to be careful because we also have to be conscious that even with extreme measures, you could actually end up having some players testing positive. You don't need players and people hugging each other for someone to test positive." — ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi

"Some minor mistakes may have been made, but the idea [for the tournament] was a good one." — Croatian Tennis president Nikolina Babic

What has Djokovic said?

Djokovic released a statement on the Adria Tour website in which he confirmed his positive test and apologised to those who also contracted the virus, before releasing a further statement on Twitter admitting his wrongdoing.

"We believed the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good conditions to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons," he said.

"We were wrong and it was too soon. I can't express enough how sorry I am for this and every case of infection."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-24/novak-djokovic-charity-tennis-tournament-became-coronavirus-mess/12387086
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #15866 on: January 5, 2022, 08:42:28 am »
Novax Djokovic is not going to be a popular man in Australia, that's for certain. Hope they put a 5G tower outside his hotel room just to mess with him.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #15867 on: January 5, 2022, 08:43:46 am »

;D
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15868 on: January 5, 2022, 09:00:06 am »
I love the fact that Djokovic’s name will adorn Tennis and its record books as its greatest ever player. Its just what the sport deserves, having a shit bag like that dominate it.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15869 on: January 5, 2022, 09:04:58 am »
Zero chance this is granted if Federer or Nadal or even a 10 years ago Murray are playing in this. Fact is mens tennis is on its arse with a whole bunch of people nobodies heard of.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15870 on: January 5, 2022, 09:16:31 am »
Much that I dislike Nick Kyrgios, I'd love him to destroy Jokeavik in 3 sets in one of the early rounds with the crowd booing him at every opportunity.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15871 on: January 5, 2022, 02:50:47 pm »
Much that I dislike Nick Kyrgios, I'd love him to destroy Jokeavik in 3 sets in one of the early rounds with the crowd booing him at every opportunity.
Would be dead funny or if the PM carries out his "threat" of sending him back if not providing enough medical evidence.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15872 on: January 5, 2022, 02:56:40 pm »
Would be dead funny or if the PM carries out his "threat" of sending him back if not providing enough medical evidence.

Novak Djokovic denied entry to Australia after visa mix-up - The Times

The decision to grant the tennis player a medical exemption from Covid-19 vaccination has been met with fury

Novak Djokovic has been denied entry to Australia after an extraordinary mix-up with his visa application.

The 20-times grand-slam champion landed in Melbourne this afternoon amid a furious backlash at the decision to grant him a medical exemption from a Covid-19 vaccine, allowing him to compete in the Australian Open later this month.

But Djokovic is presently unable to proceed through passport control after a member of his support team made a critical mistake in requesting a sub-class of visa that does not apply to those who have received medical exemptions from a Covid-19 vaccine. The error had been discovered by the Australian border force while Djokovic was already travelling on a 14-hour commercial flight from Dubai to Melbourne.

(rest is paywalled)

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15873 on: January 5, 2022, 02:59:11 pm »
Novak Djokovic denied entry to Australia after visa mix-up - The Times

The decision to grant the tennis player a medical exemption from Covid-19 vaccination has been met with fury

Novak Djokovic has been denied entry to Australia after an extraordinary mix-up with his visa application.

The 20-times grand-slam champion landed in Melbourne this afternoon amid a furious backlash at the decision to grant him a medical exemption from a Covid-19 vaccine, allowing him to compete in the Australian Open later this month.

But Djokovic is presently unable to proceed through passport control after a member of his support team made a critical mistake in requesting a sub-class of visa that does not apply to those who have received medical exemptions from a Covid-19 vaccine. The error had been discovered by the Australian border force while Djokovic was already travelling on a 14-hour commercial flight from Dubai to Melbourne.

(rest is paywalled)

Fucking great.

Send him home.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2022, 03:11:05 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15874 on: January 5, 2022, 03:11:05 pm »
Fucking great.

Send him hone.
There's a TV docu-series called something like Border Force Australia that was / is on one of the ITV channels. I just hope it's being filmed as part of this.

Voiceover: 'This man has tried to enter Australia using an invalid visa. He now faces an interview with immigration officials and possible deportation'
Djokovic with face pixillated: 'I've been travelling for 14 hours. What do you mean, my visa is invalid?'

*Chinese guy in the background saunters through with 14 turtles stuffed down his pants and falling on the ground behind him*
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15875 on: January 5, 2022, 03:13:21 pm »
There's a TV docu-series called something like Border Force Australia that was / is on one of the ITV channels. I just hope it's being filmed as part of this.

Voiceover: 'This man has tried to enter Australia using an invalid visa. He now faces an interview with immigration officials and possible deportation'
Djokovic with face pixillated: 'I've been travelling for 14 hours. What do you mean, my visa is invalid?'

*Chinese guy in the background saunters through with 14 turtles stuffed down his pants and falling on the ground behind him*

Those turtles would have probably been snacks to gorge on. The Chinese food and snacks that appear on that show look fucking gross.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15876 on: January 5, 2022, 03:18:38 pm »
Make him travel all that way and send him back. Even better than banning him in the first place.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15877 on: January 5, 2022, 03:23:54 pm »
Bwahahaha

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15878 on: January 5, 2022, 03:29:46 pm »
Might want to confiscate his racket and balls too. He has a habit of getting angry and smashing one out on an authoritative figure.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15879 on: January 5, 2022, 03:46:19 pm »
This has cheered me up i have to say. Delighted for the c*nt!