Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1047297 times)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition
« Reply #8880 on: December 3, 2021, 09:49:29 pm »
never heard McCoist do a game (shame by the sounds of it).

most of the time I have no clue who's doing it, but I like Jim Beglin.  at least he tries to point out things that aren't completely obvious.

the ones I fukking hate is anyone who says "he'll be disappointed" as if that wasn't brain-meltingly fukking obvious.

"that was an open goal, 3 yards out, on his stronger foot.  he'll be disappointed in hitting the corner flag."

(don't get me started on Lee Dixon)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8881 on: December 3, 2021, 10:36:38 pm »
never heard McCoist do a game (shame by the sounds of it).

most of the time I have no clue who's doing it, but I like Jim Beglin.  at least he tries to point out things that aren't completely obvious.

the ones I fukking hate is anyone who says "he'll be disappointed" as if that wasn't brain-meltingly fukking obvious.

"that was an open goal, 3 yards out, on his stronger foot.  he'll be disappointed in hitting the corner flag."

(don't get me started on Lee Dixon)

He's brilliant. No agendas, just loves the game, you can tell he just wants to be there and enjoy it. Not afraid to admit when he's wrong either, with the dives on Wednesday he started with one thought, then admitted after seeing all the angles he had no clue.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8882 on: December 4, 2021, 07:33:11 am »
Just watching MoTD and Murphy has analysed Henderson's performance vs Everton and Mount's performance vs Watford. Impressive he's managed to watch both games given they were on around the same time and the programme started less than half an hour after ours finished.

They watch all the games at the same time. It's a ridiculous way to bring any insight to the MOTD viewer

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8883 on: December 4, 2021, 09:08:03 am »
They watch all the games at the same time. It's a ridiculous way to bring any insight to the MOTD viewer

The show started about 20 minutes after our game finished. There’s not much they could have done about it to be fair. If he’d said he hadn’t watched it we’d have had a go at him for that too!

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8884 on: December 4, 2021, 09:49:11 am »

The show started about 20 minutes after our game finished. There’s not much they could have done about it to be fair. If he’d said he hadn’t watched it we’d have had a go at him for that too!

I'd prefer that. More honest.

Agree with red Mark though, it's a bit silly when you think about. The alternative is that Murphy is a genius who we should definitely appoint once Klopp leaves.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #8885 on: December 4, 2021, 08:41:10 pm »
Don’t know where to put this but Jonathon Wilson trying to equate our performance with massive spending clubs when we’re one of the lowest net spenders can fuck the fuck off

There is a joy and a privilege in watching sides as gifted as City, Chelsea and Liverpool, even when there is unease at the financial structures or entities that have contributed to their dominance. For the rest, it’s good to have giants because there is a frisson in playing them; the question is how giant they should be.   
Believer

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8886 on: December 4, 2021, 10:40:15 pm »
So we will be without Salah and Mane in Jan.  Mastermind Gaby Agbonglahor has the solution though never worry. To make up for the goals we will miss we should go an sign..................Adama Traore. Obviously.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8887 on: December 4, 2021, 10:41:19 pm »
So we will be without Salah and Mane in Jan.  Mastermind Gaby Agbonglahor has the solution though never worry. To make up for the goals we will miss we should go an sign..................Adama Traore. Obviously.

All he needs to add to his game is to score  goals and make assists.

Baller...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8888 on: December 5, 2021, 06:40:47 pm »
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8890 on: December 7, 2021, 10:20:11 pm »
You gotta love the RTE coverage of games. No agenda. no company line to push they just say what they want.  "Do you think AC Milan can win this Liam"  "I hope they do, because I don't like Atletico Madrid and I really don't like Diego Simeone" 
Then on Radio you have Sam Materface, I turned it on for a minute and I didn't hear a thing about football, just some rubbish about the referee's hair.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #8891 on: December 7, 2021, 10:21:54 pm »
Jake Humphreys “going to Australia” was top level Partridge.

Appalling presenter.
AHA!

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8892 on: December 11, 2021, 06:18:40 pm »
I can say who aren't the best pundits, Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage

Chris Sutton, the absolute fucking no mark, saying Salah went down easy for the pen today, wasn't a pen. Him and Savage also saying Chelsea have a better defence, and a better attack with Lukaku.

Sutton is also well up the manc clubs arse - when we battered United 5-0 he was still banging the drum for Ole and Maguire, and never misses a beat to suck up to Guardiola and City for "revolutionizing the game"

Dickheads

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8893 on: December 11, 2021, 06:22:31 pm »

Chris Sutton, the absolute fucking no mark, saying Salah went down easy for the pen today, wasn't a pen. Him and Savage also saying Chelsea have a better defence, and a better attack with Lukaku.

He wrongly accused him of diving in the intro rather than simply going down easy, utterly ridiculous shite and zero mention of the other shouts we had denied earlier in the game too.

My mistake, he's just mentioned the Mane one and thinks he should have been booked for a dive for that one.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 06:25:07 pm by Skeeve »

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8894 on: December 11, 2021, 06:48:25 pm »
Today I entirely legally watched the match on an Irish channel for the first time and the co-commentator was Gary Breen. Nothing groundbreaking and a touch of the "Selfish Salah" narrative, but he was not too bad I thought. Certainly miles ahead of anyone Sky and BT have to offer.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8895 on: December 11, 2021, 11:31:46 pm »
No bother Jack Grealish. Seems an over inflated transfer fee not only brings pressure but also gives you the gift of a left foot which should be deadly in free kicks. At least according to that fuckpot Trevor Sinclair when Manchester City got a free kick in a dangerous area today. Great position here for Grealish to have an effort on goal wish his left foot.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8896 on: December 11, 2021, 11:36:24 pm »

Sutton is also well up the manc clubs arse - when we battered United 5-0 he was still banging the drum for Ole and Maguire, and never misses a beat to suck up to Guardiola and City for "revolutionizing the game"

Dickheads

That narrative they have on Salah is really really irritating. I was talking to a manc the other day who reckons Salah is a "good" player but he cant watch him because he throws himself down all over the place in games. Yet when you challenge that and say that I've seen almost every game this season and I haven't seen it once (just to keep it simple, if I started talking anything in double digits I'd of lost him) Apparently he hears it all the time from people in the media, so it must be true.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #8897 on: December 12, 2021, 07:01:48 am »
He's brilliant. No agendas, just loves the game, you can tell he just wants to be there and enjoy it. Not afraid to admit when he's wrong either, with the dives on Wednesday he started with one thought, then admitted after seeing all the angles he had no clue.

Yep thats what i love about McCoist, and fucking HATE about Steve McManaman. Macca is completely fucking useless. States the bloody obvious, and when he calls something wrong, stands by his original 'analysis', even when the replay shows that he has completely fucked it.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8898 on: December 13, 2021, 01:45:08 am »
The weirdo Crooks is at it again. Not sure what the bit in bold is about, but it explains a lot about his odd commentary. The bit in italics is pure lunacy.

The Crooks of the Matter

Liverpool sailed into the last 16 of the Champions League last week in record style having won all their games - but it was not without controversy.

Jurgen Klopp unintentionally stepped on a football landmine when he suggested the Africa Cup of Nations was a "little tournament".

The comment came when the Liverpool manager was asked about the disruption the tournament might cause. The words got back to Senegal manager Aliou Cisse, who was furious with Klopp.

The former international captain raged: "I manage Senegal and my players play for Klopp at Liverpool. I respect Liverpool but not Klopp who undermines African football events.

"He is where he is today because of African footballers. Klopp owes his success to African players, having lost 'every final' until Salah, Sadio Mane and defender Joel Matip came along."

Cisse does have a point. Klopp was struggling until Salah and Mane showed up at Anfield.

However, it wasn't until I heard Klopp's explanation in his pre-match interview prior to the AC Milan fixture, when challenged by a journalist, that I understood the comments were shrouded in irony.

Klopp was being sarcastic and suggesting the tournament was quite the opposite. Far from being a little tournament, the Liverpool manager was insisting the tournament was far more demanding than people realise.

The problem with sarcasm is that it doesn't always travel well and what might appear funny in a dressing room doesn't always translate well or is very clear in other parts of the world.

It will also teach Klopp not to be reckless in future with language from the dressing room. I might not be his biggest fan, but I've seen enough of his teams to know that he not only respects African football but also their footballers. Otherwise why would he buy them?

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8899 on: December 13, 2021, 07:24:30 am »
Yeah lost every final until our African players came along.

I take it they are not awarding him the German cup with Dortmund !

The question id be asking is why are they allowed to host it every two years ? Copa America done 3 in 5 years too.

Yet Euros is every 4 years as it should be.

Id argue Salah/Mane/Matip were promising players before Klopp turned them world class.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8900 on: December 13, 2021, 09:34:26 am »
The weirdo Crooks is at it again. Not sure what the bit in bold is about, but it explains a lot about his odd commentary. The bit in italics is pure lunacy.
The man is stealing a living.

Came on to post the same thing. He's a knob.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #8901 on: December 13, 2021, 08:39:50 pm »
Was able to listen to 5 Live's Monday Night Club tonight because the guffawing ringpiece Micah Richards wasn't on it.....his replacement - Nedum Onuoha - shows that you can be an ex City player but still be insightful, articulate and quick-witted...great stand-in...would love to see him take the spot permanently and leave Richards to his TV nonsense where I can more easily avoid him...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #8902 on: December 13, 2021, 10:16:30 pm »
Came on to post the same about Garth Crooks. Absolutely steals a living at the Beeb -- as do most of their football contributors and pundits.

What an absolute fucking weapon he is.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #8903 on: December 13, 2021, 10:17:16 pm »
Was able to listen to 5 Live's Monday Night Club tonight because the guffawing ringpiece Micah Richards wasn't on it.....his replacement - Nedum Onuoha - shows that you can be an ex City player but still be insightful, articulate and quick-witted...great stand-in...would love to see him take the spot permanently and leave Richards to his TV nonsense where I can more easily avoid him...
Thought I was the only person who thought that about Micah Richards. Glad someone else out there has some sense!
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8904 on: December 13, 2021, 10:24:50 pm »
I assumed most people thought Micah Richards was an absolute weapon to be honest, maybe I just hang around the right people!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8905 on: December 16, 2021, 10:57:19 pm »
Surprised this hasn't been bumped given what I've been reading in the Newcastle post-match thread  ;)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8906 on: December 17, 2021, 10:14:26 am »
Surprised this hasn't been bumped given what I've been reading in the Newcastle post-match thread  ;)

I'm guessing it's a lot of people having a go at McManaman for sounding like he hates the game of football and interrupting everything his mate says with a "yep" or a "nope"

Online SK8 Red

• A spanking! A spanking!
  • Main Stander
  • Supporting since 1983 at a guess
« Reply #8907 on: December 17, 2021, 10:43:53 am »
Flicking through the radio earlier and heard Trevor Sinclair talking about decisions and head injuries. I had to instantly turn him off as I know what he'll be on about. He really is bitter despite being a nobody (like Danny Mills)

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8908 on: December 17, 2021, 12:46:49 pm »
Recap of the BBC pundits predictions for this season in the PL

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58141017

13 went for City as Champions.
7 went for Chelsea.

None thought Liverpool would win the title.
3 thought we'd finished second.
7 went for third.
9 had us fourth.
One predicted we'd finish outside the top four.

Half thought United would finish above us
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8909 on: December 19, 2021, 07:06:07 pm »
Do you reckon former Spurs player Jermaine Jenas will claim that it’s good that penalties aren’t being given for those bumps and barges as they’re a bit soft, and you really need to be wiping players out to get a penalty?

He could have a discussion with former Newcastle player Jermaine Jeans who reckons that non penalties should be given because some of the penalties given recently have been a bit soft.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8910 on: December 30, 2021, 10:23:01 am »
Robbie Savage was absolutely dreadful (nothing new there) on 5 live the other night. First of all, as a father he is rightly extremely proud of his son making his debut for Utd, fair play to him and that he should be proud of that. But it stops him from being able to perform his role of hosting an impartial talk show and it's a hard listen. He so clearly doesn't want to criticise Utd and that's ok, but let someone else do the the phone in's at least or be honest. They were on about Utd against Newcastle. How poor they were are particularly Ronaldo and Fernandes moaning. He just refused to say a single negative thing.

Sutton, who's another tube, asked him about Ronaldo storming off down the tunnel. We've all done that, you can understand it
About his in game moaning. He's just frustrated.
He's not a team player. He has it on good authority that he's first at training and last out so how is he not a team player (weird reasoning)
He doesn't work hard off the ball. He's not going to criticise Ronaldo for what he's done in the game
About how Utd finished second last season then signed big players and should be better. Yeah but 2nd was a bit of a false position last season. When last season he argued many times the table doesn't lie.

Oh and for good measure, Maguire needs someone to compliment him which is why he's struggling, and the loss of Varane was a huge blow and any team would miss that and its a valid excuse. He had a lot to say about us "missing one player in Van Dijk" last season too

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8911 on: December 30, 2021, 11:27:33 am »
I really enjoy Ally Mccoist too, because he has great energy, I always feel chill when watching games he commentates on, and doesn’t feel the need to give droning “analysis” for the sake of it.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #8912 on: December 30, 2021, 11:37:33 am »
I really enjoy Ally Mccoist too, because he has great energy, I always feel chill when watching games he commentates on, and doesn’t feel the need to give droning “analysis” for the sake of it.

Dunno if it was borne out of my frustration with the Leicester game but fuck me, Ally and that fucking quilt Jon Champion droning on about marks out of 10 for Hendo's shots at goal were particularly irksome. Champion is a grade A c*nt but Ally, come 'ead, mate bin the 'banter' with that tube cos it just ain't funny
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #8913 on: December 30, 2021, 12:05:43 pm »
Dunno if it was borne out of my frustration with the Leicester game but fuck me, Ally and that fucking quilt Jon Champion droning on about marks out of 10 for Hendo's shots at goal were particularly irksome. Champion is a grade A c*nt but Ally, come 'ead, mate bin the 'banter' with that tube cos it just ain't funny

Agreed...again, the pain in the ringpiece that was the match itself might've soured my view but I think that was the first time Ally has got on my tits while covering a game....what's happened to Tyldesley btw?...Champion is a fuckin awful lead commentator...dragged McCoist down with his stat-based shite and tryhard non-sequiturs........and the least said about the poxy camera angle for the penalty the better.....sort it out Bezos
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8914 on: December 30, 2021, 12:17:38 pm »
......and the least said about the poxy camera angle for the penalty the better.....sort it out Bezos

The odd thing about that is the perception that the keeper looks massive in comparison to the goal.  It almost feels like the pen taker has little chance of scoring.  Unfortunately that was true in this case.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8915 on: December 30, 2021, 12:26:40 pm »
Robbie Savage was absolutely dreadful (nothing new there) on 5 live the other night. First of all, as a father he is rightly extremely proud of his son making his debut for Utd, fair play to him and that he should be proud of that. But it stops him from being able to perform his role of hosting an impartial talk show and it's a hard listen. He so clearly doesn't want to criticise Utd and that's ok, but let someone else do the the phone in's at least or be honest. They were on about Utd against Newcastle. How poor they were are particularly Ronaldo and Fernandes moaning. He just refused to say a single negative thing.

Sutton, who's another tube, asked him about Ronaldo storming off down the tunnel. We've all done that, you can understand it
About his in game moaning. He's just frustrated.
He's not a team player. He has it on good authority that he's first at training and last out so how is he not a team player (weird reasoning)
He doesn't work hard off the ball. He's not going to criticise Ronaldo for what he's done in the game
About how Utd finished second last season then signed big players and should be better. Yeah but 2nd was a bit of a false position last season. When last season he argued many times the table doesn't lie.

Oh and for good measure, Maguire needs someone to compliment him which is why he's struggling, and the loss of Varane was a huge blow and any team would miss that and its a valid excuse. He had a lot to say about us "missing one player in Van Dijk" last season too

606 has been shite since Alan Green stopped doing it. Like all media these days, it's now more about the presenters and their controversial opinions to generate headlines and clicks, than it is the actual callers.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8916 on: December 30, 2021, 12:29:24 pm »
Agreed...again, the pain in the ringpiece that was the match itself might've soured my view but I think that was the first time Ally has got on my tits while covering a game....what's happened to Tyldesley btw?...Champion is a fuckin awful lead commentator...dragged McCoist down with his stat-based shite and tryhard non-sequiturs........and the least said about the poxy camera angle for the penalty the better.....sort it out Bezos

Champion is a twat. Always remember him calling Suarez "a cheat" when he accidentally scored with his hand against Mansfield, like it wasn't the officials' job to spot it.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8917 on: December 30, 2021, 12:31:59 pm »

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8918 on: December 30, 2021, 08:18:30 pm »

As long as I’m able to tune out the commentator if need be, all good.

It’s the fuckers you can’t even tune out … utter trash like Robbie Savage for example. I simply don’t know how he ever got a gig on tv. He’s thick and has a voice that makes me want to puke.

Edit: forget to mention that daft twat Garth Crooks too. Bitter little bozo
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:55:42 pm by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #8919 on: December 30, 2021, 11:25:19 pm »
Garth Crooks team of the year is genuinely something to behold, criminal that he picks up a wage for the shit he comes out with