Author Topic: Brighton and Hove Albion vs Liverpool, 28 November 2020, 12.30pm  (Read 18858 times)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Brighton and Hove Albion vs Liverpool, 28 November 2020, 12.30pm
« on: November 26, 2020, 09:30:13 am »

The Amex Stadium, as it will look at 12.20pm on Saturday.

Two and a half days – it isn’t much time between fixtures, is it? Not much time for a pre-game write up either. With the hit-and-miss form, our ever growing injury list and Brighton’s extra recovery time, I wondered if their fans would be optimistic about a result. And having checked the score predictor at the main Brighton forum, it looks like more than 40% expect them to get a result and over a quarter expect a win – even before the Klopp comments in the presser! It didn’t used to be like this, Smithers. Oh no, it didn’t used to be like this at all.

The Seagulls were formed in 1901 and were part of the Southern League for nearly 20 years before being elected to the Third Division South, where they would languish for nearly four decades. They spent a few years in the Second Division at the same time as us in the early 60’s, and managed to record a win over a Shankly-managed team including Roger Hunt, but the clubs were going in different directions. They were relegated twice in successive seasons in 1962 and ’63, and had a wilderness period during which Brian Clough had a short stint in charge. But in the late 70’s they came right back, going up to the Second Division and then, for the first time in their history, the top flight.

This would be the first Brighton team many people on here remember, one that included short-lived England internationals Peter Ward, Steve Foster and (not that) Gary Stevens, as well as FA Cup legend Mickey Thomas, future Oldham star Andy Ritchie, future QPR manager Chris Ramsey and future European Cup winner Mark Lawrenson, before he came over here in 1981 with Jimmy Case going the other way. Michael Robinson would follow Lawro two years later, after Brighton came a whisker from beating the Mancs in the FA Cup final. They were managed by Jimmy Melia, who’d played against them for Liverpool in the 60’s, but went down the same season.

The next couple of decades saw Brighton yo-yo between lower divisions, but by 1996-97 they were rock bottom of the fourth tier and slumping toward non-league status. Amazingly, they managed to pull back a 13-point deficit to scrape survival on the last day of the season on goal difference goals scored. Just as ominously, the Goldstone Ground was sold and they were forced to play their home games at Gillingham, in Kent. They slowly worked their way back up but the real revival began when poker star (and gambling website owner) Tony Bloom took over, steering them to a new stadium, a steady birth in the Championship and, eventually, to the Premier League. If they stay up this season – and looking at the dross below them, they’re almost certain to – they’ll surpass their last stay in the top tier.

All in all, I’d say we quite like Brighton. Their fans aren’t too bad, the chairman isn’t a despot or a fossil fuel magnate, they have a progressive manager who's trying to emulate our pressing style and roaming full backs, and of course, Liverpool favourite Adam Lallana in the squad.

So what will the teams look like for Saturday? Right now we seem to be in a position where we’re putting out whoever’s fit. I do think there's a chance we'll start with Milner and Gini again considering we have some players that could be fit again by Tuesday, but having given it some thought, the kids seem the likelier, and less risky option. Either way, I predict we’ll play four up top – partially because our midfielders need a rest, but also to counteract Brighton’s 3/5-man defence. Hendo, Naby and Shaq could all potentially play a part depending on their injury status between now and then, but frankly who knows? The key may well be to put this to bed early, send on a couple of subs and then just play keep ball. At a guess:

As for Brighton, they’ve recently been playing with a lopsided 3-5-2, winger Solly March on the opposite end to Tariq Lamptey. Lamptey’s suspension means Dutch international Joel Veltman will likely come in on the right, and March may well keep his place ahead of man-giant Dan Burn to run at what I expect will be a tired right back, whoever starts. Danny Welbeck has been playing alongside Neal Maupay as a front two, and the three midfield spots will probably be retained by Lallana, Yves Bissouma and Pascal Groß after their win against Villa last weekend. So:

Referee: Stuart Attwell. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: Simon Hooper. VAR: Kevin Friend. Assistant VAR: Simon Beck.

It feels like ages since we’ve gone to the Amex Stadium in a good place. Two years ago Man City had inflicted our first defeat of the season and we’d tumbled out of the cup at Wolves four days later. Four months back, we’d wrapped up the title but were still adjusting to the ‘new normal’ of no crowds, and it felt very flat. And this time, it’s in the midst of one of the worst injury crises the club’s ever seen, the middle of three games in six days. We should win, but in this case I’d almost prefer everyone getting through in one piece.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brighton and Hove Albion vs Liverpool, 28 November 2020, 12.30pm
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 09:35:56 am »
Nice write up!

Good point about the timing of our trips there. Was it three ago that we were required to play Gini in a back three? (along with Can, although he has some experience there at least)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 09:57:56 am »
Whereas Leicester was all about who should play at the back, and go from there, I think our biggest challenge here is putting out a midfield that is full of running.

I definitely don’t think both Gini and Jones should start for the third time in 6 days. Putting Fab in there and gambling Phillips will be ok is an option. Brighton’s forwards are tricky rather than physical though so would he struggle slightly? Hopefully Hendo might be back as we desperately need some fresh(er) legs from somewhere.

We are spoilt for choice up top compared to midfield and defence so maybe we will go for something like your line up. Yet another interesting/tricky selection dilemma for Juergen.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 09:58:38 am »
This will be a tough match. Albion are a good footballing side and arguably should have more points than they do.

Right now, the four up top option seems sensible as we are light in midfield.

However, there’s a risk of overplaying Gini, Milner, Matip and Mane.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 09:59:04 am »
And thanks for the write up!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 09:59:42 am »
Going for a 2-1 win in this one
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 10:11:32 am »
They'll probably play alright then gift us 2 or 3 goals from nothing, seems to be a theme in their games. Expecting us to win but it'll be Sheff Utd, West Ham etc rather than Leicester, Chelsea etc. Got to pick and choose when to go for it this season.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 10:36:26 am »
Lovely write- up sheer.

Tariq Lamptey missing is massive really. For me, the best attacking full back in the league after Trent. Forget Reece James.

Some tactical notes of my own -

Brighton are difficult to analyse, tactically speaking. And this is a testament to what Graham Potter is doing there. He's one of the most interesting managers in the league, no doubt. Whereas on paper you could say Brighton go with a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3, this does morph into a 3-4-1-2 and a weird, lopsided 3-5-1-1 where they want to pack the middle and sit Maupay on the shoulder of the last defender.

And I think the latter is what we might see. They'll compress the middle with a double pivot that protects the back three, who will probably sit 5 yards deeper than typical because they don't have Lamptey's recovery pace to save them should it come down to a ball in behind and a foot race. We will likely have identified how good Ben White is on the ball and will have Bobby or Sadio sitting on him more than we might typically look to isolate a specific centre half. Veltman is good on the ball too but doesn't have the same incisive progressions as Ben White.

By playing essentially 5 players centrally with the 3 CBs and two deeper mids, it'll allow Solly March to have zero defensive responsibility and act akin to Robbo on their left hand side - receiving the ball on the edge of the middle third and looking for Lallana to attack the space in front of the centre. Maupay is the closest Bobby analogue the league has to offer, and will drop deep to double up with Lallana in that space, in an attempt to make space for Welbeck in behind. Maupay is underrated - a disruptive, combative little shit of a player who scores and has good technique also. 

Gini, if he plays the six will need to be very, very disciplined and rotate the ball in an unambitious way, to allow time for our full backs to get further up after they've fallen back into defensive position following turnovers. You know, the typical back to centre half, wide to Robbo, back inside to Gini, further forward to Robbo movement that is so ingrained into us going forward.

How Brighton do will depend on whether Potter holds his nerve. Typically I wouldn't recommend teams trying to go toe-to-toe with us, but I think if Brighton do sit on us in their usual shape, they will cause us issues with their disruptive way of defending - favouring interceptions and high-up turnovers than if they concede space. However, the aforementioned Lamptey is just so important to them being able to play their high line that I don't think they take that risk without him. He is used as a Walker-esque chaser to make up for the lack of athleticism in the rest of the back line but also is their chief out ball for progressions. It didn't surprise me to hear Bayern Munich were keeping an eye on him.

We will need to be disciplined and Mo will need to be perched on the edge of the space left behind March when he bombs forward. If we get it right, we will get a lot of chances on the counter attack. We typically get a good result against Brighton but with our injuries and fixture pile up, nothing is given.

“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 10:42:31 am »
I still remember the TV highlights from (I think) early in the 81/82 season when we drew 3-3 away at these lot. You could hear Terry McDermott yell his head off when he scored.
That is, if my memory isn't playing tricks.

Anyway, decent write-up, cheers.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 10:45:15 am »
Lovely write- up sheer.

Tariq Lamptey missing is massive really. For me, the best attacking full back in the league after Trent. Forget Reece James.

Some tactical notes of my own -

Brighton are difficult to analyse, tactically speaking. And this is a testament to what Graham Potter is doing there. He's one of the most interesting managers in the league, no doubt. Whereas on paper you could say Brighton go with a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3, this does morph into a 3-4-1-2 and a weird, lopsided 3-5-1-1 where they want to pack the middle and sit Maupay on the shoulder of the last defender.

And I think the latter is what we might see. They'll compress the middle with a double pivot that protects the back three, who will probably sit 5 yards deeper than typical because they don't have Lamptey's recovery pace to save them should it come down to a ball in behind and a foot race. We will likely have identified how good Ben White is on the ball and will have Bobby or Sadio sitting on him more than we might typically look to isolate a specific centre half. Veltman is good on the ball too but doesn't have the same incisive progressions as Ben White.

By playing essentially 5 players centrally with the 3 CBs and two deeper mids, it'll allow Solly March to have zero defensive responsibility and act akin to Robbo on their left hand side - receiving the ball on the edge of the middle third and looking for Lallana to attack the space in front of the centre. Maupay is the closest Bobby analogue the league has to offer, and will drop deep to double up with Lallana in that space, in an attempt to make space for Welbeck in behind. Maupay is underrated - a disruptive, combative little shit of a player who scores and has good technique also. 

Gini, if he plays the six will need to be very, very disciplined and rotate the ball in an unambitious way, to allow time for our full backs to get further up after they've fallen back into defensive position following turnovers. You know, the typical back to centre half, wide to Robbo, back inside to Gini, further forward to Robbo movement that is so ingrained into us going forward.

How Brighton do will depend on whether Potter holds his nerve. Typically I wouldn't recommend teams trying to go toe-to-toe with us, but I think if Brighton do sit on us in their usual shape, they will cause us issues with their disruptive way of defending - favouring interceptions and high-up turnovers than if they concede space. However, the aforementioned Lamptey is just so important to them being able to play their high line that I don't think they take that risk without him. He is used as a Walker-esque chaser to make up for the lack of athleticism in the rest of the back line but also is their chief out ball for progressions. It didn't surprise me to hear Bayern Munich were keeping an eye on him.

We will need to be disciplined and Mo will need to be perched on the edge of the space left behind March when he bombs forward. If we get it right, we will get a lot of chances on the counter attack. We typically get a good result against Brighton but with our injuries and fixture pile up, nothing is given.

Cheers, but it sounds like maybe you should have done the write up for this one!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 10:49:11 am »
Cheers, but it sounds like maybe you should have done the write up for this one!
Cheers, probably the only team I could do it for - good mate of mine from uni was a Brighton fan so I've long had a soft spot for them and they're probably the Premier League team I watch the most after Liverpool. They've some handy players and it'll be a good game, could've done with it being the evening kick off though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Oldskoolcool

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 10:50:31 am »
Is there any chance Thiago will be ready for this? If he is this line up would be great:

Allison, Milner, Fabinho, Matip, Robbo, Thiago, Wijnaldum, Jones, Mane, Firmino, Salah

Though I wonder if Jota may come in for Mane or Salah given current form.

Edit. I wonder if Milner and Matip in particular will be able to play 3 times in such close succession

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 10:52:17 am »
Cheers, probably the only team I could do it for - good mate of mine from uni was a Brighton fan so I've long had a soft spot for them and they're probably the Premier League team I watch the most after Liverpool. They've some handy players and it'll be a good game, could've done with it being the evening kick off though.

It should have been at 3pm really and the Leicester match on Saturday still.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 10:54:34 am »
They aren't a bad team by any stretch but they normally shouldn't pose us any difficulties. Lallana might be out for them with a groin issue. They will also miss Lamptey who is a very good player.

We will have to cobble a team together as most of our first choice players are having injury issues. Hopefully we can get some good news around Trent, Thiago, Hendo, Naby and Shaq

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 11:11:29 am »
A shot would be nice after last night! Seriously though, not ideal to be playing the early kick off after a late game on Wednesday. As for the defence, I see Phillips getting a game here, perhaps with Matip so he can move Fabinho to the middle. Or perhaps he'll drop Matip for this one and keep Fab there. Milner likely back at right back, meaning Gini and Jones will probably start again. Mane looked well off it last night and could have done with a rest, wouldn't surprise me if he didn't start this one, Jota in for him perhaps. Salah didn't get much of a say on proceedings last night so he should be relatively fresh for this.

Brighton are a good side under Graham Potter, they do lose a lot of games though, which probably says something about the way they play. I expect a much more energetic performance here, and think we can capitalise on the type of mistakes they made when we beat them 3-1 a few months ago.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 11:12:18 am »
Lamptey being out is a nice bit of luck for us for a change.

I'd use the front four here with Keita being out. Let Jones and Gini dictate from deep with Bobby linking up ahead of them. I wouldn't be playing either Williams or Phillips. The league is serious business.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 11:19:50 am »
I’m sure we’ll see a completely different mindset in this game. We played yesterdays game as a team that knew they could afford a loss. Will be interesting to see how we line up. Can Milner, GiGi, and Matip play again after a heavy workload? Think we’ll see either Hendo or Thiago back for this, would be amazing to have both back.

Alisson
Milner
Matip
Fab
Robbo
Thiago
Hendo
Gini
Mo
Bob
Sadio

Would be ideal to get that team out but again depends on who is fit enough to play, may see the tea lady at RB given the injury crisis. Also, a heads up, expect Macca to be calling Gini GiGi the whole game, have your TV remotes close by to hit mute, folks.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 11:21:55 am »
I’m sure we’ll see a completely different mindset in this game. We played yesterdays game as a team that knew they could afford a loss. Will be interesting to see how we line up. Can Milner, GiGi, and Matip play again after a heavy workload? Think we’ll see either Hendo or Thiago back for this, would be amazing to have both back.

Alisson
Milner
Matip
Fab
Robbo
Thiago
Hendo
Gini
Mo
Bob
Sadio

Would be ideal to get that team out but again depends on who is fit enough to play, may see the tea lady at RB given the injury crisis. Also, a heads up, expect Macca to be calling Gini GiGi the whole game, have your TV remotes close by to hit mute, folks.

If Thiago and Henderson are fit to start then we shouldnt really be playing Gini or Mane. Id argue that we should also give Tsimikas another start if Matip, Fabinho are both there.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 11:26:26 am »
I don't care if it's a 50% fit Thiago, put him in.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 12:07:00 pm »
I think I will start thinking about this game when I hear Klopp's press conference and see what state our midfield is in.

Otherwise it would melt your head, thinking of two of our fit midfielders in the backline and trying to fill the gaps in actual midfield!

Fingers crossed for two of Naby, Hendo and Thiago to be available.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 12:11:24 pm »
I'm assuming Gini will start since he was taken off at the hour mark at Atalanta and it seemed like a planned change, and we could see a Salah/Firmino/Jota front three given that Mane played the full 90 while the others got rotated.

Not sure who else starts in midfield really, Minamino could be a surprise change but then it's strange that he didn't get on sooner against Atalanta if that's the case, we just threw him on late to try to salvage something. Klopp did say a midfielder was close to fitness so maybe we get reinforcements there, and there's the question of whether Fabinho could start in midfield with Phillips coming back into defence if needed, but it sounds like we'll need the pace of Matip/Fabinho together at the back.

My guess is one of Henderson/Thiago will make the team.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 12:13:20 pm »
Mane looked exhausted last night. The front three will be Mo, Bob, Dio. Hendo, Gini, Jones the three behind.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 12:24:22 pm »
Mane looked exhausted last night. The front three will be Mo, Bob, Dio. Hendo, Gini, Jones the three behind.

He looked knackered towards the end of Leicester too. I expected him to be rested last night.
Internet terrorist

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 01:10:13 pm »
Any win will do, I imagine it will be difficult, lacking fluidity  but just get the job done . I am hoping one of the injured players is back, gives us more options and fresh legs as we're in need of them. Either Henderson or Thiago would be brilliant, I don't see Naby or Shaq back for this, way too early given their injury histories.

Becker

Kostas
Matip
Phillips
Robertson

Fabinho
Wijnaldum
Jones

Jota
Firmino
Salah

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 01:19:56 pm »
Thanks Sheer great OP

Can’t wait for this after last night, proper team out and back on the winning trail hopefully. Fingers crossed maybe Henderson will be back, the lesser-spotted Thiago would be an absolute bonus
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 01:38:12 pm »
Another game where the starting line-up is as much of a head scratcher as the rest of the game.

Henderson or Thiago being fit to start would be massive.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 01:41:14 pm »
Another game where the starting line-up is as much of a head scratcher as the rest of the game.

Henderson or Thiago being fit to start would be massive.

Both might be fit but we won’t know until tomorrow.

It’s getting a bit desperate in the middle.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 01:41:38 pm »
I’d put Minamino in as part of a front 4 with Salah, Jota and Firmino.

Gini and Jones in midfield.

Robertson, Phillips left, Fabinho right and Neco at the back.

Subs probably Milner, Clarkson, Origi, Adrian, Tsimikas, Matip and Mane.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:44:51 pm by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 02:30:00 pm »

Brighton's where my grandad was from, and we had many a long weekend/week there with extended family during childhood summers, so I tend to keep an eye on them too - no footballing allegiance in particular, but the city connection at least keeps me aware of how they're doing.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 02:52:59 pm »
Last couple of times I've made a Brighton rock joke. Won't be doing that this time. Don't want to a pier repetitive.
Should be winning this, esp. as the lads all had a good rest last night, amirite?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 03:00:36 pm »
Thiago hasn't kicked a football or been in team training for nearly 6 weeks now and people are putting him in their starting line ups ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2020, 03:05:34 pm »
Brighton's where my grandad was from, and we had many a long weekend/week there with extended family during childhood summers, so I tend to keep an eye on them too - no footballing allegiance in particular, but the city connection at least keeps me aware of how they're doing.
It's a lovely little city and feels very inclusive - a lot of good Reds down there. When I started Uni was the year they got promoted from League One to the Championship, so a lot's changed in 10 years for them. I went down to see my mate there in 2010 and saw them play at the Withdean before they moved, losing at home to Huddersfield after they'd already been promoted a few weeks before. The next season we went and saw them beat Southampton 3-0 I think in the Championship at the Falmer, Ashley Barnes had a stormer and looked near-unplayable.

My mate moved to London the year after and hasn't treated me to a match since, selfish!  ;D One of a few English clubs I vaguely follow for pretty tenuous reasons (Crewe Alex being another with family in the area).

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 03:07:25 pm »
Thiago hasn't kicked a football or been in team training for nearly 6 weeks now and people are putting him in their starting line ups ;D

He can’t have played in about that long when he came in and ran the show (against 10 men) at Chelsea. If he’s fit enough to train could he make the bench do you think?

Admittedly he wasn’t coming back from injury in that game, just a lack of match fitness which no doubt you’ll say makes a big difference in your ‘expert’ opinion.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2020, 03:13:57 pm »
It's a lovely little city and feels very inclusive - a lot of good Reds down there. When I started Uni was the year they got promoted from League One to the Championship, so a lot's changed in 10 years for them. I went down to see my mate there in 2010 and saw them play at the Withdean before they moved, losing at home to Huddersfield after they'd already been promoted a few weeks before. The next season we went and saw them beat Southampton 3-0 I think in the Championship at the Falmer, Ashley Barnes had a stormer and looked near-unplayable.

My mate moved to London the year after and hasn't treated me to a match since, selfish!  ;D One of a few English clubs I vaguely follow for pretty tenuous reasons (Crewe Alex being another with family in the area).

Aye, I always enjoy my visits.  I've only actually been once (in 2017) since we gave my grandad his send off in 2009.  Might have to suggest it to family & friends for the next year or two, given the little we've seen of each other this year.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2020, 03:14:51 pm »
If he's fit enough to train then I'd guess he'd be on the bench, I'd be amazed to see him start. The Chelsea game is hugely different as you said as he hadn't been injured and he'd played for Spain in the internationals not long before. He's done nothing like that leading up to this match.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 03:18:10 pm »
If he's fit enough to train then I'd guess he'd be on the bench, I'd be amazed to see him start. The Chelsea game is hugely different as you said as he hadn't been injured and he'd played for Spain in the internationals not long before. He's done nothing like that leading up to this match.

All very fair - and I hope you know I was joking with the ‘expert’ line (I know you’re nothing of the sort).

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 03:27:09 pm »
Sounds like Henderson could be back.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 03:28:48 pm »
Where you hearing that?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 03:29:02 pm »
All very fair - and I hope you know I was joking with the ‘expert’ line (I know you’re nothing of the sort).

I just assume you're always joking now Nick ;)

When Klopp said "one closer the other not that close" before Atalanta i assumed it was Henderson the one who was close.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 04:01:40 pm »
Our Wolves match is Sunday at 7.15.

Fucked over again if you ask me.