Author Topic: Coates confirmed  (Read 132310 times)

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
Re: Coates confirmed
« Reply #1200 on: October 22, 2011, 07:45:03 pm »
I knew someone would post something moronic like this - our cb partnership does not look good but I'm sorry that goal is all on Reina. love the guy and he's a top keeper but he shouldn't be coming there and if he does he has to take the ball

Yup. But he still beat 2 defenders to the ball
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1201 on: October 22, 2011, 07:46:35 pm »
Yup. But he still beat 2 defenders to the ball

Yeah and I'm sure the onrushing - probably shouting - keeper had nothing to do with that

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: October 22, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »
To be fair, Holt did look a right handful - the kind of player Carra would have fucking loved to play against a few years ago.

I'm sorry, but if our centre backs can't deal with Grant fucking Holt, they should fuck off. Carra is well past it, and has been for a while. Baffles me how he still gets picked every single game without fail.

Offline Diomedieocre

• Well-dressed meat 'n veg.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow me, fuckface.
« Reply #1203 on: October 22, 2011, 07:48:09 pm »
I knew someone would post something moronic like this - our cb partnership does not look good but I'm sorry that goal is all on Reina. love the guy and he's a top keeper but he shouldn't be coming there and if he does he has to take the ball

Nope, Holt had gotten in front of Carra and was getting a free head on goal anyway...anywhere other than straight at the keeper and it was a goal regardless, It was a great cross and i would ask the question of how he was allowed to get in the cross in the first place more than having a pop at Pepe.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1204 on: October 22, 2011, 07:50:12 pm »
Nope, Holt had gotten in front of Carra and was getting a free head on goal anyway...anywhere other than straight at the keeper and it was a goal regardless, It was a great cross and i would ask the question of how he was allowed to get in the cross in the first place more than having a pop at Pepe.

Holt is always dangerous in the air, but if the goalkeeper comes that far out then he needs to get to the ball, otherwise stay on the line.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1205 on: October 22, 2011, 07:50:40 pm »

To be fair, Pepe has to take some blame for the goal. Doesn't change the fact that our central defence looks shaky as fuck though.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: October 22, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »
He and Agger should of played today. ._.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1207 on: October 22, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »

Reina made the correct decision. Carra was completely beaten in that instance and every single other one that happened during the game. So either a free shot at goal for Holt, or at least pressure him.

And try to refrain from making insults. Just because you like Carra does not make it ok for you to insult others.

Offline mutiman

• Main Stander
« Reply #1208 on: October 22, 2011, 07:55:53 pm »
This. All through the first half Johnson was even coming for headers that weren't his 'cause he knew Carra couldn't compete in the air.I think the rest of the defence all know he's now a liability and in all honesty has been for a while. The question is why cant the  King see it?
Pretty much this.  Pepe has zero confidence in Carragher in the air.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: October 22, 2011, 07:55:54 pm »
Reina made the correct decision. Carra was completely beaten in that instance and every single other one that happened during the game. So either a free shot at goal for Holt, or at least pressure him.

And try to refrain from making insults. Just because you like Carra does not make it ok for you to insult others.

Reina had a way better chance of saving it by staying on his line than running towards the ball not claiming it. He's the main reason we conceded.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline suredross

• Anny Roader
  • Liverpool nie...Asante Kotoko nie!!!
    • Asante Kotoko
« Reply #1210 on: October 22, 2011, 07:56:54 pm »
^^ absolutely love Pepe but he has no business coming out and not getting the ball. he is a top lad and will bounce back.
i think on other counts, we should start having Agger/Skrtel partnership. Carra should be eased out now.

Offline Howard1234

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1211 on: October 22, 2011, 07:57:42 pm »
Carra and skrtel partnership has never been worked out ! just simply as that

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1212 on: October 22, 2011, 07:59:31 pm »
Reina had a way better chance of saving it by staying on his line than running towards the ball not claiming it. He's the main reason we conceded.

He had no chance saving it by staying on the line, unless hit directly at him. And in that instance it would still hit him rushing out.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: October 22, 2011, 07:59:41 pm »
Coates in for Carragher, thanks.

Offline Diomedieocre

• Well-dressed meat 'n veg.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow me, fuckface.
« Reply #1214 on: October 22, 2011, 08:00:19 pm »
Holt is always dangerous in the air, but if the goalkeeper comes that far out then he needs to get to the ball, otherwise stay on the line.

I think people are underestimating what a quality cross that was...like you said Holt is known for his header so the keeper has to do something..the quality of the cross beat Pepe and like i said he was allowed plenty of time to measure it. I`d rather my keeper come and make a scrap of it rather than just allowing the header especially knowing that our CB`s are not the best in the air...personal preference i suppose.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: October 22, 2011, 08:00:25 pm »
He had no chance saving it by staying on the line, unless hit directly at him. And in that instance it would still hit him rushing out.

Had no chance? Really?

Muhammad Ali

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: October 22, 2011, 08:00:40 pm »
People say he needs time to bed in etc? How the fuck can you bed a player in if they aren't playing
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE £20 BET

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: October 22, 2011, 08:01:43 pm »
Had no chance? Really?

It was 5 meters out, yes unless hit at him he could not save it. Maybe you should try staying in goal and letting someone get a free header at you (like Carra gave to Holt) from 5 yards to understand what I am saying.

And you are making me get off topic. This is about Carra losing every single header he was involved in and the need to have Coates instead of him because he could not physically do worse.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: October 22, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »
It was 5 meters out, yes unless hit at him he could not save it. Maybe you should try staying in goal and letting someone get a free header at you (like Carra gave to Holt) from 5 yards to understand what I am saying.

There's a reason Reina is considered one of the best keepers in the world........

Muhammad Ali

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1219 on: October 22, 2011, 08:05:35 pm »
Reina did make an error of judgement, and has to take the blame for that, but i think if he had more confidence in our centre backs' ability to win the ball in the air, he wouldn't have felt the need to come rushing out for it. The obvious problem we have at the back results in the error, whichever way you look at it.

Coates should help rectify that problem.

Offline suredross

• Anny Roader
    • Asante Kotoko
« Reply #1220 on: October 22, 2011, 08:08:53 pm »

And you are making me get off topic. This is about Carra losing every single header he was involved in and the need to have Coates instead of him because he could not physically do worse.
i beg to differ. had he stayed on the line, there are two scenarios Holt would have gone for:
1. aim for the far post which is more technically difficult to do
2. go for the near post, which is easier and has more pace/power on it
IMO, Reina could have stayed on the line and taken a step or 2 to his left/right if he though he cant get there in one dive.
he definitely had no business committing when he had 2 players on the case....

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1221 on: October 22, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »
Coates in for Carragher, thanks.

There is honestly no other solution. Not hammering Carragher, and it's not based on today, but it needs to happen.

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: October 22, 2011, 08:09:31 pm »
Reina absolutely made a mistake in that he came for a ball he couldn't get. You have to ask why he came for the ball though. The reason is that neither CB seemed able to win a header once Holt came on. If our CBs were clearing all the crosses then make no mistake, Pepe doesn't come for that ball. What he's done is seen how much we're struggling to head the ball clear and he's tried to help his CBs out by coming a long way for a ball to deal with the danger for them.

Not long into the second half I could see we were in trouble with the long balls and crosses. I just sat there wishing Coates was on the bench to come on and deal with the aerial barrage. I'm not sure which of Skrtel or Carra was worse but Holt and Morrison bullied both of them silly in the air.

The deep line compounds the problem as the seconds balls are very dangerous. I don't know this for a fact but I suspect the deep line's to protect Carra. I would hope with any other CB in there, we wouldn't sit so deep.

It shows how bad the situation was that we had to put on Agger for the last few minutes even though we were pushing for a goal. Agger wasn't on long but he did have an impact by winning a very nice, leaping header.

Please start Coates and Agger against Stoke, the kings of route 1.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline suredross

• Anny Roader
    • Asante Kotoko
« Reply #1223 on: October 22, 2011, 08:10:06 pm »
Reina did make an error of judgement, and has to take the blame for that, but i think if he had more confidence in our centre backs' ability to win the ball in the air, he wouldn't have felt the need to come rushing out for it. The obvious problem we have at the back results in the error, whichever way you look at it.

Coates should help rectify that problem.
Coates for who?

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: October 22, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »
Agger and Coates need to start playing together.

Agger is EASILY our best CB, and we need Coates to improve. There's no point playing Jamie now. He's past his peak, and we need to give different CB's the opportunity for the future.

Muhammad Ali

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1225 on: October 22, 2011, 08:26:25 pm »
Agger and Coates need to start playing together.

Agger is EASILY our best CB, and we need Coates to improve. There's no point playing Jamie now. He's past his peak, and we need to give different CB's the opportunity for the future.

that does worry me.
agger may be a decent ball player but he is not as decisive as peole are making out.

when i watch denmark its his partner (kjaer) who always looks like the one in control of the defence.

if you pair him with coates that then puts a lot of pressure on the lad.

to me skrtel may not quite be top class enough but he is consistent in attacking the ball and we know coates is a good reader of the play .....that partnership would be far better imo
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: October 22, 2011, 08:31:35 pm »

to me skrtel may not quite be top class enough but he is consistent in attacking the ball and we know coates is a good reader of the play .....that partnership would be far better imo
I disagree. Skrtel for me is a little too rash...so if Coates is going to be a top level player in regards to attacking the ball. For me, his perfect partner would be the ball player like Agger ( who just needs to stay healthy ).
That all being said, Coates still has to prove that he can be 1st choice yet..hopefully one day soon he will do just that.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: October 22, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »
that does worry me.
agger may be a decent ball player but he is not as decisive as peole are making out.

when i watch denmark its his partner (kjaer) who always looks like the one in control of the defence.

We look way more composed at the back when Agger plays. We hardly never concede either. Think we've copt 2 or 3 goals in over 1000 minutes minutes.

Was just gonna tweet that it must be almost 1,000 minutes with just 1 goal conceded by LFC with Agger in team. But Carra gifts Bolton goal
I can only think of Modric's strike.

Anyway. Skrtel and Agger will also work. And there's a reason Agger is the captain of Denmark. Kjaer is quite overrated. He did horrible in Germany and has looked meh for Roma. 

Muhammad Ali

Offline spinaltapped

• Flesh tuxedo?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Rico Suavez
« Reply #1228 on: October 22, 2011, 08:34:49 pm »
that does worry me.

I think it's going to be Agger OR Coates for the most part. Coates has the same sort of partnership as Agger with Godin. I'm an old fashioned type that thinks there should to be a stopper/sweeper dynamic to centerback partnerships and Skrtel (stopper) and Coates (sweeper) seems like it would work excellently. On top of that, they can both carry the ball effectively out of the back and set up attacks. Also, I feel like the partnership would be a giant leap towards ending our set piece/aerial woes. People forget how good Skrtel is in the air and Coates is a fucking monster.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: October 22, 2011, 08:37:06 pm »
Good too see us easing him in.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:35 pm »
We look way more composed at the back when Agger plays. We hardly never concede either. Think we've copt 2 or 3 goals in over 1000 minutes minutes.
I can only think of Modric's strike.

Anyway. Skrtel and Agger will also work. And there's a reason Agger is the captain of Denmark. Kjaer is quite overrated. He did horrible in Germany and has looked meh for Roma. 

kjare struggled late on in germany because wolfsburg went to pot

we may condede less but i havent really looked in between the lines yet...there could be a valid reason.

he has made some strange decisions in the past and done some crazy things early this season....as ive said before he is one of those who is never near the incident which tells its own story....and you cant have that in defence.

skrtel and agger wont work because skrtel is mor eproactive in meeting the ball and agger would be the coverer.
that would really stretch agger imo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: October 22, 2011, 08:40:10 pm »
I think it's going to be Agger OR Coates for the most part. Coates has the same sort of partnership as Agger with Godin. I'm an old fashioned type that thinks there should to be a stopper/sweeper dynamic to centerback partnerships and Skrtel (stopper) and Coates (sweeper) seems like it would work excellently. On top of that, they can both carry the ball effectively out of the back and set up attacks. Also, I feel like the partnership would be a giant leap towards ending our set piece/aerial woes. People forget how good Skrtel is in the air and Coates is a fucking monster.

wouldnt say thats old fashioned.
a lot of defences are set up with that ballance.

when i was centra back i was always the reader.....nothing to do with me only being 5 19 and my partner being over 6ft lol.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1232 on: October 22, 2011, 08:41:13 pm »
Carra/Skrtel is an awful partnership. Awful.

I'm so sick of watching Carra struggle.
What exactly was wrong with Skrtel's performance today?

Tell me one mistake he made.
Or even one mis-placed pass or particularly poor clearance.
Now tell me who hit the bar early on with a fine-flicked near-post header and ask yourself exactly what his defensive 'rivals' have contributed in terms of goals for the last couple of seasons.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1233 on: October 22, 2011, 08:43:17 pm »
It has to happen, step up Seba.
It has reached the point where we simply cannot afford to be playing Jamie Carragher.

What exactly was wrong with Skrtel's performance today?

Tell me one mistake he made.
Or even one mis-placed pass or particularly poor clearance.
Now tell me who hit the bar early on with a fine-flicked near-post header and ask yourself exactly what his defensive 'rivals' have contributed in terms of goals for the last couple of seasons.

Tell you what HBHR, I sit next to a lad who is worried sick by the presence of Skrtel in the squd (doesn't slate him just doesn't trust him) and he was lauding him today. He was strong and effective, the last player we should be pointing fingers at today.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1234 on: October 22, 2011, 08:43:35 pm »
I understand about bedding him in, I know it's a new league, country, language etc etc etc. But the thing is is that we can't wait three or four years to do that at this rate, it needs to be soon as possible. Carragher isn't good enough anymore and he's only going to regress even further. It's worthless trying to establish a partnership between him and someone else when really he shouldn't and probably won't be first-team material in the short-medium term. He's 34 in a couple of months, no pace, no aireal presense, terrible distribution, and is making individual errors which he didn't do for years.

If Coates comes in and plays and makes mistakes and looks dodgy then that can be fine to an extent because he's young and it's all part of his learning curve. He can learn to iron them out, learn to play with the team and learn to play with a consistent parter/defence in general. Then hopefully in a couple of years he will have matured and be the figure at the back for us that Carragher has been.

We simply don't have the luxury or time to persist with Carragher and somebody else at the minute, it's holding us back significantly.

Offline Ben86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1235 on: October 22, 2011, 08:44:29 pm »
that does worry me.

Kjaer hasn't been in control of anything since he left Italy.

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: October 22, 2011, 09:03:41 pm »
I've read in a number of threads people praising Skrtel. My impression was that both CBs were bullied in the air. Perhaps I need to re watch it?

*I'm not one of the anti-Skrtel brigade. I'm often defending him from unfair criticism.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: October 22, 2011, 09:17:02 pm »
kjare struggled late on in germany because wolfsburg went to pot

we may condede less but i havent really looked in between the lines yet...there could be a valid reason.

he has made some strange decisions in the past and done some crazy things early this season....as ive said before he is one of those who is never near the incident which tells its own story....and you cant have that in defence.

skrtel and agger wont work because skrtel is mor eproactive in meeting the ball and agger would be the coverer.
that would really stretch agger imo

It's worked in the past though, no? I reckon they compliment each other quite fine.

What's he done that was crazy btw? (I'm sorry for talking about Agger in a Coates thread. I really am. :P)

Muhammad Ali

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #1238 on: October 22, 2011, 09:39:30 pm »
I thought Skrtel was excellent today. He came up with the ball on numerous occasions, always looked to play it on the ground and his pass to Enrique (or was it Downing?) was fucking superb. He did, relatively, well in the air and was a danger in the box, the same won't be said of his partner in crime. I would start him with Agger whenever possible, but as a partner to Coates I'd have him over Agger.

Always felt that Agger was the world's greatest #2. He will do a lot of things, but he isn't a natural born leader in the Hyypia mould. He's not the type to stroll about with an attitude of chill the fuck out I got this, or the one to take on the extra burden if his partner fails. He needs a rock at the back who he can lean back on and play his game. Also that he can't be relied on for consecutive games due to his injuries. If we want Coates to get used to playing, having a solid partnership will ease the process and history suggests that Skrtel is more likely to be there every week.
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline Ben86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1239 on: October 22, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »
I thought Skrtel was excellent today. He came up with the ball on numerous occasions, always looked to play it on the ground and his pass to Enrique (or was it Downing?) was fucking superb. He did, relatively, well in the air and was a danger in the box, the same won't be said of his partner in crime. I would start him with Agger whenever possible, but as a partner to Coates I'd have him over Agger.

Always felt that Agger was the world's greatest #2. He will do a lot of things, but he isn't a natural born leader in the Hyypia mould. He's not the type to stroll about with an attitude of chill the fuck out I got this, or the one to take on the extra burden if his partner fails. He needs a rock at the back who he can lean back on and play his game. Also that he can't be relied on for consecutive games due to his injuries. If we want Coates to get used to playing, having a solid partnership will ease the process and history suggests that Skrtel is more likely to be there every week.

I hate your reasoning. It's too rational.