Author Topic: Objectives this season  (Read 5209 times)

Offline stfabians

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Objectives this season
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:34:27 am »
Guys maybe time to think about these!  Heres my view: -

Champions league, see where we are after next week, if were out, there's no reason why we can't go on and win the Uefa Cup (or whatever they call that now).  Not ideal I know, but I'm up for it!!  If we've still got a chance, a special night at Anfield beckons, WOW, I for one can't wait!!

The League, honestly don't know why chasing united can't be an objective.  First objectives must be to get into the top four, but we're only 5 points off third despite all our bad luck.  If we can chase United down, maybe we can kick on from there, African cup of nations for Chelsea etc!!  We just need some luck with our injuries, but better luck on that score is surly a mathematical certainty!!

FA Cup - Lets win the thing!!

Still plenty to play for then, and im behind the boys, and guys, please back up the Lucas bashing with rhyme and reason, from what i've seen im very encouraged, his improvement since he's arrived has been astonishing when you consider how quickly he's done it, how young he is, and how far he is from home.  When people lay into him, they criticize him (9 times out of 10) with obscenities which I don't wanna read.

Some other pointers, we've got our best form to look forward to, which we've seen in flashes.  We have the prospect of one of the best midfielders in the world to enjoy, and hopefully the media will start looking nervously at us at the end of the season, remembering their tune towards us at the beginning.  If they had their way, the old saying, great players don't become bad players over night would be a myth.  Good news for us and the bad news for them, it's very much a true statement. 

Bring it on!!

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Re: Objectives this season
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:41:23 am »
I'd take 4th place in a heartbeat. Anything else is a bonus. Regroup and come back stronger next season.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:46:07 am »
First objective is to start putting a run of wins together and to become a much more solid outfit. The 'A' column in the league table is a massive issue and we have won 1 match out of 10. Until we do those things, it would be silly of us to even think about where we may finish.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:50:22 am »
Let's see where we are at the turn of the new year and then assess our objectives. Right now we are knee deep in the brown stuff and just need to get our big players fit and get a couple of wins in a row. If we can do that quickly then we could have a whole new outlook on the season.

New owners next season who will back the manager would be ideal. 

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:52:01 am »
I think we can put silverware to the back of our minds this season. Champions league qualification top priority. Get the team back to full fitness, identify positions we need to improve on and go forward.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 10:59:19 am »
anyone who wont take 4th place now is yes an optimist but also well  i wont say it....be real nice to throw in the fa cup as well  but cant be too greedy, or maybe our luck will change somewhere an get some nice home draws v lower opposition,  ok dont mention the barnsley game.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 11:01:36 am »
Top 4. It's a huge step down from what the objectives were at the start of the season but we can't change that, now.
Blank.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:06:04 am »
We'll get 3rd this year I reckon.

Chelsea won't be caught by anyone, I think they'll be pushing 90 points with the others struggling to get 80.

3rd, FA Cup win, UEFA Cup win and it'll look alright in years to come.

Offline Morientes-19

• Kopite
  • 61 matches / 12 goals
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:08:30 am »
Wafer Cup, FA Cup, top four would do.
18 League Titles • 7 FA Cup Titles • 8 League Cup Titles • 15 Community Shield Titles • 5 European Cup Titles • 3 UEFA Cup Titles • 3 European Super Cup Titles

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:09:51 am »
Dont mean to sound the bore but a couple of wins would do for now!

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:19:56 am »
Finish ahead of the mancs, consolidate second place or narrowly miss out to third. Qualify knockout phase of CL and a good run in the FA Cup.

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 11:24:04 am »
We'll get 3rd this year I reckon.

Chelsea won't be caught by anyone, I think they'll be pushing 90 points with the others struggling to get 80.

3rd, FA Cup win, UEFA Cup win and it'll look alright in years to come.

3rd, FA Cup and UEFA Cup? Arent you been a bit unrealistic? Top 4 and I will be happy ...
The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline macca_no11

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 12:20:43 pm »
Dont mean to sound the bore but a couple of wins would do for now!

I'm with you on this. I think it's too early to say what we might eventually achieve this season - for now we should just be looking to get a couple of results that we can build on over the next few weeks, and then see where we are at the business end of things.

Offline macmanaman

• doo doo dedoo doo
  • Kopite
  • Rafalution
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 12:23:40 pm »
I'll take 3rd or 4th. Maybe an FA cup, and if Tuesday turns out to be bad, maybe the Europa Cup would not be bad.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 12:24:22 pm »
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 12:26:27 pm »
4th place

FA Cup

New owners

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 12:30:54 pm »
Honestly I'd take dropping out of the big 4 for a year if it meant new owners. Doesn't seem likely, so i'd take 4th and either; going deep into the FA cup or winning it, and getting through the group stage of the CL.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 12:38:53 pm »
Try and get 2nd in the league.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 12:46:01 pm »
Try to get the team going again and hoping for a cup.
The little European cup, I don't know what it's called now, maybe ?
New owners would be nice, but I don't see that as an objective.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 12:57:21 pm »
4th place. We aint winning any trophies if we are honest.

Consolidate 4th, and look to next season.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 04:53:59 pm »
2nd. FA Cup and whichever European competition we end up in. Oh, and new owners too. 

The team is still good enough to do all of that, assuming it sorts it's self out sooner rather than later.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 04:56:08 pm »
No reason why we cant at least try for 3rd and have a go at the FA Cup...

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »
Top 4 has to be the main objective this season, an FA Cup would be a great bonus.Lets get our best 11 on the pitch every week first, when that happens we will go on a decent run.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 04:59:53 pm »
Finish in the top 4, and if we don't go out Tuesday, then win the CL or FA cup.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 05:01:30 pm »

3rd, FA Cup and UEFA Cup? Arent you been a bit unrealistic? Top 4 and I will be happy ...

Top 4 and those 2 trophies should be what we are aiming after. Should be no problem for a team who expected to challenge for and win the title at the start of the this season.

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 05:02:35 pm »
Its got to be a minimum top 4 finish. I'd hate to think what would would happen if we failed to qualify for the champions league. :(
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 05:02:59 pm »
Try to finish 2nd, win the FA Cup, and the UEFA Cup. Try to blood some youngsters like Pacheco, Kelly, Ngog, Ecclestone.

Clean sheet would be a start.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 05:05:08 pm »
A win would do for now

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 05:09:24 pm »
40 points... Safety is the key.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 05:11:40 pm »
A threesome.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Wiggles

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 06:20:34 pm »
One game at a time!

Offline J_M_C

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 06:39:45 pm »
A win against Debrecen would do for now
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 06:44:41 pm »
I'd take 4th place in a heartbeat. Anything else is a bonus. Regroup and come back stronger next season.

Agreed. Lets also try to the FA cup!
We won it 5 times........

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 06:45:06 pm »
Rafa to let Aquillani play. It's almost a month now since he came on at Arsenal so why is he still being in wrapped in cotton wool? I was stunned yesterday when Ayrelio came on for Benayoun. No disrespect to Aurelio, but surely Aquillani was the logical change. Is there something still wrong with him that is being hushed up?

Offline MidMaestro

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 06:45:08 pm »
Id say the objectives are the same as they always were - The league and a cup.

We'd do better though to stop re-assessing our objectives every few results and just concentrate on winning and building on that for a couple of months.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:35 pm »
My personal objective this season is to rid our club of these cancers wherever we finish in the league / cups and regroup with new owners new hope next season.
Trouble is - on the eve of every game i go through all the possible team selections and wish my head off for a win.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 08:23:14 pm »
Rafa to let Aquillani play. It's almost a month now since he came on at Arsenal so why is he still being in wrapped in cotton wool? I was stunned yesterday when Ayrelio came on for Benayoun. No disrespect to Aurelio, but surely Aquillani was the logical change. Is there something still wrong with him that is being hushed up?

Problem was Aquilani wasn't a left sided player who could help shut SWP down and help Insua out. Oh and the fact the first 2 subs were used on injured players - unless you wanted Aquilani to cover Agger at centreback?

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 08:55:39 pm »
Looking at our run of games coming up, i think we can put together a good run starting against Debrecen. These next few games could be crucial.

24 Nov, 2009   Debrecen   Champions League Group Phase   A   19:45   
29 Nov, 2009   Everton   Barclays Premier League   A   13:30   
05 Dec, 2009   Blackburn Rovers   Barclays Premier League   A   15:00   
09 Dec, 2009   Fiorentina   Champions League Group Phase   H   19:45   
13 Dec, 2009   Arsenal   Barclays Premier League   H   16:00   
16 Dec, 2009   Wigan Athletic   Barclays Premier League   H   20:00   
19 Dec, 2009   Portsmouth   Barclays Premier League   A   12:45   
26 Dec, 2009   Wolverhampton Wanderers   Barclays Premier League   H   17:30   

Beating Debrecen would be good for confidence and im hoping it will be a good starting point for us to build on. Next comes the derby, another game that would be great for confidence. Blackburn is very winnable and that Fiorentina game could be huge.

Just for a start looking at these 4 games, how different would things look for us if we win all of these games ? We would (depending on Lyon v Fiorentina) be qualified from the CL group stage, have taken derby spoils to give the team a big boost and have picked up some much needed points in the league.

The Arsenal game that follows Fiorentina is also huge. Winning that would be massive and would send out a message too. The other three games... 3 points should be the least we expect from each of those games.

I know things look bad at present but there are good signs in our play too. The defence is a big problem at the moment as our injuries obviously but im confident they will improve sooner rather than later. We do need to take things one game at a time but with key players coming back every game i can only see things getting better.

I know the whole injury thing is there but look at this team...

Reina

Johnson Carra Agger Aurelio

Masch Lucas/Aquilani

Yossi         Gerrard        Riera

Torres

We havent got to see it yet but i'd back our first choice 11 against anyone. I know we have to be realistic about things but despite this i still have high hopes for our season and im staying optimistic. Theres alot of football still to be played and im not looking to the end of the season yet. 

Offline Strawberry Fields

• Pending....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 09:05:47 pm »
To be honest, on the evidence presented so far this season there's no scenario that will surprise me, not even the most pessimistic outcome of finishing 4th in the CL and 6th-7th in the league.
Obviously we need to aim much higher than that but at this point I'd be very reluctantly content with a top 4 finish, a nice run in the FA Cup with more youngsters than Rafa usually allows himself to use and either qualifying for the last 16 of CL or reaching the later stages of Europa League (depending on our next two european results of course). If we'll do better - even better.

Offline KennyLFC

• Kopite
  • Irish Red
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 09:08:51 pm »
FA Cup and 4th wouldnt be too bad but its a big stepdown after last seasons peformance.
PSN: KennyLFC92
Xbox: k3nn3thg