Author Topic: Virgin Hub Advice  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Lenny88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
Virgin Hub Advice
« on: June 5, 2017, 10:14:10 am »
Internet connection kept dropping in my house so virgin have come today and upgraded me to the Hub 3.0..

The feller was explaining that when its fully operational the white light at the bottom is the only light that should be visible unless there is some sort of an issue!
However, the green wifi icon has been flashing since he left and I've no idea what it means? does anybody have this hub and know what the problem is?

ive got the hub hard wired to my SkyQ box then my mini box seems to be a bit laggy upstairs now but unsure if thats related or what?

any advice would be boss.
Nice one.
Walk On..

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Hub Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2017, 10:20:59 am »
If you login to the control panel, you'll be able to see if there's a problem - admin details are on the sticker on the bottom it'll be at https://192.168.0.1 - I've got the 3.0 router and it's a pain in the arse sometimes. The wifi does seem less reliable than the 2, but you'll need to check if the lag is being caused by interference from other wifi signals (neighbours etc) and switch the channels around until you find one that's pretty stable. I've also split the SSID for the wifi so it's easier to connect devices that don't support 5ghz, assume the mini box will but if it's far from the router you might be better off on 2G anyway.

Offline Lenny88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2017, 10:28:30 am »
Thanks for the reply - Just logged into the settings and it doesn't seem to show any issues that i can make out but the hub is still just continuously flashing.

i'll play with the mini box upstairs and see if i can get that more stable!
Walk On..

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2017, 12:02:11 pm »
Wifi performance on these is dreadful I find. Can you hard wire the mini box? I have several types of streaming device and have them all hard wired, living room straight from the router and kitchen/upstairs using TP Link home plugs, one of which is a wifi plug which boosts the signal to the back of the house.

As for the flashing have you tried just resetting the hub?

Offline Lenny88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2017, 06:53:51 pm »
Wifi performance on these is dreadful I find. Can you hard wire the mini box? I have several types of streaming device and have them all hard wired, living room straight from the router and kitchen/upstairs using TP Link home plugs, one of which is a wifi plug which boosts the signal to the back of the house.

As for the flashing have you tried just resetting the hub?

got the main Q box hard wired yeah, could do with another power line to hard wire the mini box too i think! didn't think of a WIFI plug, could be useful that!

yeah tried rebooting it a few times and still no joy, quite frustrating now.. no idea why its flashing.
Walk On..

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2017, 01:20:06 pm »
Might be of interest, seems it's a firmware issue and disabling the WPS in the router settings is a possible fix.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wifi-Light-Flashing-on-my-hub3/td-p/3010286

Offline Lenny88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2017, 04:42:21 pm »
Might be of interest, seems it's a firmware issue and disabling the WPS in the router settings is a possible fix.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wifi-Light-Flashing-on-my-hub3/td-p/3010286

your a legend mate! sorted it!

thanks for that
Walk On..

Offline Lenny88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2017, 07:16:36 pm »
We got a new Virgin Hub recently and I also find the wi-fi strength quite poor.

Has anyone fitted a wi-fi booster they'd recommend?

i got a TP link powerline which has been really useful!
Walk On..

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2017, 07:48:08 pm »
We got a new Virgin Hub recently and I also find the wi-fi strength quite poor.

Has anyone fitted a wi-fi booster they'd recommend?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/WiFi-Boosters/TL-WPA4220KIT-V1-20-Powerline-Extender-Configuration-Smartphone-UK/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496774235&sr=8-3&keywords=tp+link+powerline

Connect the non wifi one to the router then plug the wifi one where you want to extend the wifi range. I have the wifi one in the kitchen and it works well, has two Ethernet ports which I connect to a couple of streaming devices. Need to get one for upstairs as the wifi up there is pretty weak. You can get these with pass through as well so you don't lose a socket.

You could alternatively look at buying another router and connecting that to the hub, set the hub in modem mode.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2017, 08:42:52 pm »
No probs.

If you have an android phone I'd recommend getting the wifi analyser app so you can check the best channel (least busy) to set the router to, it's usually set to auto and this doesn't always select the best channel. Usually the ones at the outer extremes of the channel range are the least busy but with the app you can see for yourself. I think you can change the channel on the home plug too but might need to connect to it with an Ethernet cable via a PC using a utility program.