Author Topic: UFC/MMA thread  (Read 1895261 times)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: UFC/MMA thread
« Reply #30200 on: July 23, 2022, 10:09:27 pm »
Not making any excuses for those tweets but is it just those two tweets? Not enough for me to say he's a racist.
I don't follow him or MMA, only interested in when he actually fights.
Whats all that about mate? What did he tweet?

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #30201 on: July 23, 2022, 10:10:00 pm »

Think

Pimblett's tweet, which had been a response to a fan, said "Lad how stupid are these Georgians man?" Alongside a series of crying laughing emojis, before adding "No wonder the Russians terrorise their lives".

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30202 on: July 23, 2022, 10:10:15 pm »
Anti immigration stuff, he's old enough to know better

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #30203 on: July 23, 2022, 10:14:05 pm »
Think

Pimblett's tweet, which had been a response to a fan, said "Lad how stupid are these Georgians man?" Alongside a series of crying laughing emojis, before adding "No wonder the Russians terrorise their lives".
Jesus Christ
YNWA

Online AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #30204 on: July 23, 2022, 10:14:25 pm »
Don't like the kid, not one bit.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #30205 on: July 23, 2022, 10:15:57 pm »
Excellent submission by Pimblett....and hats off to him for staying focussed over the last few days....it was clear from his post-fight reaction that he's been floored by whats happened...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30206 on: July 23, 2022, 10:17:37 pm »
Not having that, I'm Irish, I lived in Liverpool for a long time and was greeted with open arms barring a few mingebags, and always saw racism and xenophobic behaviour challenged if it ever occurred in pubs or clubs I was in, so Pimblett needs to be aware of where he's from.
I just don't think two ignorant tweets are enough to write someone off as a racist and attack anyone who supports him. Agree with your post though and happy that's been your experience, although Merseyside is still a place with more than a few areas that voted for Brexit and also in my experience still plenty of ignorant c*nts, although I do think it's improving.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30207 on: July 23, 2022, 10:20:33 pm »
I just don't think two ignorant tweets are enough to write someone off as a racist and attack anyone who supports him. Agree with your post though and happy that's been your experience, although Merseyside is still a place with more than a few areas that voted for Brexit and also in my experience still plenty of ignorant c*nts, although I do think it's improving.
How did I attack anyone who supports him?, as I said he's won well tonight, but if you tweet like that you're quite clearly a racist.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30208 on: July 23, 2022, 10:21:45 pm »
How did I attack anyone who supports him?, as I said he's won well tonight, but if you tweet like that you're quite clearly a racist.
Was not referring to you mate.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30209 on: July 23, 2022, 10:26:24 pm »
Was not referring to you mate.
OK mate fair enough.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #30210 on: July 23, 2022, 10:26:32 pm »
Know someone related to his girlfriend and he is meant to be a mad kid but lovely and generous lad if you know him.

Can't see any reason to doubt this.

Good win , seems a right  character

And this is clear.

Don't like the kid, not one bit.

But I can't help but feel like this. Can't stand all the social-media deifying of him, based on what seems largely like crowd-pleasing sloganeering.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30211 on: July 23, 2022, 10:27:53 pm »
Can't see any reason to doubt this.

And this is clear.

But I can't help but feel like this. Can't stand all the social-media deifying of him, based on what seems largely like crowd-pleasing sloganeering.
Yeah, the UFC are quite clearly grooming him as a future star, so hopefully they'll match him up accordingly next time around.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #30212 on: July 23, 2022, 10:31:44 pm »

Tbf it was more than 2 tweets and then he came out and defended the tweets saying that they weren’t racist views, rather than holding his hands up and apologising.

It’s a shame because those tweets aside, him and molly do a lot of good for parts of the city with the homeless, food banks etc.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #30213 on: July 23, 2022, 10:33:05 pm »
I only ever heard of him a few days after the final in Paris as I seen his youtube thing on what happened after the match . His post fight speech tonight was fucking spot on about his mate and men should talk more about their woes as I know a few that didn't and are no longer here . I reckon he's sound .  What's this stuff about him being a rascist then as I don't have a clue what youse are on about . If anyone could enlighten us on it so I can then form my own opinion on it. Thanks.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30214 on: July 23, 2022, 10:33:14 pm »
a racist , even saw videos during the week there of him being a wanker with bouncers in Liverpool City centre,
As some one who is not on twitter at all, I haven't got a clue who says anything about our players never mind the discussion about Paddy - I'm just genuinely interested in his fighting career.

But that all paints a grim picture which I'm inclined to make a judgement about.

So do people think this is true or exaggerated?

Offline Fazak_Red

• Seems to think everything is shite, not including his own one-liners though, of course not......
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #30215 on: July 23, 2022, 10:35:37 pm »
His views were no different from what your average working class scouser is like to be honest.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30216 on: July 23, 2022, 10:35:43 pm »
As some one who is not on twitter at all, I haven't got a clue who says anything about our players never mind the discussion about Paddy - I'm just genuinely interested in his fighting career.

But that all paints a grim picture which I'm inclined to make a judgement about.

So do people think this is true or exaggerated?
He posted the tweets a few years back, and they were clearly wrong, yeah you could have made a case for it being a one off, as he's such a young fella, but he literally doubled down on it.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #30217 on: July 23, 2022, 10:41:53 pm »
Got attacked on twitter for suggesting the racism. “He’s speaking facts” etc so I’d be inclined to agree it’s maybe a commonly held view among working class scousers. I’m obviously not one but speak as a citizen of a country than sent as many immigrants round the world per head of population than most likely any other country and I just don’t agree with him and think he’s being a c*nt. He’s forcing the scouse thing almost as a character rather than himself.
YNWA

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30218 on: July 23, 2022, 10:48:17 pm »

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30219 on: July 23, 2022, 10:54:18 pm »
He’s a better fighter than I thought he was .. very flexible. Ricky is the lad in Huyton who threw himself under a train. He looked genuinely gutted over him.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #30220 on: July 23, 2022, 10:56:47 pm »
Horrible way for a main event to go

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #30221 on: July 23, 2022, 10:57:57 pm »
That’s unfortunate, was looking forward to this. Seems to have done a lot of damage to his knee.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30222 on: July 23, 2022, 10:58:32 pm »
What a shame. Most likely an ACL.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #30223 on: July 23, 2022, 10:58:49 pm »
He’s a better fighter than I thought he was .. very flexible. Ricky is the lad in Huyton who threw himself under a train. He looked genuinely gutted over him.

Agreed, having seen his post-fight interview. He spoke well and I think everyone can get behind what he said.

Probably fair to say that my post above and some of the others are more general comments about a perception of him built up over recent years. Had I seen his post-match comments before posting, I'd probably not have posted the above tonight.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30224 on: July 23, 2022, 10:58:53 pm »
What a shame for Aspinall, one of my favourite competitors in UFC, even Blaydes seems apologetic.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30225 on: July 23, 2022, 11:00:09 pm »
This doesn't look good

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30226 on: July 23, 2022, 11:02:33 pm »
His views were no different from what your average working class scouser is like to be honest.

Wow
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30227 on: July 23, 2022, 11:05:51 pm »
I'm sorry what?, I'm not a Scouser but I do know that the majority of the people I encountered while living in the area absolutely do not hold these views.

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #30228 on: July 23, 2022, 11:10:45 pm »

I sincerely hope not.
What's your pleasure?

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30229 on: July 23, 2022, 11:14:37 pm »
He’s perhaps not the smartest with his use of social media, he’s quite clearly targeted by people winding him up and he bites a lot of the time. He seems part of this toxic side of social media whereby people involved in the toxic behaviour always blame other people whilst continuously reacting to it rather than reporting or blocking the individuals.

That said, the tweets people are quoting are over 3 years old, they’re not great at all, but I’m not a fan of digging up things people posted on social media years ago. He does a lot of good work for a lot of good causes (not least his comments this evening) and whilst that is no excuse for racism, it does make me inclined to believe that the comments were misplaced rather than illustrative of him holding racist beliefs.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #30230 on: July 23, 2022, 11:15:10 pm »
Everyone hates Paddy but loves Alisson Becker even though he supports Bolsonaro?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30231 on: July 23, 2022, 11:15:47 pm »

I sincerely hope not.
In my experience, not, I lived (for a while) in Chepstow Street just off County Road when I got my first job out of Uni, and that was 20 years ago and I can't remember much, if any racism.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30232 on: July 23, 2022, 11:16:13 pm »
Everyone hates Paddy but loves Alisson Becker even though he supports Bolsonaro?
You're really reaching here fella.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #30233 on: July 23, 2022, 11:26:19 pm »
Tbf it was more than 2 tweets and then he came out and defended the tweets saying that they weren’t racist views, rather than holding his hands up and apologising.

It’s a shame because those tweets aside, him and molly do a lot of good for parts of the city with the homeless, food banks etc.
looks like he did hold his hands up, and his apology was accepted

"Lad, I didn't even know that! I just thought that Guram dude looked like a poor man's Khabib. So called him a fake Russian. I literally had no idea they took offense to it, then they all went mad," he added.

"I would like the Georgian people to understand that I had no idea about the history between Georgia and Russia. I'm a fighter, not a historian or politician. I didn't know what had gone. The people seem to think I said it with malice when I had no idea of the past," said Pimblett.

"It's very easy to tweet something stupid and then delete it the moment your *ss gets burned. However, it takes real courage to publicly apologize to the people you have offended just because you wanted to get under somebody's skin, Paddy Pimblett," wrote Jojua.

JFT 96

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30234 on: July 23, 2022, 11:27:58 pm »

"Lad, I didn't even know that! I just thought that Guram dude looked like a poor man's Khabib. So called him a fake Russian. I literally had no idea they took offense to it, then they all went mad," he added.

"I would like the Georgian people to understand that I had no idea about the history between Georgia and Russia. I'm a fighter, not a historian or politician. I didn't know what had gone. The people seem to think I said it with malice when I had no idea of the past," said Pimblett.

"It's very easy to tweet something stupid and then delete it the moment your *ss gets burned. However, it takes real courage to publicly apologize to the people you have offended just because you wanted to get under somebody's skin, Paddy Pimblett," wrote Jojua.
I hadn't seen anything about this, but if he has put his hands up and admitted he was wrong then fair fucks.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #30235 on: July 23, 2022, 11:37:40 pm »

Don’t think he apologised for the other shit that he retweeted about different topics that people posted and other things he said about immigrants, in fact he came out and tweeted afterwards that his views weren’t racist when he was called out about what he said.

He said some good things after the fight tonight about mental health and it’s probably best that we focus on those points rather than dragging stuff up from the past because too many people suffer in silence and are afraid/ashamed to get help, especially men.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #30236 on: July 23, 2022, 11:40:37 pm »
What a shame. Most likely an ACL.

Doctor said to Bisping it's most likely his mcl because of how much pain he was in.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30237 on: July 23, 2022, 11:45:41 pm »
He addressed these a few months back  Confirmed he's still a Nigel Frottage-lite piece of shit.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30238 on: July 23, 2022, 11:50:39 pm »
He addressed these a few months back  Confirmed he's still a Nigel Frottage-lite piece of shit.

2 of those 3 tweets are from 2019 to be fair.

I don’t think he’s racist, I just think he’s incredibly naive with his usage of social media and gets drawn into these arguments all the time.

The stuff from 2019 is clearly not great, not convinced it makes him akin to Frottage though, hopefully I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt too much there.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #30239 on: July 23, 2022, 11:53:05 pm »
2 of those 3 tweets are from 2019 to be fair.

I don’t think he’s racist, I just think he’s incredibly naive with his usage of social media and gets drawn into these arguments all the time.

The stuff from 2019 is clearly not great, not convinced it makes him akin to Frottage though, hopefully I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt too much there.

It is a million miles away from Frottage. Frottage is a well-educated man who deliberately creates the false narrative that people like Pimblett believe and repeat.
"Ohhh-kayyy"