Author Topic: General Election on June 8th  (Read 417140 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: General Election on June 8th
« Reply #4000 on: May 27, 2017, 12:33:08 pm »
What's your point? Corbyn didn't negotiate with the IRA, he supported them. And most people involved in the peace process say that Corbyn had nothing to do with it.

My point is that all politicians have more dealings with more groups than people imagine.

I'm not sure you can say he 'supported them' - he sympathised with their point of view - but that's a world away from 'supporting them'
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4001 on: May 27, 2017, 12:34:30 pm »

And just gone on the mail site

This explains a lot.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4002 on: May 27, 2017, 12:36:10 pm »
My point is that all politicians have more dealings with more groups than people imagine.

I'm not sure you can say he 'supported them' - he sympathised with their point of view - but that's a world away from 'supporting them'
Factually not true.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4003 on: May 27, 2017, 12:38:21 pm »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4004 on: May 27, 2017, 12:39:52 pm »

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4006 on: May 27, 2017, 12:40:47 pm »
In what way?
He attended commemorations to remember IRA dead, minutes silence and other such views on it. He clearly backed the IRA at that time. It would be like some politician trying to be Prime Minister who supported the UVF at the time. Unacceptable in my opinion.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4007 on: May 27, 2017, 12:42:17 pm »
He attended commemorations to remember IRA dead, minutes silence and other such views on it. He clearly backed the IRA at that time. It would be like some politician trying to be Prime Minister who supported the UVF at the time. Unacceptable in my opinion.

So he didn't support the IRA after all then?

He even said yesterday that he didn't. So what are you a liar or an idiot unless you have clear proof.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4008 on: May 27, 2017, 12:45:07 pm »

He even said yesterday that he didn't. So what are you a liar or an idiot unless you have clear proof.
I wouldn't go digging in that particular hole Andy, it's deep enough already.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4009 on: May 27, 2017, 12:46:40 pm »

People can be wrong without being liars or idiots.

Where does speaking people to like that get us?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4010 on: May 27, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »
People can be wrong without being liars or idiots.

Where does speaking people to like that get us?

Torquay

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4011 on: May 27, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »

Go look at his quotes on the subject, his attendance of events to remember IRA dead. Unless you want to pretend it never happened, then fine. What sane person turns up to any event to commemorate terrorists is beyond me.

I can actually understand some want to defend Corbyn because he is the only hope currently being the Labour leader afterall to get Labour back into government (won't happen). So people will go to any lengths out of sheer desperation because the Tories have a shit leader and many crap policies. But facts are facts.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4012 on: May 27, 2017, 01:09:36 pm »
YouTube ads seem to have that Tory add of jezza saying 'I've been opposing anti terror legislation since 1983' up a lot at the moment, think that quote could come back to bury him these next few weeks

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4013 on: May 27, 2017, 01:14:28 pm »
YouTube ads seem to have that Tory add of jezza saying 'I've been opposing anti terror legislation since 1983' up a lot at the moment, think that quote could come back to bury him these next few weeks
Yeah I had that inflicted on me too this morning. Got as far as him promising cuts for the armed forces.

I think the ad's purpose is to reinforce existing views as the rebuttals from Rudd and Boris didn't really land a blow and seemed to have been prepared from the pre-speech release.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4014 on: May 27, 2017, 01:22:52 pm »
Yeah I had that inflicted on me too this morning. Got as far as him promising cuts for the armed forces.

I think the ad's purpose is to reinforce existing views as the rebuttals from Rudd and Boris didn't really land a blow and seemed to have been prepared from the pre-speech release.
think that ad has been going for about two weeks, for obvious reasons I wouldn't be shocked if they massively ramped that up since yesterday, after all it's likely to affect more under 35s than the older lot who labour need to change mind more so than the younger ones

Would keep it going until the end though, they don't pay if you skip after the 5 seconds, although to be fair to them they were smart putting that bit in the first 5 seconds so if you skip they still get their message across

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4015 on: May 27, 2017, 01:24:18 pm »
Go look at his quotes on the subject, his attendance of events to remember IRA dead. Unless you want to pretend it never happened, then fine. What sane person turns up to any event to commemorate terrorists is beyond me.

I can actually understand some want to defend Corbyn because he is the only hope currently being the Labour leader afterall to get Labour back into government (won't happen). So people will go to any lengths out of sheer desperation because the Tories have a shit leader and many crap policies. But facts are facts.

I have had a look at his quotes on the subject (Not those quotes tampered with by the S*n, Daily Fail, Express, Torygraph, Spectator etc. though which obviously paint their own picture)

This is a good summing up; 

https://www.opendemocracy.net/luke-davies/re-examining-corbyns-dangerous-friendships

The IRA 

Corbyn's position on Ireland is that whilst he unequivocally condemns ‘all bombing’ carried out by the IRA, he insists on acknowledging the role of atrocities like Bloody Sunday and the "treatment of IRA prisoners" in precipitating radicalisation. As he has explained repeatedly,  he felt in the 80s and early 90s that discussion was a better route towards a peace process. 

Those wishing to challenge this by depicting Corbyn as an IRA sympathiser have pointed to evidence that he stood for a minute’s silence to commemorate IRA terrorists who had been shot dead in an SAS ambush in 1987. They also point out that he invited individuals associated with the IRA into parliament only a matter of weeks after the Brighton bombings. 

Controversial sounding. But let's be clear: the 1987 Loughgall ambush incurred civilian casualties and a civilian fatality, commemorated in the silence. The meetings in parliament were to discuss 'prison conditions and the rehabilitation of prisoners'. In other words, these actions were entirely consistent with Corbyn’s repeatedly expressed opposition to violence as a means of counteracting terrorism. Taking Corbyn’s actions out of these contexts, ignoring his repeated condemnation of the IRA’s violent tactics and insisting that he met with these individuals (in parliament) as an expression of support for their cause requires a series of staggering imaginative leaps.

Another widely circulated claim is that as a member of the editorial board of London Labour Briefing (along with Tony Benn), Corbyn was responsible for an editorial that stated: ‘the British only sit up and take notice when they are bombed into it’.  And yet (as Nathan Akehurst has argued elsewhere) this sentence can only possibly be read as an endorsement of bombing when taken completely out of context. The article argues that given that the IRA were "determined never to lay down arms" until listened to, republican voices "must be heard". Consequently, its authors clearly endorse Sinn Fein’s ballot box strategy. The bombing reference read in light of these remarks isn't a defence of violence, but is a condemnation of the causes of it. As such, it is again consistent with Corbyn’s insistence on dialogue – a conviction that anticipated Mo Mowlam’s much lauded policy of ‘talking to terrorists’. 

I'm not a fan of Corbyn either. I think his stance on Brexit is a bag of shite and he's not my cup of tea at all. We need more Northern representation in the Labour Party. Andy Burnham or Steve Rotheram or Maria Eagle would be my much preferred candidate.

But that doesn't mean you have to spread Right Wing hate speech.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4016 on: May 27, 2017, 01:34:46 pm »
Then you can move in to john mcdonnell who I don't think anyone can argue was an IRA supporter, as well as the Home Secretary under a Corbyn leadership being a total fuckwit who wanted the IRA to win and that also fucks him on this issue

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4017 on: May 27, 2017, 01:43:01 pm »
But that doesn't mean you have to spread Right Wing hate speech.
Do you not realize how tiresome that shite is? He commemorated the IRA dead in a ceremony.  If you want to deny history, that is OK. I did say I understand some wanting to do that for electoral purposes.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4018 on: May 27, 2017, 01:54:37 pm »
Fucking hell Andy, that's a cracking article. This bit could win an Olympic gymnastics medal:

Corbyn was responsible for an editorial that stated: ‘the British only sit up and take notice when they are bombed into it’.  And yet (as Nathan Akehurst has argued elsewhere) this sentence can only possibly be read as an endorsement of bombing when taken completely out of context. The article argues that given that the IRA were "determined never to lay down arms" until listened to, republican voices "must be heard". Consequently, its authors clearly endorse Sinn Fein’s ballot box strategy.

So saying that the Government would have to be bombed into taking notice is actually an endorsement of the ballot box strategy? 

He'd have been better off admitting his support but say that he'd moved on and no longer agreed. Instead he keeps on with the fiction that he was part of (or in some versions started) the peace process. He voted against the Anglo-Irish agreement, voted against numerous anti-terrorism measures and supported the IRA in the same way as many in the hard left at the time.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #4019 on: May 27, 2017, 01:55:48 pm »

You do know that British intelligence forces under successive British Prime Ministers colluded with Loyalist paramilitaries, don't you?

Just to join the dots, that's not some politician who wants to be Prime Minister. That was some politicians who were Prime Minister.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #4020 on: May 27, 2017, 01:57:02 pm »
Well it does doesn't it - those places are seen as 'The West'.

"The West" is responsible for millions of deaths in the Middle East. To pretend that they aren't is ridiculous. If it happened here, then the suggestion that it wouldn't create anger and disgust is equally ridiculous.

Andy, there's nuanced piece in Grauniad by Freedland.

It's worth a read to understand where I'm coming from with my request that it would be a good idea to think very carefully before making what superficially appears to be an attractive solution, but may well turn out to be a far too simplistic approach.

....One camp holds that the men who plant these bombs are driven by loathing for western values, for our freedom and permissive way of life, and especially for the liberty exercised by women. The other argues that the root cause is western foreign policy and our record of armed intervention in Muslim lands. Boiled down, it becomes a battle of who we are versus what we do.

I understand the draw of the latter position, which was staked out in a sober and carefully caveated speech by Jeremy Corbyn today. For one thing, foreign policy clearly plays some role in these horrific events. Listen to the testimony of Jomana Abedi, sister of the Manchester murderer, who said of her brother: “He saw the explosives America drops on children in Syria, and he wanted revenge,” before adding, rather chillingly: “Whether he got that is between him and God.” Recall the posthumous video released by Mohammad Sidique Khan, ringleader of the 7/7 bombers, in which he cast himself as an avenger for the 2003 invasion of Iraq. And recall too the warnings of Britain’s security services, who feared the Iraq war could lead to increased radicalisation.

Besides, such a stance has an appeal beyond the facts. It grants us a degree of control over these acts of catastrophe. It lets us think that we can bring an end to this horror, if only we change tack internationally. We can ensure there are no Manchester tragedies: it’s up to us.

The trouble is, the link is not nearly so simple or direct. Talk to those who devote their lives to the study of violent jihadism, reading Isis’s propaganda and interviewing its devotees, and a different picture emerges.

For one thing, it’s not all about us. Most of jihadism’s victims are other Muslims, in the Arab world or in Africa. When they murder and maim Shia Muslims by the hundreds, they’re not doing that to punish western foreign policy. When Isis set about the massacre of Yazidi men and the enslavement and mass rape of Yazidi women and girls, it wasn’t revenge for western meddling in the Middle East. It takes an oddly Eurocentric view of the world to decide that this is a phenomenon entirely of the west’s creation.

Moreover, what might count as western provocation, fuelling jihadism, is not as clear as some might like to think. Many on the left assume it is military intervention that turns young men into jihadis ready to murder pre-teen girls. But I recall my own first encounter with that ideology, back in the 1990s.

I was speaking at a student meeting that was disrupted by loud activists from the extremist al-Muhajiroun group. What were they furious about? The west’s failure to take military action over Bosnia. These young men were livid that Britain and the US had not dropped bombs to prevent the massacre at Srebrenica. It proved, they said, that the west held Muslim lives to be cheap.

We know that Salman Abedi was a child of Libyan Islamists, vehemently opposed to Muammar Gaddafi. Imagine his rage if the west had heard the dictator’s threats to carry out a massacre in Bengazi in 2011 and done nothing. It would be similar to the jihadi venom that’s directed at the west for failing to stop Bashar al-Assad from slaughtering Muslims in Syria – a sentiment that helped win recruits to Islamic State.

The point is, this is an ideology that can rage against western inaction as much as action. When I spoke to Shiraz Maher, a senior research fellow at King’s College London who studies radicalisation up close, he put the problem concisely: “You’re damned if you do, and damned if you don’t.”

Maher suggests that western foreign policy often plays the role of a hook on which jihadis can hang a much larger set of ideological, and theological, motives. In his latest essay for the New Statesman, he quotes one British Isis recruit he interviewed, who told him: “We primarily fight wars due to people being disbelievers. Their drones against us are a secondary issue.”

So it’s not clear what a foreign policy designed to soothe rather than inflame jihadi opinion would look like – or that it would get you very far. Staying out of Muslim countries might seem like the obvious answer, but it offers no guarantees. Not against those who can regard an eight-year-old girl and her friends as “crusaders”, worthy of death for the sin of dancing in a “shameless concert arena”.

Maybe it would be easier to bear if our fate was entirely in our hands, if a life of peace and calm beckoned if only we chose the right path. It would be a comfort, but a false one – for it would misunderstand the enemy we face.

And as I said to someone else yesterday, ok, so we change our foreign policy to whatever. What will then be the excuse should any further outrage occur?

Maybe, just maybe, it's a lot more complex than we would like to think and the solution is not as simple as a change in foreign policy to some yet unspecified way.

And I'm still waiting an answer from someone else who when I challenged them and said what exactly is it we should we change, seemed bereft of ideas other than that we should change it.

So, do we adopt a totally non-interventionist policy?

Do we only intervene when the UN has a majority for intervention?

Do we intervene if it's a Nato member that's attacked?

What if we are no longer a member of Nato which some on the Far left would like?

If we do adopt a non-Intervention policy, what does that mean for the armed forces as there's a simplistic financial attraction in huge cutbacks to them (and several well documented references to such plans over the years by the radical Left) in order to redirect funding elsewhere, but often this is without considering the impact on high tech industries and skills as well as balance of payments to the UK.

And if for example we cosy up to the Iranians (Shia), how will that effect our relations with Sunni countries?

Now I'm all for a formal re-examination of our Foreign policy,  it's clear in retrospect that mistakes have been made, and perhaps then lessons could be learned and new procedures adopted.

But I do believe that in our exasperation and anger at these outrages, we should be very careful of jumping to alarmingly simplistic solutions only to find ourselves later on down the road, helpless in the face of naked aggression from utter bastards who hate us no matter what we do and that want to bring us harm by any means at their disposal.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4021 on: May 27, 2017, 01:59:52 pm »
You do know that British intelligence forces under successive British Prime Ministers colluded with Loyalist paramilitaries, don't you?

Just to join the dots, that's not some politician who wants to be Prime Minister. That was some politicians who were Prime Minister.

That doesn't really help Corbyn though does it? Unless you're saying it was fine for the intelligence services to do that. It's just whataboutery.

The collusion between Unionist paramilitaries and the army have been investigated. Would you want a similar investigation of Corbyn's relationship with the IRA?

And personally I don't have a problem with Corbyn supporting the IRA and a united Ireland back then. It was entirely up to him. But he should have been honest about it and put it behind him. Instead it's going to keep coming back.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:05:10 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4022 on: May 27, 2017, 02:00:22 pm »
Fucking hell Andy, that's a cracking article. This bit could win an Olympic gymnastics medal:

Corbyn was responsible for an editorial that stated: ‘the British only sit up and take notice when they are bombed into it’.  And yet (as Nathan Akehurst has argued elsewhere) this sentence can only possibly be read as an endorsement of bombing when taken completely out of context. The article argues that given that the IRA were "determined never to lay down arms" until listened to, republican voices "must be heard". Consequently, its authors clearly endorse Sinn Fein’s ballot box strategy.

So saying that the Government would have to be bombed into taking notice is actually an endorsement of the ballot box strategy? 

He's not saying that they would have to be bombed into taking notice there, as I understand Alan, he's saying they shouldn't have to be bombed into taking notice.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4023 on: May 27, 2017, 02:03:23 pm »

It's worth a read to understand where I'm coming from with my request that it would be a good idea to think very carefully before making what superficially appears to be an attractive solution, but may well turn out to be a far too simplistic approach.

....One camp holds that the men who plant these bombs are driven by loathing for western values, for our freedom and permissive way of life, and especially for the liberty exercised by women. The other argues that the root cause is western foreign policy and our record of armed intervention in Muslim lands. Boiled down, it becomes a battle of who we are versus what we do.

I understand the draw of the latter position, which was staked out in a sober and carefully caveated speech by Jeremy Corbyn today. For one thing, foreign policy clearly plays some role in these horrific events. Listen to the testimony of Jomana Abedi, sister of the Manchester murderer, who said of her brother: “He saw the explosives America drops on children in Syria, and he wanted revenge,” before adding, rather chillingly: “Whether he got that is between him and God.” Recall the posthumous video released by Mohammad Sidique Khan, ringleader of the 7/7 bombers, in which he cast himself as an avenger for the 2003 invasion of Iraq. And recall too the warnings of Britain’s security services, who feared the Iraq war could lead to increased radicalisation.

Besides, such a stance has an appeal beyond the facts. It grants us a degree of control over these acts of catastrophe. It lets us think that we can bring an end to this horror, if only we change tack internationally. We can ensure there are no Manchester tragedies: it’s up to us.

The trouble is, the link is not nearly so simple or direct. Talk to those who devote their lives to the study of violent jihadism, reading Isis’s propaganda and interviewing its devotees, and a different picture emerges.

For one thing, it’s not all about us. Most of jihadism’s victims are other Muslims, in the Arab world or in Africa. When they murder and maim Shia Muslims by the hundreds, they’re not doing that to punish western foreign policy. When Isis set about the massacre of Yazidi men and the enslavement and mass rape of Yazidi women and girls, it wasn’t revenge for western meddling in the Middle East. It takes an oddly Eurocentric view of the world to decide that this is a phenomenon entirely of the west’s creation.

Moreover, what might count as western provocation, fuelling jihadism, is not as clear as some might like to think. Many on the left assume it is military intervention that turns young men into jihadis ready to murder pre-teen girls. But I recall my own first encounter with that ideology, back in the 1990s.

I was speaking at a student meeting that was disrupted by loud activists from the extremist al-Muhajiroun group. What were they furious about? The west’s failure to take military action over Bosnia. These young men were livid that Britain and the US had not dropped bombs to prevent the massacre at Srebrenica. It proved, they said, that the west held Muslim lives to be cheap.

We know that Salman Abedi was a child of Libyan Islamists, vehemently opposed to Muammar Gaddafi. Imagine his rage if the west had heard the dictator’s threats to carry out a massacre in Bengazi in 2011 and done nothing. It would be similar to the jihadi venom that’s directed at the west for failing to stop Bashar al-Assad from slaughtering Muslims in Syria – a sentiment that helped win recruits to Islamic State.

The point is, this is an ideology that can rage against western inaction as much as action. When I spoke to Shiraz Maher, a senior research fellow at King’s College London who studies radicalisation up close, he put the problem concisely: “You’re damned if you do, and damned if you don’t.”

Maher suggests that western foreign policy often plays the role of a hook on which jihadis can hang a much larger set of ideological, and theological, motives. In his latest essay for the New Statesman, he quotes one British Isis recruit he interviewed, who told him: “We primarily fight wars due to people being disbelievers. Their drones against us are a secondary issue.”

So it’s not clear what a foreign policy designed to soothe rather than inflame jihadi opinion would look like – or that it would get you very far. Staying out of Muslim countries might seem like the obvious answer, but it offers no guarantees. Not against those who can regard an eight-year-old girl and her friends as “crusaders”, worthy of death for the sin of dancing in a “shameless concert arena”.

Maybe it would be easier to bear if our fate was entirely in our hands, if a life of peace and calm beckoned if only we chose the right path. It would be a comfort, but a false one – for it would misunderstand the enemy we face.

And as I said to someone else yesterday, ok, so we change our foreign policy to whatever. What will then be the excuse should any further outrage occur?

Maybe, just maybe, it's a lot more complex than we would like to think and the solution is not as simple as a change in foreign policy to some yet unspecified way.

And I'm still waiting an answer from someone else who when I challenged them and said what exactly is it we should we change, seemed bereft of ideas other than that we should change it.

What if we are no longer a member of Nato which some on the Far left would like?

If we do adopt a non-Intervention policy, what does that mean for the armed forces as there's a simplistic financial attraction in huge cutbacks to them (and several well documented references to such plans over the years by the radical Left) in order to redirect funding elsewhere, but often this is without considering the impact on high tech industries and skills as well as balance of payments to the UK.

And if for example we cosy up to the Iranians (Shia), how will that effect our relations with Sunni countries?

Now I'm all for a formal re-examination of our Foreign policy,  it's clear in retrospect that mistakes have been made, and perhaps then lessons could be learned and new procedures adopted.

But I do believe that in our exasperation and anger at these outrages, we should be very careful of jumping to alarmingly simplistic solutions only to find ourselves later on down the road, helpless in the face of naked aggression from utter bastards who hate us no matter what we do and that want to bring us harm by any means at their disposal.

Good piece  that and I entirely agree that there is no Trumptastic simple answer to any of this. It would take years to make any progress.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4024 on: May 27, 2017, 02:04:42 pm »
That doesn't really help Corbyn though does it? Unless you're saying it was fine for the intelligence services to do that. It's just whataboutery.

And personally I don't have a problem with Corbyn supporting the IRA and a united Ireland back then. It was entirely up to him. But he should have been honest about it and put it behind him. Instead it's going to keep coming back.

Agree with the latter.

On the first bit, it was the poster I responded to that introduced the comparison. Personally I don't ever have a problem with whataboutery but there's no question it was relevant here.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4025 on: May 27, 2017, 02:08:32 pm »
No honor in murdering innocent children. I don't want to hear excuses for it with this West bollocks. It's just a cop out.

Who, exactly, is excusing it? 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4026 on: May 27, 2017, 02:09:56 pm »

Unless you can name me a politician looking to be Prime Minister who supported UVF terrorists then the point is just deflection from a man who did support the IRA who is looking to be Prime Minister.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4027 on: May 27, 2017, 02:10:44 pm »

Please read this.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4028 on: May 27, 2017, 02:12:23 pm »
Then you can move in to john mcdonnell who I don't think anyone can argue was an IRA supporter, as well as the Home Secretary under a Corbyn leadership being a total fuckwit who wanted the IRA to win and that also fucks him on this issue

Plenty of us in the U.K. wanted a United Ireland.  It doesn't mean we supported the IRA's actions.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4029 on: May 27, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »
Please read this.

The penultimate paragraph states that the author agrees with Corbyn.  That's exactly what he is suggesting.  It seems to me that people are attacking what they thought the speech would be rather than the actual content.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4030 on: May 27, 2017, 02:20:28 pm »
Unless you can name me a politician looking to be Prime Minister who supported UVF terrorists then the point is just deflection from a man who did support the IRA who is looking to be Prime Minister.

Ah right so if you say the right things (in your mind)  when you are running, you can do what you like when you get the gig?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4031 on: May 27, 2017, 02:21:15 pm »
He's not saying that they would have to be bombed into taking notice there, as I understand Alan, he's saying they shouldn't have to be bombed into taking notice.

I understand that's the angle the article is trying to put on it. I might be inclined to go with it if it wasn't for all the other evidence. It also avoids the simple fact that Sinn Fein and the IRA were interchangable. It was bombs and the ballot box.

In fact Diane Abbott had this to say this morning:

In an interview on the BBC last night, Mr Corbyn insisted he had "never met the IRA" and had done his best to help negotiate a peaceful solution to the conflict in Northern Ireland.

'ACTIVISTS IN SINN FEIN'

But this morning Ms Abbott appeared to contradict that assertion, telling LBC radio: "I think that his understanding is he met with them in their capacity as activists in Sinn Fein."
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4032 on: May 27, 2017, 02:23:15 pm »
The penultimate paragraph states that the author agrees with Corbyn.  That's exactly what he is suggesting.  It seems to me that people are attacking what they thought the speech would be rather than the actual content.

No - read the whole thing. Nick isn't just 'agreeing with Corbyn'.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #4033 on: May 27, 2017, 02:26:46 pm »
Quite a few polls out today, so hopefully we will have a clearer idea of how the race looks

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4034 on: May 27, 2017, 02:29:43 pm »
Can we all agree May is a hypocrite? She was supportive of state sanctioned terrorism so she and the Tories need to win their necks in.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4035 on: May 27, 2017, 02:31:51 pm »
Can we all agree May is a hypocrite? She was supportive of state sanctioned terrorism so she and the Tories need to win their necks in.

What do you mean?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #4036 on: May 27, 2017, 02:31:55 pm »
My own views on Corbyn's relationship with the IRA and assorted Islamists have been made perfectly clear in these threads over the last couple of years. I think it's a disgrace that a man who claims to be a pacifist yet has regularly supported the most brutal nationalists, fascists and other assorted scumbags is leader of the Labour Party. The fact of the matter is, Jeremy Corbyn and to a greater extent John McDonnell, are terrorist sympathisers.

I don't think pointing this out is working as an attack line, though. It isn't sticking.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4037 on: May 27, 2017, 02:38:56 pm »
I understand that's the angle the article is trying to put on it. I might be inclined to go with it if it wasn't for all the other evidence. It also avoids the simple fact that Sinn Fein and the IRA were interchangable. It was bombs and the ballot box.

In fact Diane Abbott had this to say this morning:

In an interview on the BBC last night, Mr Corbyn insisted he had "never met the IRA" and had done his best to help negotiate a peaceful solution to the conflict in Northern Ireland.

'ACTIVISTS IN SINN FEIN'

But this morning Ms Abbott appeared to contradict that assertion, telling LBC radio: "I think that his understanding is he met with them in their capacity as activists in Sinn Fein."

Yes but Corbyn's overall philosophy, at least as I understand it, is that those who wish to subvert democracy will be much more marginalised if the leaders elected through democratic means have benign motives. It is not just an anti-interventionist stance. Because the conversation has focused on Northern Ireland a lot lately, it should be noted that before the peaceful civil rights movement was met by violent opposition, supported by the establishment, the IRA in Belfast was extremely ineffective, with little or no military capacity. In fact this is very much the story of armed insurrection in Ireland. There has always been a small rump who believed violence was a justifiable means of removing British rule but it was only at times of specific oppression that these groups got any real traction. I think what Corbyn is saying is that if you treat people right in the first place, thiose with nefarious motives will be marginalised in their own communities. He is not saying that they wont exist at all.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4038 on: May 27, 2017, 02:43:45 pm »

The collusion between Unionist paramilitaries and the army have been investigated. Would you want a similar investigation of Corbyn's relationship with the IRA?

Considering that MI5 have a big folder about him yet he passed security vetting for the Privy Council I doubt there's much in it really.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4039 on: May 27, 2017, 02:55:22 pm »
What do you mean?
Voting in favour of bombing of Iraq and Syria knowing there'd be large civilian casualties.