Author Topic: Learning a new language.  (Read 26369 times)

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
Re: Learning a new language.
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2009, 09:42:24 pm »
My mum had the Michel Thomas Spanish CD, his accent was horrible :(

yeah he's deffo got dry mouth syndrome but the system is immense and I think the easiest way of learning a language that I've seen other than living in the country. If you can get past the voice that is :) 
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2009, 09:58:25 pm »
Portugal used to be part of the Kingdom of Galicia, so similarities between the two are obvious :)

Eu gosto de falar o portugues!

Yeah... We have a Galician/Gallego langauge tv channel at home actually and it's dead interesting seeing how that particular language brings together Spanish and Portuguese.

também gosto mas não há muito gente em inglaterra que fala a lingua do Camões!

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2009, 10:00:29 pm »
yeah he's deffo got dry mouth syndrome but the system is immense and I think the easiest way of learning a language that I've seen other than living in the country. If you can get past the voice that is :) 

Michel Thomas is great for learning basics like simple sentence structure and the few most commonly used verbs. Beyond that, his stuff is useless as the level of vocabulary used is far too limited and people end up chatting absolute bollocks because they think Michel has taught them to be world beaters. Quite often he seems to be pushing you to run before you can walk, which is not the right way to do it in my opinion.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2009, 10:02:49 pm »
portuguese is fairly easy to read for hispanophones but spoken it sounds like fucking russian to me, I can barely understand anything people say (don't  know if that's a regional thing as I'm only really exposed to the southern hillbillies round here).

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2009, 10:06:07 pm »
portuguese is fairly easy to read for hispanophones but spoken it sounds like fucking russian to me, I can barely understand anything people say (don't  know if that's a regional thing as I'm only really exposed to the southern hillbillies round here).

Yeah I know exactly where you're coming from. I read spanish fine but i might as well be watching channel 9 news on the fast show to me when I hear it.

Offline Don Simón

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2009, 10:06:23 pm »
Portuguese does sound like Russian - that's what makes speaking it so much harder than writing it, in my opinion.

"Official" Galician (aka, the kind that no one speaks except on tv) is kind of like a mix between Spanish and Portuguese but with a Spanish accent. Real Galician is Spanish with a few Portuguese words peppered in.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2009, 10:09:22 pm »
Yeah I know exactly where you're coming from. I read spanish fine but i might as well be watching channel 9 news on the fast show to me when I hear it.

Methethethetheth, methethetheth. Chris Waddle.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Learning another language
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2015, 09:48:06 pm »
How many of you can speak more than one language?

I'm looking into learning Spanish right now and I'm wondering if anyone on here has learnt another language apart from English, any tips?

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
Re: Learning another language
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2015, 09:51:20 pm »
No - but i'd love to learn Russian

Mental language

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2015, 09:53:36 pm »

I'm looking into learning Spanish right now and I'm wondering if anyone on here has learnt another language apart from English, any tips?

Michel Thomas for learning how to speak. Yabla for understanding the seamless torrent of babble that comes back at you.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2015, 09:57:38 pm »
No - but i'd love to learn Russian

Mental language

Haha Germany too,

Making progress with Spanish on Duolingo. Doing about 2 hours a day this week and I'm definitely improving however i sometimes get confused when I have to translate a sentence. Individual words are so easy though

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2015, 09:59:18 pm »
Can speak French. Not as fluent as i would like to be.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:42 pm »
Vietnamese - shite
Dutch - shite
International sign language - boss
Shouting - boss

Offline La Vecchia Magpie

• Terry de Niro's Geordie rival...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2015, 10:07:22 pm »
I'm learning Italian, started teaching myself for about a year which got me to the basics, and the basic grammar stuff, but I can't stress the importance of doing classes to practice your speaking and learn new stuff. Also be on the look out for language tandems, where you help a Spaniard with their English and vice versa. Advice:

Don't worry about getting everything 100% right, of course strive for perfection and fluency, but the point of languages is to communicate and be understood above all else.

Remember it takes time, so I'd ignore any "fluent in three weeks" crap you'll be bombarded with upon your researching. I'm only just starting to piece everything together that I've learned and I'm still very much a beginer

Pick up a couple of grammar books/audio cds

Listen to Spanish music with the corresponding lyrics in Spanish and English.

Learn how the verbs work. For example in Italian "come stai" is 'how are you', but knowing that "stai" is the second person singular conjugation of the verb 'Stare' helps you to make patterns about how to conjugate the verbs appropriately.

Youtube and Google are always your friends, there are some good podcasts for learning Italian so I'd imagine there'd be loads on Spanish.

E la cosa piu importante! Have fun doing it! I like learning Italian because I love Serie A, it can be something that simple.

Good luck.
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2015, 10:08:18 pm »

Download DuoLingo it is brilliant. Really easy to use and you don't feel like you're actually learning if you know what I mean!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:56 pm »
At school I was in the 'top band' for every subject, apart from French and I was in the 'remedial' class....I would love to speak French or Italian..but my brain doesn't do languages..having a Dutch Mrs who speaks excellent English and smattering of other European sort of exposes my linguistic limitations...and she never fails to pull up my mispronunciation of foreign words...Whilst English people Anglicise words the Dutch tend to incorporate the pronunciation of origin....hence my pronunciation of 'Paella' is a constant battle in our house.

My 9 year old lad can understand Dutch but not speak it , though out of the blue he's expressed an interest in speaking Dutch, which as he grows older will have no fucking benefit whatsoever unless he goes and lives in the Netherlands....or he and his mum talk about me in front of me....without the decency to do it behind my back in English!!!

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2015, 10:29:52 pm »
My 9 year old lad can understand Dutch but not speak it , though out of the blue he's expressed an interest in speaking Dutch, which as he grows older will have no fucking benefit whatsoever

That's a bit unfair. Dutch itself might not be very useful but it would be a good stepping stone to German and having any second language can help a lot in having the skills to get a third even if it's completely unrelated.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2015, 10:33:14 pm »
Speak Flemish (Dutch) fluently arrived in Belgium in 92 without much knowledge of the language and picked it up through work and family (father in law speaks no English)

Wife can speak Flemish (mother-tongue) English fluently,French and German but not fluent.

Son English,Flemish,Japanese all fluently,French,German to some extent and has taken Korean lessons.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2015, 10:39:09 pm »
I can only speak English, but I am currently using Duolingo and Memrise to learn Norwegian. I would love to be able to speak at least two languages other than English.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:48 pm »
I've always felt the sound of Dutch sits nicely between Welsh and Klingon. I can get the gist of things in some conversations, but cant converse, I suspect if had lived in Amsterdam I would have picked it up but not fluently, trouble is the Dutch will speak English too you even if you try to speak Dutch, in shop, bar etc

What I have realised is that if foreigners translate into English from their native tongue in their own grammatical structure ( is that they way to describe it?)  it can sound blunt and I think that's why Dutch and Germans can sound quite rude when speaking English without that intention.....plus they are blunt , whilst English , especially middle classes can be so vague, scared of saying what they mean, you have to read between the lines...the can be confusing to foreigners learning English.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2015, 10:54:10 pm »
Speak Flemish (Dutch) fluently arrived in Belgium in 92 without much knowledge of the language and picked it up through work and family (father in law speaks no English)

Wife can speak Flemish (mother-tongue) English fluently,French and German but not fluent.

Son English,Flemish,Japanese all fluently,French,German to some extent and has taken Korean lessons.

Wow Pheeny. Your son is impressive.

Download DuoLingo it is brilliant. Really easy to use and you don't feel like you're actually learning if you know what I mean!
Yes it's great Claire. I think I'm making great progress to be honest. I've been on it for around 4 days fully and I highly recommend for the basics at least.

Struggling a lot with verbs and stuff at the moment. It does take time though. I'm not going to give up with it though so it's just a matter of time I guess with me, I'm gonna learn Spanish even if it takes years ;D.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2015, 10:56:04 pm »
I can only speak English, but I am currently using Duolingo and Memrise to learn Norwegian. I would love to be able to speak at least two languages other than English.

Yup. I think Italian is quite similar to Spanish too so if I master Spanish I can probably go and learn Italian, the ripple effect. Just be really good and it obviously opens up more doors.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2015, 11:00:27 pm »
I remember when I first got in contact with other languages when I was younger; I felt it was awesome to be able to say a thing or two in an other language, and also, when you do the effort of saying something in an other language to a person from that place they greet you in a very different manner, they really appreciate it.

I've studied Finnish (I'm from a Swedish talking part of Finland), English, Spanish, Catalan and Portuguese, so I know them quite well. I also had to take a course in Latin, but I can't really remember much of it now, and I have to admit I'm forgetting some of my Finnish as I simply haven't used it in almost 7 years that I've been living in Spain. Danish and Norwegian are very similar to Swedish so I understand them quite well. I also shared a flat with some Italians so I know some Italian; before that one of the girls in the flat had a Turkish boyfriend so I picked up some Turkish, and I also know some phrases and some basic stuff in German (my sister's boyfriend is German), Dutch (know quite a few of them) and French (my other sister used to live there).

Obviously I don't know all of them as well as the first ones I mentioned, but I do feel like it's easier to learn more languages once you've learnt at least an other, as you can see similarities with other similar languages and that helps you to understand and learn faster. When I first came to Spain I knew very little, but nowadays people wouldn't notice that I'm not Spanish for my accent (my appearance does tell an other tale though haha). My biggest tip of learning an other language is to go to a place where they speak it. If you go there and they don't know e.g. English very well, you simply have to learn it. Being surrounded by it day and night helps a lot, there is no escape! ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:22:17 pm by MikaelLFC »

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2015, 12:14:26 am »
Swedish, English, German, a bit of Spanish, and some tourist French.  ;D

Best advice I could give.

1. Go and live in a foreign country.
2. Don't have any people you know there, or flatmates from your country.
3. Start to live.

You'll be fluent in 4-5 months time if you give it enough effort. That works on paper, I'm a lazy bastard whose Spanish should be much better. Another trick, since go and live somewhere is not so easy, is to watch a lot of TV or films from the foreign country. Throw a lot of shit on a wall and some of it will stick eventually.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2015, 12:17:19 am »
Yup. I think Italian is quite similar to Spanish too so if I master Spanish I can probably go and learn Italian, the ripple effect. Just be really good and it obviously opens up more doors.

Yeah, mate, they're very similar. A lot of it is changing the o's and a's to i's at the end of the words.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2015, 04:22:03 am »
I speak French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese fluently. There's honestly no disadvantage to learning a new language if you can put the effort in, only advantages. Better job prospects, more adaptability, greater open-mindedness to the world, more appreciative of other cultures, music, art, cuisine and of course the best of all, you can communicate with hot foreign girls ;).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:23:48 am by Seebab »
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2015, 04:42:23 am »
8, including dialects.

Having a native (or fluent) speaker to practice with is an important part of the learning process - they catch and correct the mistakes early before it becomes a habit. Some may explain why certain things are said in a way rather than the other 'correct' method, shedding light on the cultural nuances of which many languages are based on.

Furthermore, native speakers would be able to teach you 'practical' language - the type that you use in interaction with people rather than the formal kinds from newspapers, television et al which would normally be richer and more flavourful. Imagine using Standard Korean in Seoul while talking to people on a night out...
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2015, 07:35:58 am »
Wow Pheeny. Your son is impressive.

Thanks,his Girlfriend is ½ Chinese ½ Vietnamese, who was brought up in French speaking Belgium, so he's even started picking up some Vietnamese  ;) 

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2015, 07:39:25 am »
Italian; but then I lived there for 5 years.

All the classes in the world won't do as much as actually spending some time in the country.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2015, 08:15:36 am »
I'm doing the exact same thing at the minute willo mate using duo lingo and speak tribe.

Can practice together via pms and stuff if you like?

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2015, 08:18:43 am »
Although one thing I don't like about duolingo is that it doesn't come with any context. It just said mono can mean
monkey, leotard or cute, and asked me to translate el mono.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:27 am »
I'm doing the exact same thing at the minute willo mate using duo lingo and speak tribe.

Can practice together via pms and stuff if you like?

Yeah okay. same goes for anyone else trying to learn Spanish too. PM me ;D

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2015, 08:35:33 am »
A level French and a degree in Spanish but having spent loads of time in France and very little in Spain since, my French is better than my Spanish. I just started learning Italian ( i can understand loads because of Spanish but not speak it). I have Rosetta Stone but I'm not impressed with the method really. It's see and say which I don't think is really the best way.

Once you do have a level in a language, the best thing is to spend your holidays using it full-time. To do that, you need to 1) get away from tourist areas. I got fed up of speaking Spanish and being answered in English, and 2) go on your own. To get really good you need to THINK in the language. That's really hard if you're speaking English to the wife most of the time with just the odd interaction in the host language. A week speaking nothing but the second language bears real dividends. My French surpassed my Spanish when I spent 20 months living and working in La Rochelle. Meanwhile, holidays in Spanish tourist resorts have seen my Spanish almost disappear.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2015, 09:06:29 am »
I haven't seen anything so far that competes with Michel Thomas' method, without any need for 'memorisation' he has you constructing your own sentences within half an hour. It's not some cheapo novelty shite, he's very scientific about it. Sounds like a great old bloke actually - like some old eccentric professor, I believe he was a Nazi hunter - and it is actually him that does the teaching. Highly recommended.

However, as stated before try Yabla for helping you to decipher the unintelligible cascade of gobbledegook that comes back at you - it's one thing knowing what to say, quite another to understand what is said back to you.

I've tried them all, in my fruitless pursuit of learning the French language (much more difficult than Spanish in my opinion) and the above two systems combined seem to be the best route. I wish I'd started them years ago.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2015, 09:38:08 am »
The best thing to do is get yourself to wherever the language is spoken and be surrounded by it all day every day. If you can't do that, try to listen to stuff in the language as much as you can. You can get Spanish tv and radio programmes online. Pick out things that you normally like that will hold your interest. It'll sound like gibberish at first but stick with it, as your learning of the language progresses you'll start to understand more and get an idea of how to form sentences in spoken language. You're not trying to understand every word initially, just enough to get an idea of what they are talking about.

I have a degree in Spanish and German but unfortunately i don't use them for work or at home. My German has fallen a bit by the wayside but i try to keep my Spanish going by listening to radio a few times a week. El larguero is a football programme on cadena ser radio station. They put their shows out on podcasts and with it being football its a fairly easy listen.

Once you start to pick up grammatical structure try to read in the language. The newspaper websites like http://elpais.com/ are great and you can use it alongside English-speaking news sites to compare the same story in different languages. Again you're not trying to understand every word but making yourself familiar with words you're seeing over and over again will help grow your vocabulary.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2015, 10:03:12 am »
My Dutch is alright. It's not much use though.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2015, 12:25:42 pm »
My Dutch is alright. It's not much use though.
You can go to South Africa or Vlaanderen...

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2015, 12:32:15 pm »
One thing I wouldn't recommend is spending too much time on RAWK, if English isn't your first language. I've started swearing a lot when talking in English... ;) Other than that I speak German (my native language) and have learned Spanish and French in school. Haven't used any French though since finishing school 17 years ago, so I have no clue about it anymore. I can't really say a lot in Spanish except the usual stuff like where I'm from or how old I am. However, my aunt who lives in Ibiza was visiting us a year ago or so and she was talking to my sister (she studied Spanish at University) in Spanish and I was able to tell what they were talking about. No chance of joining the conversation though... I know one sentence by heart though and it's "Antonio Gaudí fue atropellado por un tranvía..."

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2015, 01:03:03 pm »
Bono Estente, Antonias Grubba.

Scorchio!

Butrous butrous gali

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan