Author Topic: RAWK Web Development Circle  (Read 118976 times)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
Re: RAWK Web Development Circle
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2010, 07:02:56 pm »
quick question, just want a few pointers.

I want to set up a page where a user is given a code. They log on to the site, input the code and it retrieves content associated with that code (lets keep it simple and assume it's text or a binary file like a PDF) and they then have to leave a comment on where they found the code and what they think of the random picture.

I'm guessing SQL but how would anyone on here tackle it?

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2010, 07:14:43 pm »
quick question, just want a few pointers.

I want to set up a page where a user is given a code. They log on to the site, input the code and it retrieves content associated with that code (lets keep it simple and assume it's text or a binary file like a PDF) and they then have to leave a comment on where they found the code and what they think of the random picture.

I'm guessing SQL but how would anyone on here tackle it?
Without using a database it'd be alot harder to manage what codes have been chosen, and storing the information of where the codes have been found.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2010, 07:29:06 pm »
Without using a database it'd be alot harder to manage what codes have been chosen, and storing the information of where the codes have been found.

You could do it without a database with a devious hashing function, but you'll want the database for the comments anyway...

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2010, 07:39:24 pm »
You could generate unique codes by, say, base64-encoding the image filename and send comments directly to an email address if you don't need them on the website. The codes would be long, though, if the filenames are.

You'll probably end up using a database for the comments (you might get away with SQLite, which is easier to set up than MySQL), but generating a reversible code from the image filename would save you the hassle of storing and managing codes.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2010, 08:13:53 pm »
these last few posts have blown my head off!!  ;D

Well ive been hammering away at HTML and CSS this afternoon, thats a start.

Thanks for all the input.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2010, 07:37:38 pm »
I often hear people slagging PHP off because of the way some people use it.

Would anyone on here be able to provide a 'good php' and 'bad php' example just for reference like

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:42 pm »
Been making some decent applications in C# using visual studio.

I think its time to start incorporating a database and maybe some web apps.

Can anyone recommend any good sites/books.

Thanks.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2010, 10:33:14 pm »
I often hear people slagging PHP off because of the way some people use it.

Would anyone on here be able to provide a 'good php' and 'bad php' example just for reference like

I'm not a PHP programmer (at heart, or by profession), so I can't point to particular examples of good and bad PHP, but I can tell you that it doesn't matter: good PHP is the same as good Python or good Ruby or good Perl.

There are always two levels of badness: design (i.e. architecture, structure, separation) and implementation (the tools/software, language and actual code). Every program has an overall structure and concept (hopefully) and an actual implementation. PHP encourages bad structure, and hinders good implementation.

Architecturally, a good PHP application will look like a good Python, Ruby or Java application. It doesn't matter: all good apps are based on some solid model/pattern like MVC, MVP, the actor model or whatever. At any rate, they have a robust, clean, logical, and extensible core concept.

It's similar to writing a CSS file: you try to find commonality between elements and abstract and combine that commonality.

That is the foundation of good development: finding the right model/structure for your application; and that is the principle PHP, by its fundamental nature, rapes. PHP is essentially a programming language embedded in HTML, which is arse-about-tit right off the bat. HTML is always subordinate to the code. It's a markup language, FFS. So PHP enables, nay encourages, you to get into some filthy habits from the word go. Including 'business logic' (i.e. application behaviour, not UI behaviour) in the UI code; directly calling SQL on the database; not validating user input; not organising your site from the start; copy-pasting-code; etc. In short, PHP makes things that are very difficult appear easy by hiding the problems, not solving them. Any Python, Ruby or especially Java programmer faced with the task of interfacing with the Web will immediately see the enormity of the situation; the PHP programmer is given no hint.

Of course, that won't discourage experienced developers, but the PHP language itself is shitty. Originally, it was a thrown-together bunch of scripts, and that still shows today. It was originally modelled after C (no namespaces) and suffers from badly- and inconsistently-named functions, and higher-level features feel tacked-on. Technologically, it's also shit: PHP is far slower than other interpreted languages.

So, at the implementation level it sucks beyond help compared to other languages. Still, it's worth learning, because it's ubiquitous.

Basically, PHP is the C of the Internet. It isn't, wasn't and never will be the best language, but it's just good enough that it will run anywhere, and any twat can use it. And so it is everywhere, and every twat is using it.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: April 27, 2010, 10:43:29 pm »
PHP does not encourage crap code. It just does not discourage it. There is a difference.

I like PHP, but only my own code in PHP. Everyone else's sucks.

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #249 on: April 27, 2010, 11:05:44 pm »
Why is Fireworks CS4 so shite? All I wanted was a simple GIF of a roller button changing thecolour of the text but noooooooo... it has to be some huge fucking effort and an hour of dicking round to just make two seperate static GIFs and using Dreamweavers roll over feature instead. Good of Adobe to change 'frames' to 'states' too, the shithouses. Took ages to figure that out. Would of used Sprites, but it's bloody text rigidly nailed to a baseline in a non-web friendly font.

At least CSS and DIVs haven't pissed me off yet, but there is that lovely IE6 public and third sector test to do yet. You 'codeies' truely are patient people. 
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: April 28, 2010, 10:09:02 am »
Can anyone reccomend a good site for exam dumps?  Oracle in particular?

Ta

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2010, 02:44:56 pm »
I'm not a PHP programmer (at heart, or by profession), so I can't point to particular examples of good and bad PHP, but I can tell you that it doesn't matter: good PHP is the same as good Python or good Ruby or good Perl.

There are always two levels of badness: design (i.e. architecture, structure, separation) and implementation (the tools/software, language and actual code). Every program has an overall structure and concept (hopefully) and an actual implementation. PHP encourages bad structure, and hinders good implementation.

Architecturally, a good PHP application will look like a good Python, Ruby or Java application. It doesn't matter: all good apps are based on some solid model/pattern like MVC, MVP, the actor model or whatever. At any rate, they have a robust, clean, logical, and extensible core concept.

It's similar to writing a CSS file: you try to find commonality between elements and abstract and combine that commonality.

That is the foundation of good development: finding the right model/structure for your application; and that is the principle PHP, by its fundamental nature, rapes. PHP is essentially a programming language embedded in HTML, which is arse-about-tit right off the bat. HTML is always subordinate to the code. It's a markup language, FFS. So PHP enables, nay encourages, you to get into some filthy habits from the word go. Including 'business logic' (i.e. application behaviour, not UI behaviour) in the UI code; directly calling SQL on the database; not validating user input; not organising your site from the start; copy-pasting-code; etc. In short, PHP makes things that are very difficult appear easy by hiding the problems, not solving them. Any Python, Ruby or especially Java programmer faced with the task of interfacing with the Web will immediately see the enormity of the situation; the PHP programmer is given no hint.

Of course, that won't discourage experienced developers, but the PHP language itself is shitty. Originally, it was a thrown-together bunch of scripts, and that still shows today. It was originally modelled after C (no namespaces) and suffers from badly- and inconsistently-named functions, and higher-level features feel tacked-on. Technologically, it's also shit: PHP is far slower than other interpreted languages.

So, at the implementation level it sucks beyond help compared to other languages. Still, it's worth learning, because it's ubiquitous.

Basically, PHP is the C of the Internet. It isn't, wasn't and never will be the best language, but it's just good enough that it will run anywhere, and any twat can use it. And so it is everywhere, and every twat is using it.

Cheers. ;D

Why is Fireworks CS4 so shite? All I wanted was a simple GIF of a roller button changing thecolour of the text but noooooooo... it has to be some huge fucking effort and an hour of dicking round to just make two seperate static GIFs and using Dreamweavers roll over feature instead. Good of Adobe to change 'frames' to 'states' too, the shithouses. Took ages to figure that out. Would of used Sprites, but it's bloody text rigidly nailed to a baseline in a non-web friendly font.

At least CSS and DIVs haven't pissed me off yet, but there is that lovely IE6 public and third sector test to do yet. You 'codeies' truely are patient people. 

Could I suggest a mixture of sprites, PNGs and JQuery?

Using animated sprites as bg images
Carving your static text from PNGs and putting them in as images
Finally use something like this JQuery Plugin to fix IE6 PNG transparency Issues?

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2010, 07:06:53 pm »
Cheers. ;D

Could I suggest a mixture of sprites, PNGs and JQuery?

Using animated sprites as bg images
Carving your static text from PNGs and putting them in as images
Finally use something like this JQuery Plugin to fix IE6 PNG transparency Issues?

Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm cutting up PSDs and the images (sections of text) are going on white backgrounds so it's working out alright.. in fact, so alright, it concerns me.

The IE6 ref, was whether my wonderfully neat and acute DIV structure would hold up under the retarded browser monster that is IE6. Ah well, i'll worry about that when it's all done... ;)

Todays 'irk' was getting DIVs to have a height that only related to the content, so I could stack the DIVs in a blog style stack - this meaning each DIV would be a different in heigh, depending on images / text etc.

Over an hour of trial-and-error (you have to appreciate this is all new to me again) and eventually the penny drops! A bit of padding and what about the DIV height... only fucking 'auto'.

Nurrrhhhhhh.

What a tit.
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2010, 07:42:17 pm »
Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm cutting up PSDs and the images (sections of text) are going on white backgrounds so it's working out alright.. in fact, so alright, it concerns me.

The IE6 ref, was whether my wonderfully neat and acute DIV structure would hold up under the retarded browser monster that is IE6. Ah well, i'll worry about that when it's all done... ;)

Todays 'irk' was getting DIVs to have a height that only related to the content, so I could stack the DIVs in a blog style stack - this meaning each DIV would be a different in heigh, depending on images / text etc.

Over an hour of trial-and-error (you have to appreciate this is all new to me again) and eventually the penny drops! A bit of padding and what about the DIV height... only fucking 'auto'.

Nurrrhhhhhh.

What a tit.

I know what you mean about IE6, I usually find the best way to work with it is to test, test, test from the start otherwise you could up with serious issues at the end, but again thats entirely up to you.

One tip about the auto height attribute is that it can fuck up when you have floated items inside it.

If you have any CSS questions drop me a line I'll see what I can do to help :wave

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #254 on: April 30, 2010, 12:36:24 pm »
Right I've got a question for you web'eads…

In the world of design for print, we use a programme called InDesign, where once you've completed your designs, you can 'package' the file - which creates a new folder, that contains the fonts used, the images (which are always linked - think scr img…) etc and only the relevant required files, no previous versions, images used etc, etc.

In Dreamweaver, is there a smiler feature? Can the site be 'packaged' so that only the HTML and stylesheets and any links (and their parent folders) be collected into a fresh folder, but retaining the original folder structure, just minus the shite that's not required?

That way, a fresh structure could simply be uploaded to the server?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 3, 2010, 12:13:37 pm »
What other crap have you got in there?

Generally, I keep the source images and docs out of the actual site tree, but I don't use Dreamweaver.

Can't you just use DW's built in project manager to upload the site?

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 4, 2010, 11:48:37 am »
Right I've got a question for you web'eads…

In the world of design for print, we use a programme called InDesign, where once you've completed your designs, you can 'package' the file - which creates a new folder, that contains the fonts used, the images (which are always linked - think scr img…) etc and only the relevant required files, no previous versions, images used etc, etc.

In Dreamweaver, is there a smiler feature? Can the site be 'packaged' so that only the HTML and stylesheets and any links (and their parent folders) be collected into a fresh folder, but retaining the original folder structure, just minus the shite that's not required?

That way, a fresh structure could simply be uploaded to the server?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Nah there is not like that

Though there is cloaking, which can be used to either skip certain file extensions (.exe, .psd, .ai etc)this can be found in the DW site defintions for your site and can be customised to miss out what file extensions you want to.

I prefer to create a resources folder in my file structure, which contains all of the 'bricks and mortar' files such as .ai, .psd and .eps files. I then right click on this folder, scroll to cloaking in the context menu and choose 'Cloak', this stops the entire folder from being uploaded so only the site relevant stuff is uploaded.

But again this requires you to use DW as your FTP.

If you have scrap HTML, css and other web files then you will have to purge these manually I'm afraid.

Print designers, got it too easy I tells ya!

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: May 4, 2010, 01:20:31 pm »
Code: [Select]
Project X/
    Sources and Resources/
        mockup.psd
        whizzbang.fla
        Client's retarded ideas.doc
        etc.
        etc.
    site/
        index.html
        images/
        etc.
        etc.

Why not just do it like that? It's silly mixing other stuff in with the actual contents of the site, because then you always have to double-check you haven't missed anything. The contents of site go on the server, everything else stays on the HD.

Out of interest, what do you designers do regarding version control?

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 4, 2010, 01:42:51 pm »
Project X/
    Sources and Resources/
        mockup.psd
        whizzbang.fla
        Client's retarded ideas.doc
        etc.
        etc.
    site/
        index.html
        images/
        etc.
        etc.

Why not just do it like that? It's silly mixing other stuff in with the actual contents of the site, because then you always have to double-check you haven't missed anything. The contents of site go on the server, everything else stays on the HD.

Out of interest, what do you designers do regarding version control?

My basic template structure looks something like this;

site/
     css
     images/
     js
     resources (cloaked)/
             ai
             client brief
             fla
             supplied photography
             pdf
             proposals
             psd
             stock images
             txt
     swf

It's very fucking anal but it keeps me in check and makes it easier for anyone who might come along after me to find exactly what they're after.

As for version control, I do nothing as I am the sole web guy, I want to start learning though as I know for bigger companies with team environments it's a must.

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #259 on: May 4, 2010, 02:01:59 pm »
It's very fucking briliant but it keeps me in check and makes it easier for anyone who might come along after me to find exactly what they're after.

My folder structure is a bit 'organic' as this is the first time I've done this.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: May 4, 2010, 02:03:55 pm »
My basic template structure looks something like this;

site/
     css
     images/
     js
     resources (cloaked)/
             ai
             client brief
             fla
             supplied photography
             pdf
             proposals
             psd
             stock images
             txt
     swf

It's very fucking anal but it keeps me in check and makes it easier for anyone who might come along after me to find exactly what they're after.

As for version control, I do nothing as I am the sole web guy, I want to start learning though as I know for bigger companies with team environments it's a must.

Nothing anal about it: just common sense, but the programmer in me doesn't really like that. Things used to make the thing you're making should be kept separate.

I work alone, but I always use version control. I've actually no idea how to use it with other people (locking files, merging and what-not), but it's invaluable to allow you to try out different ideas knowing you can just roll back all the changes to where everything was working with a click. It's like universal, unlimited undo. You don't have to remember the dozen things you changed in five different documents, just "revert" to the previous version.

Imagine you've been working away at your HTML/CSS for an hour or so, and it's going swimmingly in Firefox, but then you pull up IE and it's all gone to shit. If you'd been snapshotting the code every five minutes, it'd be trivial to go back through the previous versions and pinpoint when/where you introduced the bug, rather than trying to remember the twenty-odd things you'd tweaked.

Best of all are systems like git, which make branching really easy. Any time you want to try a few different things, you just save a version and then create a branch for each option. Try it this way, try it that, see what works, what doesn't, and you never have to worry about fucking everything up.

I think version control is a must for anyone creating anything in a vaguely exploratory way.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: May 4, 2010, 02:11:55 pm »
Nothing anal about it: just common sense, but the programmer in me doesn't really like that. Things used to make the thing you're making should be kept separate.

I work alone, but I always use version control. I've actually no idea how to use it with other people (locking files, merging and what-not), but it's invaluable to allow you to try out different ideas knowing you can just roll back all the changes to where everything was working with a click. It's like universal, unlimited undo. You don't have to remember the dozen things you changed in five different documents, just "revert" to the previous version.

Imagine you've been working away at your HTML/CSS for an hour or so, and it's going swimmingly in Firefox, but then you pull up IE and it's all gone to shit. If you'd been snapshotting the code every five minutes, it'd be trivial to go back through the previous versions and pinpoint when/where you introduced the bug, rather than trying to remember the twenty-odd things you'd tweaked.

Best of all are systems like git, which make branching really easy. Any time you want to try a few different things, you just save a version and then create a branch for each option. Try it this way, try it that, see what works, what doesn't, and you never have to worry about fucking everything up.

I think version control is a must for anyone creating anything in a vaguely exploratory way.

I've felt the pain of IE fucking my work up. I know there are version control plug-ins for DW but never got around to them to be honest.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: May 5, 2010, 10:44:39 pm »
I've felt the pain of IE fucking my work up. I know there are version control plug-ins for DW but never got around to them to be honest.

Seriously, live the dream, dude. Version control allows you to be fearless without worrying about cleaning up the mess.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: May 5, 2010, 11:16:27 pm »
Seriously, live the dream, dude. Version control allows you to be fearless without worrying about cleaning up the mess.

I'm not really clued up on version control to be honest, what is it? How do you set it up? Do you need a specialised server? Is it open source or charged?

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: May 6, 2010, 04:16:01 pm »
I'm not really clued up on version control to be honest, what is it? How do you set it up? Do you need a specialised server? Is it open source or charged?

There are all sorts, and they work in different ways. My current preference is git, but I've not found a good GUI for it yet. git is a "distributed" version control system, which means you don't need a server. There's a tutorial here:
http://www.spheredev.org/wiki/Git_for_the_lazy

Basically with git, you just tell it to treat a certain directory as a repository and can then add the contents of that directory to the repository (or ignore them). git will then notice whenever you change any of the files it's watching (the ones in the repo) or create new files within the repo directory.

At any time, git will show you a list of what has changed or been added, and you can choose to save any or all changed files back into the repository as a new version. Typically, you commit a new version every time you complete something significant, when everything is in a working state, or before you start experimenting.

It can do a shitload more than that, but that's the feature I couldn't do without.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: May 6, 2010, 04:26:25 pm »
I use SVN, but then I use a local server to host it. Visual Source Safe is the spawn of the devil and ruined my day more times than I care to remembrt.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 6, 2010, 06:43:05 pm »
There are all sorts, and they work in different ways. My current preference is git, but I've not found a good GUI for it yet. git is a "distributed" version control system, which means you don't need a server. There's a tutorial here:
http://www.spheredev.org/wiki/Git_for_the_lazy

Basically with git, you just tell it to treat a certain directory as a repository and can then add the contents of that directory to the repository (or ignore them). git will then notice whenever you change any of the files it's watching (the ones in the repo) or create new files within the repo directory.

At any time, git will show you a list of what has changed or been added, and you can choose to save any or all changed files back into the repository as a new version. Typically, you commit a new version every time you complete something significant, when everything is in a working state, or before you start experimenting.

It can do a shitload more than that, but that's the feature I couldn't do without.

Cheers I'll look in it.

I use SVN, but then I use a local server to host it. Visual Source Safe is the spawn of the devil and ruined my day more times than I care to remembrt.

Is that Sub Version? Do you need a server for that?

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #267 on: May 6, 2010, 09:12:29 pm »
You can run Subversion (svn), Git or Mercurial locally on a Windows PC. Download TortoiseSVN/TortoiseGit or TortoiseHg for a Windows front end to the version control system.

To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: May 6, 2010, 10:06:01 pm »
Is that Sub Version? Do you need a server for that?

Yes it is subversion. I have a server so I have no knowledge of using it without...

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: May 8, 2010, 08:38:00 am »
Yes it is subversion. I have a server so I have no knowledge of using it without...

You can use subversion without a server, by setting up a local directory and using file:// instead of https://.

If you're thinking about getting started with version control, it'd make more sense to go with something modern like Mercurial or Git. They are very superior to SVN.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: May 8, 2010, 11:54:25 am »
You can use subversion without a server, by setting up a local directory and using file:// instead of https://.

If you're thinking about getting started with version control, it'd make more sense to go with something modern like Mercurial or Git. They are very superior to SVN.

Hi Wacko, I'm just thinking about integration with DW, I know a lot on here don't like DW but I'm used to it's interface now(even though I hand code) and I also work between MAC and PC at work so something like visual studio is out.

Looking into a few of those things I see they use command lines, is this correct? Even though I know a bit about computers command lines still fuck my head, are there UIs out there for these programs?

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 8, 2010, 12:24:03 pm »
Hi Wacko, I'm just thinking about integration with DW, I know a lot on here don't like DW but I'm used to it's interface now(even though I hand code) and I also work between MAC and PC at work so something like visual studio is out.

Looking into a few of those things I see they use command lines, is this correct? Even though I know a bit about computers command lines still fuck my head, are there UIs out there for these programs?

There are GUIs for all of them, but I'm afraid I've no idea what's available for Windows.

I haven't found a Git GUI I'm particularly fond of yet.

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #272 on: May 8, 2010, 12:57:12 pm »
TortoiseSVN - http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
TortoiseGit - http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/
TortoiseHg - http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/

To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: May 8, 2010, 05:20:25 pm »

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 8, 2010, 11:51:56 pm »
Wassat?
Online version of sourcecontrol, if you use VS it's great, plugs in with mercurial/tortoise.
I'd use it if I didn't use SourceSafe.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2010, 06:11:58 pm »
i hate version controlling and i hate caching. but most of all, i hate IE.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2010, 03:47:12 am »
just getting back into web stuff, havent done it since college, so ill keep a close eye in here :D

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2010, 12:04:55 am »
Thought I'd resurrect this.
Firstly because of this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fja-TCLWpUc?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Fja-TCLWpUc?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Secondly to ask, although it's not web development anybody ever made an iPhone or Android app?  There's gold in them thar hills.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:31 pm »
If any of the web designers on here are interested, I have IE6 - IE8 all in their own .exe file, no installation required.