Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1422136 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3600 on: January 30, 2019, 10:35:18 am »
:D

The wait between games is unbearable! And you look at the bigger picture and think we should be able to get a points total that would win it, but then each game comes around and for their own reasons can all be problematic.

Wish there was a way we could speed through this, fast forward to the start of May and see what the table looks like!

The wait for this evening is unbearable! The missus is at work and I've got the kids. Should really take them to the park or something but it's bitterly cold.  You know what though Nick, I'm absolutely bricking it for tonight and flitter between really hopeful that we can do it and then absolutely shitting it at how it would feel if we didn't manage to convert from here after some of the other near misses but you know what, I just appreciate being in this position. Title challenges are mentally draining things but there's also a lot of fun and excitement with them. Investing yourself fully in games like Chelsea vs City and Newcastle vs City, just like I did when the Mancs stuck in goals against Villa, or Sunderland got points off City and Chelsea. Beats finishing fourth and matters so much more.

Before Klopp came in I wasn't sure if we would be in this position again for quite some time and I don't think even Klopp thought we would be in this position at the start of the season. This is crazy.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3601 on: January 30, 2019, 10:35:24 am »
Ok mate well you may perhaps gauge from the thread title that this thread is for talking about the the title and the pack chasing us. For focusing on just the next game, I recommend the thread for the next game.

Fucking hell these posts are tedious.

Think the point is that "next game" or "one game at a time" mentality is the methodology that Klopp and the players have adopted in their chase for the title and helping to ignore or block out the pressure and stress from the pack chasing us.

Not to say that every fan has to adopt it too - people are free to do as they please, obviously. I know it's helping me to remain calm though, and hopefully it, along with our recent track record, helps to keep the anfield crowd calm, focussed and supportive, especially during those moments when it's still nil nil or level and we maybe miss a chance or mis-place a pass. Moments in the past when players have been greeted with a crescendo of "FOR FUCK SAKE" or exasperated sighs, neither of which can be helpful in any particular way.

Point is - talking about taking it one game at a time, and realising the title isn't over if we beat leicester tonight, and that it's not February yet - is part of talking about the title and pack chasing us.

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #3602 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:38 am »
The only thing that pisses me off (but only a little bit) about this challenge is that *IF* we do the unthinkable, it will immediately be written off by both the press and opposition fans as "Congratulations, you're as successful as Leicester." (Some fans are already saying it in preparation).

Let them say what the fuck they like. *IF* we do win the league there's nothing anybody could do or say that would spoil the euphoria. An added bonus would be the thought of what it would do to the Mancs and the Manc loving Bitters. They would be as devastated as we would be ecstatic (and then some)  COYMR
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3603 on: January 30, 2019, 10:38:24 am »
Last nights result felt massive. Tonight’s game feels massive.

To be 7 points clear would be a physiological boost.

But there’s still 14 games left. That’s still a lot of games. More than a 3rd of a season. If we were potentially 7 points behind with 14 games to go we’d still think we had a chance. No reason why City won’t feel the same if we win tonight

If City were 7 points clear with 14 games to go having lost only one game all season, I don't think many people would be giving us a chance. Particularily all the pessimistic f****** is in here.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3604 on: January 30, 2019, 10:39:50 am »
Think the point is that "next game" or "one game at a time" mentality is the methodology that Klopp and the players have adopted in their chase for the title and helping to ignore or block out the pressure and stress from the pack chasing us.

Not to say that every fan has to adopt it too - people are free to do as they please, obviously. I know it's helping me to remain calm though, and hopefully it, along with our recent track record, helps to keep the anfield crowd calm, focussed and supportive, especially during those moments when it's still nil nil or level and we maybe miss a chance or mis-place a pass. Moments in the past when players have been greeted with a crescendo of "FOR FUCK SAKE" or exasperated sighs, neither of which can be helpful in any particular way.

Point is - talking about taking it one game at a time, and realising the title isn't over if we beat leicester tonight, and that it's not February yet - is part of talking about the title and pack chasing us.

I don't think the Kop or the crowd will be calm tonight, under the lights at Anfield with the chance to go 7 points clear and nor should they be. I think they'll back the team as you say though, but the noise will be ratcheted up a bit, I bet.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #3605 on: January 30, 2019, 10:41:57 am »
If City were 7 points clear with 14 games to go having lost only one game all season, I don't think many people would be giving us a chance. Particularily all the pessimistic f****** is in here.

Experience from 2008/09 and 2013/14 probably.

But yes. Thats RAWK. And one of my signature quotes exemplifies just that.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3606 on: January 30, 2019, 10:42:27 am »
14 games to go is still a long stretch. Does t feel like our form will drop off a Cliff but you never know for sure.

Once the games left get into single digits, and hopefully the gap is healthy, that’s when you start to think/hope/believe City might start running out of road to catch us.

Got to make sure we get to that point in decent shape though.

And Hij, agree with every word!

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3607 on: January 30, 2019, 10:44:51 am »
I don't think the Kop or the crowd will be calm tonight, under the lights at Anfield with the chance to go 7 points clear and nor should they be. I think they'll back the team as you say though, but the noise will be ratcheted up a bit, I bet.

I mean calm in moments when things don't necessarily go well. I agree they shouldn't be sat there all chilled and politely clapping the lads on :)

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3608 on: January 30, 2019, 10:47:45 am »

No-one is being pessimistic.

The mantra from the club and Klopp is 'one game at a time'. I think we'd be best to adopt that as a fanbase too.

Come match day we should all be excited and those of going the games should be shouting and cheering our boys home. But that's very different then getting ahead of ourselves.

The 'one game at a time mantra' is what Klopp is preaching now. It's what our managers and players in the past preached. With over a 3rd of the season to go, I, and I suspect, others probably want the fanbase to adopt that same attitude. You shouldn't view that as pessimism though.

The other thing I rally against is the 'bantz' culture of the modern football fan. I'm not accusing anyone in here of that. But there is this culture of people wanting to antagonise rival supporters at any opportunity. A saw a bit of that on social media last night. Liverpool fans goading City fans about the league being over.

It's against that backdrop that I've been riled by some of the things in here. It goes against what Klopp is preaching and what we did when we were the best club in the land and racking up league titles at will.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3609 on: January 30, 2019, 10:51:12 am »
No. United put them out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round. We beat them in the semis of the league cup and they went out at the group stage of the Champions League.

That puts paid to the notion that because they clawed back 8 points from United and can do so again this season. Them competing on all 4 fronts places a huge burden mentally and physically on them. Added to that is the realisation that this Liverpool team is not going to relent and Pep’s aversion to rotation. Have said it before, they will not catch us and we will be Champions this season- I have no doubts about it.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3610 on: January 30, 2019, 10:52:42 am »

The mantra from the club and Klopp is 'one game at a time'. I think we'd be best to adopt that as a fanbase too.

Come match day we should all be excited and those of going the games should be shouting and cheering our boys home. But that's very different then getting ahead of ourselves.

The 'one game at a time mantra' is what Klopp is preaching now. It's what our managers and players in the past preached. With over a 3rd of the season to go, I, and I suspect, others probably want the fanbase to adopt that same attitude. You shouldn't view that as pessimism though.

The other thing I rally against is the 'bantz' culture of the modern football fan. I'm not accusing anyone in here of that. But there is this culture of people wanting to antagonise rival supporters at any opportunity. A saw a bit of that on social media last night. Liverpool fans goading City fans about the league being over.

It's against that backdrop that I've been riled by some of the things in here. It goes against what Klopp is preaching and what we did when we were the best club in the land and racking up league titles at will.

Social media is a cesspit at the best of times, I certainly won’t be goading anybody until as and when we win the league, then let the c*nts have it as they so often did to us over the years.

Each to their own, I think we can enjoy the ride whilst allowing ourselves to look beyond just the next game.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3611 on: January 30, 2019, 10:52:51 am »

Had forums and social media been around in the 80s I’m sure there would have been many very confident posters back then! Didn’t we sing Were gonna win the Football League again in about September? :D

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3612 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:27 am »
Rafa's name is getting sung tonight and it's going to be fucking great. Up the reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3613 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:50 am »

That's a completely unrealistic expectation of fans that live and breathe the club though. Whether I focus on Leicester, or the next group of three, or the next group of five, compare fixture lists, or try and plot a possible points total that might 'be enough', it really has no material difference to what goes on at Melwood and ultimately on the pitch tonight. It may do for the players, so I can understand why Klopp preaches it and why it's important to invest all energy into the build up for the one particular game, but away from the training ground, I imagine even he is looking ahead of Leicester. He literally said a few weeks ago he thought it would take 105 points to win it and even if a bit tongue in cheek, it was clearly said with an understanding of the rough maximum points totals from then on and if that's not looking forward a few games, I don't know what is!

The modern football fan is the modern football fan. For what its worth, I celebrated the City result anyway, they've been goading us all season with their shit song about Kiev, 'Fuck the Scousers, we're coming for you', although the Raheem Sterling top of the league one has gone a bit quiet.

Offline Two-Headed Sex Beast

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3614 on: January 30, 2019, 11:02:01 am »
I've just got one thing to say. It's Liverpool Football Club. We absolutely will not do this the easy way, if we win the thing.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3615 on: January 30, 2019, 11:04:10 am »
Had forums and social media been around in the 80s I’m sure there would have been many very confident posters back then! Didn’t we sing Were gonna win the Football League again in about September? :D
I've got a mate whose seen us win the league several times and he's talking about possible winning points totals in our whats app group ;D

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #3616 on: January 30, 2019, 11:05:34 am »
People saying yesterdays result means nothing unless we win tonight are wrong. It means that no matter what happens tonight we have one game less to play where we proceed with a minimum of a 4 point lead. No matter what happens.

Win, lose, or draw, that result last night was massive for us. Going into this game knowing it's a no lose situation should steady and nerves and allow us to play with a bit less pressure. Its a bit of a freebie for us considering we all thought we'd only have a point lead and pretty much having to win (although I did think Newcastle would get something)

That's how I see it, and I can't understand the mindset that dropping points tonight renders City's defeat meaningless. A rival dropping points always matters, regardless of results elsewhere. I'd always rather be 4 points ahead than 1 point ahead, and as you say - last nights result also alleviates a bit of pressure.

What's also interesting about this thread is not only the amount of caution (understandable given previous near misses), but also how many people keep pointing to City's capacity for long winning streaks, when the 4 games they've lost so far have come in only their last 9 matches, and they have massive fixture congestion coming up and key players coming back from injury or out of form.

The media narrative for City before last night was 8 straight wins in all competitions, 32 goals scored and only 2 conceded, but this overlooked the fact that 17 of those goals were against Burton Albion and Rotherham, and their only 'difficult' games were us and Wolves. For me, there's no doubt they're rattled and Guardiola looks pretty frazzled and defensive with the media compared to the calm and discipline of Klopp and our players. Competing in 4 competitions always takes its toll, and this is the part of the season when the pressure ramps up to a whole new level.

I agree we should take it one game at a time and there's a long way to go, but there's no doubt the momentum is with us - we've won 11 of our last 12 league games, with injuries and a makeshift back line and a changeable midfield that hasn't always hit top level. Of course its not over yet, but bloody hell - what a ride.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3617 on: January 30, 2019, 11:08:24 am »
I was not watching the Newcastle game last night but had a look at BBC Sports and saw City were 1-0 after a min. Ahh well did not expect any surprises so when I checked again around HT and it was still 1-0 my ears pricked up as I said to myself hold on now. I promised myself not to think much about City but once I saw Newcastle were 1-1 I flicked on the match and tried to remain calm still thinking City would wake up. Then Rafa pulled a miracle out of the hat and I was just as nervous as feck for the last 10 - 15 mins. Get in lads!!!!

Nice to know we still have a nice gap and will be interesting to see our own reaction tonight. Long way to go but I love to see a follow up jab with 3 points as City look a little shaky so why not keep them on the ropes a wee bit. Still only round 9 of a guaranteed 15 so cant be counting chickens yet.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Suedehead

• Smooth operator.......
  • Main Stander
  • Respectful MUFC fan // Long-time lurker
« Reply #3618 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:44 am »
City haven't got the stomach for it.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3619 on: January 30, 2019, 11:12:16 am »
That's a completely unrealistic expectation of fans that live and breathe the club though. Whether I focus on Leicester, or the next group of three, or the next group of five, compare fixture lists, or try and plot a possible points total that might 'be enough', it really has no material difference to what goes on at Melwood and ultimately on the pitch tonight. It may do for the players, so I can understand why Klopp preaches it and why it's important to invest all energy into the build up for the one particular game, but away from the training ground, I imagine even he is looking ahead of Leicester. He literally said a few weeks ago he thought it would take 105 points to win it and even if a bit tongue in cheek, it was clearly said with an understanding of the rough maximum points totals from then on and if that's not looking forward a few games, I don't know what is!

I agree with this. It's human nature to look ahead and think what might be. But what you said is different to this for example....

Such a significant result last night.

You can now look at City's remaining fixtures and see a potential for dropping points just about anywhere, except for the very obvious ones, like Bournemouth, Cardiff, Arsenal and Everton ( ;D )  Us on the other hand have only really been countered by City, and we've proven adept this season at grinding out results - stuff of champions they say.

The fat lady ain't singing, but to quote Vegeta, "I'd say she just hummed a few bars".

I don't think the league title is anywhere near done. I just don't think you can say that with 14/15 games to go. The above is an example of people getting way too far ahead of themselves. This isn't thinking about a set of games. It's pretty much saying the title is nearly done and dusted. It's not and it's here that the 'one game at a time' mantra would quell the need for some people to jump to unnecessarily conclusions about the league title race. This is not about pessimism or dampening people's excitement. It's about calm heads and getting excited at the right moments.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: January 30, 2019, 11:12:19 am »
I was very hopeful of an upset and even though Newcastle couldn't possibly start worse, ManCity's fatigue really began to tell. It was their 19th game in 60 days, they will have three more games to play against much better opposition within 11 days. I think the biggest concern for them must be Fernandinho. Had a proper shocker for Newcastle's second goal and looks legged. He is so important to them and there is nobody who can take up his role for the three upcoming games where they will face rapid counterattacks that need to be broken up early. If he starts all three upcoming games, I really think he is bound to get some sort of injury. If he doesn't, I can't see them keeping clean sheets, let alone not conceding more than twice.

They are very much in the same situation as we were in September, with games coming thick and fast against quality opposition. Our finish to that run was 2 draws (vs Chelsea, vs ManCity) and 2 losses (vs Chelsea, vs Napoli). We looked nothing like the energetic team that put ManCity to the sword in the CL and looked simply uncharacteristically bad away to Napoli. I'm expecting the same from ManCity and if we do keep winning, we have a real chance of pulling away.

I agree with your assessment about Fernandinho being their biggest concern, a City fan on the Talkshite Moan-In was lamenting about the manger running the legs off him. I don't necessarily think it will be an injury but I think the ref's are onto him now about all the clatterings he's been handing out and he's now started to get booked for them. If he picks up a booking early in a game it could effect his performance in terms of his commitment to a tackle or if he were to the receive a hospital ball as in the case of Milner he could go for a second late tackle. His tiredness definitely contributed to Newcastle's second goal and it was great tactics from them to press City in those areas. 
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3621 on: January 30, 2019, 11:12:31 am »
I'll be honest - I really think 90 points will do it now. I'm not saying we should get complacent or that we won't get 95+, but I'll be amazed if City get more than 90.

Thats Means just win all our home games and Draw all our away game, should get us 91 points. Lets do it!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3622 on: January 30, 2019, 11:18:59 am »
Just been looking through form tables for last 5, 10, 15 and 20 games. What stands out is our consistency. We’ve been in the top two over all those periods.

City’s form in the last 5 is solid enough but over the last 10 they’ve picked up 18, below even Wolves for the same period.

Time for us to turn the screw.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3623 on: January 30, 2019, 11:22:14 am »

The biggest difference was the confidence the fans had that we would do it in those days. Even if we did manage to muck it up, we won it the year after. I was too young to experience the fantastic run in 88, my only real memory was losing the cup final. 89 was a crushing blow after shouting we're gonna win the league weeks earlier but we went on to win it in 90 so we got over it. It's easy to be a bit arrogant when we can back it up.

We've sung these songs a couple of times over the last 10 years but it's never come to pass so I think we need to have the title nailed down before we do so again. We've waited 29 years so waiting a couple more months won't hurt but I reckon singing it will be worth the wait.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3624 on: January 30, 2019, 11:24:21 am »
The biggest difference was the confidence the fans had that we would do it in those days. Even if we did manage to muck it up, we won it the year after. I was too young to experience the fantastic run in 88, my only real memory was losing the cup final. 89 was a crushing blow after shouting we're gonna win the league weeks earlier but we went on to win it in 90 so we got over it. It's easy to be a bit arrogant when we can back it up.

We've sung these songs a couple of times over the last 10 years but it's never come to pass so I think we need to have the title nailed down before we do so again. We've waited 29 years so waiting a couple more months won't hurt but I reckon singing it will be worth the wait.

Yep. And can’t deny I got such a buzz hearing it being sung at then end of a Firmino song knocking about on YouTube!

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3625 on: January 30, 2019, 11:28:27 am »
I agree with your assessment about Fernandinho being their biggest concern, a City fan on the Talkshite Moan-In was lamenting about the manger running the legs off him.

It's a strange one this. I think Pep was after 2 things in their recent games where they battered different teams: to get the 'fear factor' back into teams facing city, to get them giving up before a ball was kicked as it were. And additionally to build the confidence of his players.

But it was a flawed plan. They were fucking 5-0 up at home to burton albion and he wanted them to keep going like their lives depended on it. They were 9-0 up against burton and he still picked Aguero for the second leg. Same with the FA cup - it wasn't just that they beat a lower league side or burnley, he was pressing on and on at them to keep going.

The end result was last night. If you had to bet right now would you say they'd get 9/9 from their next 3? I'm not sure you would. Let's see where it's all lying after those games. It's impossible not to get excited.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #3626 on: January 30, 2019, 11:30:47 am »
City haven't got the stomach for it.
Or maybe the legs? They played four games since we last played. They have a bit more of similar coming as well.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3627 on: January 30, 2019, 11:32:06 am »
I agree with your assessment about Fernandinho being their biggest concern, a City fan on the Talkshite Moan-In was lamenting about the manger running the legs off him. I don't necessarily think it will be an injury but I think the ref's are onto him now about all the clatterings he's been handing out and he's now started to get booked for them. If he picks up a booking early in a game it could effect his performance in terms of his commitment to a tackle or if he were to the receive a hospital ball as in the case of Milner he could go for a second late tackle. His tiredness definitely contributed to Newcastle's second goal and it was great tactics from them to press City in those areas.

No surprise that it all seemed to just stagnate in their midfield once their freshest player De Bruyne was hooked.  They rely heavily on Fernandinho and D. Silva who are both 33 and being asked to play the majority of games.  If Pep can't find a way to rotate them they'll be sitting on the sidelines one way or another before the seasons out.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #3628 on: January 30, 2019, 11:35:48 am »

Everyone is different.

Personally, I went to play 5-a side last night, only to be told when I arrived that City were already 1-0 up. I got home expecting it to be 4-0 and it wasn't, so I listened to the match on 5 Live whilst doing work at home, and it felt like 2008/9 all over again, when I listened to some of Utd's games (including the agony of a Macheda last minute winner).

Torture for some perhaps, but all part of the rollercaster ride and enjoyment for me. If I want to look ahead, predict scores, speculate on results elsewhere, and (god forbid) get a bit carried away, then that's my prerogative, and no amount of health warnings or preaching of caution on here will change my mind.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #3629 on: January 30, 2019, 11:37:54 am »
No surprise that it all seemed to just stagnate in their midfield once their freshest player De Bruyne was hooked.  They rely heavily on Fernandinho and D. Silva who are both 33 and being asked to play the majority of games.  If Pep can't find a way to rotate them they'll be sitting on the sidelines one way or another before the seasons out.
Also, Mahrez is not the player he was at Leicester, so far anyway.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3630 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:03 am »
It's a strange one this. I think Pep was after 2 things in their recent games where they battered different teams: to get the 'fear factor' back into teams facing city, to get them giving up before a ball was kicked as it were. And additionally to build the confidence of his players.

But it was a flawed plan. They were fucking 5-0 up at home to burton albion and he wanted them to keep going like their lives depended on it. They were 9-0 up against burton and he still picked Aguero for the second leg. Same with the FA cup - it wasn't just that they beat a lower league side or burnley, he was pressing on and on at them to keep going.

The end result was last night. If you had to bet right now would you say they'd get 9/9 from their next 3? I'm not sure you would. Let's see where it's all lying after those games. It's impossible not to get excited.

I wonder whether the reason they haven't rotated as much as they can, and have gone for the ridiculous scorelines is not because they are trying to convince everyone that they are back, but rather them trying to convince themselves that they are back? Obviously if the confidence is more fragile than they are trying to project, fatigue can easily cause more issues.

One thing we've seen this season from us has been the ability to almost accept the scoreline, and not go guns blazing looking for the 4th and 5th goals. Not only have we managed the games well at 2 up, we have dialled it back when it looked like we could go ballistic. It's all about the keeping something in reserve for later on. The last couple of games have been a bit too open so it would be good to keep it a bit more tight tonight.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #3631 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:59 am »
I agree with latortuga, if they lose Fernandinho then city seem to lose the fight a bit in midfield. Lets hope we can capitalise tonight, and then we will see how strong they are mentally for a title fight.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3632 on: January 30, 2019, 11:44:42 am »
Couple of random points...

Even if City win all of their fourteen remaining matches, it is now mathematically impossible for them to reach the 100 point tally that they set last season.

In the space of seven days, they will face Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea (starting Sunday). Even though I fully expect them to collect 3 points at Goodison, this could still be a tough week for them.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #3633 on: January 30, 2019, 11:46:33 am »
Couple of random points...

Even if City win all of their fourteen remaining matches, it is now mathematically impossible for them to reach the 100 point tally that they set last season.

In the space of seven days, they will face Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea (starting Sunday). Even though I fully expect them to collect 3 points at Goodison, this could still be a tough week for them.

I think the highest points tally they can achieve now is 98 ,I either read that here or on BBC last night.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3634 on: January 30, 2019, 11:48:12 am »
I think the highest points tally they can achieve now is 98

Correct.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #3635 on: January 30, 2019, 11:48:22 am »
One thing I've noticed is that 2013-14 we we're singing we're gonna win the league every game by now (started as a joke at Christmas but then became a mantra). We were giddy. So were the team.

Feels a lot more professional this time. On and off the pitch.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #3636 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:14 am »
One thing I've noticed is that 2013-14 we we're singing we're gonna win the league every game by now (started as a joke at Christmas but then became a mantra). We were giddy. So were the team.

Yeah, I think Klopp would shoot that down straight away.

13/14 was very different. It started as a joke (maybe TAW), then turned into 'BELIEVE!' and then at one stage almost everyone was convinced. Think there will be lessons learned from that.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3637 on: January 30, 2019, 11:54:53 am »
Just been in the National Football Museum in Manchester and was going to get a picture of the Premier League trophy but decided against it to not tempt fate.

I'm not normally a superstitious person either. Oh, and was v disappointed by the museum.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3638 on: January 30, 2019, 11:55:02 am »

Almost, first went up when we scored in the last minute against Fulham on the 12th of February.

Edit: But I agree with the rest of your post. I don't think we were complacent though. Everyone knew how big the Chelsea game was and I certainly didn't think we had a hand on the title until after that game. As it happened, we lost it and never did have a hand on it. To win that title we needed to win 13 and draw one from our last 14 games which would have been a phenomenal achievement.

If City win 13 and draw one then they get to 96. To get to 97 we can win 11 and draw 4 or win 12, draw one, lose 2.  :-X
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:57:52 am by Hij »

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3639 on: January 30, 2019, 11:55:31 am »
It's all about the keeping something in reserve for later on. The last couple of games have been a bit too open so it would be good to keep it a bit more tight tonight.

Precisely. I feel like that's come from Jurgen learning more about the league and the challenges as he's gone. Pep played into our hands by throwing so much at the league and FA cup games. The champions league hasn't even started back yet. We just need to keep it fresh and do our job. If we keep the gap at 7, or larger, by the time we face Bayern then we can start thinking about rotation around that game to keep fighting on two fronts.