Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850614 times)

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #2840 on: March 19, 2020, 08:54:03 am »
Bit harsh

Excuse me we are coming out of this very well. This is the longest unbeaten run in my life time lol

All jokes aside we haven't come out of anything looking well since GSB took over we've become a riduculed and disliked club. Rightly so in some of the comments and actions these three have done.

The shame of that is for many many years most of our history we were a good family club loyal to local and young players. Loyal to managers had only 9 managers in the first 100 years or so. Played the game the right way often to our detriment losing when we shouldn't. 

A great support considering we won sod all and having far more successful neighbours in London like Arsenal & Tottenham (Chelsea no different to West Ham trophy wise until Roman)

Often when talking to other fans down the years West Ham was actually a club a lot of people liked . They were generally inoffensive, played good football had local players a great youth system and mostly a good support (Knobheads in every club). Often commented how they liked I'm forever blowing bubbles etc

Often other fans would say to me from other parts of the country they were the London club they liked and respected you supported them rather than the other 3 big London clubs.

All changed now with GSB and of course social media allows people to be extreme knobheads.
I grew up having a soft spot for West Ham but as you say, the arseholes that now run your club have dragged its reputation down with them sadly  :( What are the chances of them leaving in the foreseeable future?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2841 on: March 19, 2020, 09:17:08 am »
I reckon Brady's going to look twice as stupid after this mornings meeting between PL clubs. I fully expect the majority of clubs to band together and make a decision to complete the 19/20 season - whenever that may be. Too many big clubs have way too much at stake on a financial level to accept any other outcome

United in particular wont want the door shut on their chances of getting back in the CL. It's worth way too much money to them. Then you have Villa and Bournemouth who (mathematically speaking) both have a realistically good chance of avoiding relegation

Fulham too have a realistic chance of clawing their way into the automatic promotion places. I doubt very much they'd just sit back and stay quiet at the if Leeds and West Brom were handed promotion with 9 games to play. And I could probably give numerous more examples of clubs further down the divisions who have good grounds to refuse the notion of abandoning the season

Does anyone honestly think that any of those clubs, or the people who represent them legally, give a flying fuck about the opinions of someone who writes for the nations biggest gutter rag and who's club plays in a bowl left over from the Olympics?

The problem is that the people pushing for this even if they don't have an agenda seem to have this mindset or belief that we will just start back up as normal in August.

The reality that most understand is that this will be hanging over us by this point next year as well. The season next season is equally under threat and at best you will get a shortened season. What is the point in losing all this money whilst next season we get threatened with that again?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2842 on: March 19, 2020, 10:07:54 am »
I reckon Brady's going to look twice as stupid after this mornings meeting between PL clubs. I fully expect the majority of clubs to band together and make a decision to complete the 19/20 season - whenever that may be. Too many big clubs have way too much at stake on a financial level to accept any other outcome

United in particular wont want the door shut on their chances of getting back in the CL. It's worth way too much money to them. Then you have Villa and Bournemouth who (mathematically speaking) both have a realistically good chance of avoiding relegation

Fulham too have a realistic chance of clawing their way into the automatic promotion places. I doubt very much they'd just sit back and stay quiet at the if Leeds and West Brom were handed promotion with 9 games to play. And I could probably give numerous more examples of clubs further down the divisions who have good grounds to refuse the notion of abandoning the season

Does anyone honestly think that any of those clubs, or the people who represent them legally, give a flying fuck about the opinions of someone who writes for the nations biggest gutter rag and who's club plays in a bowl left over from the Olympics?

Exactly mate. Good post. It’s absolutely ridiculous to consider pretending the season never happened when next season could be interrupted too. The best plan is clearly to finish this season no matter how long it takes.

She has lost any credibility she had, as it’s obvious to anyone she was just trying to take advantage of a global health crisis for her own gain. Her own greed and opportunism prevented her from seeing how obvious it all was. I had a wealthy client years ago who sent us one of those Spanish lotto scam letters asking if it was worth a go at applying for - all he saw was lots of big numbers, which made him blind to the blatant scam. She was blind to her own obvious attempt at a “scam” to avoid relegation.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2843 on: March 19, 2020, 10:29:05 am »
What concerns me, but in a way doesn't surprise, is the near-hysteria and jubilation from Everton and Man City fans (and some others) who are desperate for the league to be voided.
In standard behaviour of these fucking clowns, it starts off as a jovial conversation, "oh they should just cancel the entire thing, its only fair", then it gets quite serious, the why and why nots for the league to be cancelled. They have a barrel load of excuses as to why the league shouldnt be continued, and instead voided.

When this doesn't work, they turn nasty as I witnessed recently with some mates in work, "well we had to forefit things after Heysel". 

There is just no reasoning with them, bitter, bitter, bitter bastards.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2844 on: March 19, 2020, 10:36:24 am »
What concerns me, but in a way doesn't surprise, is the near-hysteria and jubilation from Everton and Man City fans (and some others) who are desperate for the league to be voided.
In standard behaviour of these fucking clowns, it starts off as a jovial conversation, "oh they should just cancel the entire thing, its only fair", then it gets quite serious, the why and why nots for the league to be cancelled. They have a barrel load of excuses as to why the league shouldnt be continued, and instead voided.

When this doesn't work, they turn nasty as I witnessed recently with some mates in work, "well we had to forefit things after Heysel". 

Vile that they’re comparing Heysel to a global pandemic that has killed over 8000 to date.

If it affects any of their family, especially elderly, I wonder how they’ll feel about celebrating a virus.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2845 on: March 19, 2020, 11:55:53 am »
I have long wondered when the bubble in football (top flight especially) will bust - surely this will have long lasting effects on clubs. Cashflow down, risk of lower than expected projected returns etc will financially hammer those clubs who were sailing too close to the edge. even the league itself will have taken a hit. the aftermath is going to be far reaching

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2846 on: March 19, 2020, 12:38:39 pm »

While the powers that be forced us to play on weeks after 96 of our supporters were unlawfully killed and the entire squad and fanbase were traumatised. THat's nothing to do with the current situation at all but they never mention that.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2847 on: March 19, 2020, 01:06:35 pm »
@SamWallaceTel

Premier League announces that, along with FA & EFL, it has scrapped rule that season must end by June 1 & extended "indefinitely". Message is clear: season 2019-2020 will be completed. No games until April 30 at earliest
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2848 on: March 19, 2020, 01:21:44 pm »
@SamWallaceTel

Premier League announces that, along with FA & EFL, it has scrapped rule that season must end by June 1 & extended "indefinitely". Message is clear: season 2019-2020 will be completed. No games until April 30 at earliest

We now go live to Grand Old Team
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2849 on: March 19, 2020, 01:31:24 pm »
@SamWallaceTel

We're gonna win the League
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2850 on: March 19, 2020, 01:32:11 pm »
English football will be suspended until at least 30 April because of the continued spread of coronavirus.

All games in England's Premier League, EFL, Women's Super League and Women's Championship, and all fixtures in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, are currently postponed.

The Football Association has also agreed that the current season can be "extended indefinitely" beyond the original end date of 1 June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51962751
#Sausages

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2851 on: March 19, 2020, 03:59:32 pm »
Daniele Rugani's partner has revealed she's both pregnant and tested positive for Coronavirus. Fingers crossed there's no problems there.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2852 on: March 19, 2020, 05:13:23 pm »
They will complete the season come hell or high water.

Even if it eats into next season.

They can't do anything else. TV contracts are signed & commitments made.

I think this shite will be over soon. New cases in China have fallen sharply.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2853 on: March 19, 2020, 05:23:29 pm »

Despite the hysteria and cynical agendas of some, this was always the most common sense approach to take for so many reasons.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2854 on: March 19, 2020, 05:50:13 pm »

They've been in quarantine. Time for UK government to take more drastic measures.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2855 on: March 19, 2020, 06:00:45 pm »
Despite the hysteria and cynical agendas of some, this was always the most common sense approach to take for so many reasons.

Fans of other clubs are crying their eyes out tonight - nice bit of light relief
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2856 on: March 19, 2020, 06:15:02 pm »

Indeed. China today reported their first day with no new cases of the virus. With the obvious caveat that it is China with their own, unique approach to reporting, this could well be the turning point for them and a start of a retrocession. If so it shows that there will be life after this. China were totally unprepared for the sudden arrival of this pathogen (conspiracy theories aside), albeit their response has been more robust than we have so far attempted. But then we had more warning and are probably better prepared than China or Italy.

We'll only know in retrospect whether the UK's methodologies were correct or not, but this thing can be beaten, and will be beaten and life will go on. So it makes sense to be optimistic and plan for life going on, rather than giving in to doom and gloom.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2857 on: March 19, 2020, 06:41:05 pm »
The reality that most understand is that this will be hanging over us by this point next year as well. The season next season is equally under threat and at best you will get a shortened season. What is the point in losing all this money whilst next season we get threatened with that again?

There's an important distinction to be made here. This season is still currently active. Legal contracts between the PL and the participating clubs are still in force. The distribution of prize money has already been determined and TV monies have already been advanced to clubs. Sky, BT, NBC, and all other licensed broadcasters have all put up insane amounts of money to secure the rights to screen games.  Some clubs have structured their financials on the back of the TV money therefore are legally bound to fulfil the fixtures

The 20/21 season on the other hand, is not currently active. It has not yet begun and cannot begin without 19/20 being brought to full completion. The notion that 19/20 season may have to be curtailed in order to accommodate the commencement of the 20/21 season is utterly preposterous. It's the other way around. It'll be the 20/21 season that will have to accommodate the completion of 19/20.

I reckon Brady knows that. Let's be honest, she probably only said what she said because of the rag that she writes for.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2858 on: March 19, 2020, 06:51:48 pm »
You also hope that by this time next year they would have developed an antidote to the virus.
#Sausages

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2859 on: March 19, 2020, 07:21:31 pm »

Agreed.

The impression I get is that the League chairman are unified.

The 19/20 season will complete however long it takes.

No need for us to panic.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2860 on: March 19, 2020, 07:33:58 pm »

What’s happening in China will have no relevance to the epidemic here. They applied very stringent measures.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #2861 on: March 19, 2020, 07:48:43 pm »
Agreed.

The impression I get is that the League chairman are unified.

The 19/20 season will complete however long it takes.

No need for us to panic.
Au contraire, I’m starting to get a slight nagging worry in case this ends up replacing next season and they skip straight to 2021/22.  I want back-to-back titles while we’re flying.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2862 on: March 19, 2020, 07:49:11 pm »
What’s happening in China will have no relevance to the epidemic here. They applied very stringent measures.

Unless we play out the rest of the season in China.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2863 on: March 19, 2020, 07:54:35 pm »

Don't underestimate our authoritarian politicians.  They're preparing to ram through new laws as we speak that will allow them to take draconian measures like they have done in China. 

In fact they already have a lot of bad laws on the books should they decide to use them.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2864 on: March 19, 2020, 08:51:30 pm »
Don't know if this is the best thread for this.  But for anyone who subscribes to sky sports and has online access, there is now an option to 'pause' sky sports until the 'action' returns.  Obvious caveat may be if you just subscribe for the football, then charges may kick in again when the first obscure sport starts again, not necessarily football.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2865 on: March 19, 2020, 09:00:25 pm »
Don't know if this is the best thread for this.  But for anyone who subscribes to sky sports and has online access, there is now an option to 'pause' sky sports until the 'action' returns.  Obvious caveat may be if you just subscribe for the football, then charges may kick in again when the first obscure sport starts again, not necessarily football.

That is smart by them, stops thousands cancelling in their droves, and who knows what their financial situation will be like when the action returns, many may not bother coming back then.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2866 on: March 19, 2020, 09:04:06 pm »

Can you cross post this to here:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=277915.2720

That's good news for Sky customers  8)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2867 on: March 19, 2020, 10:25:05 pm »
Can you cross post this to here:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=277915.2720

That's good news for Sky customers  8)

On phone so was easier to just type similar in that thread.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2868 on: March 19, 2020, 10:38:46 pm »

I mean. I reckon this was posted as a joke. But I wouldn’t be stunned...

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2869 on: March 19, 2020, 10:42:30 pm »
I mean. I reckon this was posted as a joke. But I wouldn’t be stunned...

Dead serious mate, the premier league can afford it, by the time May comes round China will be the "safest" place to be. They are already getting on top of the virus, and if they are doing so well that fans are allowed in, a lot of games would sell out.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2870 on: March 19, 2020, 10:48:01 pm »
@SamWallaceTel

Yep. Athletic reporting that the PL clubs would be forced to pay back £762m in lost broadcast revenue if the season was cancelled.

Daniele Rugani's partner has revealed she's both pregnant and tested positive for Coronavirus. Fingers crossed there's no problems there.

Oh dear

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2871 on: March 19, 2020, 10:59:26 pm »

Yep I have done that however they told me that I would have to ring back to get the sports back again as I did ask as to whether it would start up again automatically.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2872 on: March 19, 2020, 11:14:20 pm »
Dead serious mate, the premier league can afford it, by the time May comes round China will be the "safest" place to be. They are already getting on top of the virus, and if they are doing so well that fans are allowed in, a lot of games would sell out.

Yeah I see it happening. It’d be economically great for the clubs - only way they could get around it without outcry would be passing on the excess revenue down the pyramid.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2873 on: March 19, 2020, 11:15:47 pm »

Hmmm. I like how you think. If it would have been played behind closed doors here then why not.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #2874 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:13 am »
Why in the actual fuck is there horse racing happening in Dundalk today? Yes, it is behind closed doors but the bookies have to continue getting their filthy hands involved.

I see I answered my own question!

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2875 on: March 20, 2020, 09:30:39 am »
Why in the actual fuck is there horse racing happening in Dundalk today? Yes, it is behind closed doors but the bookies have to continue getting their filthy hands involved.

Maybe an opportunity to try Jockey free horse racing - gets rid of the horrible whipping of animals and would be a much more fun watch...

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2876 on: March 20, 2020, 09:32:41 am »

I have read some stuff on Twitter about this. Apparently the main difference between horse racing in Ireland and Britain is most of the ambulances that do laps of the tracks in Ireland are private, so they're not removing services that are core to the public at times like this. Horse racing is an enormous employer too, so I suspect the government are giving them every encouragement.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2877 on: March 20, 2020, 10:12:18 am »
If the Open Golf has to be cancelled then the R&A will move the venues back a year as this year was supposed to be the 149th Open, as they want the 150th Open to be at St Andrews, Royal St Georges is supposed to host the Open this year, i think Royal St Georges will still host the next Open but could be next year.
#Sausages

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #2878 on: March 20, 2020, 11:32:28 am »

Over here we had the first woman who had tested positive for coronavirus and gave birth 2 days ago. She is currently in a good state, tests they did to the baby for coronavirus came back negative! So fingers crossed.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2879 on: March 20, 2020, 01:17:06 pm »
Going to get a hell of a lot worse here as the government are carrying on as normal. Packed out tube trains, full offices, gyms, pubs and cafes open. I walked past the chippy last night that was rammed. There were even several people in the bookies despite sport being off.

We're on a worse trajectory than Italy and that's without testing enough people to get the true picture.