Author Topic: Rafa Benitez - no longer at Celta Vigo  (Read 33688 times)

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa Benitez - at Celta Vigo
« Reply #280 on: March 12, 2024, 10:15:03 pm »
If he doesn't want to retire, why not go somewhere out of the spotlight where the pressure's off? I'm sure he's got enough money to keep his family set for life. He should just find a Spanish 4th division club and have some fun.

One thing I wonder about is why more managers, when they've run out of steam in Europe, don't take a crack at an American college team. It seems like it'd be enjoyable and pretty low-key, not to mention a totally different experience with player turnover and recruitment, etc. Not sure it'd be ideal for Rafa, but you never know.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: March 12, 2024, 10:20:00 pm »
Ireland job please!

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2024, 01:15:03 am »
The hardware he has won will always mean that somebody will give him a chance but I think his time has passed now.

Offline The Kuyt Runner

• Boys Pen
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2024, 02:18:35 am »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2024, 02:04:57 pm »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2024, 03:32:16 pm »
Classy from Rafa - as usual...

^ from https://twitter.com/rafabenitezweb/status/1767878479180152915

Would expect nothing less from the man

Sucks it hasn’t worked out, echo those that thing he should call it a day but the man loves football and is a workaholic so I just can’t see it.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2024, 05:41:44 pm »
Out of curiosity, how did Vigo fans feel about Rafa? Did they actively want him out? Did they back him to keep them up? Are there others to blame for their current predicament?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2024, 08:43:23 am »
Ireland job would make sense in a lot of ways, his family are based in Liverpool so he's only a short hop away, many flights a day

Plus being based in England most of the time wouldnt be an issue.

But I cant see it happening

The FAI are a fucking farce but then again he seems to go for jobs like that.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2024, 09:50:33 am »
Funnily enough, him at Newcastle right now would probably work out quite well for him and them.

It would work out well for the rest of the league maybe.  Unfortunately, all evidence points to Rafa being passed it as a manager. 

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa Benitez - no longer at Celta Vigo
« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2024, 10:12:12 am »
They sacked him after losing to real madrid… and they’re fighting relegation but above the relegation zone. A mental decision, unless the fans forced it. Clubs under pressure do some batshit crazy things at times.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2024, 10:22:35 am »
Since Liverpool its just been trainwreck after trainwreck. Inter, after Mourinho. Chelsea, as Interim. Napoli with their loon owner. Real, after Ancelotti. Saudi Arabia with their previous loon owner. Then China for a couple of years. And then the fucking Bitters. And then a lower table Celta Vigo who were selling their best players.

Great manager back in the day but absolutely dreadful at picking jobs.

He's got a terrible combination of being very high profile still but with a withering reputation, which is getting worse every job he takes. His great successes are now nearly two decades ago, the players he's coaching are mainly going to be too young to even remember when he was seen as one of the best coaches in the world. There's a lot he can give to football....but I do wish he'd just fuck off being a manager now.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2024, 10:30:25 am »
He really does make some very bad moves, his agent must be Estelle from friends.

Fag hanging out their mouth "Rafa I have got this job, perfect for you, its a big club but they are a mess with loon owners and no money"

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2024, 11:45:07 am »
Unfortunately the game has evolved past Rafa now. He's no longer the one coming in and upsetting the status quo with fresh ideas on how football can be played. Unlike some other managers who can eke out some relative success on their man management style, Rafa's achievements were built on the tactical innovations he brought to the game some 20 or so years ago. 4231, zonal marking, in-game flexibility, squad rotation etc. Most of these are now standard fare and/or not relevant in today's game. At his peak, he was the best in-game manager I've ever seen at Liverpool. Adore Klopp as much as I do, this is the one area Rafa had over him IMO. But his time at the top has passed now. It's a hard watch seeing his career wind down, like a boxer on his last legs, but he'll forever go down as one of our greatest ever.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2024, 11:57:14 am »
Great but sad post

I do feel time has passed him by

I hated the way he was treated at some clubs

Including here of course.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2024, 12:02:52 pm »
They sacked him after losing to real madrid… and they’re fighting relegation but above the relegation zone. A mental decision, unless the fans forced it. Clubs under pressure do some batshit crazy things at times.

Correct and they probably knew they were going to sack him but made sure the new guy didn’t start with the Madrid game so let Rafa take the hit as they would lose that game regardless.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2024, 12:13:58 pm »
I'm the first one to criticise some of Rafa's hon decisions but I don't think it's desperately sad or anything. Whatever job he's taken you can bet he's been compensated handsomely. I'm not saying it's the only reason he will have taken jobs, clearly he's football obsessed. But I think he will be OK.

Look at Hodgson, Moyes. I think there is still clubs he could be a success at. Just a win or two more at Celta and he probably would have been OK, but it's very cut throat at that end of the table. I'm sure there's a right job out there for him. It's true it's difficult when you're on a run of jobs that have been failures but there's worse managers than Rafa that still pop up in jobs. Maybe a step down in a division, an interim job etc, who knows. He's good pundit too as has been said.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2024, 01:03:12 pm »
I'm the first one to criticise some of Rafa's hon decisions but I don't think it's desperately sad or anything. Whatever job he's taken you can bet he's been compensated handsomely. I'm not saying it's the only reason he will have taken jobs, clearly he's football obsessed. But I think he will be OK.

Look at Hodgson, Moyes. I think there is still clubs he could be a success at. Just a win or two more at Celta and he probably would have been OK, but it's very cut throat at that end of the table. I'm sure there's a right job out there for him. It's true it's difficult when you're on a run of jobs that have been failures but there's worse managers than Rafa that still pop up in jobs. Maybe a step down in a division, an interim job etc, who knows. He's good pundit too as has been said.

I don't think anyone here is saying Rafa won't be okay financially, but from the perspective of fan of him (what he did for this club transcends football) it's a hard watch to see him slide lower and lower down the job market. The fact he's now being mentioned alongside such elite names as Hodgson and Moyes says it all. There was a time when those two would feel lucky to be shit on the sole of his shoe. But in all truth I don't think he'd get a lower Premier League job with where his reputation is right now. Now, part of that may be down to the way the English media treated him in the past, but the reality is he's not had any managerial success since getting Newcastle promoted in 2017. Maybe that's a hint that dropping down a division could work for him? I'll always love the man and I'll always follow his career, but like others I hope he settles into punditry or even has a go at international management.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: March 14, 2024, 01:23:45 pm »
Should try his luck at Tranmere.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #298 on: March 14, 2024, 01:36:38 pm »
Should try his luck at Tranmere.

That's not a bad shout once Adkins goes, they like him and the family over on the Wirral (Well reds and blues over there my be divided) and he can live at home, walk the dog and be a local hero. Does not need the money anymore.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2024, 01:16:11 pm »
Well, I started so I'll finish - even as Rafa is no longer there, Claudio Giraldez is the new coach, and only 10 matches to go - I'll put up the rest of the matches this season in this post...

Celta's matches live on TV around the world (+ great for IPTV etc): www.livesoccertv.com/teams/spain/celta-de-vigo

Celta's remaining fixtures: www.flashscore.co.uk/team/celta-vigo/8pvUZFhf/fixtures

Sevilla 1 - 2 Celta Vigo : 15th vs 17th : League Match 29 : Sunday 17th March : 3 minute highlights - www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7wrNlGWTtE
Celta 0 - 0 Rayo Vallecano : 17th vs 16th : League Match 30 : Sunday 31st March : 3 minute highlights - www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxpUXMdBoto
Betis 2 - 1 Celta Vigo : 7th vs 17th : League Match 31 : Friday 12th April, 8pm : 3 minute highlights - www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2mwr6Axw4
Celta 4 - 1 Las Palmas : 17th vs 12th : League Match 32 : Saturday 20th April, 1pm kick off : 3 minute highlights - www.youtube.com/watch?v=DccEJckecoo
Alaves 3 - 0 Celta : 15th vs 16th : League Match 33 : Saturday 27th April, 5.30pm kick off : 3 minute highlights - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoGW8dre1U4
Celta 3 - 2 Villarreal : 17th vs 10th : League Match 34 : Sunday 5th May, 3.15pm kick off : 3 minute highlights - www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4nZvFld1Uk

next up... 

lAtl. Madrid vs Celta : 4th vs 16th : League Match 35 : Sunday 12th May, 3.15pm kick off : Live in the UK on Premier Player & LA LIGA TV

« Last Edit: May 5, 2024, 08:10:39 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576