Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 775549 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #5320 on: March 21, 2022, 04:42:07 pm »
I think Joe's looked very good at RB the last few times he's played there - previously, it was all very much fish-out-of-water. I'm not buying that Trent's injury has been fabricated/exaggerated to avoid internationals, so here's hoping he can build upon this.

Have to say, I'm not sure what will happen with him this summer. Even considering he's coming back from a big injury, I have a hard time seeing him passing either Matip or Konate in the pecking order at CB assuming everyone stays fit. Yes, he'll get more games next season than this one, but that may not be enough for Joe (and I couldn't blame him if it wasn't).

All it takes is one injury, Klopp has already alluded to the fact that there is very little difference between all 3 cbs(Konate Matip Gomez).

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #5321 on: March 21, 2022, 04:46:15 pm »
Got to stay surely, feel like he’s one of the players who needs a run of games to get back to his best, whether he gets it or not I’m not sure, think they’re all in brilliant form to be honest

Got to leave, surely! No way he's starting as a left-side centre back until Virgil retires and Konate is what, 21 years old?

Joe Gomez needs dozens and dozens of starts to cement the quality he has, at top level. Not to be 4th choice for us.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5322 on: March 21, 2022, 04:51:10 pm »
All it takes is one injury, Klopp has already alluded to the fact that there is very little difference between all 3 cbs(Konate Matip Gomez).
Gomez has been extremely unlucky with injuries and I hope he can stake a stronger claim to one of these places. For me, if/when fully fit, he is still clearly ahead of Konate and has more experience. I just don't know if he will fully recuperate (like Ox never really did). Some also miss one of his indispensable qualities - being able to cover at RB, which Konate cannot (let alone Matip). Joe will never be a close substitute of Trent, but he has the speed to support the right side attack and, who knows, may develop his crossing. Our RB cover is subject to very precarious conditions given the quality of Trent and his availability throughout the year; you can't find many good solutions (a la Tsimikas) who are willing to fill in for the odd game. That's where Joe and Millie come in. Neither one would want to play RB, neither should be there long-term, but either can be called upon in the rare moments when needed.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5323 on: March 21, 2022, 04:51:31 pm »
Got to leave, surely! No way he's starting as a left-side centre back until Virgil retires and Konate is what, 21 years old?

Joe Gomez needs dozens and dozens of starts to cement the quality he has, at top level. Not to be 4th choice for us.

Konate is almost exactly two years older than Joey (Ibou is 23 in May, Joey is 25 in May)

And why would he be looking at left-sided CB? The manager has pretty much shown with our CBs before, including Gomez, that once you've got the shirt its pretty much yours to lose. I'm sure he's frustrated but he seems a pretty intelligent lad and I'm also sure he's looking at the form of Joel and Virg this season and not being majorly surprised they've started the vast majority of games.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5324 on: March 21, 2022, 05:59:15 pm »
Who thought Matip would survive more than 10 games without a serious injury? Probably no one - including Klopp and Gomez. Who thought Konate would take to the Premier League so quickly? A few more people I suppose, but it wasn't a done deal.

This has left Joe Gomez in a very strange position. He's a proved and tested elite centre back who, had he been in pole position, would probably have played most of Liverpool's games and been seen - rightly- as England's premier central defender. But as it is he sometimes fails to even make the bench.

I can see why he might wish to go at the end of the season. But I hope he doesn't. I can't think of a precedent where Liverpool agree to sell a top class British footballer who has proved his worth and is still only 24 or 25.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5325 on: March 21, 2022, 06:03:27 pm »
I would sign up to Joe on a new long term deal but send him on loan next season to bring him fully back up to speed by playing regularly.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5326 on: March 21, 2022, 07:25:00 pm »
I would sign up to Joe on a new long term deal but send him on loan next season to bring him fully back up to speed by playing regularly.

That would be an ideal world scenario for us, but he turns 25 at the end of this season, so it's difficult to imagine him agreeing to that.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5327 on: March 21, 2022, 08:47:11 pm »

Not sure I would to be honest (the loan bit - the deal I would do). We need 4 top central defenders here over the course of a season and it would massively weaken us sending him out. Would only take Matip getting one of his injuries for us to be short.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5328 on: March 21, 2022, 09:30:28 pm »
The problem we have is if you’re someone like Arsenal, you’d be eyeing a bid on Gomez in the summer. How do you get Joe to stay when he’s gone from being one of the best young CB’s in Europe, winning everything, to 4-5 games at RB over the season?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5329 on: March 21, 2022, 10:26:31 pm »
How long is left on his current deal? If he has a least two left after this season then is no rush sell this summer. If Ben White goes for £50M how much does Joe go for?
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5330 on: March 21, 2022, 10:44:04 pm »
The problem we have is if you’re someone like Arsenal, you’d be eyeing a bid on Gomez in the summer. How do you get Joe to stay when he’s gone from being one of the best young CB’s in Europe, winning everything, to 4-5 games at RB over the season?

How do you know he doesn’t become 2nd choice cb next season? Nothing Konate has shown that says he is better than the Gomez we saw with VVD a couple seasons ago.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5331 on: March 22, 2022, 04:51:17 pm »

You could stop assuming that its going to be the same partnership. What Joe needs more than anything is a good pre-season which enables him to be present from the beginning. Whose to say he won't displace someone once he's up and running. It's difficult at the moment because of the number of games and going for all the trophies, but next season is a completely clean slate for all of them. There could be a different order by then.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5332 on: March 22, 2022, 05:04:16 pm »
Who thought Matip would survive more than 10 games without a serious injury? Probably no one - including Klopp and Gomez. Who thought Konate would take to the Premier League so quickly? A few more people I suppose, but it wasn't a done deal.

This has left Joe Gomez in a very strange position. He's a proved and tested elite centre back who, had he been in pole position, would probably have played most of Liverpool's games and been seen - rightly- as England's premier central defender. But as it is he sometimes fails to even make the bench.

I can see why he might wish to go at the end of the season. But I hope he doesn't. I can't think of a precedent where Liverpool agree to sell a top class British footballer who has proved his worth and is still only 24 or 25.

Me actually, based on his injury record in Germany, which was really good  :)

As for Joe, in no way should we be doing anything but trying to get him on a new contract, he's too good to be playing for a rival and could easily get back to being first choice again.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #5333 on: March 22, 2022, 05:22:12 pm »
Me actually, based on his injury record in Germany, which was really good  :)

As for Joe, in no way should we be doing anything but trying to get him on a new contract, he's too good to be playing for a rival and could easily get back to being first choice again.

Yep.

Matip was written off by literally loads of regular posters - only a handful of people pointed out that he actually had a very good fitness record in German football.

Matip has of course become something of a cult figure this season, and rightly so. He’s a world class defender, with a terrific ability to get forward, passing range and accuracy belying his frame and ungainly running style, and deceptive pace.

Joe has retained all his exceptional pace too. I really hope he stays, but when you compare our quality at CB with the rest of Europe, let alone the Premiership, we are truly blessed. It would be very unusual for other clubs not to be envious, and to test his and our resolve.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5334 on: March 22, 2022, 06:21:21 pm »
It would be very unusual for other clubs not to be envious, and to test his and our resolve.

Tell Hodgson to go fuck himself, our resolve is impeccable...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5335 on: March 22, 2022, 09:00:34 pm »

If we can manage his fitness and workload to prevent injury I’d keep him, he just needs a few more games to make him feel like he’s still an important player

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5336 on: March 23, 2022, 12:15:31 am »
He's only 24 and Joel and Big Virg are 30. It should be an easy sell to keep him here. I'm sure Jurgen's done it already.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #5337 on: March 23, 2022, 12:30:07 am »
As I keep banging on, we don't sell players who want to stay and whom the manager wants to keep. I'm pretty sure Klopp wants to keep Joe so it'll only matter if Joe doesn't want to stay. So will he?

Joe has probably had the discussion with Klopp as to how this season will mostly be one of recovery for him. He's young compared to Matp and Virgil so he has time on his side. Players work their bollocks off for years in the hope of singing for a side like LFC. Once here why would you leave when there's regular trophies and a clear path to regular first team action?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #5338 on: March 23, 2022, 01:12:53 am »
Joe would obviously replace matip eventually as konate will virgil, so if hes just patient should be fine for everybody. This year Konate had to be shown the league period, and also no injurys at all to speak of so, that just ate all joes mins. But nothing is forever.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5339 on: March 23, 2022, 02:27:34 am »
How do you know he doesn’t become 2nd choice cb next season? Nothing Konate has shown that says he is better than the Gomez we saw with VVD a couple seasons ago.

Im not saying get rid, I’m saying he is going to have clubs like Arsenal, maybe a Bayern/Real, seeing a top level CB playing 4-5 games at RB and putting offers in. If you’re Joe, that’s a hard decision to stay here if you’re desperate to play.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #5340 on: March 23, 2022, 08:52:35 pm »
As I keep banging on, we don't sell players who want to stay and whom the manager wants to keep. I'm pretty sure Klopp wants to keep Joe so it'll only matter if Joe doesn't want to stay. So will he?

Joe has probably had the discussion with Klopp as to how this season will mostly be one of recovery for him. He's young compared to Matp and Virgil so he has time on his side. Players work their bollocks off for years in the hope of singing for a side like LFC. Once here why would you leave when there's regular trophies and a clear path to regular first team action?

On the money this. Joe is certainly not a full-back, but he is proven class and still a good age.

At 25, was Van Dijk still at Celtic?

Also British registration quota, and on a good contract. Not going anywhere.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline never_played096

• Boys Pen
« Reply #5341 on: March 23, 2022, 09:22:16 pm »
Im not saying get rid, I’m saying he is going to have clubs like Arsenal, maybe a Bayern/Real, seeing a top level CB playing 4-5 games at RB and putting offers in. If you’re Joe, that’s a hard decision to stay here if you’re desperate to play.

Big 6 clubs won't sell to other big 6 clubs, and he wouldn't be a locked in starter over Bayern or RM's current defenders.

The much more likely outcome are the big Italian clubs (excluding Inter, who already have Skriniar / De Vrij / Bastoni). Many of them now play with 3 ATB which would allow Gomez to push the ball forwards in the same way he does at Liverpool. They can afford his wages, offer competitive projects with Serie A being wide open, and historic brands that can help him politically with the national team.

Others to watch are West Ham and Leicester, but Serie A has become an incredibly attractive option for young English players over going to a Non-UCL stepping stone club in the EPL.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #5342 on: April 2, 2022, 12:54:17 pm »
What a ball that was Joe Dave Trent Gomez
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5343 on: April 2, 2022, 01:19:08 pm »
What a ball that was Joe Dave Trent Gomez

It was a lovely assist.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #5344 on: April 2, 2022, 01:19:15 pm »
That was a Trentesque cross

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5345 on: April 2, 2022, 01:22:41 pm »
Brilliant cross, but that booking was really daft.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5346 on: April 2, 2022, 01:30:09 pm »
that filthy cross got trent looking all worried on the bench ;D

trent would usually just lay off and shepherd the player to a rather non threatening position or till back ups appear. Intelligent and modern defending of a world class right back

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5347 on: April 2, 2022, 01:30:58 pm »

Booking made complete sense. Break down their potential attack.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #5348 on: April 2, 2022, 01:31:08 pm »
Who does he think he is? Trent ?? ;)

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #5349 on: April 2, 2022, 02:26:38 pm »
Who does he think he is? Trent ?? ;)

Trentinho.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5350 on: April 2, 2022, 02:28:08 pm »
What a cross for the goal. The one in the second half was beautiful as well. The last couple of games he's played at right  back, he's been excellent.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5351 on: April 2, 2022, 02:28:55 pm »
Fantastic performance today. Almost perfect in all phases.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5352 on: April 2, 2022, 02:30:24 pm »
Never ceases to surprise me that people are surprised he’s good at RB! He’s played a good chunk of his time here at LB or RB and never let us down there
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5353 on: April 2, 2022, 02:33:49 pm »
Talksport Motm

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5354 on: April 2, 2022, 02:35:00 pm »
 Joe Cool 8)

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5355 on: April 2, 2022, 02:36:55 pm »
He was boss today.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5356 on: April 2, 2022, 02:37:56 pm »
His crossing looked really sharp today and after picking up a yellow card I thought he defended really intelligently in the second half and coped well.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5357 on: April 2, 2022, 02:40:16 pm »
Go on Big Joseph.  8)

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #5358 on: April 2, 2022, 02:42:08 pm »
Great game coming in cold. One of his best at RB. Cross was superb.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5359 on: April 2, 2022, 02:46:01 pm »

He looked sharp today, great assist and couldn’t be more pleased for him