Author Topic: PL: Leicester 3 vs 1 Liverpool Mo ‘67 Maddison ‘79 Vardy ‘81 Barnes ‘85  (Read 47218 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1

Leicester City v Liverpool

Saturday 13th February 2021

BT Sport - 1230

Referee: Anthony Taylor Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn Fourth Official: Lee Mason VAR Stuart Attwell Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes

Forgive me for this OP, I'm going to be a little self indulgent with it if you don't mind.

"Liverpool remains one of the best teams I have seen in my entire life"

Pep Guardiola knows a thing or two about good footballing teams and said this in his press conference today for this weekend's games. A few have given up on the title, I'll admit that I have probably have as well, but the above quote is a reminder of just how good this team is and what they are capable of doing, we should remember that!

I read a stat the other day. A Liverpool team of Alisson, Trent, Matip, Virgil, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino, Mane has only ever started one game together - the European Cup Final in Madrid. Of course this isn't fact checked so happy to be corrected. Prior to Thiago coming this summer you could argue, and probably still could, that on paper that is the strongest team Jurgen Klopp could field in the entirety of his time here and yet he's only been able to do it once. What he and the team have been able to achieve of the last three to four years is absolutely incredible. Someone posted this really helpful image in the Injury News Only thread a few days ago:

Look at the amount of key players who have missed more than 5 games this season through injury. The obvious ones are all three centre backs picking up season ending injuries but even when your squad players are picking up injuries it has a knock on effect for the rest of the team. Man City struggled last season without Laporte, Roy Keane called us "bad champions" in the week when in 2003 his Man Utd side capitulated at the top of the table after losing Rio Ferdinand for the rest of the season, yet Liverpool are expected to carry on as they were in a condensed season where the games are coming at them thick and fast? As Ace Ventura would say "Alllllllllllrighty then!" These aren't excuses they are legitimate reasons and frankly I think it's a incredible that Klopp, the coaching staff and the players have done as well as they have done so far this season! Yes no one has enjoyed the last month or so, it doesn't help the whole social aspect of going to the match has been taken away from us either, but this team has given us so much for so long that we really do need us to back them right now when they need us the most.

Anyway, to the game:

The reverse fixture at Anfield saw Liverpool cruise to a 3-0 win with an own goal from Jonny Evans accompanied by goals from Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino. There were a few pre-match nerves due to how well Leicester had done up to that point so far but Liverpool were at their imperious best and Foxes didn't get a sniff. The same was said about our previous trip to The King Power Stadium on Boxing Day 2019 when the away contingent (remember those?!) descended on the East Midlands in what was billed as title challenging Leicester taking on Jurgen Klopp's runaway Reds in a 1st vs 2nd battle, oh and didn't the media want Leicester to put a huge blue dent into our title tour?! Again I'll admit to feeling the nerves prior that game, especially as I'd got a last minute ticket from a mate and hadn't had the chance to calm any of my nerves. What emerged was even more comprehensive than the victory at Anfield earlier this season with a brace from Roberto Firmino, a penalty from James Milner and sumptuous drive into the bottom corner from Trent Alexander Arnold sending the away end into joyful delirium just days after being crowned Club World Champions and moving them 13 points clear of their nearest challenges. "We're Champions of the World" rang out around The King Power sending the locals into meltdown and getting louder with each goal. Most will look at the Man United game at Anfield as the turning point in people believing we were going to win the league but lets be honest it was this performance at Leicester that turned the tide, United was just the release point!

This season's fixture find the clubs next to each other in the league again with Leicester in 3rd and Liverpool 4th. Neither are in form with both only winning 2 of their last 5 games. Unusually the 3 games Liverpool haven't won have been at Anfield, failing to score each time, with their last two away outings in the league yielding 6 goals as they looked back to their best with back to back 3-1 wins at Spurs and West Ham. Leicester's last home game was the 3-1 defeat to Leeds and they've generally struggled there this season with 5 wins, 1 draw and 5 losses to their name.

It's a little early for team news right now but there's been glimpses of Liverpool's transfer deadline day centre back signings Ozan Kabak and Ben Davies on the substitutes bench the last few matches and at least one of these needs to be introduced to the team so we can get one of or both Jordan Henderson and Fabinho back into midfield, hopefully changing the tide of the season! Who's your money on?

I'll end this on a sombre note. As I'm writing this news has been released that Jurgen Klopp's mother has passed away. I'm sure everyone on RAWK passes on our condolences and best wishes to him and his family at this time. RIP Elisabeth, You'll Never Walk Alone. Lets bring home the three points for Jurgen, Elisabeth and his family! Come on Redmen!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:12:53 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Leicester vs Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 12:11:23 pm »

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 12:30:57 pm »
0 Leicester get us underway at the crisp bowl

Kabak fulfils the requirement of being massive, that we have  missed.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 12:32:27 pm »
1 early cross for the left and it’s behind for a reds corner... needed dealing with that, Mo would have had a free header.

The corner is cleared and Madisson has a shit form half way. Alisson was in control of that though
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 12:34:21 pm »
3 lovely diagonal through form TAA to put Mane in, but their Turkish lad gets go back to cover.

Resulting corner is cleared.

Alisson is exceptionally high to try to cut out space for Vardy on the break.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 12:36:08 pm »
5 great interception by Henderson to cut out a through ball to Vardy.  Well read skipper.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 12:37:07 pm »
6 Mane bursts forward and passes to the left of the area. Mo’s ball back across goal finds no one.  Good idea though.
W

Online Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 12:40:03 pm »
Like what I'm seeing so far  - need a couple of goals

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 12:40:41 pm »
10 Whatba ball from Henderson over the top to Mo.

Mo can’t quite bring it under his control. 

Promising though
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 12:41:26 pm »
Brilliant defence splitting ball that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 12:42:55 pm »
12 Mo down in the area.  Not much of an appeal, but you’ve seen them given. 

He’s going down before  he’s been touched though
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 12:43:08 pm »
That was a penalty very quick check as per usual:

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 12:44:03 pm »
12 Mo down in the area.  Not much of an appeal, but you’ve seen them given. 

He’s going down before  he’s been touched though

There was definite contact.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 12:44:10 pm »
That was a penalty very quick check as per usual:
If the ref had given it then it wouldn’t have been overturned.

It’s what I’d call a Manchester United penalty ;D
W

Online Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 12:44:54 pm »
Don't know who the commentator is on my feed but it's full bore on the 'Salah goes down too easily' narrative.

Prick

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 12:45:19 pm »
If the ref had given it then it wouldn’t have been overturned.

It’s what I’d call a Manchester United penalty ;D

Maybe but they have been given.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 12:46:52 pm »
14 corner to the reds.

Cleared and another comer

Milner coming off with an injury in a minute FFS

And it’s lashed just wide from the edge of the area

Over to sir Bob
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 12:47:09 pm »
Milner coming off our lack in of luck is laughable.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 12:47:25 pm »
16 as Tepid alluded to, Milner goes off for Thiago
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 12:51:18 pm »
19 Leicester attack, we nick it back and break quickly. Trent plays Mo in one on one, the angle is tight and he ends up squaring it towards Mane who can’t turn it in.

Online Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
PL: Leicester vs Liverpool
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 12:52:19 pm »
19 Leicester attack, we nick it back and break quickly. Trent plays Mo in one on one, the angle is tight and he ends up squaring it towards Mane who can’t turn it in.
Schmeichel got a hand to it when Mo tries to lob him

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 12:53:56 pm »
23 Hendo with a superb ball out to Mo who wins a corner. Corner cleared. Curtis then booked for a foul .

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 12:54:28 pm »
Love the way Hendo was in there talking to everyone, his encouragement is constant throughout the game.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 12:54:51 pm »
Booked for nearly nothing there
W

Online Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
PL: Leicester vs Liverpool
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2021, 12:55:39 pm »
Booked for nearly nothing there
Incredible how easily refs hand out bookings to some and not others

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 12:57:18 pm »
25 Decent move with Robbo the instigator. Bobby played in but keeper down well to narrow the angle. Corner. Taken short. Eventually comes to Bobby, a yard out and Schmeichel denies him. Could have been offside but play continues.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 12:58:05 pm »
Yeah. Was a clear offside in there
W

Online Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2021, 12:58:27 pm »
That was offside but that twat Schmeichel saved it anyway

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 12:59:15 pm »
28 Bobby fires over from just inside the box. Reminds me of the first half v Spurs, completely dominant without reward.

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 01:00:47 pm »
29 Corner Leicester. Headed wide.

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 01:01:22 pm »
Over to Jill

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2021, 01:02:46 pm »
31 We have done plenty of things well today some great attacks we just need the finishing polished. There is plenty of space to attack Leicester and they have only had one or two chances so far.

Online Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 01:04:26 pm »
Lunging tackle by Leicester player- ref ignores it

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 01:04:28 pm »
32 That was good to see a real lunge in for the ball by Robbo there. We don't see it enough in lockdown football. The game is a bit ebb and flow at the moment, each team trying to get possession.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 01:06:07 pm »
35 We have been brilliant so far at closing down space when Leicester have the ball, they just don't have the space that we find when we are attacking. Most of their balls have been long to Vardy. That was another example, with Vardy probably should have done better.

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 01:08:14 pm »
Thiago still hasn’t quite worked out that time on the ball is increasingly limited in English football.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2021, 01:08:43 pm »
37 Some good defending there on the edge of the Leicester box led to a wonderful silky run by Sadio, but in the end he was overcome by numbers.

Online Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 01:09:16 pm »
Thiago still hasn’t quite worked out that time on the ball is increasingly limited in English football.
Yep. That attempted turn on the ball was waaaaay too slow

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2021, 01:09:58 pm »
38 Another corner on the right for us after a good cross field ball by Robbo is put out by their goalie. The corner is cleared.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2021, 01:11:57 pm »
40 We were in a very promising position there but Sadio couldn't quite deliver the ball and Leicester clear once more.