Author Topic: Electronic Arts.  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
Electronic Arts.
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:19:30 pm »
Masters of the piss take, with an astonishing lack of pride in their work. I'm boycotting their products, as their shoddy work gets shoddier with each passing year.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
Re: Electronic Arts.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:21:59 pm »
They've been shite for well over a decade.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:42:10 pm »
Well this is now a couple of years old, but entirely relevant, especially the last 2 minutes or so.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/an-open-letter-to-ea-marketing
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:35:52 pm »
James Pond 2: Robocod wasn't bad.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:22:01 am »
Most people will still buy there products though. Activision are far worse mind.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:27:13 am »
Mass Effect 2 and 3(Yes 3) were brilliant though.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:05:35 am »
Destroyers of Bioware!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:34:45 am »
Destroyers of Bioware!
Mass Effect 2 & 3(yes 3)!

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:51:39 am »
You're quoting quasi-RPG-action-adventure games from a name that used to stand for western RPG excellence.
If anything you're proving my point.  ;)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 08:54:56 am »
Mass Effect 2 was absolutely stunning IMO.

I hadn't played games (well, only the wii...) for well over 5 years and coming back to that and Assassins Creed 2 was amazing.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:17 am »
Glad 2K Sports have put them firmly in their place with NBA2K13 v NBA Live

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 10:16:19 am »
Mass Effect 2 & 3(yes 3)!

How can you even say that, Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of all time (personal opinion of course but shared by many) Mass Effect 3 was good also just shocker ending but yeah... wow

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 11:21:41 am »
How can you even say that, Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of all time (personal opinion of course but shared by many) Mass Effect 3 was good also just shocker ending but yeah... wow
Wait , what? Did you read the post I replied to? And the one I made earlier?This one:
Mass Effect 2 and 3(Yes 3) were brilliant though.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:51:40 pm »
They still totally corrupted Dragon Age.

I mainly hate their Sports line for getting rave (paid) reviews for being the same shite every year when other games are lambasted for the same reasons, and their destruction of the second-hand market by introducing online passes.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 01:15:16 pm »
I mainly hate their Sports line for getting rave (paid) reviews for being the same shite every year when other games are lambasted for the same reasons, and their destruction of the second-hand market by introducing online passes.

The IGN "coverage" Of FIFA is borderline disgraceful, waxing lyrical about paper thin new features, awarding 9/10 scores and then adding one sentence mentioning that the game is 99% the same as the year before. The entire YouTube promotion is the same way, nobody has a bad word to say about it, because they get invited to the EA promotional events, etc. You can't really blame EA for trying tactics like this, but where's the balanced coverage?

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 01:38:15 pm »
The IGN "coverage" Of FIFA is borderline disgraceful, waxing lyrical about paper thin new features, awarding 9/10 scores and then adding one sentence mentioning that the game is 99% the same as the year before.

But the game before was a good game in itself, so whats the problem with most of it being the same? FIFA is a good game which alot of people play most of the year round - so it's hardly unfair that it gets a good score in reviews.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 04:27:43 pm »
A lot of their great games aren't developed in-house (Mass Effect - Bioware, Spore - Maxis), so they can hardly take any credit for them. Only reason why the EA logo is in those games is because they have the capital to distribute them proper.

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 04:56:11 pm »
The IGN "coverage" Of FIFA is borderline disgraceful, waxing lyrical about paper thin new features, awarding 9/10 scores and then adding one sentence mentioning that the game is 99% the same as the year before. The entire YouTube promotion is the same way, nobody has a bad word to say about it, because they get invited to the EA promotional events, etc. You can't really blame EA for trying tactics like this, but where's the balanced coverage?

Why would they change a good game that much in fairness?
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 05:10:45 pm »
I think FIFA could definitely benefit from pretty large improvements year on year, It's a decent football game - but they never strive to make it amazing, is it really worth Ł40 of your money for such tiny incremental changes? Not bashing on FIFA or people that play it, I just think EA are incredibly cynical in the way they go about it. The changes from PES 3, 4, 5 and 6 were marked, wheras to me, FIFA's changes seem to be more about adding more modes than about real, beefy gameplay changes.

They don't sell these games at a knockdown price, in fact they try and push extra costs onto you through Ultimate Team and the like, so why do they seem to put a lacklustre amount of effort into actually improving them? They sell like hot-cakes anyway, so it's not like my opinion matters a jot ;D

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 05:18:30 pm »
FIFA is amazing and it's changes a lot every 2 years, FIFA 14 will be completely different to this one but 15 will be like 14 with new changes and minor tweaks, 16 will be completely different to 14/15 and 17 will be like 16, etc...

Battlefield and FIFA are class, don't play any other games really so can't criticise EA too much.

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »
FIFA is amazing and it's changes a lot every 2 years, FIFA 14 will be completely different to this one but 15 will be like 14 with new changes and minor tweaks, 16 will be completely different to 14/15 and 17 will be like 16, etc...

Battlefield and FIFA are class, don't play any other games really so can't criticise EA too much.

See that's the thing.

I don't take issue with people who like vanilla, mass produced, simple stuff. I'm a snob, but I try to be a reasonable snob, and don't take issue with people who for example choose to eat MacDonalds. I may not enjoy it personally, but I can see why its possible someone else could enjoy that stuff.

What I don't like, is how EA does the equivalent of buying up other good franchises, and then driving them into the ground. Coupled with their frankly cringeworthy marketing campaigns, and anti-competitive and shitty marketing/selling tactics, there's not a lot at all to like about them as a company.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 08:38:15 pm »
I think FIFA could definitely benefit from pretty large improvements year on year, It's a decent football game - but they never strive to make it amazing, is it really worth Ł40 of your money for such tiny incremental changes? Not bashing on FIFA or people that play it, I just think EA are incredibly cynical in the way they go about it. The changes from PES 3, 4, 5 and 6 were marked, wheras to me, FIFA's changes seem to be more about adding more modes than about real, beefy gameplay changes.

Well put it this way, Fifa 12 for example - for fourty quid you get a game you basically play all year round. Well worth the 40 quid - and though the differences may only be small the game is still worth the money.

And as for Pro Evo, I did enjoy those games - but they had certain weaknesses and began to rapidly go down hill after a time. The last pro evo game I played for example, was a disgrace. I think EA have it right with this one - don't fix what isn't broken. Too often at least.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 09:03:52 pm »
Well put it this way, Fifa 12 for example - for fourty quid you get a game you basically play all year round. Well worth the 40 quid - and though the differences may only be small the game is still worth the money.

And as for Pro Evo, I did enjoy those games - but they had certain weaknesses and began to rapidly go down hill after a time. The last pro evo game I played for example, was a disgrace. I think EA have it right with this one - don't fix what isn't broken. Too often at least.

Konami never improved on PES much year on year when it was the king of football sims then EA overtook them with FIFA 2008. It's hard trying to keep a winning formula but remain innovative at the same time and avoid the game going stale.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 09:27:33 pm »

I don't agree with FIFA being worth the money. It's almost the same game every year. Any significant changes to the game? Not really, the core of it which is the actual football is essentially the same with little improvements. Yet they get away with it and every release of the game each year always tops the charts and makes a killing. They must be laughing and Pro Evo doesn't look to be taking the crown from them so there's no incentive for them to try and a drastic change when people will continue to buy it?

It's also ridiculous how they reskin the game slightly for the Euro's and World Cup and slap a ridiculous price tag on it. Few quid for a Euro's game mode? Nah fuck you we'll charge you 40 quid instead you suckers.

Spoiler
Then again I buy FM every year. Still the point is there and EA are bastards.
[close]

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 07:47:09 am »
How can you even say that, Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of all time (personal opinion of course but shared by many)
It is (or was) a good game, but if you strip it down to it's basics it's just another cover based shooter.

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 09:05:01 am »
If you go back to the previous year's Fifa after playing the new one for any significant length of time it does not feel the same at all.
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Electronic Arts.
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:13 am »
Its the same with all sports franchises. I wouldn't mind an updated roster/team every year and the same gameplay if its already at its peak but obviously not pay the full price. See I thought fifa 11 was the best fifa there's been. Gameplay wise anyway, they can always update online, teams, manager mode etc, but its fundementals...how the game played and the enjoyment out of it hasn't been topped IMO. Fifa 12 introduced tactical defending and 13 took that further. However the system isn't perfect and ruins the experience, see the reason I like fifa 11 is it felt authentic and realistic 2 a certain extent while keeping a large element of enjoyable gameplay going. Same with cod4, it was fun and reasonably authentic. Compared to mw2 where people wielded every gun going with fuck all recoil and superhuman crysis suit like abilities and horrible killstreaks.

That's the problem of some franchises for me, the yearly ones, there gonna produce a game that won't be topped because it was as perfectly balanced as its ever likely to be but they won't just keep releasing new maps for that particular title or new/updates teams leagues because they would be moaned at for not changing anything and also they wouldn't be able to justify 40 quid for it.

In conclusion they ruin there own franchises trying to improve on them just so they can keep taking your money, year in year out.   

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Electronic Arts.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 10:35:13 am »
Like this year with Fifa, they make "improvements" apparantly but can't fix the servers, same with cod every year. Instead of changing the mechanics of the game at the very core (attacking, defending, AI etc) fix the lag, the shitty servers, manager mode so the fixtures aren't fucked, so we can actually play the game.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 11:11:14 am »
Upinsmoke, you are right.
It's stupid to ask full price for a few minor updates.
But the people are mad enough to buy it anyway.
So, in the end, who's the stupid one ?
I don't like EA and what they stand for, but you can't blame them for wanting to make money.

On another note, look at the prices of football matches.
It's insane for what you get in return.
Still people keep going.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:52 am »
For all the bitching that goes on in here and in the fifa thread, there's still a lot of you buy the games though.

Its the same every year. "Im not buying fifa this year, its fuckin shit. EA are wankers." Yet every year the demo comes out and everybody is won over and decide they are gonna buy it, only to start bitching about it again a month after release.

As i said, is a recurring theme year after year and next year will be the same.

So for Fifa 14, just save yourself the bother and dont fucking buy it. Get Pro Evo.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:07 am »
I don't agree with FIFA being worth the money. It's almost the same game every year. Any significant changes to the game? Not really, the core of it which is the actual football is essentially the same with little improvements. Yet they get away with it and every release of the game each year always tops the charts and makes a killing. They must be laughing and Pro Evo doesn't look to be taking the crown from them so there's no incentive for them to try and a drastic change when people will continue to buy it?

It's also ridiculous how they reskin the game slightly for the Euro's and World Cup and slap a ridiculous price tag on it. Few quid for a Euro's game mode? Nah fuck you we'll charge you 40 quid instead you suckers.

Spoiler
Then again I buy FM every year. Still the point is there and EA are bastards.
[close]

At east with FIFA they appear to have a development team behind it. I play FIFA manager every year and it just gets worse in terms of creativity and innovation. Last year most shops didn't stock it and there was little to no PR releases in the run up to the "launch". Although, in saying that, this year they seem to have spent a good deal of time on it and it looks like it could be the most progressive release in years.

I think previously they just conceded defeat to FM and didn't bother trying but they seem to giving it abit of a push at least this year with alot of new features.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 10:44:22 pm »
I've been boycotting Activision for two or three years now. EA do churn out a lot of shit, but they aren't as bad as they were back on the old platforms, where they churned out stuff that was awful in quality. For every piece of crap they sling out every year, they still publish and develop a lot of quality. Fifa, Battlefield, Dead Space, Burnout, Tiger Wood's and Mass Effect all come under the EA umbrella. Whilst not all developed by EA, there quality has improved in recent times. Customer service wise, they are unspeakably shit though, as anyone who's dealt with their Ultimate team people will know.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »
shithouses

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 01:00:16 am »
Just sent easportsfifa a tweet asking if they are going to patch the game and sort out pro clubs with the removal of legacy defending etc

They sent me this generic response

@EASPORTSFIFA: @spiderchoc Keep an eye out on the official channels for more information regarding the title update. More info here: http://t.co/SAN5jzEY

Answer my question, you Money grabbing wankers. Unsuprisingly my response of

@Spiderchoc: @EASPORTSFIFA or instead of sending me a link, you could answer my question. These issues should of been sorted before release, surely?

Hasn't been replied to.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:02:19 am by Mr Kipling »

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 11:55:53 am »
Most (games) companies are just like this, EA are only slightly worse.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:33 pm »

Gearbox are an obvious exception though.

http://kotaku.com/#!5795066/claptrap-has-a-proposal-for-you-tora

Offline Spireite

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 04:17:31 pm »

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »
... These issues should of been sorted before release, surely?
Of course you are right. But I don't think it would be fair to just blame EA.

Bethesda, who make fucking great games, I think, are even worse.
Look at the amount of patches they had to bring out before people could play Fallout 3 without crashing to desktop.
And Oblivion. Oblivion was patched better by members of the fan community then by Bethesda.
And Skyrim. 40 hours in and people would suddenly crash to desktop when visiting certain locations.
They make great games but they must have a terrible technical department.

But you are damned right. People shouldn't bring out games that are not ready.
People would not buy a car that wouldn't do reverse either.

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »

What other company rushes the release of their games so they are full of glitches or buys franchises to run them into the ground?
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 08:56:56 pm »
Of course you are right. But I don't think it would be fair to just blame EA.

Bethesda, who make fucking great games, I think, are even worse.
Look at the amount of patches they had to bring out before people could play Fallout 3 without crashing to desktop.
And Oblivion. Oblivion was patched better by members of the fan community then by Bethesda.
And Skyrim. 40 hours in and people would suddenly crash to desktop when visiting certain locations.
They make great games but they must have a terrible technical department.

But you are damned right. People shouldn't bring out games that are not ready.
People would not buy a car that wouldn't do reverse either.

Trouble is EA were banging on about have an any and pro keeper filter a few months before launch, but they didn't implement it. That's piss poor. The option shouldn't be in if it fails to work.

They should of taken it out until it was working. In fact quite a few features don't work correctly. It almost isn't fit for purpose at the moment with the issues they have
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:59:49 pm by Mr Kipling »