Author Topic: What has happened to gaming?  (Read 7640 times)

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
Re: What has happened to gaming?
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
Yes, just not a generally nice one.
I take exception to that. He's a sound lad. I think you need look closer to home mate.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2012, 11:57:53 pm »
I only play three games. The fallout series, GTA and Gran Turismo 5. Keeps me entertained for hours. Sick of Call of Duty or Fifa, any of those things. I think the only games I will buy from now on will be out of these three. I doubt we'll see a Fallout 4 on this gen, no chance of a GT6 so that only leaves GTAV.

That'll keep me entertained until the next generation of consoles.

On an unrelated note I came across a modded GTA multiplayer game for the first time. Loads of ramps stuck down and what not. Very odd. Didn't know you could mod GTA on the PS3.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:05:41 am by Surprise me. »

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2012, 02:05:22 am »
I take exception to that. He's a sound lad. I think you need look closer to home mate.

Sure. I'm ignorant and I don't know anything about the industry because I'm not hanging off of Drake's nuts. It's cool homie.

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 05:12:26 am »
As with anything else, the industry changes to meet their audience. And some industries also go as far as to change their target audience to a more profitable one, so they can build products specifically for them.

When gaming first started, I think it was very much more a niche hobby. Gradually with consoles and computers becoming more widespread, it gradually changed, so there was a balance between games for the more casual crowd and games for the more hardcore gamers.

Now that gaming is a widespread hobby, its obvious that the mainstream crowd is a lot more marketable to than the hardcore crowd, at least if you're a huge studio like EA or Ubisoft. So its not strange you find games these days are a lot less innovative as they used to me, since that's what these studios feel safe churning out to get their regular income.

Its the exact same way movie making has gone.

Although I saw something once when we were discussing games which I think sums up my feelings very nicely...

Friend 1: Are today's games made for 1 armed, drunken kids with downs-syndrome?
Friend 2: The politically correct term is "casual gamer"
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What has happened to gaming?
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2012, 08:09:17 am »
So wait, I'm a c*nt, I'm not a normal person and a nice one because i confronted you on not knowing what your going on about. You've said nothing to make me change my mind, you only further my point.

You know I could report you, but its a waste of energy and your a waste of space.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2012, 04:48:47 pm »
So wait, I'm a c*nt, I'm not a normal person and a nice one because i confronted you on not knowing what your going on about. You've said nothing to make me change my mind, you only further my point.

You know I could report you, but its a waste of energy and your a waste of space.

Report me for what exactly? :lmao Fucking hell, child.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »
The biggest difference in my view are the characters (except for the setting obviously). In Oblivion and Skyrim you have loads and loads of wankers and don't get to build up a relationship with anyone (except maybe with your companion, but most of them are wankers too). Whereas in Fallout even some of the characters who are supposed to be (at least) a little bit evil like the vampire-guys living in that sewer have something likeable about them. It helps creating a good atmosphere and it helps sucking you in, because you actually start caring about those people you meet. Whereas in a game that's full of twats and idiots (like Skyrim, Oblivion and even GTA IV) you couldn't give a fuck about the NPCs. That's okay for a shooter where you basically rush through every level or area, but it's not okay for an RPG or an open-world game where a lot depends on the right atmosphere...

That's a great point actually, Nico and his mates are such bells that I don't see any point in actually caring about them, whereas in the new Fallouts for example you have Oasis & Harold and then the Super Mutant town, which especially if you've played the originals, you have an emotional attachment with. Even the arseholes in F:NV, like Caesar are brilliant characters with a ton of history and motivation for why exactly they are arseholes.

I suppose just as with music and film, when the mainstream stuff is geared towards the lowest common denominator, it's time to look on the indies.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2012, 05:02:07 pm »
Report me for what exactly? :lmao Fucking hell, child.
for calling him a c*nt? people have been banned for less.

Anyway my take on Uncharted.
One of the best series this gen and Uncharted 2 is one of the best games this gen

in my opinion obviously
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2012, 05:09:05 pm »
Must say, Uncharted did nothing for me.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2012, 05:16:31 pm »
Must say, Uncharted did nothing for me.
What the fuck? You and Nicky agreeing on something?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2012, 05:24:41 pm »
What the fuck? You and Nicky agreeing on something?

Twice in one year, no less. Time to break open the champagne?

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2012, 05:55:44 pm »
There are some really good games.
I love the stuff Bethesda has been making recently, since Oblivion (maybe even since Morrowind, did not play that yet)
I love the open world questing thing, but some linear games are great as well.

I HATE games that do not allow you to play free.
The ones where you can only jump if you are in a jump location.
(one of many things I hate Mass Effect for, even though I liked the story)
I also hate invisible walls (Mass Effect again).
The makers make a map that looks sort of good, but the space to move around in is often smaller then that in games of the late '90's.
I also hate respawning. The biggest bastards in that department are the Call Of Duty games.
You know that when you meet an objective, masses of enemies reappear from out of nowhere, so you have to do the whole fucking map over again.
Also, in Modern Warfare, near the ferris wheel, there are more soldiers spawning then there are people living in the whole of Chernobyl.
Completely unrealistic, as you did just clear that whole area out before.

Anyway, I guess there are good games and bad games.
I don't know why people always get so pissed off when you tell them that, for example (;)) Mass Effect 3 is a pile of crap.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:15:55 pm by Ron »

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »
Uncharted 2 is the best game since RE4

XCOM is brilliant. FIFA is shit, and people only think its good because Pro Evo is even worse

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: What has happened to gaming?
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2012, 06:30:53 pm »
Uncharted 2 is the best game since RE4

XCOM is brilliant. FIFA is shit, and people only think its good because Pro Evo is even worse
if you liked RE4 would you like uncharted?

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2012, 06:36:33 pm »
if you liked RE4 would you like uncharted?

They're not all that similar to be honest.

If you have a good aste in game you'll like UC2 though. And probably Drake's Fortune, but that's been well surpassed since it came out. I'd jump in with Among Thieves if you're looking into the franchise

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2012, 06:55:52 pm »
They're not all that similar to be honest.

If you have a good aste in game you'll like UC2 though. And probably Drake's Fortune, but that's been well surpassed since it came out. I'd jump in with Among Thieves if you're looking into the franchise
cheers ,I just looked on a review site for UC2 looks good and a score of 9.5 usually should mean its a decent game, although it seems to have split views on here a bit :D, but don't know until you try eh
Was close to getting dead space not long ago cos the lad in the shop said it was similar to resident evil, true or not?

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »
cheers ,I just looked on a review site for UC2 looks good and a score of 9.5 usually should mean its a decent game, although it seems to have split views on here a bit :D, but don't know until you try eh
Was close to getting dead space not long ago cos the lad in the shop said it was similar to resident evil, true or not?

Dead Space is very similar to RE4 in space

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2012, 07:17:54 pm »

I dunno about that. That said, I hope Dead Space 3 doesn't copy Resi Five. I want a scary game.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2012, 07:18:10 pm »
going for that first then methinks, UC2 next in line

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What has happened to gaming?
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:02 pm »
I wish they'd release the Uncharted games on the Xbox, only played them for a short while at a mates house and I loved them
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2012, 08:41:39 pm »
I think the best games on this console generation were Demon's and Dark Souls. Innovative and fair online aspect, challenging and rewarding gameplay and above all games that, at least with me, triggered real emotions by simply not holding your hand all the way. Having something tangible to lose made everything feel that much more real and rewarding. I wish more games were like that.

Offline LFC_Top_Luca

• Anny Roader
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »
I really believe that most of the companies nowadays tend to spend much more time in developing the multiplayer aspect of the games that they produce as it can support them with extra amount of money like DLC , Custom attires for you avatar , etc while giving a fuck about the single player or the Co-op  , one of the main reasons I do like a franchise like Borderlands that the co-op supports up-to 4 players and its really dependent on the single player other than the Multiplayer. But Now its tough to find a franchise who actually cares about the hardcore gamers aswell because noobs will provide much more money and will complain less just like the Call of Duty franchise which I really started to hate although I play their games but it started to look like the same game every year ever since MW2.
I believe that one of the main reasons gaming is going down is the gamers and the community . Many players nowadays generate money from games like Call of Duty and Halo which makes the companies have a guaranteed amount of potential users so they don't think about renovation as the same people will buy the game every year plus the noobs who play for fun.
Thats my theory on it , it might be wrong but at least thats my opinion 
http://twitter.com/#!/LFCTopLuca
______♥♥♥_____♥♥♥_____
____♥_____♥_♥_____♥___
____♥______♥______♥___
____♥___Liverpool__♥___
______♥________♥_____
________♥____♥_______
__________ ♥__________
Xbox Live Gamertag : TopLuca

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2012, 12:52:43 am »
I played New Vegas and it as fine. Played Oblivion and Skyrim, and couldn't really get into the setting to be honest. Swords and that isn't really my thing.

You tried S.T.A.L.K.E.R? Set in Chernobyl so it has all the apocalyptic vibes and while it does have shooting, it also has exploration and scavenging.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:47 am »
I wish they'd release the Uncharted games on the Xbox, only played them for a short while at a mates house and I loved them
Won't happen. The Uncharted series is owned by Sony.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2012, 12:04:29 pm »
Won't happen. The Uncharted series is owned by Sony.
just discover this game and now your telling me its only on PS3 and I have a Xbox....noooooooooo

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »
just discover this game and now your telling me its only on PS3 and I have a Xbox....noooooooooo

How did you not know that? :D

Sony will never let Naughty Dog go, they and Sony Santa Monica are basically the aces in their pack. The Last of Us looks like being the PS3's brilliant swansong as GoW2 was for the PS2

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:33 pm »
Plenty of great games on the 360 as well.

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »
Just been to gamestation and dead space 1+2 are £13 but forgot my trade in game at home and also needed to see  if anyone can tell me if one is better than the other ?, will get it next week instead

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2012, 04:16:00 pm »
Just been to gamestation and dead space 1+2 are £13 but forgot my trade in game at home and also needed to see  if anyone can tell me if one is better than the other ?, will get it next week instead

Both very good games. Dead Space 2 has a small multiplayer element and the hardest game mode arguably of any game for quite some time. It, is, brutal. But you don't have to play it, it's just hardcore addon is that difficulty.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2012, 04:44:09 pm »
You can pick up a brand new PS3 for £158 now, great price.

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2012, 04:54:53 pm »
Both very good games. Dead Space 2 has a small multiplayer element and the hardest game mode arguably of any game for quite some time. It, is, brutal. But you don't have to play it, it's just hardcore addon is that difficulty.
number 1 it is first then , never played multiplayer, not even set the Xbox up for internet. Are there a lot of levels in these games ?

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2012, 07:44:01 pm »
You tried S.T.A.L.K.E.R? Set in Chernobyl so it has all the apocalyptic vibes and while it does have shooting, it also has exploration and scavenging.

Brilliant idea I thought, the setting is more realistic and impressive than Fallout, but the gameplay was very disappointing to be honest. All three were riddled with bugs.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2012, 08:25:39 pm »
Grow the fuck up. Stop personal abuse or you'll be warned/muted/banned and please stop being petty. This board is a bonus ball for gamers, don't fuck it up.

Thanks
:wave
Yep.