Author Topic: What has happened to gaming?  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What has happened to gaming?
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 08:31:22 pm »
Ahhhh yes Fahrenheit. Almost forgot about that. Wasn't it called something else in the US? I enjoyed it too!!

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 08:37:56 pm »
Speaking as someone having played Heavy Rain a fair bit... the Walking Dead Game is a giant step forward from Heavy Rain. Blistering stuff.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 09:07:51 pm »
Ahhhh yes Fahrenheit. Almost forgot about that. Wasn't it called something else in the US? I enjoyed it too!!

indigo prophecy

Offline themightybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2012, 09:25:54 pm »
I definitely have felt the same as the OP over the past year or two. I would put it down to the emphasis placed on online gameplay/content - if you don't like online gaming, then it seems like you've got fewer and fewer options for games with engaging, long-lasting offline content nowadays. It's frustrating as some games have shown glimpses of very clever AI or great, fun gameplay, but the single player mode takes about 6 hours to complete - Rainbow Six: New Vegas is an example. I loved playing the co-op with my brother, but it felt as though the offline mode was over too quickly, and there was little incentive to replay it.

Online gaming just doesn't do it for me - whenever I've done it, I've either come across gobshites who love to annoy the hell out of everyone/abuse everyone, hackers, or people who exploit overpowered moves (snaking in Mario Kart DS, cut-back goals in FIFA) or weapon combos (every FPS it seems) - which means you have to follow the crowd to even survive, which isn't really all that fun. Admittedly I'm a bit out of touch with the current crop of games, so there may well be some that I would like, but the general trend isn't looking that promising for us miserable, online-gaming-hating bastards.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »
I definitely have felt the same as the OP over the past year or two. I would put it down to the emphasis placed on online gameplay/content - if you don't like online gaming, then it seems like you've got fewer and fewer options for games with engaging, long-lasting offline content nowadays. It's frustrating as some games have shown glimpses of very clever AI or great, fun gameplay, but the single player mode takes about 6 hours to complete - Rainbow Six: New Vegas is an example. I loved playing the co-op with my brother, but it felt as though the offline mode was over too quickly, and there was little incentive to replay it.

Online gaming just doesn't do it for me - whenever I've done it, I've either come across gobshites who love to annoy the hell out of everyone/abuse everyone, hackers, or people who exploit overpowered moves (snaking in Mario Kart DS, cut-back goals in FIFA) or weapon combos (every FPS it seems) - which means you have to follow the crowd to even survive, which isn't really all that fun. Admittedly I'm a bit out of touch with the current crop of games, so there may well be some that I would like, but the general trend isn't looking that promising for us miserable, online-gaming-hating bastards.

There's plenty of primarily single player games out there. If you only play FPS then there's the problem as most focus on the online aspect now due to the shallow gameplay. Though there are traditionally single player games experimenting with online, like ME3, but that didn't detriment from the main game at all.

Offline themightybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 10:09:53 pm »
There's plenty of primarily single player games out there. If you only play FPS then there's the problem as most focus on the online aspect now due to the shallow gameplay. Though there are traditionally single player games experimenting with online, like ME3, but that didn't detriment from the main game at all.

That's fair enough really - to be honest I haven't looked too hard for games recently but it feels like my favourite genres (FPS, football and driving games) are the most affected and that's where the frustration comes from.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:49 pm »
That's fair enough really - to be honest I haven't looked too hard for games recently but it feels like my favourite genres (FPS, football and driving games) are the most affected and that's where the frustration comes from.

Yeah I understand. Those are genres which focus a lot on online so there's the problem as there's only so much you can do with the same mechanics.  If you don't want to deal with online, move out to other genres are try other stuff. Dishonoured for example is out in shops tomorrow I think? Could try that out. Or go back to older games like Bioshock or Dead Space which are very good single player shooters if you haven't tried them already.

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 11:13:58 pm »
Yeah I understand. Those are genres which focus a lot on online so there's the problem as there's only so much you can do with the same mechanics.  If you don't want to deal with online, move out to other genres are try other stuff. Dishonoured for example is out in shops tomorrow I think? Could try that out. Or go back to older games like Bioshock or Dead Space which are very good single player shooters if you haven't tried them already.
Another option is, if like me you still have access to your old stuff. I still have my C64 and Amiga 500 stored away, and from time to time it really is great to boot them up again, although you will grimace at the graphics by todays standard. I loved the pinball games on the Amiga. I nearly sold them on e-bay, bloody glad I didn't, I love looking back at that stuff.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 11:27:48 pm »
Aha. A movie with shit controls. Brilliant.

Far better than, say, Uncharted Waters, where you got to explore the world, learn some geography, interact with kings, queens and pirates, learn about trade, naval signals and you know, actually play the game instead of watching cutscenes. Far better.

Stop talking shit. Your making out like its full of cut scenes, its not, half of them are interactive like quick time events. The gameplay is good, there is nothing wrong with the mechanics and it had some of the best set pieces in gaming history. Online was decent too, and it looked shit hot, shit boss at the end but it was a great game all the way through I didn't want it to end. Learn about trade and naval signals,.that sounds boring as shit to me, I like to be entertained.

Just out of curiosity, why are the controls shit?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:11:05 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 01:38:34 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2012, 04:55:59 am »
You're not looking hard enough if you can't find games to peak your interest these days.

You do have a point though. Video Games are similar to literature where every story that can be told, has pretty much already been told. It's called mimesis. Everything can be boiled down to the same basic ideas.

But if you can't find joy in the games that have been released in the past year, you could have some deeper issues at play.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2012, 09:34:10 am »
Trials Evolution
Borderlands 2
FTL
Retro City Rampage
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Dishonoured
Far Cry 3
Spelunky
The LEGO Games (Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, etc)
Assassins Creed Series
Braid
Limbo
Rochard
Bit Trip Beat
Luxor Evolved (seriously try it)
Torchlight 2
Space Chem
Darkness II
Blur
Bulletstorm
Skylanders
Portal (and 2)
Shatter
Lone Survivor
Critter Crunch
Blocks That Matter
And Yet It Moves
Binding Of Isaac
Super Meat Boy
Witcher
Vessel

To name but a small few. There are many, many wonderful games to play. However if you do need to move away from the big budget, designed completely by committee games somewhat. However, as in the case of some major name, it doesn't mean big budgets will mean dull bland games. EA were even good at one point this gen with Mirrors Edge, Dead Space and the like.

Console gaming seems to be fading away for me, so I am heading back to PC, as there is so much goodness on the horizon and already out there. The other bright light is XBLA and PSN* with some truly fantastic titles on offer.

If you are struggling to find games that entertain you, I would suggest you are either not looking hard enough, or maybe it is a hobby you have just grown tired of in yourself.

Edit:

Also, if you really are struggling for games today, then use GOG and Steam for some retro fun.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2012, 09:43:54 am »
THIS is what has happened to gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbLOFGSEDo

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:34 am »
Seems nowadays every other game is a FPS set in some futuristic dystopian city, fighting aliens or terrorist militia or some slight variant. Problem is that the majority of gamers crave familiarity and lot of 'indie' games or left field titles go unnoticed and bomb in the sales due to gamers afraid to test the waters for something a little different, consequently ends up being a financial disaster to the makers. Whereas FIFA, COD, GTA, HALO are guarenteed money makers regardless of quality or originality, then especially new/casual gamer will be pulled in by the huge advertising campaigns these games undertake due to the financial muscle of the franchise.

Me personally haven't paid for a game since FIFA11 and the last game I played was Uncharted 2 (rented out) last year. I only regularly play FM12 on the laptop. I've lost the enthusiasm for it I suppose, inevitable really as you get older. At the end of the day people will moan about a lack of originality but when these innovative games are rolled out people need to get out there and buy them, otherwise the big name series will drown out the noise of the little known games and independent creators of the games.

Lastly, if there are 3 titles I should buy/rent from the last 18 months to respark my interest again, what would you suggest? (Not a fan of FPS alien shooters) ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:28:50 am by Bunter »

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2012, 10:37:28 am »
Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3... ;)

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:56 am »
Hope your joking about uncharted, especially 2. One of the best things to happen this generation. 

Its one of the best and one of the worst

On the one hand, its the best game of the generation on PS3 at least
On the other, other games are trying to do the same things it excels at, and failing miserably

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2012, 10:54:49 am »
On another note it's a shame how really good games never see sequels due to lack of sales or other reasons. Will there ever be a sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R for example? Probably not. Beyond Good and Evil? Who fucking knows.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2012, 11:18:08 am »
Seems nowadays every other game is a FPS set in some futuristic dystopian city, fighting aliens or terrorist militia or some slight variant. Problem is that the majority of gamers crave familiarity and lot of 'indie' games or left field titles go unnoticed and bomb in the sales due to gamers afraid to test the waters for something a little different, consequently ends up being a financial disaster to the makers. Whereas FIFA, COD, GTA, HALO are guarenteed money makers regardless of quality or originality, then especially new/casual gamer will be pulled in by the huge advertising campaigns these games undertake due to the financial muscle of the franchise.

Me personally haven't paid for a game since FIFA11 and the last game I played was Uncharted 2 (rented out) last year. I only regularly play FM12 on the laptop. I've lost the enthusiasm for it I suppose, inevitable really as you get older. At the end of the day people will moan about a lack of originality but when these innovative games are rolled out people need to get out there and buy them, otherwise the big name series will drown out the noise of the little known games and independent creators of the games.

Lastly, if there are 3 titles I should buy/rent from the last 18 months to respark my interest again, what would you suggest? (Not a fan of FPS alien shooters) ;)

Indie and PC is where it is at (and XBLA) there is a massive range available.

As for games to get:

Retro City Rampage
Trials Evolution
Torchlight 2
Rayman Origins
One of the LEGO games.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 11:42:50 am »
On another note it's a shame how really good games never see sequels due to lack of sales or other reasons. Will there ever be a sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R for example? Probably not. Beyond Good and Evil? Who fucking knows.
Uh, there are two sequels out for STALKER?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2012, 11:44:53 am »
Uh, there are two sequels out for STALKER?

I meant a full on S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2012, 11:59:52 am »
The PS2 was the height of gaming for me. They were releasing so many games and there were some absolute belters. Seems as though the demand for better graphics takes up a lot of time producing the games so not as many are churned out as games with graphics that aren't so good get slated.

I really enjoyed Arkham City and Infamous 2 last year but nothing this year. All I've played is some of the HD remakes, Fifa and COD.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2012, 02:41:08 pm »
Stop talking shit. Your making out like its full of cut scenes, its not, half of them are interactive like quick time events. The gameplay is good, there is nothing wrong with the mechanics and it had some of the best set pieces in gaming history. Online was decent too, and it looked shit hot, shit boss at the end but it was a great game all the way through I didn't want it to end. Learn about trade and naval signals,.that sounds boring as shit to me, I like to be entertained.

Just out of curiosity, why are the controls shit?

Pal, I got Prometheus on BR the other day; the graphics were much better, the storyline while flawed was better and the acting was better. Oh, and it cost me half of what Uncharted 2 did.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »
Pal, I got Prometheus on BR the other day; the graphics were much better, the storyline while flawed was better and the acting was better. Oh, and it cost me half of what Uncharted 2 did.

What are you even rambling about, pal?

Stop acting like a smart alec, what were so wrong with uncharted's controls, you seem to of swerved that one? What was wrong with the story? What was wrong with the acting?

What was wrong with the game? It felt like a movie (even though it didn't). Think there's like 24/25 levels, what was it about them you didnt like? What characters didnt you like? What was wrong with the gamplay? What was wrong with the game online, didn't you like the leveling system? Didn't you think the SP had any replay value? Didn't you like the locations of the treasure. Didn't you think the recoil on the guns was realistic, was it over the top?

Come come, you've played it.

Marco..............

POLO!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:58:20 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2012, 05:08:49 pm »
I may have swerved from the controls because someone started acting like a right c*nt just because I've offended their dear game.

But fine, I'll play along.

- You start off at a train crash site. Climbing. Brilliant. This takes a long as fuck time as there are scripted falls built into you climbing.
- You return to said train crash site later in the game, effectively making you REPLAY the same level. This is great as it extends the game, thus offering the player 25 (!!) levels.
- This is of course a technique often used in movies, and would work here, but we're all pretending that this is an actual video game.
- After you've climbed out of the train, you go through a silly maze where you can't control the camera, confusing the hell out of you because when it changes position, so does your direction.
- Add to that, since you can't actually control the camera, and it adjusts like shit, you can quite literally walk out of the game.
- Enemies are WAY too easy. Even on the harder difficulty settings. And I'm a casual player.
- While the enemies can't kill you, a five foot drop apparently CAN. This is of course the same Drake that can climb walls like Altair.
- Well, not quite like Altair, because for a game that came out around the same time, Altair's climbing is actually fluid.
- Replay value? Sure. I'll re-watch it in a few months. After I rewatch Twin Peaks, the X-Files, Xena the Warrior Princess and SG1 (if they ever put it back on netflix, that is). Wait. What fucking replay value?!
- I don't play online. What's the point? Where's the enjoyment? To play with some bellwhiff like the ones who insist on watching every single replay and cutscene on FIFA? I'm sorted.

It's an overrated game and an overrated, cliche filled movie geared towards a lazy generation who would prefer pretty sights over actual thinking and challenge.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2012, 05:13:32 pm »
Nicky, have you tried games like Fallout 3? Not a single cutscene there and has heavy focus on the gameplay with a brilliant setting. A tough game too where you can adjust the difficulty on the fly.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »
Nicky, have you tried games like Fallout 3? Not a single cutscene there and has heavy focus on the gameplay with a brilliant setting. A tough game too.

Finished it a few times, mate, New Vegas as well, and then both with mods. Liked it for the most part (F3 more than NV), even if it did lack the humour of the first two.

It's a very rare game to find where you can actually explore an interesting world, find out what happened to it, relate to characters and enjoy the gameplay mechanics as well.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »
They're both exceptional games, my point was that you can find several games a year that are great games suited to your tastes. Maybe you need to look a bit harder and avoid certain hyped up games that really aren't that good, but I'm sure you'll find a couple.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2012, 05:24:45 pm »
Like I said mate, it's very rare, and to be honest, no one in their right mind has the budget to try out different games to find the one gem. You tend to go with general consensus, which is why I got Uncharted. I only finished it because I'm OCD like that, but I wanted to return it after the first time climbing that train.

I've honestly not played a game like F3 since it's come out, and even that is not without flaws.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2012, 05:38:56 pm »

I've honestly not played a game like F3 since it's come out, and even that is not without flaws.

You don't mean Fallout 3 do you? It plays like TES with guns. In fact it is TES with guns in an apocalyptic setting.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 05:40:58 pm »
You don't mean Fallout 3 do you? It plays like TES with guns. In fact it is TES with guns in an apocalyptic setting.
Why is that a bad thing?

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »

Well, yeah, considering they were released by the same company and based on the same engine...

I'll second this:

Why is that a bad thing?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »
I may have swerved from the controls because someone started acting like a right c*nt just because I've offended their dear game.

But fine, I'll play along.

- You start off at a train crash site. Climbing. Brilliant. This takes a long as fuck time as there are scripted falls built into you climbing.
- You return to said train crash site later in the game, effectively making you REPLAY the same level. This is great as it extends the game, thus offering the player 25 (!!) levels.
- This is of course a technique often used in movies, and would work here, but we're all pretending that this is an actual video game.
- After you've climbed out of the train, you go through a silly maze where you can't control the camera, confusing the hell out of you because when it changes position, so does your direction.
- Add to that, since you can't actually control the camera, and it adjusts like shit, you can quite literally walk out of the game.
- Enemies are WAY too easy. Even on the harder difficulty settings. And I'm a casual player.
- While the enemies can't kill you, a five foot drop apparently CAN. This is of course the same Drake that can climb walls like Altair.
- Well, not quite like Altair, because for a game that came out around the same time, Altair's climbing is actually fluid.
- Replay value? Sure. I'll re-watch it in a few months. After I rewatch Twin Peaks, the X-Files, Xena the Warrior Princess and SG1 (if they ever put it back on netflix, that is). Wait. What fucking replay value?!
- I don't play online. What's the point? Where's the enjoyment? To play with some bellwhiff like the ones who insist on watching every single replay and cutscene on FIFA? I'm sorted.

It's an overrated game and an overrated, cliche filled movie geared towards a lazy generation who would prefer pretty sights over actual thinking and challenge.

Bit angry aren't you. Just because it's not your cup of tea. So everyone online is a bellwiff? Because a few people on FIFA watch replays the entire online community are bells even though some have probably never played FIFA.

It's not a movie, it's an action/adventure game and won lots of awards for being so. Did you play AC? Altair? Fluid? Lmao, you never played it did you. Five foot drop can't kill you, I've fell lots of times off beams, buses etc all five foot drops or more. Infact on uncharted i think the health system is fairly good. You can't walk through bullets and the cover system is well implemented, certainly more so than Gears of War. I think the story is good, bar the last boss. There's nothing wrong with the camera, it adds a cinematic feel for me, its more immersive. There's great locales in the game, icy mountains, jungle, shambala. The set pieces, I felt like Indiana jones, barely escaping by the skin of my teeth,,buildings falling down around me, on top of me. Being chased on a train, it was great. It wasnt a film, I was controlling a character, I was in control. The characters are great, you have sully a father figure, kind of a love triangle, a deceitful friend and a eastern European trying to kill you and get the power for himself. It was great, I was gutted when it ended. If you don't understand the audience it went after that isn't the games fault, or,the developers or the publishers. It won numerous awards from basically every major gaming publication. That still might not make it your cup of tea but don't label,it a film because people who played it, developed it,,criticised it know far more about the industry than you and wasn't so ignorant. Which is what you are. Nobody is telling you what to like but you come across as ignorant.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:02:41 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What has happened to gaming?
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 06:04:14 pm »
Don't call me a c*nt again.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2012, 06:09:08 pm »
Don't call me a c*nt again.

Well, if you act like a normal person, maybe people won't be calling you that?  ::)

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What has happened to gaming?
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2012, 06:15:41 pm »
I am a normal person.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2012, 07:10:46 pm »
Well, yeah, considering they were released by the same company and based on the same engine...

I'll second this:

You said you never played a game like it. Try Oblivion, New Vegas or Skyrim. All are similar.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 07:11:10 pm »
Yes, just not a generally nice one.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »
You said you never played a game like it. Try Oblivion, New Vegas or Skyrim. All are similar.

I played New Vegas and it as fine. Played Oblivion and Skyrim, and couldn't really get into the setting to be honest. Swords and that isn't really my thing.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:58 pm »

The biggest difference in my view are the characters (except for the setting obviously). In Oblivion and Skyrim you have loads and loads of wankers and don't get to build up a relationship with anyone (except maybe with your companion, but most of them are wankers too). Whereas in Fallout even some of the characters who are supposed to be (at least) a little bit evil like the vampire-guys living in that sewer have something likeable about them. It helps creating a good atmosphere and it helps sucking you in, because you actually start caring about those people you meet. Whereas in a game that's full of twats and idiots (like Skyrim, Oblivion and even GTA IV) you couldn't give a fuck about the NPCs. That's okay for a shooter where you basically rush through every level or area, but it's not okay for an RPG or an open-world game where a lot depends on the right atmosphere...

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 09:05:53 pm »
The biggest difference in my view are the characters (except for the setting obviously). In Oblivion and Skyrim you have loads and loads of wankers and don't get to build up a relationship with anyone (except maybe with your companion, but most of them are wankers too). Whereas in Fallout even some of the characters who are supposed to be (at least) a little bit evil like the vampire-guys living in that sewer have something likeable about them. It helps creating a good atmosphere and it helps sucking you in, because you actually start caring about those people you meet. Whereas in a game that's full of twats and idiots (like Skyrim, Oblivion and even GTA IV) you couldn't give a fuck about the NPCs. That's okay for a shooter where you basically rush through every level or area, but it's not okay for an RPG or an open-world game where a lot depends on the right atmosphere...

I'm just imagining you approaching a far-off uncharted, modest village on the outskirts of Skyrim on your reliant steed, as all the townspeople come out of their huts and cease what they're doing only to pause and wonder for a second what Jay from The Inbetweeners is doing in Tamriel when they hear cries of "NPC WANKERS!!!" echoing in the distance.