Author Topic: Liverpool City Council  (Read 111958 times)

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
Re: Liverpool City Council
« Reply #520 on: July 9, 2023, 03:57:37 pm »
Was on a bus in the city centre the other day and really noticed how litter strewn the streets were.  Such a shame.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: July 9, 2023, 05:09:34 pm »
Parts of the City Centre are a disgrace and some of the shite bars that have appeared over the last couple of years don’t help.

I know the Council are strapped for cash but they should at least make an attempt at making the Centre clean. Mind you the real culprits are the gobshites who dump there litter in the first place.

Is the correct answer.

A few months ago I went to Zorbas for a meal. On the short walk back to the car, which was parked just off Berry St., we saw one bladdered girl spewing her guts all over the pavement, one dirty twat openly pissing in the street, and loads of litter everywhere.

Town is fucking manky, and the [useless] council should do a better job of keeping it clean, but the average punters that we saw were pissed up selfish c*nts.

Its why I avoid town if possible now, unless we're up in the Hope Street area.  Its fucking horrible.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #522 on: July 9, 2023, 05:49:03 pm »
Maybe the council can advise hotels to cut down on stag and hen do’s. The city centre is overflowing with the fuckers.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: July 9, 2023, 06:17:19 pm »
Maybe the council should stop spending £70m a pop putting in cycle lanes and invest in more street cleaners and equipment?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: July 9, 2023, 06:50:38 pm »
I cycle through the city centre quite often very early on a weekend morning, and the street cleaners are always out in force. Its not that the council aren't doing anything, its that they can't keep up with the amount of rubbish. The problem is the masses of drunk people that get takeaways and just drop the litter wherever they are. Maybe takeaways should be banned - eat-in only. Or if you want a takeaway meal, you'll have to bring your own re-usable containers.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: July 9, 2023, 07:07:16 pm »
I realise it's an attitude problem. A lady just pointed out a young lad to me. Sitting outside his house, eating shelled nuts. Just a pile of shells on the pavement around his feet. Then he went back into his house.

I've been in town early on a Sunday morning too, and I've seen the state of Wood Street and Concert Square after the night before. It's embarrassing. But honestly, if the cleaners can't keep up, then that just tells me there aren't enough cleaners.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: July 9, 2023, 09:03:21 pm »
Chewy is a big problem and always makes the pavements look awful and in need of a good jet wash, but its practically impossible to lift. It's been a massive issue since the early '90's - I'd be interested to know if other town centres suffer.

The litter and the chewys are all scumy people dropping it. I'm not sure what the latest figures are but I'd guess LCC spends over £10m / year on street sweeping (could be more), they really shouldn't have to increase that expenditure to keep up with the ignorance of residents and visitors.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #527 on: July 10, 2023, 09:24:05 am »
Chewy is a big problem and always makes the pavements look awful and in need of a good jet wash, but its practically impossible to lift. It's been a massive issue since the early '90's - I'd be interested to know if other town centres suffer.

The litter and the chewys are all scumy people dropping it. I'm not sure what the latest figures are but I'd guess LCC spends over £10m / year on street sweeping (could be more), they really shouldn't have to increase that expenditure to keep up with the ignorance of residents and visitors.

i was walking along the other day through a 'nice' area in west derby and noticed all these 'chewing gum' stains on the pavement and said to my mate 'where's all that come from? this is a nice area with not many kids about'

he said -it's 'chewing gum lichen - not chewing gum yer dope'

and he was right - i learnt something new that day

but yeh, in town it tends to be scummy litter-droppers

chewing gum lichen:

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #528 on: July 10, 2023, 09:24:13 am »
For sure there are a lot of selfish bastards when it comes to chucking litter. But there are simple steps that the council can take to help minimize these things.

One is putting in street urinals in places with the most public urination. If people don't have somewhere to piss, they'll go in the street. Some people will stiill piss in the street of course, but if a public urinal gets pissed in by 100 people in a night, its still 100 less people pissing on the street.

The second is putting big bins out next to places with loads of takeaways. Again, some selfish bastards will litter anyway, but if you can make the street cleaners job easier for the next day, you should.

Maybe the council should stop spending £70m a pop putting in cycle lanes and invest in more street cleaners and equipment?

I don't see why the two are related, or why cycle paths should take a back seat over any other part of council spending? It's critical infrastructure

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: July 10, 2023, 12:00:55 pm »

I don't see why the two are related, or why cycle paths should take a back seat over any other part of council spending? It's critical infrastructure

Because cleaning and maintaining highways and pavements should be a higher priority than spending a fortune installing cycle lanes that are routinely ignored by cyclists?

Maybe in an ideal world the council shouldn't have to be spending more than £10m a year keeping the city clean. But we don't live in an ideal world so clearly they do.

The pavements are a state. That's a fact. We can debate budgets all we like, but clearly there's a gap between what the council currently does and what needs to be done.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 12:04:18 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: July 10, 2023, 12:09:53 pm »
Because cleaning and maintaining highways and pavements should be a higher priority than spending a fortune installing cycle lanes that are routinely ignored by cyclists?

Maybe in an ideal world the council shouldn't have to be spending more than £10m a year keeping the city clean. But we don't live in an ideal world so clearly they do.

The pavements are a state. That's a fact. We can debate budgets all we like, but clearly there's a gap between what the council currently does and what needs to be done.

i know coz cars don't do any environmental or health damage do they?

let's concentrate on making more of them!

fuck clean non-emission-emitting damned bicycles

let's suck on car exhausts whilst shopping!
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #531 on: July 10, 2023, 12:13:49 pm »

The second is putting big bins out next to places with loads of takeaways. Again, some selfish bastards will litter anyway, but if you can make the street cleaners job easier for the next day, you should.

There should be more bins full stop - and every town/city suffers from this.

I won't drop litter (and I've drilled this into my kids, too) but many have been the time I've had to carry rubbish round for ages when in a town/city, waiting to pass a bin. There's certainly way fewer than there used to be (again, not limited to Liverpool)

If everyone was like me (and the majority of people, who similarly won't drop litter) then not having many bins would be fine. But they're not, and that will always be the case. Some would put their litter in a bin if there was a bin handy; if there's none around, then they won't carry it round searching for one.

Others saying 'well people just shouldn't drop litter' is just burying heads in the sand and we just end up with a lot of litter.

Just bring back bins, FFS!!

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: July 10, 2023, 12:18:40 pm »

There should be more bins full stop - and every town/city suffers from this.

I won't drop litter (and I've drilled this into my kids, too) but many have been the time I've had to carry rubbish round for ages when in a town/city, waiting to pass a bin. There's certainly way fewer than there used to be (again, not limited to Liverpool)

If everyone was like me (and the majority of people, who similarly won't drop litter) then not having many bins would be fine. But they're not, and that will always be the case. Some would put their litter in a bin if there was a bin handy; if there's none around, then they won't carry it round searching for one.

Others saying 'well people just shouldn't drop litter' is just burying heads in the sand and we just end up with a lot of litter.

Just bring back bins, FFS!!

amen brother - when i take my nieces and nephews out i always make them carry their rubbish until we come across a bin

they're always moaning 'oh, we've walked for ages - where are the bins?'

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: July 10, 2023, 12:21:13 pm »
on the bins thing, has anyone else noticed that there is now less of them but the ones that have remained are now massive?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #534 on: July 10, 2023, 12:25:33 pm »
Yeah, I refuse to litter and feels like I am always looking for a bin in town. There's plenty areas that can just use one more

The bin in Greenbank Park was overflowing last week, disgusting, burst open, animals picking at it. For such a gorgeous park too...

Sefton Park has wheelie bins in it which is a good shout

I don't think I even see people chewing gum these days but what a disgusting habit if you end up lobbing it on the floor. That's the thing, the chud you see has possibly been there years as it's hard to remove.

Not as arsed about the graffiti tag on everything, but that's another thing. Graffiti on street signs and such

Been years since I've had an all-nighter, but hit town early on a Sunday and go through Bold St and into Concert Square and woooow... The rubbish

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: July 10, 2023, 12:55:07 pm »
i know coz cars don't do any environmental or health damage do they?

let's concentrate on making more of them!

fuck clean non-emission-emitting damned bicycles

let's suck on car exhausts whilst shopping!

That's a really pathetic response there, mate. I'm talking about cleaning pavements and getting rid of potholes, not churning out cars. As I recall, the council couldn't wait to do away with Bus Lanes as they did nothing to discourage car usage.

Are you expecting cycle lanes to succeed where bus lanes failed? I've nearly been run over by bikes on a pavement - when there was a cycle lane literally two feet away for the cyclist to use.

Popcorn's Art

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: July 10, 2023, 01:11:31 pm »
That's a really pathetic response there, mate. I'm talking about cleaning pavements and getting rid of potholes, not churning out cars. As I recall, the council couldn't wait to do away with Bus Lanes as they did nothing to discourage car usage.

Are you expecting cycle lanes to succeed where bus lanes failed? I've nearly been run over by bikes on a pavement - when there was a cycle lane literally two feet away for the cyclist to use.

ah so you're getting rid of potholes for what then???

oh yeh - cars

and do you know that more people are killed on the pavement by................

cars

i'm expecting cycle lanes to be used by cyclists responsibly - and the same can be said for the cars on the roads

and i am both a driver and cyclist for what it's worth

and if were talking about littering, well, cars litter the streets as they take up all the pavements that YOU have to walk around when going down most streets - you may even have to go into the road and risk your life with TA-DA other cars

the majority of cars are used about 10% of the day - the rest of the time they litter our streets

and when they are used - guess what? they choke the people

you really need to think about which side you are on - especially the next time you have to walk onto the road with your kids

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: July 10, 2023, 02:30:14 pm »
For some context there, around 1,000 people a year in Merseyside are thought to die prematurely due to air pollution (almost twice as many as in Birmingham - which is a bigger city):

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-51226192

From personal experience, Liverpool is nightmare to cycle around and surely one of the worst big cities in the UK for cyclists. Dangerous, aggressive drivers who don't want you on their road space, complete lack of decent cycle infrastructure. Cycle paths are as critical an investment as spending money on roads.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 03:05:25 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: July 10, 2023, 03:28:22 pm »
Cycle paths are as critical an investment as spending money on roads.

I agree, broadly, and think there should be far more pedestrianised areas as well.

The problem with cycle lanes is that they're all neutered in favour of cars. The primacy needs to be reversed, as people won't pay attention to all the 'official' cycle lanes when they make you give way to turning cars, or stop at beg buttons every 100 yards. The whole point of a cycle network is to create a free flowing system where people are happy to cycle because it's convenient. It's not convenient to have to stop/start all the time. If you've been to Amsterdam and cycled, it's cyclist priority at things like roundabouts, it blew my mind. whereas the huge cycle investment on Princes Avenue just doesn't even touch the roundabout - if you come from the park, you're expected to cross a dicey zebra crossing onto an unmarked pavement on a narrow corner (often adorned with bins waiting to be collected) and then you have to press the button to cross again. It's awful design.

That's before you factor in people parking in cycle lanes as well.

It's the worst of both worlds really as you get the likes of Red Beret whinging about the investment in cycle lanes 'and then people don't even use them', you get motorists annoyed with how much is spent and 'not used', and you get pedestrians annoyed that in certain places people are directed onto the pavement anyway.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: July 10, 2023, 03:47:44 pm »
I agree with you there. I used to cycle down Princes Avenue every day before that cycle path, and it was a nightmate. Potholes everywhere, cars parked on the street to make it narrower, and because it's a two lane road cars thought it should still be treated like a motorway so you had people careering past within 1 meter of you at 50mph+. And then at the end of it all having to try and move into the inside lane to get around the roundabout to enter Princes Park. Terrifying. I was begging for a cycle path.

Then to see they spent all that money and time, and the cycle path is interrupted by central car-islands every 100m. Absolute joke, and perfectly illustrative of how cycle lanes are just tacked on as an afterthought.

I live in Barcelona now and the cycle paths here are a god send. All seperated from the road, except at junctions where cyclists always have right of way to cars turning. Can get anywhere in the city within 30 minutes max. I pay €60 a year for the bike rental scheme and I don't even think about needing a car. We are such a long way from that in Liverpool, or most other places in the UK. So much less aggro towards cycling here as well. The attitude towards cycling in the UK is toxic - to the extent where you have some drivers deliberately passing too close as a reminder of who's boss.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 04:18:21 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #540 on: July 10, 2023, 04:33:24 pm »
^
I think the general attitude all round in the UK is rather toxic. Cyclists will see a manifestation of that.

I'd hate to cycle these days. I ran my last bike into the ground. I was doing a good 200 miles or so per week as an outreach community care worker. Since learning to drive I've not cycled at all. Driving here is bad enough. I don't enjoy driving in Liverpool anymore, although the problem is countrywide rather than just citywide.

I have to slalom all over the roads to avoid monster sized potholes, sunken grids, raised grids, ruts, sinkholes and all manner of shite on the road surface. That's in a car too, so goodness only knows how cyclists fare on the same surfaces. I see them all over the road trying to avoid yet a other sunken grid or major pothole.

I'm sick and tired of seeing holes in the road that the council have spray painted marks around to show what needs to be replaced, only to see it left for months on end with no work done.

I had to replace a tyre only last week due to hitting an absolute bastard of a hole on the carriageway on Prince's Way, Seaforth recently. The roads are dangerous for cars, so it must be a nightmare for cyclists.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #541 on: July 10, 2023, 04:36:34 pm »
As regards litter, it's not just town centre, next time you come off a local motorway, just look at the verges on the exit slip road. People just toss their shite out of the window, I'd make them lick it up.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: July 10, 2023, 04:52:53 pm »
it just (h)annoys me when people blame cycle paths and cyclists for the ills of driving and cramped town centres - it ain't their fault there's a million cars driving all at the same time bonnet to boot

and you cannot call out EVERY cyclist because some (well, a lot  to be fair) soft shites ride too fast on the pavement, or without due care and attention on both the pavement and  off it -  because for every gobshite cyclist you times that number by a thousand for gobshite drivers

we need MORE cycle paths and to make them safe so people will feel safe using them - build them and they will come

and fair enough regarding potholes - they are a nuisance to both drivers and cyclists (but with cyclists more likely to come off worse) - but a dedicated cycle path/lane would not suffer from potholes because potholes (as we all know) are exacerbated by, as well as poor road maintenance, vehicles not bicycles

imagine being able to cycle from home to town without having to be in traffic - man, that would be bliss

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #543 on: July 10, 2023, 04:54:02 pm »

Yes. I work in Manc, and it's at least as bad.

My solution would be to give feral scumbags engaging in anti-social/threatening/thieving/vandalising behaviour community service orders, then make them clear the gum by hand. With tea-spoons.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: July 10, 2023, 05:27:02 pm »
ah so you're getting rid of potholes for what then???

oh yeh - cars

and do you know that more people are killed on the pavement by................

cars

i'm expecting cycle lanes to be used by cyclists responsibly - and the same can be said for the cars on the roads

and i am both a driver and cyclist for what it's worth

and if were talking about littering, well, cars litter the streets as they take up all the pavements that YOU have to walk around when going down most streets - you may even have to go into the road and risk your life with TA-DA other cars

the majority of cars are used about 10% of the day - the rest of the time they litter our streets

and when they are used - guess what? they choke the people

you really need to think about which side you are on - especially the next time you have to walk onto the road with your kids

i am neither a driver nor a cyclist. I am a committed pedestrian. Have you ever been on a fucking bus thinking your teeth are going to shatter because of the state of the roads?  They're not only used by cars you know. Maybe we should pedestrianise all the roads in Merseyside and install fucking zip lines so people can fly into work?

I've seen mums taking their kids on escooters along pavements and roads, without a helmet. Maybe you should be having a word with them about their kids?

Fuck's sake. What a world we live in when wanting decent roads and clean pavements is called fucking whinging. Especially when being run by a council that is historically incompetent over how it spends its money. :butt

Popcorn's Art

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #545 on: July 10, 2023, 07:00:23 pm »
Just so ya know,it's not just a Liverpool thing.Same arguements over here,cyclists v drivers v pedestrians,trains falling apart,stations falling apart,potholes,sidewalks are fucked, trash,dogshit in plastic bags left anywhere cos there's a lack of bins and people don't wanna hold on to it.The druggies and the tents.It  a mess.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: July 11, 2023, 07:16:09 am »
i am neither a driver nor a cyclist. I am a committed pedestrian. Have you ever been on a fucking bus thinking your teeth are going to shatter because of the state of the roads?  They're not only used by cars you know. Maybe we should pedestrianise all the roads in Merseyside and install fucking zip lines so people can fly into work?

I've seen mums taking their kids on escooters along pavements and roads, without a helmet. Maybe you should be having a word with them about their kids?

Fuck's sake. What a world we live in when wanting decent roads and clean pavements is called fucking whinging. Especially when being run by a council that is historically incompetent over how it spends its money. :butt

i didn't say you were whinging - just your criticisms of cycling and cyclist are misplaced

you

Because cleaning and maintaining highways and pavements should be a higher priority than spending a fortune installing cycle lanes that are routinely ignored by cyclists

I've nearly been run over by bikes on a pavement - when there was a cycle lane literally two feet away for the cyclist to use

all anti-cycling - where is your criticism of cars?

Maybe we should pedestrianise all the roads in Merseyside and install fucking zip lines so people can fly into work?

you accuse me of being pathetic - well, touché, but you know what? it would be better than making more roads which would lead to more potholes for your uncomfortable bus journeys

and now you're going on about escooters and stupid parenting - that has absolutely nothing to do with cyclists

you definitely ARE whinging now - instead, why don't YOU have a word with them seeing as they piss you off so much

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: July 11, 2023, 08:30:17 am »
I won't move for cyclists on the pavement.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: July 11, 2023, 08:38:36 am »
i didn't say you were whinging - just your criticisms of cycling and cyclist are misplaced

you

all anti-cycling - where is your criticism of cars?

you accuse me of being pathetic - well, touché, but you know what? it would be better than making more roads which would lead to more potholes for your uncomfortable bus journeys

and now you're going on about escooters and stupid parenting - that has absolutely nothing to do with cyclists

you definitely ARE whinging now - instead, why don't YOU have a word with them seeing as they piss you off so much

Mate, you went off the deep end for some reason over something inconsequential. You opened up with both barrels of extreme sarcasm and bollocks over my single initial comment. You completely lost your shit because I said maintaining highways was more important to me than building cycle lanes. It was a complete overreaction.  I just responded to that in as measured a way as I could.

There is no criticism of cars in my comments because this wasn't about cars. It was about the council going £20m over budget building a cycle lane that is only getting limited use and that has further constricted a major road out of the city, whilst other roads are dangerous to drive on due to their condition and brand new pavements that are so grubby they're almost black. I'm only guessing, but having a gridlocked city centre with loads of vehicles idling or slow moving traffic producing exhaust can't be good for the air quality.

You're not going to get rid of cars, and as both myself and SoS have pointed out it's not just cars that use roads - so it makes a lot of sense to ensure they are in good condition. You never picked up on the point I raised about bus lanes for example - and buses carry far more people than bikes ever will.

It seems more to me that you despise cars, even though you yourself drive. I don't know quite why you hate them so much. I mean yeah, they pollute, and they are dangerous in careless and reckless hands. So are bikes, so are escooters. You get hit by a careless cyclist who is doing around 15-20mph, then at best you're limping home; at worst you're taking a trip to A&E to see if you have a broken wrist.

I'm not drawing some false equivalency here. My criticism of cycle lanes is that from everything I have seen with my own eyes that they are barely used. I've been down Princes Boulevard many times and been passed by cyclists on the walkway, when the cycle lane is right there. You're taking this as evidence that I have a vendetta against cyclists. No, I have a bugbear about people who use their vehicles irresponsibly.   I don't see cars driving on the pavement and I don't walk in the road.

You're reaction is quite OTT and rather embarrassing. So I'll leave this discussion as the topic is getting derailed. I stand by my comments. The council should spend more on cleaning pavements and maintaining roads in a workable condition.  It was mentioned that the council's cleaning budget is £10m - that's only half of the cost overrun for building the cycle lane on Lime Street. I'm pretty sure they could increase the cleaning budget if they could build cycle lanes a bit more competently and stop picking contractors who go bust or cream money off the top.

If that means they need to spend a bit less on cycle lanes then I don't mind. I'm sure they will get built eventually, but in a city so strapped for cash, going £20m over budget is a bit extreme - but perhaps I'm in a minority. I hope that eventually they get more use, but mindsets take years to change. In any case, I don't know what's eating you up but you need to chill out a bit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 08:59:55 am by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #549 on: July 11, 2023, 09:16:06 am »
I think the nub of Red Beret’s argument is the inefficient way the Council spend their money, often with a whiff of corruption going back decades.

It was only a couple of years ago that we had the Chippy Tits involvement in the demolition of the flyovers which resulted in his sons security firm providing crossing attendants to help students cross the road.

And there are still fucking huge potholes by St Patrick’s in Park Road.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: July 11, 2023, 09:17:43 am »
Mate, you went off the deep end for some reason over something inconsequential. You opened up with both barrels of extreme sarcasm and bollocks. I just reacted to that in as measured a way as I could.

There is no criticism of cars in my comments because this wasn't about cars. It was about the council going £30m over budget building a cycle lane that is only getting limited use and that has further constricted a major road out of the city, whilst other roads are dangerous to drive on due to their condition and brand new pavements that are so grubby they're almost black. I'm only guessing, but having a gridlocked city centre with loads of vehicles idling and producing exhaust can't be good for the air quality.

You're not going to get rid of cars, and as both myself and SoS have pointed out it's not just cars that use roads - so it makes a lot of sense to ensure they are in good condition. You never picked up on the point I raised about bus lanes for example - and buses carry far more people than bikes ever will.

It seems more to me that you despise cars, even though you yourself drive. I don't know quite why you hate them so much. I mean yeah, they pollute, and they are dangerous in careless and reckless hands. So are bikes, so are escooters. You get hit by a careless cyclist who is doing around 15-20mph, then at best you're limping home; at worst you're taking a trip to A&E to see if you have a broken wrist.

I'm not drawing some false equivalency here. My criticism of cycle lanes is that from everything I have seen with my own eyes that they are barely used. I've been down Princes Boulevard many times and been passed by cyclists on the walkway, when the cycle lane is right there. You're taking this as evidence that I have a vendetta against cyclists. No, I have a bugbear about people who use their vehicles irresponsibly.

You're acting rather hysterically to be honest, going on like I want nothing but roads. It's quite silly and embarrassing. So I'll leave this discussion. I stand by my comments. The council should spend more on cleaning pavements and maintaining roads in a workable condition. I don't know what's eating you up but you need to chill out a bit.

i'm 'going off at the deep end'? why because i challenged your view on cycle lanes and cyclists?

glad to see that you were measured and calm and i was full of hysterical sarcasm  ::)

buses still pollute - but yeh they're much better than single cars

i don't despise cars - where have i said that? again, you're putting words into my mouth - but i despise lots and lots and lots of traffic that pollutes, causes congestion and, i'm surprised you haven't noticed this, but that also kill a lot of people including cyclists... and pedestrians like you too

i don't think there's a person on here who would love to have more traffic going past their home

so your criticism of cycle lanes is that you 'don't see them being used'? ah so you can magically observe every cycle lane can you?

but if you notice a cycle lane that is not full of cyclists then you need to ask why - and that answer is simple, because we prioritise cars and drivers and not because cyclists don't use them

there are cyclists who are dumb fucks going through red lights, driving on pavements and being arseholes... but it's not as if dumb fucks in cars don't drive through red lights, bump up on kerbs, park illegally on pavements and kill people every single day but yet we still seem to calmly 'accept' that as part of driving

you really don't realise it but you are perpetuating the hackneyed image that cyclists are idiots (they don't use cycle lanes, cycle on the pavement and nearly knocked me over) and in doing so then drivers will continue to treat all cyclists as second class road users because of the bad ones

i have never seen a cyclist crash into a car and kill the driver

i personally, have tried to cut down on my driving at every opportunity - and i don't think 'woohoo aren't i great' but at least i'm trying to my my 'little' bit towards a better cleaner life/city/country/world

escooters are a different debate - they are not bicycles

and i am completely chilled - i have no personal beef with you mate, we are just debating an issue

hope i haven't been too 'hysterical' but i am passionate about a cleaner safer world

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: July 11, 2023, 09:25:30 am »
Mate, you're taking this awfully personal, so I'll say no more on the matter.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: July 11, 2023, 09:31:45 am »
I think the nub of Red Beret’s argument is the inefficient way the Council spend their money, often with a whiff of corruption going back decades.

It was only a couple of years ago that we had the Chippy Tits involvement in the demolition of the flyovers which resulted in his sons security firm providing crossing attendants to help students cross the road.

And there are still fucking huge potholes by St Patrick’s in Park Road.

Yeah, pretty much this. It would not surprise me at all if it came out that shady people were raking in a fortune off the back of these works. It's just another construction project after all.

Popcorn's Art

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: July 11, 2023, 09:37:36 am »
Mate, you're taking this awfully personal, so I'll say no more on the matter.

the irony

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: July 11, 2023, 10:04:22 am »
the irony

Dude, you're just trying to turn everything I say back at me at this point, so I'm not going to engage. You kicked off over a few throwaway comments. You say you're chilled  but your posts are very aggressive. I'm not perpetuating any myths about cyclists, I'm simply speaking from personal experience.

I'm not going down this rabbit hole with you. If I've been condescending or offensive in any way, then I'm genuinely sorry as it wasn't my intent. But you have taken what I've said and run in completely the wrong direct with it. You've created some weird narrative based on my comments and every time I've tried to clarify my opinion you have just dug deeper.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I'm describing the sense I'm getting from your words.  If you can't see that then again I'm sorry  and I'm sorry if I'm misreading you.

In any case, let's just agree to disagree and move on. This isn't a discussion where mods need to be getting involved.

Popcorn's Art

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: July 11, 2023, 10:10:54 am »
Dude, you're just trying to turn everything I say back at me at this point, so I'm not going to engage. You kicked off over a few throwaway comments. You say you're chilled  but your posts are very aggressive. I'm not perpetuating any myths about cyclists, I'm simply speaking from personal experience.

I'm not going down this rabbit hole with you. If I've been condescending or offensive in any way, then I'm genuinely sorry as it wasn't my intent. But you have taken what I've said and run on completely the wrong direct with it. You've some weird narrative based on my comments and every time I've tried to clarify my opinion you have just dug deeper.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I'm describing the sense I'm getting from your words.  If you can't see that then again I'm sorry  and I'm sorry if I'm misreading you.

In any case, let's just agree to disagree and move on. This isn't a discussion where mods need to be getting involved.

i don't think i've been aggressive at all - so we'll agree to differ on that too

it's cool

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: July 11, 2023, 12:25:19 pm »
There’s no culture of commuting by bike as there’s no history of cycling infrastructure across the whole of the UK.

Make it safer for kids to cycle and you’ll see an improvement in cycling in the country. Anyone whose ever cycled on the continent will tell you that the attitude towards cyclists is completely different to the confrontational nature in this country.

Cycling is a win for everybody. It’s just that nowadays the car reigns supreme, unlike when I was a kid. There’s too many unnecessary journeys by car.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: July 11, 2023, 01:11:00 pm »
Walk and run where possible I reckon

I do get a bus occasionally

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: July 11, 2023, 02:29:15 pm »
There’s no culture of commuting by bike as there’s no history of cycling infrastructure across the whole of the UK.

Make it safer for kids to cycle and you’ll see an improvement in cycling in the country. Anyone whose ever cycled on the continent will tell you that the attitude towards cyclists is completely different to the confrontational nature in this country.

Cycling is a win for everybody. It’s just that nowadays the car reigns supreme, unlike when I was a kid. There’s too many unnecessary journeys by car.

People don't want to cycle in the UK weather though - I got told to go fuck myself on here for suggesting to a poster who was crying about train fares into town, that instead of whinging about it, do something, fuck the train off and get a moped or cycle. Their excuse was cos they didn't wanna get wet and cold.

I can see the point though, who wants to get piss wet through going to work or going home? Then you've got to wear a backpack with a laptop, phone, dinner etc and if you come off and land on that, you're potentially looking at a broken back.

I get where RB is coming from too, cycle lanes by us are never used, the roads are a fucking disgrace, pot holes everywhere - thanks to the Tory c*nts in their Chauffeur Driven £200k Range Rovers.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: July 11, 2023, 02:34:11 pm »